Search Unity

[Released] Distingo - Terrain in Detail

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NemoKrad, Feb 1, 2016.

1. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Yea, hope it goes through, or it will be another 5-10 working days :(

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Asset store folks might just be really busy. 10 business days is really just an estimate. Sometimes it is quicker, sometimes longer. I know of two other assets submitted about the same time and they are still waiting as well.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  3. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Well I think they may have lost it, did you get them to check the spam folder :)

You've checked your out box right? :)

4. hopeful

hopeful

Another plugin I've been following submitted on Feb 1 and just got published to the store. So that's about 11 working days.

If the same review time applies to Distingo, then maybe it will hit the store around the 22nd-23rd?

5. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Might I suggest that you have different products rather than make this one more complicated with features that many people will not need or use? One of the problems with similar extensions is that they keep adding on functionality, so when a person new to the product gets around to using it, the core feature is so complex and the documentation so large that it is no longer simple to use.

It is an easy trap to fall into, to keep adding small add-ons that a few people want. But you always have to keep in mind that the main point of your product is to reduce tiling and the more complicated you make that for people, or the more daunting your product seems, the less likely they are going to buy it.

6. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I agree but also disagree in some points ;)
    If you ask me you see the oposite more often. Most user complaning about to much seperated packages and why they are not included to one full package.
    I understand you to 100% that if the product is there for reducing tiling it should only do that. But if you try to sell a terain detail asset that also should be an alternative to RTP you need to offer more than that. I know, i know that Distingo is not supposed to be that - but the discussion simply started with my post after reading that someone mentioned if this would be an alternative to it and I just asked for Height Map features like some users before me. So I am totally with you not to get a big full package which is complicated and too complex, because of so many features. But Heightmap integration through POM / Tesselation is state of the art in terrain creation if you ask me. It's more or less essential if you create a game with good lookgin terrains at this time. NemoKrad posted in his first post that you can change every texture details like UV multiplier (to avoid tiling), power of normal maps, occlusion, smoothness etc. So I thought it's just fair to ask what about Height Map options?
    And many developers also have shown how easy it is to create assets full of important and helpfull features whithout making the asset too chaotic or complex (GAIA for example). So it depends not on the number of features if a project gets too complex but more on the developer to combine them perfectly and easily understandable.

Just my 2 Cents. Thanks to the response of NemoKrad I know now for what Distingo is for and that's an instant buy for me if it comes out with or without Heightmap Options. So I am not wishing me an RTP clone or something like that just to clarify ;)

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    one_one and jonfinlay like this.
  7. montyfi

montyfi

@NemoKrad Do you plan to add support for holes in terrain? Perhaps this is the only thing that will prevent me to move from RTP to your tool. And snow probably.

8. Whippets

Whippets

If mesh terrains work, then it should be pretty straightforward to remove some tris to make holes.

9. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

My asset is purely working with how the terrain surface is rendered, it is not altering the terrain. Thinking about snow, but it wont be in the next update.

one_one likes this.
  10. montyfi

montyfi

I plan to use Unity terrain, not mesh.

11. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

At the moment, I have written it so that it's all in one script but it uses multiple shaders/materials depending on what you are using it on. So, for example, if you put it on a mesh, it will use and only give you the options for a terrain render, put it on a Unity Terrain and it will give you the shaders and options for that. :)

12. montyfi

montyfi

I could be wrong, but RTP is not altering it too, it just makes parts marked on global colormap invisible.

13. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

If that's the case though, the mesh collider would still pick up that you are hitting the terrain, unless you just want holes to look at and not go down?

14. montyfi

montyfi

Exactly! I just need it to be transparent, that's all. A simple script will deal with collider ontriggerenter.

15. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

OK, something to think about :)

montyfi likes this.
  16. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you! Having holes and snow will easily shift your asset into the new league, easily justifying price around $50 ;)

NemoKrad likes this.
  17. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@montyfi , what is the snow aspect? Is it accumulating snow on the terrain and object surfaces?

18. montyfi

montyfi

Right, I don't know if it is possible to do without terrain shader support.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  19. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Yeah. Like RTP and UBER are doing, applying snow on any surfaces. Besides both assets do also have a Rain / Wet feature. But since I own RTP and UBER those features are not so important for me.

