Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dimensions And Portals

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gobla, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Taylor-Libonati

Taylor-Libonati

Awesome package!

I am running into an issue though. I was able to get your demo scenes working properly. But now I am trying to get it setup on the GearVR which uses the same package as the Rift but has been updated slightly, so hopefully it can still work.

I followed the instructions for setting up the Rift and I am to teleport through gates properly in the headset but am not seeing anything appear on the Gate itself. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

One thing to note is that the Gear Camera Setup no longer has a OVRCameraController script so it doesn't have a “Follow Orientation” boolean. Which could very well be the problem.

Portal_Side1.PNG Portal_Side2.PNG

2. Gobla

Gobla

Yes, still waiting for a response.

That very well might be the issue. Follow Orientation is an important step in order to make it work. You might manually implement this or wait unit I've added GearVR support.

I haven't worked with the Gear Camera Setup but I've heard multiple people wanting this implementation in the past few weeks.

However I am unable to update or watch in my code since I am abroad for the next week. So I'm sorry to say that I must can deliver full support again at the 18th of may. So in short I will be checking this forum and my mail to help as much as I can from my mind but can't dig trough my code for support.

3. Taylor-Libonati

Taylor-Libonati

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like Follow Orientation isn't in the new SDK because it will just automatically follow whichever transform it is parented to. So I don't think that is the problem. I will keep experimenting though to see if I can track down the root of the issue.

4. Taylor-Libonati

Taylor-Libonati

The most obvious issue is that the names of the Cameras are different. So in CameraSetupOVR I changed the hard coded camera names to a variable that I can set. Now it is setting the cameras properly but still the final result is wrong. I will have to keep digging. Are there any other classes that access the cameras besides the DimensionsAndPortalsController class?

5. Tindajii

Tindajii

Taylor,

I have the same problem as you (with DK2 latest SDK 5.0.1). I have tracked down the problem, and am on my way to a solution but I don't think I'll be able to finish right away due to other obligations. At first I started to do a lot of re-writing of the DimensionsAndPortalsController.cs file and the CamSwitcher.cs file to match the new SDK CameraRig setup; but gave up after a while when I realized I may be able to emulate the old SDK layout by adding a camera.

After you fix the names of the cameras, the next problem is that OVRCameraRig does not have a camera attached to it; and the script is specifically looking for a camera to be attached to that object. On line 81 in the setupCamOVR() function it's looking for a camera (passed in from the cameras[] array from Awake()) with the tag "CamNormal" which I'm assuming we were to have placed on the OVRCameraRig. It may be better to place this camera on TrackingSpace so that the "CamNormal" camera is placed in a more relative position compared to the previous SDK. I believe the two eye cameras were only 1 child down from it. I also turned culling mask to nothing on both of them since I don't believe they were ever used for rendering (I could be wrong about that). So it appears the new problem is that the layers are not properly showing and hiding objects and incorrect things are rendering for each camera.

I may attempt to re-write a few of the OVR functions in the future to see if I can make it work, but that will have to wait for now.

6. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

I am curious about the Unity5 version, any ETA on that?

7. Gobla

Gobla

Resubmitting tomorrow for the 1st iteration of the Unity 5 update.

@Tindajii , @Taylor Libonati
    I attempt to have a solution ready by the evening or tomorrow evening. Might directly send the alteration instructions by PM or post them here prior to adding them in the package.

dizzymediainc likes this.
  8. Gobla

Gobla

GearVR instructions (Temporary feature add-in):

This does not solve all the issues with traveling trough the portals but it allows you to properly view the portals for now. I will look into the rest tomorrow.

