Search Unity

[70% OFF - FLASH DEAL] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SI_007

SI_007

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your line of code! I still had some rotation issues at first, but once I moved the dialogue offset repositioning codes above the flip check, everything worked correctly with your new line of code.

I also noticed that when the response panel shows up the 1st response is always "selected" (according to the button component - see picture below). This shouldn't be the case, unless there is a pre-select 1st response check box that I have missed somewhere. Do you know which script evaluates whether the buttons are hovered, selected, etc?

FYI: Here is an excerpt of the revised process:
    // Move dialogue panel to offset from me:
    dialoguePanelCanvas.transform.rotation = transform.rotation;
    dialoguePanelCanvas.transform.position = transform.position + transform.rotation * offset;

// May need to flip based on NPC's rotation (i.e., if NPC's model rotation is backward):
    if (flip)
    {
    dialoguePanelCanvas.transform.RotateAround(dialoguePanelCanvas.transform.position, Vector3.up, 180);
    }

Thanks again!
    Pascal

Attached Files:

TonyLi likes this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue Manager GameObject has an Input Device Manager component. Try setting its Input Device dropdown to Mouse.

If the Input Device is set to Joystick or Keyboard, the response menu will auto-select the first response button so the player can navigate them using a joystick or keyboard. It will also auto-select if the Input Device Manager's Always Auto Focus checkbox is ticked.

The Input Device Manager detects what device you're using. If you move or click the mouse, it will switch to Mouse mode. If you use the joystick, it will switch to Joystick mode. Since you're using VR, just set it to Mouse.

SI_007 likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System for Unity 50% Off!

upload_2021-12-13_8-43-31.jpeg
    upload_2021-12-13_8-44-23.png

Last chance of the year to get the Dialogue System for Unity for 50% off.

Love/Hate and Quest Machine are on sale, too, and they all have integration with each other.

If your cart totals $150+, use coupon code HELLO2022 for an extra 5% off everything.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Ways To Get Support / Contact Us:
    An Asset Store customer named srazysnake had a question about localization export/import. srazysnake - If you see this message, please contact us using any of the methods above so we can help you.

5. Hi @TonyLi! I have a sanity question before I jump in head first into making my own solutions for these.
    I tried to find answers with no avail.

Do you have, are you working on or are you planning to have official support for any of these:
    - Unity Localization package
    - FMod for Unity - this doesn't need an explanation, I guess :)
    - PuppetFace (like Salsa but more advanced and more precise, in exchange it is not real time)

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Lurking-Ninja -
    • Unity Localization: Yes, relatively soon.
    • FMod for Unity: No plans for official integration.
    • PuppetFace: Yes. Not as soon as Unity Localization, but definitely on the roadmap.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  7. Thanks! Then I will start with the FMod one. :D Appreciate it!

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

The New Yorker's Best Video Games of 2021 - Lake

Congratulations to Gamious for their game Lake, which The New Yorker just included in their selective list of Best Video Games of 2021! Lake is made with the Dialogue System for Unity.

Lake is available on Xbox and PC. It's also on Xbox Game Pass!

Reminder: The Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, and Love/Hate are 50% off in the Asset Store's New Year Sale. Use coupon code HELLO2022 for an extra 5% off checkouts of $150+.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  9. hikariqing

hikariqing

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your great asset!
    I using Dialogue System ,but some error is occured.
    Can you give me some sugguestion?

I make my game with my friends by Github.
    But tihs error only occured on my PC,even we used the same project data.
    Sorry for poor English.

nullreferenceexception: object reference not set to an instance of an object pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.standarduidialoguecontrols.showpanel () (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/ui/standard/dialogue/standarduidialoguecontrols.cs:84) pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.abstractdialogueui.open () (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/ui/abstract/dialogue/abstractdialogueui.cs:104) pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.standarddialogueui.open () (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/ui/standard/dialogue/standarddialogueui.cs:98) pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.conversationview.initialize (pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.idialogueui ui, pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.sequencer sequencer, pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.displaysettings displaysettings, pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.dialogueentryspokendelegate dialogueentryspokenhandler) (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/mvc/view/view/conversationview.cs:98) pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.dialoguesystemcontroller.warmupconversationcontroller () (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/manager/dialoguesystemcontroller.cs:772) pixelcrushers.dialoguesystem.dialoguesystemcontroller.start () (at assets/sariaasset/scripts/pixel crushers/dialogue system/scripts/manager/dialoguesystemcontroller.cs:493)

Thanks again!

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @hikariqing - Thanks for using the Dialogue System! Would you please send me a private message or email to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com containing:
    • Your Asset Store invoice number
    • The version of the Dialogue System (located in Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Dialogue System / _README.txt)
    • In your dialogue UI, is the Standard Dialogue UI component's Conversation UI Elements > Main Panel field assigned? If not, try assigning a main Dialogue Panel there.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Soul Tolerance - Final 24 Hours On Kickstarter

Check out Soul Tolerance on Kickstarter. There are only 24 hours left if you want to be a backer. Soul Tolerance is a cyberpunk voxel graphics adventure game made with the Dialogue System for Unity.

