Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

It works with any sized modular assets. You set the size of your modular assets you are using in the dungeon configuration. You can set the pivot of a mesh in the node configuration. So if you follow the guidelines artists use for modular assets (e.g. 3DForge, ManufacturaK4) it should work

For e.g., I have set 400x200x400 as the global grid configuration for the above theme, since most of the meshes in the ManufacturaK4's MOBA pack are designed for this dimension. Then while placing each mesh in the theme graph, I can manually modify the offset, if it needs further adjusting.

Edit: I'll create tutorials soon

Voltarrens and zenGarden like this.
  2. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Yeah a documentation using some example 3D projects like you mentioned from 3dForge would be really great. I am also only working with 3d objects so knowing how to create procedural dungeons with chaning walls, floors or props in it would be great.

Keep up the good work @AliAkbar. Really can't wait to get my hands on your tool!
    Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thanks @RonnyDance. Cant wait to see what you folks create with it

4. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

This looks amazing man, I hope you will do some tutorial on how to achieve this result.

5. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Sure, I'll write an article on this later when I get time. It's pretty simple (less than 200 lines of code without the blurring part, which I got from here)

6. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Final version of the theme based on ManufacturaK4's beautiful MOBA pack

Everything is procedurally placed in this level. Video coming soon

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  7. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I'll probably abuse this tool once I get my hands on it; the results are really good.

AliAkbar likes this.
  8. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

9. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

The theme @AliAkbar used in this video is today's 24 Hour special. Not associated with the asset just thought people subscribed to this thread (like me) might be interested. Contemplating picking this up although with all these themes being posted might get expensive. Already got the excellent Sewer Kit by @S4G4N and just seen the latest theme video.

Mana-Station likes this.
  10. MangeyD

MangeyD

Yep, the MultiStory Dungeon Assets are on sale for a few more hours which is great as they look good in their own right and they work amazing with DA :) I am glad I got to see them in action here as I may have overlooked yet another dungeon set otherwise!

S4G4N and Mana-Station like this.
  11. MangeyD

MangeyD

@AliAkbar are you able to give any sort of indication when this will be available and what price you are thinking of as I am ready :) but I may need to save for it!!! I have a couple of 3D Forge sets and now the multistory set and I can't wait to get hold of a tool that can take sets like that and generate cool levels, both in the editor and procedurally.

PhoenixRising1 and S4G4N like this.
  12. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I'd like to know the answer to those questions too ;).

I love the fact that you've implemented some randomness in the rotation of the objects to give it a more natural look. Any chance we could set slight differences in scale too? For example for the plants and shrooms etc.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    S4G4N likes this.
  13. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@MangeyD I'll be selling it for $99 similar to the UE4 version. I'm adding final finishing touches and documentation. It will be available soon.

@ephemeral life Sure you can. The transformer script (which you can attach to any node) is capable of applying any transform on top of the existing transform . In this above example i've rotated it randomly around the Y axis. You can scale, rotate and translate as you like. For e.g., there's another transformer script I wrote and attached to the tree nodes that clamps the objects to the terrain ground by applying a translation offset (after querying the terrain height at that location)

14. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Improved the visuals of the theme graph editor:

OLD:

NEW:

MangeyD, BackwoodsGaming and zyzyx like this.
  15. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Added a toolbar to the theme editor menu to quickly jump to different markers

Also added a button the toggle Realtime update. If selected, the dungeon in the scene view would be updated automatically if the theme graph state is modified. This is useful for interactively designing your theme with immediate visual feedback

16. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Watched this thread from the beginning! This looks really really great!
    You will definitely have a great success on assetstore(much more than on Unreal store), i think!
    I would like if you think about having a limited launch price! This would really get you fast into business.

Cheers
    Michael

MangeyD likes this.
  17. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@mensch.mueller Thanks!

I've created a quick overview video of Dungeon Architect and show you how the theme graph works

18. MangeyD

MangeyD

Well I suspected it would be at that sort of price.... I definitely agree that a limited launch window with a discount would see many people jumping straight in without giving it a second thought.... without that I for one would be having to save for it and would probably be inclined to wait and see if it came up on a sale so I think that without a limited time launch discount you would see many people who may snap it up at a launch discount just put it on their wish list and buy it at 'some' stage.

having said that I am really excited that it is coming soon and think that it looks like it is worth every penny of what you are planning to ask. It will be competing with several products at $75 but it looks far superior to them... although with the far bigger market you are exposed to here than for UE4 that may be a good target price for you... something has to be very special for most Unity hobbyists and small indies to spend more than that and you will see that when the price balance is right the numbers will be much bigger than when it is perceived to be a bit high.

I will definitely buy it as it looks amazing but it will be a matter of when I will be able to and I am concerned for you that the Asset store has a lot of very appealing looking higher priced assets and without a big user base pushing the merits of a product there is always something cheaper and more affordable filling the shopping carts.

Enough of all that though because I suspect from what I have seen it will be a must have for me and anybody that takes the time to see all the power it offers them.

Thanks for sharing the progress here with us and I hope it goes amazingly well for you when it launches.

19. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Thanks for the great overview video. It looks if its nearly finished. I now have to save money to get it when it comes out! :)

Cheers
    Michael

Edit: It would be great, to see a video creating a new marker and editing his rules! ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  20. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

It's that easy to use? Oh my. Will we get to see a tutorial for using terrain too ;)?

21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Hi everyone, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I've been busy creating documentation and I've finished creating a detailed User guide

User Guide

I've also created free modular assets in Blender to help you get started with Dungeon Architect, in case you don't have any modular assets at hand

I'm working on video tutorial series and API documentation

22. moure

moure

Hey, nice work on the documentation!
    The way you have designed the system seems to me that its quite easy for the user to add his own dungeon generation algorithms since the DungeonGridConfig file only creates the general shape markers(wall-floor-door). Then its up to the theme to populate the dungeon. Awesome :)
    What i didnt see or miss are ways to control the flow of the dungeon. Like start - end positions or special rooms that spawn according to rules. Even if these things arent available on the main dungeon generator that you include, is there a way to pass these info from a custom dungeon generator to the theme engine so that they get populated accordingly?
    Cheers!

MangeyD likes this.
  23. MangeyD

MangeyD

I love the look of the manual, it gives such a clear indication of how amazing this engine is. I am sure that once it is being used in anger by people new features will be suggested but from what I can see that is there already I can't wait to play with it!!

good luck with finalising it from here and enjoy your holidays!

24. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@moure, @MangeyD Thanks!

@moure You can create special rooms using marker emitters. Is there any use-case you have in mind?

25. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

26. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Survival shooter demo using Dungeon Architect

27. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Finalized the dynamic navigation system (based on a modified version of SharpNav, which is derived from recast navigation). Created a navigation agent behavior that can traverse the dynamic nav mesh

I'm creating a simple game that would be bundled with DA to help you quickly get started

Some of features in the demo game:
    • Basic AI behavior with patrolling, seeking and a vision cone using Dungeon Architect's dynamic navmesh agent
    • Shows how to select two rooms that are furthest apart, by querying the dungeon model, and placing the starting / ending points of the dungeon. A new level is generated a runtime, when the player reaches the end
    • Shows how to build your own mini maps. In this example, the mini map is another dungeon (with the same configuration). This means you can control how your mini-maps look by changing the theme applied to the minimap dungeon. In this demo I've used a very simple theme. Design your own themes to create interesting results

28. Lowpolynator

Lowpolynator

Ali, everything looks so awesome!

29. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Lowpolynator Thanks!

Created a new promo video

Edit: Updated and uploading a new vid. Apparently i missed out the 2D support feature and dynamic nav meshes

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  30. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

31. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Procedural Terrains works how?
    I mean if using GAIA or other Terrain Tools to create nice looking triple AAA Terrains what does Dungeon Architect exactly do or how can it help me? Does it simply spawn objects like trees, grasses and textures procedural or how does it work?

32. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@RonnyDance It optionally transforms the terrain's height to match the layout of your dungeon. It also paints the terrain with the supplied textures (for cliffs, pathways and outside area). The spawning of trees and other stuff outside the dungeon layout is done with a theme file.

33. Archania

Archania

This looks awesome. Fantastic work.

34. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

35. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

A Game built with Dungeon Architect (bundled with sample content)

Demo Game

Controls:
    WASD: Move
    Left Click: Shoot
    Space: Rebuild a new procedural level with a new dynamic nav mesh, NPCs, Start / End points etc

Screenshot:

36. MangeyD

MangeyD

I really hope this is ready soon. Can you let us know when it is submitted to the store.

The demo game works great and the procedural levels are really quick to generate and load and it all hangs together so well.... that will be an amazing resource to get you up and running quickly. With the simple tiles you will be including I imagine you can retexture them and make your own custom version of them if you want.

Thanks for all the work that has gone into this exciting product...

37. BinaryX

BinaryX

Awesome asset, can't wait to start working with it.

I'm wondering only one thing. Will there be any themes available either for free or paid ?
    For example : when you buy Dungeon Architect asset AND Moba 3d assets from K4 you will also get an already made theme for those assets (pretty much like the one you made for the presentation video)

Thank you for your work and please release it soon, I can't wait any longer :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    MangeyD likes this.
  38. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@MangeyD, @BinaryX Thanks!

It's very close to finish. I'll include the blender files for the sample assets so you can modify and reuse them as you like

Past week I've been polishing and improving the navigation system and the navigation agents

I've designed a few theme files for certain paid assets (from ManufacturaK4, 3DForge etc) and will release the themes for free ofcourse. I'm hoping the artists would also create and bundle themes along with the modular assets in the future

Would you folks be interested in a theme sharing website where you can upload, download, rate & comment on the themes created by the community?

Here's the same MOBA theme with winter materials applied to it. To do this, I created a dungeon post process script that grabs all the DA created game objects and replace their materials with the winter version. This script is attached to the dungeon object and will execute whenever the dungeon is built

39. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

It is great to see product like this come to the Asset Store.