1) Follow the instructions as in the documentation (Use OVRCameraRig instead of OVRCameraController).
    2) Add a boolean named useGearVR to DimensionsAndPortalsController
    3) Replace the code below (in Awake() or Start() depending on your version:

Code (CSharp):
    2.                     Camera[] cameras = portable.GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>();
    3.                     foreach(Camera cam in cameras) {
    4.                         if (useOculurRift == true) {
    5.                             setupCamOVR(cam,portable.transform);
    6.                         } else {
    7.                             setupCamNormal(cam,portable.transform);
    8.                         }
    9.                     }
    with the code below:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                 if (userGearVR == true) {
    2.                     OVRCameraRig[] rigs = portable.GetComponentsInChildren<OVRCameraRig>();
    3.                     foreach(OVRCameraRig rig in rigs) {
    4.                         setupCamGEARVR(rig.transform,portable.transform);
    5.                     }
    6.                 } else {
    7.                     Camera[] cameras = portable.GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>();
    8.                     foreach(Camera cam in cameras) {
    9.                         if (useOculurRift == true) {
    10.                             setupCamOVR(cam,portable.transform);
    11.                         } else {
    12.                             setupCamNormal(cam,portable.transform);
    13.                         }
    14.                     }
    15.                 }
    4) Add the following function to DimensionsAndPortalsController:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void setupCamGEARVR(Transform cam, Transform portable) {
    2.         if (cam.tag == "CamNormal") {
    3.             Camera[] cameras = cam.GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>();
    4.             foreach(Camera subCam in cameras) {
    5.                 if (subCam.name == "LeftEyeAnchor") {
    6.                     subCam.cullingMask = defaultLayersReal;
    7.                     subCam.depth = 2;
    8.                     subCam.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Depth;
    9.                     subCam.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredLighting;
    10.                     CamSwitcher switcher = subCam.gameObject.AddComponent<CamSwitcher>();
    11.                     switcher.playerTransform = portable;
    12.                 } else if (subCam.name == "RightEyeAnchor") {
    13.                     subCam.cullingMask = defaultLayersReal;
    14.                     subCam.depth = 1;
    15.                     subCam.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Depth;
    16.                     subCam.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredLighting;
    17.                     CamSwitcher switcher = subCam.gameObject.AddComponent<CamSwitcher>();
    18.                     switcher.listSwitcher();
    19.                     switcher.playerTransform = portable;
    20.                     AudioListener listener = subCam.GetComponent<AudioListener>();
    21.                     if (listener != null) {
    22.                         listener.enabled = true;
    23.                     }
    24.                 }
    25.                 if (subCam.name == "RightEyeAnchor" || subCam.name == "LeftEyeAnchor") {
    26.                     subCam.depthTextureMode = DepthTextureMode.Depth;
    27.                 }
    28.             }
    29.         } else if (cam.tag == "CamAlternate") {
    30.             Camera[] cameras = cam.GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>();
    31.             foreach(Camera subCam in cameras) {
    32.                 if (subCam.name == "LeftEyeAnchor") {
    33.                     subCam.cullingMask = alternateLayersReal;
    34.                     subCam.depth = -1;
    35.                     subCam.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Skybox;
    36.                     subCam.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredLighting;
    37.                     CamSwitcher switcher = subCam.gameObject.AddComponent<CamSwitcher>();
    38.                     switcher.playerTransform = portable;
    39.                 } else if (subCam.name == "RightEyeAnchor") {
    40.                     subCam.cullingMask = alternateLayersReal;
    41.                     subCam.depth = -2;
    42.                     subCam.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Skybox;
    43.                     subCam.renderingPath = RenderingPath.DeferredLighting;
    44.                     CamSwitcher switcher = subCam.gameObject.AddComponent<CamSwitcher>();
    45.                     switcher.listSwitcher();
    46.                     switcher.playerTransform = portable;
    47.                     AudioListener listener = subCam.GetComponent<AudioListener>();
    48.                     if (listener != null) {
    49.                         listener.enabled = false;
    50.                     }
    51.                 }
    52.                 if (subCam.name == "RightEyeAnchor" || subCam.name == "LeftEyeAnchor") {
    53.                     subCam.depthTextureMode = DepthTextureMode.Depth;
    54.                 }
    55.             }
    56.         }
    57.     }

9. Taylor-Libonati

Taylor-Libonati

@Tindajii
    Thanks for sharing your experience and hints.