The developer's previous game, Clunky Hero, is also made with the Dialogue System and is available on Steam and other platforms.

Reminder: The Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, and Love/Hate are all 50% off right now in the Asset Store's New Year Sale.

upload_2021-12-17_10-40-38.jpeg

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 2.2.23 Released!

Some highlights:
    • Dialogue Editor's Conversations section now has browser-style forward & back buttons for quick navigation
    • Conversations section now has title filter field
    • Variable Viewer window lets you change variable values at runtime
    • Can now import content from Yarn Spinner:

Release Notes:

Core:
    • Changed: Dialogue Manager prefab's default canvas now has Canvas Scaler that scales with screen size.
    • Changed: AbstractConverterWindow now uses a generic type for preferences. If you've written a custom importer, update the class definition line.
    • Improved: Variable Viewer window can now change variable values at runtime.
    • Improved: Added conversation title filter bar.
    • Improved: Added browser-style forward and back buttons for conversation selection.
    • Improved: Added Referenced Subjects to Sequencer Shortcuts component. Speeds up subject lookups.
    • Improved: Standard Dialogue UI added Wait For Main Panel To Open checkbox.
    • Improved: Added Use Portrait Native Size checkbox to Standard UI Subtitle Panel.
    • Improved: Ticked Wait For Close on bubble UI prefabs.
    • Improved: StandardUIInputField methods are now virtual.
    • Improved: UIPanel waitForShowAnimation property is now public.
    • Improved: Added LATEUPDATE_MESSAGES option. To send sequencer messages in LateUpdate(), define this symbol.
    • Improved: Adding Selector or Proximity Selector will show dialog window to add Selector Use Standard UI Elements component.
    • Fixed: Duplicating a conversation in the Dialogue Editor would not observe database's Base ID.
    • Fixed: Dialogue Editor window could report NullReferenceException in some cases when entering play mode.
    • Fixed: Input Device Manager inspector could report error with mixed input modes when an input definition was invalid.
    • Fixed: DialogueLua could potentially fail to register Lua functions in some configuration.
    • Fixed: StandardDialogueUI Wait For Close waits for main panels' close animation to finish before setting isOpen property false.
    • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect not properly handling mix of <br> tags and RPG Maker-style codes.
    • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect would not expand layout element to full size when skipping ahead.
    • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect fixed potential scroll issue with auto scroll.
    • Fixed: Extra Databases component no longer stops after one frame in some cases when Once and One Per Frame were ticked.
    • Fixed: DialogueManager.RemoveLuaObserver handles additional exception cases.
    • Fixed: Sequencer Shortcuts no longer reports unrecognized shortcut when using {{default}}.
    • Fixed: Potential NullReferenceException issue if Standard Dialogue UI's Main Panel was not assigned.
    • Fixed: SetDialoguePanel(true) will also restore focus state of subtitle panel that had focus when SetDialoguePanel(false) was used.
    • Save System: SaveSystemMethods methods are now virtual.
    • Save System: SpawnedObjectManager can now save unique saver data on spawned entities of the same type.
    • Save System: Added overrideable method SceneTransitionManager.OnLoading.
    Third Party Support:
    • Corgi: Added Conversation Zone > Land On Ground While Talking checkbox (ticked by default).
    • Emerald AI: Updated for 3.1.
    • i2 Localization: Text Table now imports any terms starting with "Dialogue System/TextTable/" even if field isn't yet defined in text table.
    • Ink: Added 'Force Response Menu For Single Choices' checkbox; updated integration to better handle silent choices in certain configurations.
    • Inventory Engine: Added mmResizeSlots() Lua function. Updated for 3.0.
    • Devion Item & Inventory System: Added support.
    • Opsive Ultimate Inventory System: If omitting inventory owner name, now checks all GameObjects tagged Player.
    • RT-Voice: Updated RT-Voice SALSA example to use box head model.
    • Yarn Spinner: Added import support.

Reminder: The Dialogue System for Unity, Love/Hate, and Quest Machine are on all 50% off in the Asset Store's New Year Sale.

If your cart totals $150+, use coupon code HELLO2022 for an extra 5% off everything.

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Suzerain Wins Best Story & Best Game at GDD Awards

Congratulations to Torpor Games! Suzerain, made with the Dialogue System for Unity, just won Best Story and Best Game at the German Dev Days Awards!

AGregori likes this.
  14. AGregori

AGregori

15. AGregori

AGregori

There's also this error when the Menu Framework and Visual Novel Framework are both installed:

Assets\Dialogue System Extras\Visual Novel Framework\Scripts\Menus\Menus.cs(15,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SaveGamePanel' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

16. DMRhodes

DMRhodes

So this might be kind of a wacky question and I know I'm shooting for the moon here. I'm kind of just hoping you can point me in the right direction please haha. You seem to be the expert in this domain.

