Search Unity

[70% OFF - FLASH DEAL] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TheClap007

TheClap007

Oh my god it works perfectly! Thank you so much for the update!

TonyLi likes this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help! :)

3. nichjaim

nichjaim

Sorry I think I asked about this before but I'm having troubles with ConversationControl's SkipAll. I'm using a more up-to-date version of the dialogue system now on a different project but I still have the same problem with the skip which just goes to the next node and not to the next player-decision node. The toggle auto-play seems to work fine though. I checked the docs page for it and it doesn't seem to specify any special conditions needed besides having the ConversationControl script being on the dialogue UI object.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - Here's an example scene that demonstrates ConversationControl. It was exported from Unity 2021. Can you tell me what's different about your ConversationControl setup?

Attached Files:

nichjaim likes this.
  5. nichjaim

nichjaim

Is there a way to make a dialogue node into some kinda dialogue routing node that doesn't initiate dialogue itself but simply acts as a pit-stop to cleanly direct the conversation to the next conditionally appropriate node. I would probably also need any script stuff associated with that routing node to still be executed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - That's precisely what Group nodes are for:

upload_2022-3-13_9-1-51.png

They act as pass-through nodes that can run Conditions and Scripts, but they don't show dialogue text or play sequences.

nichjaim likes this.
  7. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Hello, loving the asset a lot on my new project. I ran into something last night where if the player exits to the main menu during dialog it will continue through the main menu scene, is there an option to terminate dialog on exiting the scene? Away from my computer at the moment to poke around and curious about it!

8. Jakuri_F

Jakuri_F

Hi Tony,
    How can I run a sequence command when the conversation ends? I want to hide event CG at that point.
    Thank you!

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

HI - Call DialogueManager.StopConversation(). It's fine to call it if no conversation is running, too. You could add a script to your scene that calls this method when the scene is unloaded:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. public class StopConversationOnDestroy : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     void OnDestroy() { PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueManager.StopConversation(); }
    5. }
    However, it might be more convenient to call it in your main menu scene when the main menu scene starts. Just drop this script onto a GameObject in your main menu scene: (Add it to a GameObject that disappears when the main menu is unloaded.)

StopConversationOnStart.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. public class StopConversationOnStart : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     void Start() { PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.DialogueManager.StopConversation(); }
    5. }

Hi - Here are two ways:

1. Add another node to the end of the conversation. Leave the Dialogue Text blank, and put your sequencer command in the Sequence field. If your conversations require continue button clicks, also add Continue()

2. Or add a Dialogue System Trigger to either conversation participant's GameObject. Set it to OnConversationEnd, and select Add Action > Play Sequence.

Jakuri_F likes this.
  10. Jakuri_F

Jakuri_F

Hi Tony,
    How can I skip the Focus and Unfocus animation? I tried to set the speed of Focus and Unfocus animation to 999 and -999 but the animation is still played normally.
    Thank you!

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - The easiest way is to remove the subtitle panel's Animator components.

However, if you want to play Show and Hide animations but not Focus and Unfocus, you can clear the subtitle panel components' Focus Animation Trigger and Unfocus Animator Trigger fields. Then edit the animator controller that's assigned to the subtitle panel's Animator. Remove the Focus and Unfocus states, and change the Show animation to show the panel elements in the values you want. For example, if the Show animation currently sets the Portrait Image to a darkened version -- e.g., color 0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 1 -- then change it to show the Portrait Image with a full color version -- e.g., 1, 1, 1, 1.

Jakuri_F likes this.
  12. TonyLi

TonyLi

tiny games to make magic with - New itch.io Bundle

Check out Tomorrow for Mar, made with the Dialogue System for Unity and just released in itch.io's tiny games to make magic with bundle.

upload_2022-3-21_16-18-29.png

Rising Spire - 3 Days Left in Kickstarter

The Kickstarter for Rising Spire, made with the Dialogue System for Unity, has just 3 days left. It's really close to the next stretch goal of voice acting. If you like classic turn-based RPGs, check it out on Kickstarter.

upload_2022-3-21_16-26-15.png

Disco Elysium 60% Off in GOG's Spring Sale

Disco Elysium, made with the Dialogue System for Unity, is 60% off right now in GOG's Spring Sale.

upload_2022-3-21_16-21-9.png

Unity Visual Scripting, Makinom, ORK Support

The Dialogue System Extras page has an integration package for Unity's Visual Scripting package. It also has updated packages for the latest versions of Gaming Is Love's Makinom and ORK RPG Framework.

