Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kuyote

kuyote

Something that would be real helpful is a user contributed theme db. You might already have it, or maybe it's not possible. You provide some great themes, but they aren't for the assets that I've been able to purchase yet. Thanks again!

AliAkbar and Arkade like this.
  2. Arkade

Arkade

Great idea. Maybe a github project or something?

3. AceSV

AceSV

Hello,
    I'm having a problem. I wanted to create a map where rooms have ceilings and corridors are open, but when there is a high corridor next to a low room, it generates a wall on the corridor and not the room. It is unsightly, and as you can see below, the ceiling tile blocks the doorway, making the entrance completely useless. Is there a setting I can adjust to avoid this happening?
    upload_2017-9-14_12-19-39.png
    (Also I've got floating trees, but this is less important)

AliAkbar likes this.
  4. MangeyD

MangeyD

is there a list of themes that are available as I think I have several of the assets kits that I have seen in use throughout this thread and even though I have been wanting this asset for ages I only just grabbed it during this sale!!

Really looking forward to what I can do with it.

AliAkbar likes this.
  5. Arkade

Arkade

Have you seen the sample content page?

AliAkbar likes this.
  6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @Arkade Thank you for using DA and for the feedback. I've ported everything to Post Processing Stack for the next update. The simple city builder sample demos would be a good place to start

Arkade likes this.
  7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Glenndroid The art assets from the tech demo are not included. I've purchased the art from the asset store to build that game

Here's the list:

Characters

Environments

Weapons

Effects

UI

The rest of the stuff was custom built (projectiles, animation, AI, player controller etc). Most of the game logic was ported over to the free sample Survival Shooter which you can find in the Samples folder

For context, the tech demo:

antoripa and Glenndroid like this.
  8. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @ArturoSR This issue has been fixed a while ago. I'll be submitted a new build shortly.
    Hey @ArturoSR, sorry for the issues, the 2D demos was caused due to the new nav system and was fixed a while ago. I'll be publishing a new update by today. I tried sending you a copy but the forum doesn't let me start a conversation with you. Please PM me for the latest version if you want access to it right away

Regarding the objects attached to the elevated wall, they can be clamped to the ground by attaching a script from the library

9. SSL7

SSL7

@AliAkbar Please can you see the Y orientation of the DungeonGrid (moving it doesnt change the build position, only the x,z works). And if its possible to be fixed, is critical for my setup.

10. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@AceSV There's a sample that shows you how to solve this problem and neatly cover the ceiling with elevated doors

DungeonArchitect_Samples\Demo_Theme_Candy\Scenes\DemoScene_Indoor

The idea is to now spawn a ceiling where there is a stair. Then use another mesh for the ceiling where there is stairs. This neatly covers the entire roof without creating gaps or blocking the doorways

11. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hey @MangeyD, Welcome back! :)

MangeyD likes this.
  12. AceSV

AceSV

This isn't what I'm looking for. My goal is to have the corridors with no ceiling, and the rooms with ceilings. So it would be like a village, covered houses with paths connecting them. But if I do this, the walls of the houses are sometimes up a level, and this looks bad. I want a way to make sure that all the walls of the house are on the same height.

13. Arkade

Arkade

Thanks for your response. I'm now fiddling with the Graveyard Theme file, trying to guess values for all the fields atm (e.g. "Road Deco" and "Road_S"?!)

You've probably heard this before but 3 items of UX feedback:
    1. Why does DA invert the zoom controls (at least on Windows)?
    2. Why does DA break UX drag convention (Unity middle-mouse drag vs. yours is right mouse -- again, on Windows)?
    3. Please could you adjust system colours based on Unity 'edition'? (i.e. I don't have Pro and can barely read the usually black 'path' text when searching in the Project tab -- see attached image)
    Thanks

Attached Files:

AliAkbar likes this.
  14. Arkade

Arkade

p.s. Is there any chance dragging a prefab or whatever atop an existing Theme Node could detect this and populate the Template field rather than creating a new Node, please? (it'd make it much faster to iterate Themes)

15. MangeyD

MangeyD

That is exactly what I was looking for.... thanks!

It took a while but I couldn't pass up this latest sale... I have been wanting to play with this for a long time and now I can.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  16. Glenndroid

Glenndroid

I bought the Dungeon Architect package and following the Unity tutorials, however I noticed that my dungeons don't get randomly generated (I always get the same dungeon over and over again) will this be covered in a later tutorial or is there something wrong with what I'm doing?
    EDIT: I figured out the above still need help with the other things

I also noticed that in the candy demo theme (and my own theme) I sometimes see the following problem:
    (Can't post the picture for some reason so a link to it)
    https://ibb.co/i9bGJk
    https://ibb.co/e4mfB5

Or a staircase leading to a 1 cell floor, how can i prevent this?
    https://ibb.co/dtw8yk

Last: Is it possible for you to upload the dungeon theme you used for the Eternal Crypt but have all the meshes replaced by the dungeon architect meshes?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  17. Arkade

Arkade

(inline)

Hey, until you get a more official answer, there's a demo named something like ”runtime” that does this. It'll likely be setting the builder's seed to a random number thereby generating a different level.