@Gobla
    I tried following your instructions and modifying the scripts but without success. I am still getting rendering mistakes and not seeing anything through the dimensions. Capture.PNG

10. Tindajii

Tindajii

@Taylor Libonati , @Gobla

I haven't had time to try out the code you provided, Gobla; but I won't be using the mobile version (and I have the same, or similar problems). For what it's worth, my results look very similar to Taylors, except I can see the other dimension through the portal, but it seems a lot of the layers are not masking properly.

I also wanted to mention that Oculus released a new (and quite substantial) upgrade to the SDK. Although I'm not sure if they changed the nature of the OVRCameraRig in this latest version. I'll do my best to find some time to do some poking around in the next few days.

11. Gobla

Gobla

That is quite odd. I did this fix on a "developer" version of the DAP package so there might be some minor differences with the packages you have. I will try to enable the fix there tonight as well and post any differences I might encounter.

Also the Portal Gate is impoperly tagged as "DAP_Portal". Change the layers (except the actual gate) to "DefaultAndAlternate" to fix that part (gate leaking the other dimension).

I think Oculus is making their SDK API's similar for both mobile and stand-alone. I will also try to determine this tonight if I have enough time.

Furthermore for the rest I will post an introduction to the new package pipeline since it was submitted last night for review. This is because the new pipeline hods some major changes.

12. Gobla

Gobla

Introduction to DAP update 1.2

Changes:
    • Introduction of Dimensional Config Files (PRO setup for now only!)
    • Introduction of Unity Pro dimensions
      • More than 2 physicial dimensions per scene
      • Full render pipeline per dimension (Forward, Legacy Deferred, New Deferred)
      • No more "Dimension Camera Racing"
    • Better resource management (autodisable rendering if a portal is no longer visible)
    • Fixed Portal Gimbal locking issues.
    • Fixed Portal Physics with falling
    • Fixed Raycasting System. Rays do no longer collide on exit portal.
    • Unity 5 fixes
      • No more error messages
      • Fixed skybox in Unity 5
      • Still using Unity 4 FPSController for now
    In depth to Dimensional Config Files
    This is supported for Unity 5 Personal and Professional for now and will get "legacy" support for Unity 4 in a later release.

With this version an introduction with Dimensional Config files was made. A dimensional config holds essential values for Dimensional Rendering. This includes the render layers of the given dimension as well as the global render settings of that dimension (ambient lighting, fog, default skybox, etc.).

Dimension config files are added to your Main DAP controller so it can "Prepare" the Dimensions for rendering and interactions. This means that you no longer have to setup the DAP Layer settings per scene but you just can import the config files.

Furthermore Dimension config files can also be attached to dimensional gates. This allows for a simpler configuration of dimensions and their interactions. There will also be less overhead in the rendering pipeline by this. However the "Parallel" dimensional gates are not longer existent in it's old form. In order to have parallel dimensions that can be viewed from both sides you must place two of these gates at the same spot pointing towards each other's dimension. This is a bit of extra work but allows more flexibility in rendering and fx. Furthermore does this simplify the underlaying code, setup and understanding of this system.

In depth to the PRO Update
    The PRO update uses the same Dimensional Config files as the Person system. This includes render switchting, gate controlling, physics, etc. However using PRO enables a few key features. First of all this allows for more than 2 physical dimensions per scene. The current limit on simultaneous dimensions per scene is now based on the layers in Unity as well as the hardware it is running on. So this comes to about 4-10 physically separated dimensions. Do note that using smart setups can give the illusion of an infinity amount of different dimensions so you aren't limited to 4-10.

Furthermore since every dimensional gate is rendered by it's own camera system there are a few advantages. First of all this enables the bigger amount of dimensions. Secondly you can have per dimension image fx. You can also mix rendering pipelines if you like (e.g. use deferred rendering for your main cam and forward rendering for dimensions to be more efficient with your hardware). This also fixes the dimension gate camera racing (occlusion by objects between to gates in a scene when looking at two gates).

