Search Unity

[Released] Distingo - Terrain in Detail

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NemoKrad, Feb 1, 2016.

1. wolfen231

wolfen231

Do you think you could use his? LOL

2. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

No, as that would be plagiarism...

3. wolfen231

wolfen231

Ermmmm... ok man.

4. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Lol, ill have a look, could be blend order, rotate your texture fir now :p

5. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah ok, then it would be vertical where it is horizontal now, and horizontal where it is vertical. Rotating my texture would only cause the problem to appear on a different axis.

6. Teila

Teila

Try it! It should work. Have you tried rotating yet? ;)

7. recon0303

recon0303

Hello Nemo, I asked before, and just was seeing if any update on if anyone has said if this asset has worked well with Android yet??? Any info would be great.

8. ikazrima

ikazrima

Seems like I've hit the 128 shader keywords and Unity doesn't report to me about it in that particular scene. I'm not sure why though, because it logs them if I open another scene.

At first I though it was only for that project, because I also have uSky, some other water shaders. Deleting them doesn't fix keywords limit, they still pop up.

I tried creating a new project with Gaia, Distingo and the Beta Image Effects, and it still happen. And also the keyword limit is there.

Sadly I don't think I can send the project files because of the file size and my upload speed. :oops:

Edit : Got rid of the annoying keyword limit, and...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  9. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

I still don't have an Android device to test on sorry, hoping someone here can give you an answer :/

10. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Can you show me the Distingo settings you are using for that texture channel?

So, if you create a new project and add Distingo, it works fine, it's only when you have all the other stuff in your scene that it then does not render right? Can you take stuff out of the project until it does render right again?

11. recon0303

recon0303

Ya I was hoping someone else did as well, I know you don't have a device, but if you happen to notice people posting that would be great to know I did go through alot of the pages to see though. Thanks anyways Nemo! I plan to work with XB1 next year has anyone said if it works with XB1 yet??

12. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

I can confirm it runs on the XB1 :)

13. recon0303

recon0303

Well then I will just buy it for that reason then and test Android myself, if it doesn't then atleast it works for XB1 and will be worth it.!

NemoKrad likes this.
  14. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

So small problem with this is if we have it set for multi terrain it takes a ton of resources pulling the same script up multi times any easy fix for multi terrain use?

15. VengenceARTs

VengenceARTs

I have a question, will there be a tessellation script included in the later updates?

16. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Not sure, I guess it's like if you have scripts on multiple objects, it has to manage them per object. In earlier posts people have made changes to make it work with child terrain objects I think, so for Biom's and the like.

17. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

It it something I have looked at, but due to the way Unity works, it would be a fair bit of work to get it working with the shaders as they stand, so it is not likely something I am going to do any time soon.

18. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

Buronix, any chance you can share your multi terrain performance script with us as it sounds like NemoKrad does not plan on adding multi terrains support at this time.

Its a real problem on performance from 100 frames to 5 frames per second on 4 terrains running at once.

19. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Well, it does support multiple terrains, or it did when last tested, just not how you want to use it.

20. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

Sorry, let me rephrase that as distinguished perform hit is beyond unusable for us in multi terrains in one sense might you be a nice guy and share your code changes. With out a doubt you can add it multiple times just doesn't run well at all. It needs some form of Main parent in sense that runs main script and looks at values of the terrain. Or we are using it wrong but think your guide says to add the script to the terrain.

FYI the results are very promising on a single unity terrain.

Attached Files:

21. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Ok, so what you need is a parent script to manage multiple terrains, it will assume the textures are the same across ALL child terrains right?

22. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

yes that would do it, and I think it would solve the resource issue.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  23. Maverick

Maverick

Hello,

Today I bought Distingo especially for VTP integration. But, current version from asset store does not have it. So,

1. Do you have any estimates on when new version is out, with VTP integration?
    2. Is there a way to get a beta version, some users were mentioning in this forum?

Thanks. :)

24. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

As far as Distingo goes, it is ready for the VTP patch, but I think @PitHeimes is doing some final polish to the patch, he would be best placed to tell you when it will be ready :)

Sorry for the delay.

25. Maverick

Maverick

Thanks for reply. What about my second question? Should I contact @PitHeimes for beta?

wolfen231 likes this.
  26. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Yes, let him know you wish to be part of the Beta, if (and I think you do) own copies of both Distingo and VTP (just send us your invoice numbers) he/we can add you. :)

27. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

Sorry to bug NemoKrad were you looking into the parent for the objects or should I be looking for a coder to get it done for us?

28. wolfen231

wolfen231

If you get in the beta and need further assistance on getting a set up similar to mine I will be happy to share my settings with you. =)

NemoKrad likes this.
  29. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

I'll try and get something for the next update.

30. BogdanP

BogdanP

Hello @NemoKrad

I have an issue using Distingo, i`m not sure if it is because of the asset or because of unity settings, I cannot figure what is wrong.