This might relate to the same problem mentioned in a post a few above yours in this thread to which @AliAkbar said he had a fix in the works and could provide early access if you DM him? (again I'm only a user so I could be wrong)

Yeah I'd really appreciate stuff like this too -- some demos are exactly what I've wants to start from but use a 3rd party asset you don't own! (My post a few ago asks the same thing for the graveyard demo.) My workaround is getting the broken theme (in my case from the samples download) and then trying to populate with assets I do own by matching the names roughly. Hopefully that'll give me enough clues to guess how it works and I can learn to do my own.

Sorry I don't have more useful answers here! Let's face it a theme file is quite specific to a tileset (for want of a better phrase) so I can understand that porting might be a lot of work.

I have also started investigating ”DrawDebug()” method to visualize the SimpleCityBuilder. Have you tried turning on debug drawing in the GUI? It's implement for Grid Dungeon (whatever it's called -- I'm on my mobile atm) so gave useful info.

HTH & GL!

AliAkbar likes this.
  18. BDFgames

BDFgames

Hi Ali. Just purchased DA today and it's looking very impressive.

The Snap builder is of particular interest; however, I can't seem to find any documentation, videos or anything with even rudimentary instructions on how to use it.

I realise that functionality is WIP, but I'm hoping there's something somewhere that would help me get started and check it out properly? :)

Regards,
    Mark

19. BDFgames

BDFgames

Hi. Still reviewing DA and wondering if the Unreal Sci-Fi Theme 1 or 2 examples are available for the Unity version? Those two examples have similar styles to what we'd like to achieve, so would be very handy references, if available. :)

Regards,
    Mark

20. jacky0099

jacky0099

@AliAkbar,
    Hi,Is there any way to get the door's tranform position from code?
    I wan to generate some gameobject on the door.It is very important to my project.Please help me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  21. Glenndroid

Glenndroid

Hi Ali, I just checked out your Unreal multiplayer tutorial on youtube, will you be making one for Unity too?
    :)

22. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@AceSV I created a sample. Is this what you were looking for?

antoripa likes this.
  23. antoripa

antoripa

Can you share the sample ?

24. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Arkade Thank you for the feedback.
    1. I just checked and you are right, the zoom was flipped. I've made it the same as the Unity Editor.
    2. Panning now uses middle mouse button. I've also kept the right mouse for pan like before to avoid confusion. So you can move the graph with both Middle mouse and Right mouse buttons
    3. That's Unity code in the screenshot :)

25. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've added it to my todo list

26. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Glenndroid Drop in this script in the node's transform rule to have DA place your object correctly on the ground (It's happening because they are attached to the elevated wall)

You can find the transform rule here:

DungeonArchitect_Samples\Support\Scripts\Rules\ClampToGroundTransformRule

More info on how this works here

Glenndroid likes this.
  27. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

All the themes used in the Eternal Crypt game are available in the Quick start guide. here are some high quality art asset from Unity released since last year. I'll try to create new themes which those assets so you can have a good starting point without purchasing additional assets.

Glenndroid likes this.
  28. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@BDFgames Thank you Mark. I'll add documentation with the new update

As for Sci-Fi theme do you mean this one?

I made the meshes in Blender but the materials were from UE4 assets which I cannot redistribute. I'll see if I can port it over to Unity

BDFgames likes this.
  29. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Glenndroid Sure I'll make one in the future

Glenndroid likes this.
  30. Glenndroid

Glenndroid

Hi Ali, maybe a dumb question but I can't find the Thirdparty map as stated in your quick setup guide (DungeonArchitect_Samples_Thridparty/Demos/)

31. Arkade

Arkade

AliAkbar and Glenndroid like this.
  32. Glenndroid

Glenndroid

Hi guys, I tried changing the grid dungeon config script so that it would always create either 1,2,3,4 or 5 rooms near to each other (no long corridors). But I can't seem to figure it out, anyone has an idea ?

33. Arkade

Arkade

yes it is... however before installing DA, it's black.
    To reproduce, enter something in your Project window's search area and click a result.
    Screenshot 2017-09-18 22.20.31.png

Once one installs DA, it's still fine (though oddly changed -- I have no issue with this though it is odd):
    Screenshot 2017-09-18 22.22.43.png

However start the Theme Editor window and re-check and it's white:
    Screenshot 2017-09-18 22.24.20.png or Screenshot 2017-09-18 22.24.46.png

Closing Theme Editor didn't immediately change this. Restarting Unity restored visibility but as soon as the Theme Editor is started again, it's white again.

Yours isn't the only asset to do this -- there must be something like a style customization or maybe something like a GUI.color that wasn't reset to previous value somewhere that causes the change (I have a sneaky feeling Unity doesn't push color changes to a stack before invoking user-created Editor code).