Edit:
    UBER should do it without Terrain Shader support on any Objects.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  20. montyfi

montyfi

Me too. But you will need those if you plan to use Distingo instead :)

TheSeawolf likes this.
  21. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Like any render technique, there are more than one way to do it :)

TheSeawolf likes this.
  22. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Will you not be able to use both? I mean use Distingo for global UV Options / Smoothness, Opaque settings and using RTP for Camera Effects like Snow and Rain? In UBER Rain and Snow are camera effects...

23. montyfi

montyfi

RTP and Distingo both - terrain shaders, you cannot use both at the same time on the same terrain.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Stopped using it at some point, when Unity started to complain about number of shader keywords. Aren't those FX still need to change something in shader vars? Have to look again.

24. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Quoting from UBER Documentation:
    "Untypically dynamic snow is not shader feature handled by shader keyword variants but
    separate shader. This doubles number of shaders included in the package, but also
    decreases exploding amount of variants for UBER shader. Without it amount of RAM you
    need in editor would be doubled as well. When you select dynamic snow feature material
    inspector will replace shader with the variant that has snow feature present."

The Wettness feature reads out the texture heightmap. Rain droplets seems to be camera effect.
    That's what I understand ;)

montyfi likes this.
  25. magique

magique

Actually, by its nature it is supposed to be that. The fact is that you can only use a single terrain texturing solution for your game (on the same terrain area that is) so whatever you choose needs to be a complete solution. That doesn't mean that a complete solution has every bell and whistle that the competitor has, but everything needed for your project. The reason I say this is because that's exactly the boat I'm in. I have RTP and am looking for a lightweight alternative for my game. So, the solution needs to meet all my needs. In the case of terrain, I don't really "need" everything RTP offers, but I may end up "needing" more than what Distingo offers. In the end, what I really need is great looking, high performance terrain. If that means dropping a bell or whistle then I'll adapt my game design to get there.

26. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Having that type of ´hole´ system will also lead to a lot of complaints since it is not a hole, but a window. There is already an asset on the store for $5 ( I think ) that does exactly what you mentioned and the comments are littered with complaints about it not being a hole.

There is a second asset on the store that includes the OnCollision script and again, it is a nightmare to maintain for the guy because there are all sort of shadow issues based on if you are using forward or deferred and the author seems to go back and forth between breaking it for one person to fix it for another. The caves generally look horrible because of the shadows behind it.

And finally, what is the point of keep saying ´you should add all the things that RTP does so that you can charge the same prices as RTP´.. RTP is a mess because of all the added stuff. I can not speak for other people, but the reason I am here is because this product does the one thing I am concerned about, and does it great. I really don´t want to see the author getting negative reviews for trying to implement a fake hole system, or to complicate the product so much that I can´t update Unity because I need to wait for this product to be updated first, which takes forever since there is so much included.

Keep it simple.

27. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

I am all for hearing about the issues people are having, it gives me other ideas for other assets that I can be creating to fill gaps (no pun intended) in peoples asset needs :)

If I have time to do them all and maintain my current assets, well, that's another matter :)

Distingo is, and will always be, about rendering terrain surfaces, in the first update I will be adding support for mesh terrains using the current calculations used in the initial release.

If I can get it working, the update after that will be adding the ability to use Substances.

I would like to add support for snow, tessellation and other things, but I don't think they will make their way into Distingo, some may, some might not. Lets get version one out there first, and see how people get on with it :)

Stormy102, Adrad and jc_lvngstn like this.
  28. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

NemoKrad likes this.
  29. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

We could create an endless list of features. I personally am looking for a simple, easy to use solution that is a nice looking terrain and Distingo has me pretty excited. For "extras" like snow, tesselation, holes, etc etc etc etc....I would almost rather see variations of shaders than one that tries to do it all, and is complicated or difficult to use.

TheSeawolf and NemoKrad like this.
  30. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I had a thought. What about "Add-ons" that require the base purchase? You can add a-la-carte features that are individual "upgrades" of the base package. IOW people buy what they want/need, yet it keeps the base price low.

NemoKrad likes this.
  31. adventurefan

adventurefan

while we wait...

what is the lighting support? does it support GI? is it in forward rendering like unity's current model instead of fully deferred?