Future
    There is an increasing demand for VR setups. In the updates after this I will focus on a better support of VR-setups. However due to the rapid changing of VR-implementations and the wide variety of pacakges available (Unity's own VR system, Oculus, Oculus Mobile/GearVR, Durovis, Google Cardboard, and more) it is hard to keep up to date and to properly implement these packages. Due to DAP "hacking" in the rendering pipeline of Unity just like the VR-setups it puts extra strain on the engine and the options to implement. So please be understanding if VR-implementations go slow or out of date. I might consider making a VR implementation guide so people can implement these themselves.

Portals have been updates less than gates over time but will get more updates (like in the current version) in the future as well.

If there are any questions, tips, etc. Feel free to ask.

hopeful likes this.
  13. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

There is still no update to the asset store package.

14. hopeful

hopeful

It may be a few days before Unity releases the update. That's normal.

15. Nateply

Nateply

16. hopeful

hopeful

The main page shows up fine for me. Are you trying to reach a particular page?

17. Gobla

Gobla

Yes, and I expect this one to take a long time due to the great amount of changes. The initial submit took about 2 weeks until it was fully examined.

Works fine here? Also thank you for reminding. I haven't updated that site in a long time... :(

18. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Yea they can take their sweet time sometimes, i will have patience, just can't use this as it is now.

19. Gobla

Gobla

20. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

I think we would all prefer to see the latest version working.

21. Gobla

Gobla

22. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Looks great :) Can't wait to get my hands on it.

23. Gobla

Gobla

24. Taylor-Libonati

Taylor-Libonati

Nice update! I was able to download it. I got it working with the latest Rift/Gear VR package which is awesome. Still having trouble when I actually build it to the device though. Will let you know if I figure it out.

One problem I had to fix was that the portals didn't handle head tilt (Z axis) properly. The ground through the portal wouldn't stay line up. My work around was to add some code to the "UpdateCamPosition" function in "DimensionalGateController"

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void UpdateCamPosition() {
    2.         Vector3 mainCamPos = getDAPController().GetRealCam().transform.position;
    4.         if (displaced == false) { // Parallel: Plain copy paste main cam.
    5.             proCam.transform.position = mainCamPos;
    6.             proCam.transform.rotation = getDAPController().GetRealCam().transform.rotation;
    7.         } else {
    8.             proCam.transform.position = otherGate.transform.TransformPoint(transform.InverseTransformPoint(mainCamPos));
    9.             proCam.transform.forward = otherGate.transform.TransformDirection(transform.InverseTransformDirection(getDAPController().GetRealCam().transform.forward));
    11.             //MODIFED CODE
    12.             Vector3 rot = proCam.transform.localEulerAngles;
    13.             rot.z = getDAPController().GetRealCam().transform.localEulerAngles.z;
    14.             proCam.transform.localEulerAngles = rot;
    15.         }
    17.         proCam.nearClipPlane = Mathf.Max(0.01f,Vector3.Distance(transform.position,mainCamPos) - renderOffset);
    18.     }

Gobla likes this.
  25. Xorxor

Xorxor

2015-06-06 04-52-15.png I followed the steps for Oculus Rift Support in the documentation (ignoring step 4, "Follow Orientation"), but my portals appear opaque. I'm using Unity Personal 5.0.1f1 and OVR 1.5 (SDK 0.4.4). Any ideas on how to fix the portals and dimensions so that I can see through them? Thanks!

26. Gobla

Gobla

I'm going to try if I can replicate the issue today and see if I have a solution.

Nice! Please o share any insight you have (but be considerate with posting large portions of code ;) ) since it is quite a task to have all the VR implementations.

27. Xorxor

Xorxor

Awesome. Let me know if there's any other info you need. I'm also ok to try installing a newer Unity and or OVR if needed.

I understand that the Oculus support currently requires legacy. Does that mean that I can't have multiple dimensions at this point? Does this limitation remain with OVR SDK 0.6.0? Thanks!

