Search Unity

[RELEASED] Dimensions And Portals

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gobla, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Glutymax

Glutymax

Hey there, just wanted to say I'm excited about my purchase of this asset. If I can implement it and tweak it effectively, it'll be a boon to my game's design. I'd like to add static portal entrances into the game, not those shot from a gun as in the Valve game. Furthermore, I'm attempting to make the portals indistinguishable from other doorways. Hopefully I can achieve the effect where players don't realize they've been teleported to a different position.

Before I go into the more technical issues, I do have a question: I'm running Unity 5, so all of Unity's Pro functions are available to me. Does your asset allow me to use both Pro and Personal prefabs/scripts?

At the moment, I have been able to make the demo scenes work as per the documentation's instruction. I was able to implement the personal displaced dimension in my own test scene. I haven't successfully implemented the personal portal function of the asset, and I've run into problems with some of its prefabs.

Currently, there are a couple of issues. First, the FPCharacterController(portal) camera has a visual bug that freezes the skybox while duplicating the camera's rendering and pasting it all over the skybox. I'll add a screenshot if you'd like to see it. SOLVED: change FPCharacterController(portal) camera to Clear Flags: Skybox fixes this. Thanks Gobla!

Next, the square portal prefabs don't have cameras. I added a camera to the portal group and added the Portal Camera Script, but it didn't make it function as the portal cams do in the demo scene.

I believe I've looked through all the relevant sections in the documentation several times over. Hope I can get portals into my game! Thanks for the asset and your continued support!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. Gobla

Gobla

First of all, thank you for liking the package.

Perfectly possible. It does requires some tweaking of the colliders in the portal.

Absolutely!

3. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Gobla I haven't been here for a while so I don't know if anyone has asked or tried this to know if it's possible.

I see a lot of spaceships on the asset store but they're all pretty simple/fake due to the illuminated windows part of the texture. Lets suppose you have a room on a spaceship with a window, could you make that window frame a portal/dimension and the other portal a window frame that you see into that room? -that is likely possible but lets say you want to turn the portal with the window frame that looks into the room, instantiate it -turn it into a prefab that you can paint many times over a spaceships surface in the window areas to give anyone that is flying/floating by the ship the view into living quarters, command deck etc -eventually creating fleets of ships with the same. The windows could maybe have some kind of LOD and LOD4 perhaps could be the part of the illuminated texture I think this would be a simple cheat and break more people into buying the asset if there was a simple demo but I'm not sure if there can be multiple portals looking into one all together in view. Maybe the final challenge would be to allow light from outside the ship to pass through the portal, a search light for example without rendering it to all the other windows. -Anyway it would be good to know if this would at all be possible and not cause any major performance issues. I think in the future this idea could be applied to skyscrapers etc. I aim to provide realistic VR experiences.

4. jdraper3

jdraper3

I'm not the author of this asset, but if I understand you correctly, you are wanting to try and use the portal system to "fake" an interior of a spaceship model. As in the interior exists elsewhere in the scene, and you want to use portals placed over the windows to make it look like it does have interior spaces.

I can't see why this wouldn't work in theory, but unless you had a single window into every space, performance would probably not be great as you'd be drawing each room in its entirety once for every window.

With some modifications, I would think that you could get certain portal "groups" to share the same render texture, though you might run into perspective issues.

Interesting idea.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. wood333

wood333

Is this asset being developed?

Does it work with current release of Unity?

Does it work with the popular TPC assets by Invector and Opsive?