(one asset I had left certain text *red* for a while -- that was kind'a horrifying... albeit easier to read than white on pale grey!)

Low priority, I understand. Maybe if you simply store and restore the colour either side of your Editor code, that'll do it?

Thanks

AliAkbar likes this.
  34. BDFgames

BDFgames

Thanks for your response, Ali. Got to say, the more I dig into DA, the more impressive it is. You've made something amazing here, and I'm equally impressed by your community engagement and support. :)

That's great to hear. I'll look forward to it. :)

Here's the Unreal sample I was talking about:

http://coderespawn.github.io/dungeo..._guide_2.6+.html#scifi-theme-2-manufactura-k4

Is that Theme available to review in Unity?

35. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Try reducing the Room Area Threshold parameter to get a more tightly packed dungeon

36. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Arkade Thanks for the heads up. You are right, this is caused by DA. I've spent a while trying to pin it down but restoring the color state doesn't seem to work. I'll have a closer look soon

Arkade likes this.
  37. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you @BDFgames :)

I haven't created a theme for it yet. I'll purchase the pack for Unity and add it soon

BDFgames likes this.
  38. SSL7

SSL7

@AliAkbar sorry to saying the same thing again, but I haven't got an answer about the DungeonGrid gameobject moving it on x,z spawns the dungeons correctly, but y not affecting the spawning position and its critical for my game, could you please check it? thanx.

39. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@dlevel I just checked and it seems to work fine for me. Could you try reimporting? If it doesn't work I'll send you the latest build

40. SSL7

SSL7

@AliAkbar well using it on your demo scene it works fine, but in mine (that has a terrain also) it doesn't :S

41. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@dlevel Do you have MarkerTerrainClampListener script attached to your Dungeon game object? This would make all the dungeon items stick to the terrain

42. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Fixed an error where the theme graph would hang at startup while trying to show the asset thumbnails.

43. SSL7

SSL7

these are the scripts I have.

Also how runtime navigation works? just enabling it activates runtime NavMesh?

44. Glenndroid

Glenndroid

Hi Ali, thank you but that was not exactly what I meant, if I just lower the threshold it will only create more rooms.
    But if I also lower the min/max cell size it will create less rooms but they become really small.

My intention is: depending on the dungeon they choose make it either 1/2/3/4/5 rooms (with a cell size like 5 by 5 per room)

AliAkbar likes this.
  45. BDFgames

BDFgames

That would be fantastic. Thank you. I'll look forward to checking out how you approached it. :)

Cheers!
    Mark

46. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I've submitted 1.6.0 for review

Version 1.6.0

• Added a new experimental Spatial Partitioning Builder. More Info: https://goo.gl/csGpQ4
    • Added a new experimental builder for side scroller games (Mario Builder). More Info: https://goo.gl/bSV7wm
    • Added Start / End Module support in the Snap Builder
    • Fixed various bugs in the Snap Builder with the room connections and growth
    • Added a door category in the snap builder so different types of door connections can be used
    • All game objects that belong to a room / corridor can be grouped together into a single object. This helps with level streaming
    • Floorplan data is now available in the model object so it can be queries
    • Updated the default values of the grid configuration. Moved the Door Proximity Steps variable out of experimental and into the Misc category
    • Fixed a door creation bug where door where not being created in some cases
    • Fixed a bug with the stairs sometimes now showing up next to doors due to DoorProximitySteps removal
    • Added a new experimental non-iterative cell distribution method in the grid builder which is much faster
    • Randomly flip the width / length of the cells in the grid builder as they were being stretched along the X-axis too often
    • Fixed an issue with the grid builder's paint cursor while the mouse was being moved
    • Various Bug fixes in spatial constraints
    • Changed the Zoom In/Out of the Theme editor's graph window to be in sync with Unity Editor's UX standards
    • Theme Editor's Theme graph can be scrolled (panned) using the middle mouse button
    • Fixed a bug with the Theme Editor that was causing it to hang while loading the asset thumbnails

Inspeinre, Arkade, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  47. Snotface

Snotface

Hi @AliAkbar, if we bought your asset through the Unity Store, how do we get the latest build?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Typical, I should have checked the main asset page. anyway, question now becomes how do we get any fixes in between this one and the next major release?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  48. AceSV

AceSV

That would be better, but I'd prefer it to not generate areas like this:

upload_2017-9-22_6-34-8.png

where part of the wall is on a different height from the rest of the room. This results in wall decorations being suspended in midair.

49. tcz8

tcz8

Hi everyone,

Is someone able to tell me why I keep getting this warning?

The referenced script (class 'DungeonArchitect.DungeonToolData') is missing! Does the script filename match the class name?

Everything seems to work.

Thank you!

AliAkbar likes this.
  50. JDuaneJ

JDuaneJ

I've been following the design of this asset silently for a couple years while I write my project. I'm completely convinced this is one of the tools we'll be using. Unbelievable work! Cheers to you, and to a feature rich future!

AliAkbar and antoripa like this.