When I have Distingo shader assigned to my terrain, when I hit the Play button inside the Editor everything works OK. UnityPlayMode.jpg

If I build the game and start the .exe I will get the following result:
    UnityExe.jpg

Could you please help me out with this issue? I`m not sure if it is because of distingo, or..

I`m using unity 5.3.4 and for player settings I`m using DirectX11 (GPU Skinning).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  31. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

In Unity, when building fir release, you need to tell unity to include the shaders on build. I am on my phone at the moment, but ill do a screen grab layer and show you. You should be able to google it too :) but I you didn't know this was the issue, you could not search for it. Unity is a bit daft like that sometimes.

32. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

OK, so in Unity, dot he following:-

Edit->Project Settings->Graphics

In there add the shader(s) you are using to the Always Include Shaders section

This is due to Unity3D not including all shaders in the build.

33. BogdanP

BogdanP

Thanks a lot for the feedback, sadly its still not working :(

I`m not sure what i`m doing wrong, I added all distingo shaders in the 'Always Include Shaders section'.
    includedshaders.jpg

I also tried to create a new folder named 'Resources' and move Distingo folder there, but I get some errors, it was not a good idea :)

Attached Files:

34. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Yea, the Resources folder idea is probably not the best thing to do. It should be a matter of just adding the shaders to that list and they will get added to the build then.

Could you create a small project that has the issue and send it me, I can have a better look then. PM if you like :)

35. BogdanP

BogdanP

Hello,

I would highly appreciate your help on this matter, I cannot find the PM on unity forum in order to sent the small project via google drive, I tried to start a conversation, but it says that I cannot start a conversation with you.

Thanks,
    Bogdan P.

36. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

If you cant pm me, there is an email address in the pdf document fir support, mail me there and we can try and get to the bottom of this fir you :)

37. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Got it working, mailed you back with screen shots. Looks like you didn't switch the static light map off. Odd thing is, in 5.3.4, it renders on in the Editor OK, and it shouldn't :/

Anyway, hope you get it working in your project :) and if you have time post some shots of what it looks like :D

38. BogdanP

BogdanP

Yeah, now its working, thank you so much for your help!

I need to re-create my entire scene now, the build with the static lightmap broke my entire terrain (every time I render without lightmap on, the terrain is dark, it doesn't receive any light from the scene :( ).

Anyways now I can use your awesome shader in order to build my terrain, I`ll be back with some screens as soon as I have something I like :D

NemoKrad likes this.
  39. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

:) @NemoKrad you should add a in between blend section for tiling issues (''Far-Mid-Near'') It could come in handy for 3rd person games like mine:p

Also is it possible to add a section for heightmaps?

40. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Nice pics, is that using Distingo?

I'll have a think about mid range blend.

Height blending will come with the VTP add on.

runningbird and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  41. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

@NemoKrad yep :)

Nice to hear you have plans cant wait, your on to something great here for the price!
    BTW what is VTP, forgive me not knowing lol :)

NemoKrad likes this.
  42. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

Just seen what that meant :( well.. this sucks hopefully it becomes part of Distingo -_- At least the tiling issues are fixed kinda'' I just wish there was a system where I dont have to constantly add meshes to help break up tiling issues''

Good luck with the partnership''

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  43. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

Hi @NemoKrad - Does Distingo work in the latest Unity 5.4 beta? Thanks.

44. Jeryl

Jeryl

Hi,
    I've been playing around with distingo on my scene, and I've noticed that as soon as I used the asset to tweak the textures (only UV near/far on this pic), the ground becomes semi-transparent. You can see here the wall on the left : when it reaches the ground, you can see it continue beneath. Also, there is an 'aura' around the player when he is between the camera and the ground. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
    Grab 20160503172313 w1900h1200 x-637y30z-435r113.jpg

45. Rycons

Rycons

@NemoKrad

I recently updated to Version 1.2 and the textures stopped rendering on terrain.

I've tried importing everything into a fresh project and building a sample scene but unfortunately it still produced the same results. We are using Unity version 5.3.4p4.

Here's how it looks:

Can you reproduce this issue on your end?

Thank you.

46. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Not tried it, so I don't know. Sorry.

47. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Is that running it in the Editor as a stand alone? You can have that happen in the stand alone (so for example a PC build) if you don't tell Unity to include the shaders when it builds your code.

If that is occurring in the editor, are you getting any error messages?

Just spotted the bottom right corner, you are running that as a build, so looks like you need to include the shaders in the build. I will update the docs to remind people to do that. See the posts above by @BogdanP :)

48. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Hmm, not seen it do that before :/

Do you get this happening if you create a new project, import Distingo and do this with the Distingo scenes? Do you have any Image Effects on your camera?

49. NemoKrad

NemoKrad

Why do you have to add mesh's?

50. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

@NemoKrad I add meshs so I dont have to see a very flat surface when in first person'' Also because tiling, I'm just a little disappointed, but I got what I need which was fixing a big amount of unitys tiling issues'' 2016-05-03 20_29_58-.png
    Im trying to experiment with the normal's, but it isn't looking great, hopefully a mid range solution comes''