28. Gobla

Gobla

I've done some intensive testing and I am afraid that OVR has become too "protective" in version 0.6.0 to properly integrate with DAP. I'll do my best to explain why this is happening and to give any future prospect:

Both DAP and OVR both rely on multiple camera's in order to achieve the desired effect: for DAP multiple dimensions/views/etc and for OVR stereoscopic view. Now the reason this could still work is that OVR relied on rendertextures alone to give the view that was wanted and that DAP could use both rendertextures or a non-rendertexture setup. However this would mean that for every dimension you want to render you would have to make a new instance of an OVR renderer. This is no longer possible in OVR 0.6.0 (Unity will crash big time if you bypass this!). There are also a few other things that were made impossible in this version without hacking into the OVR code (e.g. dual eye preview without owning an Oculur Rift).

This all worked fine up to at least 0.4.2 (latest I've tested without any issues) and I expect it still to work with some modifications in OVR 0.5.1 (luckily) by some tests I've done as well as the forum posts on the OVR forums.

However would it be worth it to be stuck with version 0.5.1...? I would say NO! There are many awesome upcoming features in the OVR releases as well as the DAP releases that would greatly match. This would also be the case for other VR-setups with DAP. The issue is the fragmentation and the competition of the VR-setups as well as the method of integration that DAP utilizes that I fear that support for various setups will become very hard to maintain or even impossible.

So what to do with this all? Personally I will update DAP to the latest version of OVR that can be integrated with DAP (meaning 0.5.x) and hope for the best that there will be a future update of OVR that no longer forces single instances and becomes more friendly for editing (meaning not excluding developers that can not afford the Oculus Rift and the many other upcoming VR-setups). I am still a student and selling assets is my only form of income I can have during my internships which roughly translates that in a good month I break even on my normal living cost. However I am doing this primarily for fun and thus can not make great cost to keep this up if I have to buy these VR-setups.

There is still something that you (all the people that love and support DAP and/or VR-gaming) can do. Seek out the developers of the VR-setups and ask them to come with a unified standard. Perhaps Unity can make a single API for various VR-setups that integrates fine with Unity so that game developers can do what they do best: make games.

All in all I hope that there comes a solution to the VR-scattering so in the end game developers do not end up with legacy support only for DAP and other packages/games.

My apologies for the lengthy post.

tl;dr: OVR 0.6.0 is too closed/protected to integrate with DAP. Will integrate OVR 0.5.x (latest version possible). If nothing changes with Unity or VR-setup developers it may be the end of VR support for DAP and other games or packages in the future.

29. Xorxor

Xorxor

I'll gladly take an OVR 0.5.x solution. Thanks so much for your support!!!

30. nuonical

nuonical

Has anyone had any luck integrating this with UFPS? One issue I'm seeing is that the stock UFPS character requires the camera to be a direct child of the player object, so with this portal setup the "playerCameraHolder" object doesn't quite work properly. Right now I can get the portals to spawn and show the effect, but the character doesn't quit go through them. I can occasionally get the character to go through, but he seems to go through the wrong side of the other portal.

Any ideas on how to integrate this with UFPS?

Is there a way to support Deferred rendering?

31. nuonical

nuonical

Any support on these issues?

32. hopeful

hopeful

@nuonical - Keep in mind that plugin devs don't always get notification of a new post in their threads. If you have an urgent matter, contact them by PM or by the support email listed along with their asset in the store.

nuonical likes this.
  33. Gobla

Gobla

Yes, sorry this one slipped my notification (got stacked with another thread). Thank you hopeful for pointing that out.
    Nuonical posted some detailed questions in mail that I will answer there.

34. nuonical

nuonical

@Gobla Thank you for the reply via e-mail. I will continue working on integration and see if I can get the portal system to work with another character controller.

One bug I noticed in the portals demo is that it's easy to fall through the floor and ceilings.Try this, as an example : shoot a portal into the floor (we'll call this portal 1), then the ceiling with 2. Now jump through the floor (1) and as you descend from the ceiling (2) shoot 2 somewhere else on the ground. Normally you should shoot up from the new portal once you re-enter 1, but instead you fall through the portal of #1 through the floor into space.

35. Gobla

Gobla

Thank you for reporting this bug. I've looked into this and it seems that during shooting the state of the wall or floor it is attached to is not properly reset and updated. I will come with a fix in the next update.

hopeful likes this.
  36. bakanoodle

bakanoodle

How do I get the cameras on portals to work when I place them manually?