It is a pleasure to work with other publishers that take pride in their work and want to deliver top quality product to others
    Hope it does well and good luck :)

Cheers
    Cobus

40. BinaryX

BinaryX

I am certainly interested in such a thing and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Once more people find about this asset, they will also search for more themes. It will help a lot of people who don't have the artistic skills (including me) in order to make a good looking dungeon, even with bought assets. If not, at least it's a pretty damn good base to improve upon :D

AliAkbar likes this.
  41. MangeyD

MangeyD

I think a theme sharing community will be great and I also appreciate that you aren't rushing DA out and are jamming it full of so much. I really can't wait to play with it but I know it won't be too long now so that is good.

I hope other vendors do get on board cross promoting this as I think it will be a very good fit for people who currently make, or will make in the future, cool tiled assets.

It's good to hear that you will include the Blender files for the simple tiles you are releasing with DA as that will also help for those of us that can do a reasonable job at retexturing.

Thanks for the update!

@Cobus, I have your ARPG controller and I am looking forward to using that with DA as well to make a deep and involving 3D roguelike.

AliAkbar likes this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I started something 8 month ago with the release of the Village Exteriors Kit called BLUEPRINTS
    It is a simple easy to do method of sharing design/BLUEPRINTS. Users basically share creativity.
    No mesh or texture data is shared, only the prefabs. The person that receives the design has to own and have the relevant art package installed for the prefabs to be usable otherwise they will just be that bright pink colour.
    So no copyrighted data from the art pack is being shared.

Users love it and it I think can help grow a healthy community of users community of users.
    The Exteriors Kit currently has 276 more prebuilt BLUEPRINT buildings FREE for users.

I am actually going to talk to Unity marketing side and ask if they do not want to start such a sharing section on the forum.

Cheers
    Cobus

AliAkbar, Tinjaw, Licarell and 2 others like this.
  43. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@S4G4N Thanks Cobus :)

Here's a tech demo for Dungeon Architect featuring 8 worlds with different themes

Eternal Crypt

Heres another smaller demo showing fast dynamic dungeon creation

MangeyD, BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  44. S4G4N

S4G4N

WOW, so very nice to see my assets being used in your demo scene.
    Thanks for sharing this web demo

AliAkbar and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  45. MangeyD

MangeyD

I love the look of all of those different themed worlds... and they generate so quickly... especially in the smaller demo!! I guess it is the Navmesh and Spawning that takes the bulk of the time in a real world demo.

A couple of those themes would lend themselves better to a first person view and for what its worth the dynamic level generation seems to work great... I only saw one room with stairways that were in each others way and I only was able to fall through the world once... and I did try to do it a few times!! can you look at including the ability to switch to first person in a demo.

I would love to see a 2D demo as well as I think that DA would shine for 2D worlds too and that is something that should not be undersold!

Lastly I did not love the look of the minimap... I loved that it was there and how it worked but it looked so out of place in those environments... but I expect you can use whatever look and feel you want for it... seeing some variation in that would have been useful to understand its scope more.

Really looking forward to this and loving all the work that you are putting into it!

AliAkbar and S4G4N like this.
  46. MangeyD

MangeyD

I don't have the village exteriors... but I do have the interiors so I will check out the blueprints... I have also put the exteriors on my wish list and will look out for it to come up on sale at some stage :)

AliAkbar and S4G4N like this.
  47. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Thank you for the feedback :)

Totally agree. Another simple theme applied to the mini map:

The minimap theme file:

Edit: Added the theme file screenshot

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    MangeyD and S4G4N like this.
  48. S4G4N

S4G4N

Very nice, an actually mini version of the real thing

AliAkbar likes this.
  49. S4G4N

S4G4N

The package has received 2 large FREE updates with more coming, I think the price might rather go up, not likely on a sale :)

50. MangeyD

MangeyD

Love the mini map now :) I expected it could look like that and I am glad you showed us how as the demo didn't quite do it justice.... and yes it indeed can be a mini version of the real thing!!

There is no doubting the worth of it but for me at least it will have to languish in my wishlist especially if it does go up in price... I wish you luck with it tho as it looks great and after I grab DA I will have to consider saving for it.... but tbh I rarely buy anything at full price these days... and that goes across nearly 100% of things I purchase for all aspects of my life.

There are far too many things tugging at me for my money these days so I just learn to do without or to wait and/or improvise and I generally only purchase when the deals are too good to be missed.

Also if I continue tbh regardless of how much effort and time you have put into the set and regardless of how big it has become I don't think a higher price would see it sell in anywhere near the volumes it would if it were priced to sell so that is always going to be a balancing act for a vendor here.

I am sorry for my opinions on value and saleability and they are just that but I can give you an example of two online vendors (Not Unity Vendors) who had similar products both priced at $200, one reduced his to $20 over a couple of different sales and sold 10,000 units... the other who refused to take the sale price sold 17 units. Results of sale prices will always vary but that was a real world scenario which showed there was a market for both products and a definite price point at which they would sell in far higher volumes.

Anyway enough of this as neither you or AliAkbar need my opinions on this especially since you both make very high quality products that have loads of content and loads of time invested in them and you both deserve to do very well financially out of your efforts.

S4G4N likes this.