AGregori likes this.
  13. AGregori

AGregori

Thrown when installing the AC integration (latest AC + DS):

bOdexQAGy1.png

14. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - Does your project have a misbehaving script named "QuestLog" that's not properly in a namespace? A vanilla AC + DS installation shouldn't report those errors. (I just tested to confirm.)

15. AGregori

AGregori

@TonyLi thank you, now that you confirmed it's a local issue, I'll investigate.

TonyLi likes this.
  16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 2.2.26 Released

Version 2.2.26 is now live on the Asset Store!

Highlights:
    • Arcweave import capability
      upload_2022-3-24_8-42-48.jpeg
      (Also improvments to articy:draft and Celtx import)

• Visual Scripting package integration

• Dialogue Editor improvements: "Add New Field To Entry" convenience button; option to show titles instead of dialogue text in "Links To:" dropdowns

• Update integrations for ORK 3 and Makinom 2

Release Notes:

Core:
    • Added: Visual Scripting package support.
    • Added: SequencerMessage() sequencer command.
    • Improved: WaitForMessage() sequencer command can now wait for multiple messages.
    • Improved: Added Block Input Duration option to Standard UI Subtitle Panel to prevent spamming continue button.
    • Improved: Added "Add New Field To Entry" button to quest entry area in Dialogue Editor for quick adding of custom entry fields.
    • Improved: Localization Export/Import can now export user-defined dialogue entry fields and quest fields.
    • Improved: Add regex searching to the Dialogue Editor's Database > Global Search/Replace.
    • Improved: If no database is selected, Dialogue Editor shows bullseye selector for easier database selection.
    • Improved: Add Dialogue Editor menu option Show > Prefer Titles In 'Links To' list.
    • Fixed: Zoom2D() now accepts speaker as default subject if none is specified.
    • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect with accumulate text didn't handle uppercase rich text tags.
    • Fixed: Dialogue UI Wait For Main Panel To Open checkbox coordination issue with subtitle panel continue button.
    • Fixed: Emphasis tag underline setting now supported for TMPro and STM
    • Fixed: If UIPanel.monitorSelection is false, selectPreviousOnDisable is not observed.
    • Fixed: On all dialogue UI prefabs, untick Select Previous On Disable on Dialogue Panels.
    • Fixed: DemoMenu sets timeScale to 1 if exiting application while open.
    • Fixed: Custom quest entry fields can now be drawn using custom field types.
    Third Party Support:
    • Arcweave: Added import support.
    • articy:draft: Dropdowns can now be imported as technical names, display names, or index values.
    • Celtx: Added more error handling information for duplicate or missing Celtx content.
    • Makinom: Updated for Makinom 2.x.
    • Opsive Character Controllers: Can now use {0} in ability message text to show target's actor name.
    • ORK Framework: Updated for ORK 3.x.
    • Now We're Talking: Added NWTActor component for babble speak; NWT() sequencer command can now load audio dynamically (e.g., entrytags).

EpicMcDude and AGregori like this.
  17. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System + Love/Hate + Quest Machine Tutorial Series

A video tutorial series on integrating the Dialogue System for Unity, Love/Hate, and Quest Machine is now available on the Pixel Crushers YouTube channel.

The Dialogue System includes a full-featured quest system used in many games, including full-length RPGs. If you're looking for something more, such as procedurally-generated quests or a node-based quest editor, you can integrate Quest Machine. (See the Dialogue System / Quest Machine feature comparison for details.) For "factions on steroids," you can integrate Love/Hate.

Reminder: Quest Machine is 50% off in the Asset Store's Time Warp Sale.