32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Becouse i read this will be something like an rtp alternative, can i make pbr terrains with it or will it come in an update?

Edit:
    And can i blend from normal objects to terrain?
    Can i use it in some way together with rtp?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  33. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

I have basically taken the Unity shaders and improved them. So it will render along the same pipeline as the stock shaders, but giving you more control. The older shaders were forward only, but there are #defines for deferred so it must make some venture into that pipeline too.

34. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

It used the standard PBR lighting system, as does the stock Unity shaders.

You can render to reg unity terrain in the initial release, and mesh terrains in the first update.

I don't have RPT, do I don't know, but reading earlier posts, I don't think so.

You cant make terrains with Distingo, but you can improve how they are rendered.

35. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Yes, I may end up creating a number of assets, sell them separately and as a blister pack or package.

Tinjaw likes this.
  36. Teila

Teila

Funny thing..I have RTP and several others. I stopped using them because of performance hits and limitations, such as the inability to have different tile sizes.

So..I rather hope you put them in separate assets because the more things get complicated, the more trouble they become. I see so many of my favorite assets just become bigger and bigger and bigger. Even though I only use what I need, the rest of it is still there, sometimes causing issues.

I love Distingo because it is sleek and fast. Don't change it. :) With holes, and snow, and wetness and all that jazz, it IS RTP! Why not buy that?

37. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Distingo sort if does do wet with the smoothness slider ;)

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Maybe becouse it can be used more intiutive!? I have RTP

39. magique

magique

OK, I officially declare that no one is allowed to post in this forum unless it's to announce that Distingo is available on the Asset Store. lol. Just kidding. But am I the only one who sees every single post notification and thinks it might be a release announcement? :)

40. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

As soon as its up, ill post here AND change the title of the thread :)

41. Whippets

Whippets

You know what would be cool...? If it could valet my car for me

42. hopeful

hopeful

So ... in general terms, what are the main differences between this asset and ats Colormap Ultra (which is a relatively old plugin)? They seem similar - efficient, simple, no tiling of textures - but since I'm not heavily into terrain shading, maybe I'm missing the obvious ...?

43. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Don't know, I did look at the free version, but it didn't work :(

44. magique

magique

I'm no expert in ats Colormap Ultra, but I have it and have tried it. It has more features than Distingo such as Global Colormap, Mesh Blending, Parallax and Bump Mapping, as well as terrain decals. That being said, I have still not been able to really get it all to work in several attempts. I plan to make another attempt and get some technical support. But from what I hear from the Distingo testers, it seems far easier to use Distingo and get great results. That's kind of what I'm hoping for is something I can just drop in and it works without me having to figure it out and never get anywhere.

45. gameDevi

gameDevi

wow this is taking far too long to be approved. There are a few very much needed assets that are being held back.
    oh boy... it's .. just ... taking .... so .... long .... to ..... move.... forward....

NemoKrad likes this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

IIRC, a few people on the GAIA thread are using it and swear by it. So ... just curious if there was a new wrinkle with Distingo or what.

47. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

NemoKrad, regarding the discussion regarding snow and wetness, I for one am very happy to pay for another $10 asset to keep things simple and streamlined as @Teila mentioned above.

jc_lvngstn, Teila, 99thmonkey and 3 others like this.
  48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Agree 100%!

Maybe do something like an extension system where Distingo can use add-on packs. That way for those of us just looking for simple, we can just buy Distingo. For those who want a snow system or a hole shader/collider, those can be extra addons we would buy to extend Distingo but it would prevent you from falling into the black hole so many developers seem to fall into of coming up with a simple system that meets the needs of the project's scope only to be complicated by addition of adding a bunch more stuff that not everyone needs, all developed without any additional income to cover the additional workload.

I think completing Distingo to your original vision still has Distingo very underpriced. Maybe doing the extra addon stuff as extensions will prove to be a way to make it a little closer to its real value by charging for the extras as addons.. :)

49. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I agree with @Shawn67 @Teila @TheSeawolf Add ons to be purchased would be nice. Actually it would be nice if every developer did that.

50. smada-luap

smada-luap

or just become J.A.R.V.I.S. :D