I want to have a portal setup without the player placing it.

37. Gobla

Gobla

Normally placing 2 portals and linking them to each other and linking the portal to an object (all in the inspector) should suffice.

Please let me know if you have any issues placing them.

38. bakanoodle

bakanoodle

Ok, I think I got it working.
    The problem was the portal pre-fabs did not have cameras on them. I copy-pasted the cloned versions in the portal demo and placed those manually and got it working.

39. Gobla

Gobla

Normally the camera's should initialize based on your main camera automatically if you also have a DAPController. But this should work as well.

40. jdraper3

jdraper3

This looks like a great asset that will save me a lot of time, but I have a question before I purchase.

My game is 3rd person, not 1st person - will this implementation work in that context? Are there any special requirements that I need to take into consideration?

41. Gobla

Gobla

As far for visualizing there are no real requirements for 3rd person. Be thoughtful when transitioning from one scene to the other (in case of dimensions) since a sudden screenchange can ruin the effect if not done properly. Otherwise there are no items I can think of.

42. jdraper3

jdraper3

Great -- thanks so much for the quick response!

43. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

How exactly would I setup a static system to link 2 unseen gateways to each other?
    I am going to need to do this in several places with several different gateways but have no idea how to independantly link them together.

To make this easier to understand, I am trying to add several larger rooms into smaller rooms through the doorway.

44. jdraper3

jdraper3

The manual says that the unity Character Controller standard asset is required. My game is 3rd person and uses a custom character movement setup, and doesn't use the character controller at all. Is that asset required? i read something about it using the cam in the prefab to clone for the portal effect. If that's the case, what is the workaround?

I haven't had any luck getting the visual effects on the Gates/Portals/etc to work (though teleportation works fine) and I am kind of stumped. Portals only work if I shoot them with the portal gun (using the controller prefab). I'm having a really rough time following the manual and have resorted to trying to step through all of the code to see what is going on, but the three different setups (Legacy/Personal/Pro) are confusing me a bit since they all seem to work differently. For the record, I've tried all three and have had no luck with any of them.

The demo scenes work great though.

45. yezzer

yezzer

Anyone know if this works with the native VR in Unity 5.1.x?

46. Gobla

Gobla

This is in progress.

The provided scripts for portal use are examples on how to implement such a setup. You can implement your own version if you like. The PlayerPortalController holds a property for the camera it is used to clone so that visual fx, render settings, etc. stay the same.

Legacy/Personal/Pro only snap in the rendering pipeline for dimensions for now. These have no difference in outcome for the teleportation and such. Portals use the legacy pipeline only. You can manually place portals by attaching a portalcamera script to a camera, placing said camera in the portal hierarchy (as a child) and link the transform in the portalcontroller. Also make sure you link this portal to another portal.

Depending if the rendersettings per room are different you can either go with portals or dimensions. can you please specify what you want? PM if you don't want to spoil anything if your project is confidential.

47. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Essentially what I want to be able to do is set up seamless "doors" into larger rooms.
    I need to do this with about 8 rooms (not sure how processor-intensive that is) and I would need it impossible to tell that you are walking through a portal or whatever it is (no tint or anything).

Once I get something like this working I will be more than happy to show the results, but I am at a loss to see how to do this at the moment.

In the editor I may also want a way to see them (only in the editor, not in-game), I was thinking like a Gizmo icon or something.

48. nuonical

nuonical

Any updates on this fix?

49. silentslack

silentslack

HI,

Any update whether this is available for native VR in Unity 5? Thanks!

50. Gobla

Gobla

This used to work in OVR (see http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-dimensions-and-portals.226832/page-2#post-2149189) and still does for 0.4.x.

I have had contact with Oculus about the DK-2 and CV-1 versions. They recommended that I would wait until CV-1 comes out before ordering it since DK-2 support will drop after ~1 year and CV-1 has certain features that the DK-2 does not have. So I will postpone all VR development until I can get the CV-1. I've saved ALL the income from asset development over the past 3 months and this should just suffice for buying the CV-1. From there I will continue developing for OVR (trough Unity's native VR support).