AGregori likes this.
  18. pnelma

pnelma

Hello! relatively new programmer here. bought the dialogue system recently, really enjoying it. I want to have tooltips appear over text within NPC dialogue, like in Pyre or Battletech. I am not sure how to designate text as having a tooltip in it (like this hyperlink or <a href="how this would work">in html, my first language</a>) within the dialogue. somewhere in this thread is an example you did of Elder Scrolls type linking but it seemed to be broken when I loaded it into Unity. :(

at the moment, I have a tooltip built off of this tutorial looking at the Description field for tooltip text on option buttons and that's working pretty well. (I don't super remember how or why this is working, having done this several months ago, so reverse-engineering that functionality hasn't gotten me very far.)

thanks so much for any help you can offer.

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! The Dialogue System Extras page has a Hover Response Button Example. If you have any questions about adapting it, just let me know.

20. pnelma

pnelma

I knew the description thing was from somewhere legit! Thank you for routing me back to it. The Hover Response Button works like a charm, but I am also looking to call out text within the NPC dialog text itself more akin to the morrowind thing you built at one point. I can't get it to run, so I'm not sure how to puzzle it out.

My suspicion is creating an anchor with textmeshpro or lua in the dialog text and pointing it out to the hover response button somehow, but i don't know how to adapt it quite right for that purpose. thank you so much for your patience!

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for. Here's an updated version of the Keywords Example package:

DS_KeywordsExample_2022-04-01.unitypackage

22. pnelma

pnelma

that is super super helpful, thank you so much!!!!

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help!

24. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Hey there!

I'm having an issue deselecting options in the NPC setup. See the attached image. Those errors pop up when I try to deselect the "Dialogue Actor" checkbox.
    destroy.png

This also happened in the "Actions" tab, for the "Dialogue System Trigger" checkbox.

I'm on 2020.3.32f1.

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Use the wizard on a scene object, not a prefab. Or, in this case, just remove the Dialogue Actor from the prefab yourself if you prefer.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  26. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Good to hear, thanks.

Something else I just noticed - if I change a conversation name in the "Dialogue" window, it doesn't automatically update any references to that conversation - it still shows the original conversation in the "Dialogue System Trigger" component (and gives an error at runtime).
    DSfU_update.png

No idea if it's known or trivial/difficult to fix, just FYI.

Also, the Player Setup Wizard mentions using the Set Component Enabled On Dialogue Event component to disable things on the player, but it looks like it automatically selects the Selector component to enable/disable (which is independent from how my character is controlled). Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  27. TonyLi

TonyLi

To maintain text import/export compatibility with all the external formats that the Dialogue System supports (e.g., articy:draft, Chat Mapper, Arcweave, etc.), conversation titles are referenced by their text values. You can use the Asset Renamer tool (menu item Tools > Pixel Crushers > Dialogue System > Tools > Asset Renamer) to rename variables, quests, and actors -- and automatically update all references in your scenes and prefabs accordingly. The next Dialogue System update will also rename conversation titles and automatically update all references.

You don't have to use the Player Setup Wizard. It's designed to simplify setup of most common configurations, but it can't cover all possible configurations. If you want to enable or disable things, you can in general just add a Dialogue System Events component like the setup covered in the Interaction Video Tutorial.

28. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!

29. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy to help! Questions are always welcome! :)

30. EpicMcDude

EpicMcDude

Hi TonyLi,

I've just integrated your plug-in to my project, excited to work with it!
    Is there a way to check if a dialogue option has already been chosen and grey it out and/or delete the entry? This is so I can loop back around to the same node that has multiple dialogue choices instead of having to create the same node multiple times.

Thanks!

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @EpicMcDude - Thanks for using the Dialogue System!

Yes. Tick the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Use SimStatus checkbox. This will track which options have been chosen. Then set Input Settings > [em#] Tag For Old Responses:

upload_2022-4-8_16-35-52.png

Old responses will appear in the emphasis tag setting you choose. Use the Database section > Emphasis Settings section to specify how that emphasis tag will look:

upload_2022-4-8_16-37-37.png

Related 1: How To: Apply Old Response Formatting to Subtitle Text

If you want to show non-interactable buttons for options whose Conditions are false, you can tick Include Invalid Entries and set [em#] Tag For Invalid Entries:

upload_2022-4-8_16-38-21.png

To conditionally show some invalid options but not others, see the link in How To: Do Skill Checks in Conversations

32. EpicMcDude

EpicMcDude

That is awesome, thank you very much for your detailed reply!
    In your last link, I didn't even know there was another forum, that's a great resource. Sorry if this question was covered in the demo scenes, I couldn't get them to run properly as due to some physics issue/bug according to the profiler where it was running at 200ms.

Not to worry, I'm getting the hang of it, thank you again.

33. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help! Maybe Unity was computing light maps or something. A tip on the Pixel Crushers forum: in the search bar, enter "HOWTO" (one word) plus a question to find useful articles.

EpicMcDude likes this.
  34. EpicMcDude

EpicMcDude

Hi TonyLi,

I've got another basic question, I've searched the forums and manual but still not sure how to set this up. I'm just trying to send an event to my Playmaker FSM after the conversation is over, so that the event doesn't happen in the middle of the conversation when the player doesn't have control yet.

upload_2022-4-9_23-3-21.png

Is there a way to do this just through this Sequence input box?

Thank you!

35. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @EpicMcDude - If the FSMEvent() command is in a sequence in a conversation node, it will happen during the conversation. To make it happen after the conversation ends, you can add a Dialogue System Trigger to one of the two primary participant GameObjects, and set it to OnConversationEnd. Then select Add Action > Play Sequence:

upload_2022-4-9_21-16-3.png

EpicMcDude likes this.
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 2.2.27 Released

Version 2.2.27 is now available on the Asset Store!

Release Notes:

Core:
    • Added: Sequencer keywords speakerportrait and listenerportrait.
    • Improved: Renamer window can now rename conversation titles.
    • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect can now handle margin-left and margin-right tags.
    • Fixed: StandardUIMenuPanel now refreshes selectables list after setting up menu so selection check will work even if Refresh Frequency is zero.
    Third Party Support:
    • Adventure Creator: Added acGetObjectiveState() Lua function.
    • Invector Controllers: Updated for version 2.6.1b.
    • NLua: Updated compatibility with NLua.
    • Opsive Character Controllers: Updated for version 2.4.7.
    • Opsive Ultimate Inventory System: Updated for version 1.2.7.

37. EpicMcDude

EpicMcDude

Hi again TonyLi,

The barks system uses World Space canvases and I was wondering which would be more performant, those canvases or TMP 3D text above the characters heads?
    I've used the latter before for a barks system I made, it worked great and seemed performant. I don't know if world space canvases on each character (dozens each scene) would be more or as performant as TMP 3D text. Would you know if it makes any difference performance wise? Is it okay to have dozens of world space canvases?

Also have another question, is it possible to expand the conversation window of the NPC while the typewriter is in effect? Right now the window immediately sizes to the length of the text without the typewriter effect being done, wondering if it's possible to resize it alongside the typewriter effect.

Thank you

PS: Sorry for the string of questions in this thread, this asset is a lot to take in! I search before every question but sometimes can't quite find what I'm looking for.

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

Either way is generally fine. The canvases aren't doing anything except for when a character barks. But you can always use TMP 3D text if you prefer; just add a script that implements IBarkUI. (There's a starter template script in the Templates/Scripts folder.)

The typewriter effect actually has a not-insignificant amount of code to implement the current behavior instead of growing the text box as the text is typed. It gives a more polished impression than having the text box expand as the text grows. However, if you want to make the text box expand, you can implement your own subclass of AbstractTypewriterEffect and use that instead of TextMeshProTypewriterEffect (or UnityUITypewriterEffect for those using UI Text).

No worries -- I'm happy to help! You can also often find answers on the Pixel Crushers forum. In the Pixel Crushers forum's search bar, enter "HOWTO" (one word) and a question.

EpicMcDude likes this.
  39. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

Hello!

Is there a way to add a small wait time after confirming a response and the responses buttons are hidden and before the next dialog entry is shown?

I could do it by adding a sequence to the dialog nodes after the choices but i don't want to add it after every choice. Is there a way to do this general?

Reason:
    I want to simulate like a small think/processing time of the NPCs answering after the choices (for example 0.3 sec). So it feels more immersive after player interaction with the NPC and the answer dialog doesn't appear so fast.

40. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Inspect the Dialogue Manager GameObject. Set Display Settings > Camera & Cutscene Settings > Default Player Sequence to:

Delay(0.3)

ClaudiaTheDev likes this.
  41. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

Thank you, this works perfect:)!
    When i have cases in which i don't want to use the delay but just show the dialog as usual, what do i need to write in the sequence of the dialog node of the player so it overrides?

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

You can set that node's Sequence to: None()
    If you don't want to type it, you can select it from the Sequence field's "+" dropdown menu.

ClaudiaTheDev likes this.
  43. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

Thank you for the fast help!

TonyLi likes this.
  44. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hello Tony

If i instantiate an object in runtime (included dialogue trigger system) there is a method to call the OnExecute (call other object) in the editor

Thanks

Attached Files:

45. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @claudius_I - Are you saying that the Dialogue System Trigger's OnExecute() UnityEvent doesn't have anything assigned to it, but you'd like to assign an event handler to it at runtime? If so, use the AddListener() method. For example:

Code (csharp):
    1. // As an example, create a GameObject with a DialogueSystemTrigger component:
    2. var dsTrigger = new GameObject("My DS Trigger").AddComponent<DialogueSystemTrigger>();
    4. // Now hook up OnExecute() to log something to the Console:
    5. dsTrigger.onExecute.AddListener(() => { Debug.Log("This DS Trigger was just used."); });
    7. // Also hook it up to a C# method:
    8. dsTrigger.onExecute.AddListener(Foo);
    10. ...
    11. void Foo(GameObject interactor)
    12. {
    13.     Debug.Log("The DS Trigger was used by " + interactor);
    14. }

claudius_I likes this.
  46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System for Unity - 70% Off Sale

upload_2022-4-18_7-57-13.png

The Asset Store's Spring Sale and Lightning Deals are going strong.
    You can get the Dialogue System for 70% off while the flash sale lasts.

Dwerve at PAX East
    Dwerve, made with the Dialogue System for Unity, is an official PAX Rising Selection! If you're going to be at PAX East this week, say hi to the devs at Half Human Games and check out their game.

Lake Available on PlayStation
    The hit cozy delivery game Lake, made with the Dialogue System for Unity, is now available on PlayStation 4 & 5 in addition to Xbox and Steam.

upload_2022-4-18_8-8-31.png

47. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you're at PAX East, drop by the Pax Rising section to say hi to Half Human Games and congratulate them on the release date announcement of Dwerve, made with the Dialogue System for Unity:

Making a game with the Dialogue System? Drop us a line if you'd like to add it to our Games Showcase page.

The Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, and Love/Hate are all on sale right now!

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Way of Wrath in Hooded Horse's PAX East Showcase, Peglin Enters Early Access, Dialogue System 70% Off

In addition to Dwerve's Pax Rising feature at PAX East, Publisher Hooded Horse released a showcase of games including The Way of Wrath, made with the Dialogue System for Unity and Quest Machine:

Peglin, the Peggle-meet-Slay-the-Spire game made with the Dialogue System, just entered Early Access today!

Spring Sale Ends 4/29

The Dialogue System for Unity and Love/Hate are 70% off right now in the Spring Sale!

Quest Machine is 50% off, too!

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Spring Sale ends tomorrow!

The Dialogue System for Unity and Love/Hate are both currently 70% off, and Quest Machine is 50% off.

The Dialogue System Extras page has some neat recent additions, including a book style dialogue UI that lets the player flip through your conversations as if they're reading a book:

upload_2022-4-28_16-41-24.png

Other recent additions include a multi-character SMS text messaging style example, and an example response menu that demonstrates how to show an arrow next to the current selection. It also has old favorites such as a menu framework, a visual novel starter framework, and more.

50. TonyLi

TonyLi

upload_2022-4-29_9-51-10.png

Reminder: The Spring Sale ends TODAY at 23:59:59 PDT.

The Dialogue System for Unity and Love/Hate are both currently 70% off, and Quest Machine is 50% off.

If you have anything in your cart, remember to check out today before midnight to take advantage of the discounts.