I'm working on an application using Dialogue System. The problem is that I need to be able to copy-paste content from some kind of formatted document (.docx, .rtf, .pdf, google doc, etc etc) into unity, into an input field or something similar. The catch is that the copied content needs to retain its text formatting and most importantly any spreadsheet tables created, which unity doesn't natively seem to support. Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  17. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! The docs are still relevant. You can find a change log in the README.txt file. I've done my best to keep changes minimal and non-breaking, so there hasn't been much need to update the docs. However, I just now pushed up an updated package in which I removed the version number from the PDF docs (since the version number is in the README.txt), mentioned the handy "Save System Prefabs" package on the Extras page, and added a short FAQ section at the end.

Since they're both main menu-style framework packages, they're not compatible with each other. You can manually pull in some of the resources from the Visual Novel Framework, such as the gameplay panel, if you want to add it to a project that has the Menu Framework.

AGregori likes this.
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - Unless someone has made an asset or open source package that I'm not aware of, I don't think it's possible to paste arbitrary formatted data including spreadsheet tables into Unity fields. You may need to write custom import code for that.

DMRhodes likes this.
  19. TonyLi

TonyLi

Content Generation Tips

This post contains miscellaneous content generation tips.

Built-In Editor
    Reminder: Version 2.2.23 has some handy new features such as title filters and browser-style navigation buttons for conversations in the Dialogue Editor window and the ability to view and change variable values at runtime using the Variable Viewer window. You can also view and change values of variables, quests, and more in the Dialogue Editor's Watches window.

Yarn Spinner
    Yarn Spinner 2.0 just released today. We're hard at work updating the Dialogue System's Yarn Import for 2.0. If you're not yet ready to make the jump to Yarn Spinner 2.0 and want to let the new version settle in and receive bug fixes first, continue to use Yarn 1.x and the Dialogue System's current Yarn Import. Remember to import Yarn Spinner 1.x before enabling the integration. In the Package Manager window, expand the Yarn Spinner foldout and click See Other Versions:

upload_2021-12-20_8-53-38.png

Other Import Formats
    Reminder: The Dialogue System supports many other formats, including articy:draft, Chat Mapper, JLC (which Mografi developed while making Jenny LeClue), JSON, Twine, Ink, and others. However, most devs prefer to use the built-in editor since it's integrated nicely with Unity. You can drag GameObjects into scene events, drag audio files into Sequence fields for voiceover, etc.

Reminder - New Years Sale
    upload_2021-12-20_8-56-27.jpeg
    The Dialogue System for Unity, Love/Hate, and Quest Machine are on all 50% off in the Asset Store's New Year Sale.

20. Disastorm

Disastorm

I noticed this "works in vr". What does it look like in VR and how do you interact with it? Is there a video somewhere showing it?

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Disastorm - You can make it look however you want. That's just a matter of styling your dialogue UI, just like in non-VR projects. The main differences are showing the dialogue UI in world space (e.g., a plain old world space UI canvas) and interacting with response menus using VR input devices. The Dialogue System Extras page has three VR examples:
    • VR XR Interaction Toolkit Example: Uses Unity's VR Interaction Toolkit package to interact with UIs.
    • Steam VR Example: Uses Steam VR interaction.
    • Oculus Laser Pointer Example: Uses the Oculus integration package's laser pointer.
    Another Dialogue System user, Peter_Futurus, recently posted an example that he set up in VR. It's a conversion of the Dialogue System's regular demo scene into VR in which he put the dialogue UI on the player's wrist like a Pip-Boy in Fallout. The examples on the Extras page do it a little differently and put the dialogue UI in an area of the scene next to the NPC.

22. Disastorm

Disastorm

Cool thanks for the info

TonyLi likes this.
  23. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 50% Off

Happy holidays!

Get yourself a Christmas present: the Dialogue System for Unity is 50% off in the Asset Store's New Year Sale. Whether you want to make a short game during your winter break or you've made a New Year's resolution to finally make that dream game in 2022, now's a great time to get the Dialogue System for half price.

24. Edsirens

Edsirens

Hey Tony,
    I got your Dialouge System and want to use it for a VR project. And I've got it almost working, my issue at the moment is that I can interact with the "Talk" button over the NPC but after the first interaction I can't click on the Response Button. If I use the Mouse in Playmode instead of the Controller the Button is Highlighted but not clickable. And in VR with controllers it dont get highlighted and is not clickable. I don't know whats the problem could give me some advice please?

And I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
    upload_2021-12-26_2-47-39.png

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Merry Christmas! It's just regular Unity UI, so make sure your response menu is set up to allow Unity UI to detect your VR interaction. Some things to check:
    • Your scene has an EventSystem.
    • The response button(s)' Interactable checkboxes are ticked.
    • The Canvas containing your response menu has a Graphic Raycaster or equivalent depending on what interaction system you're using to interact with Unity UI.
    The Dialogue System Extras page has some example scenes using various VR interaction methods. See this post for info about them.

26. Edsirens

Edsirens

That was a fast Response :) EventSytem is there. The Buttons have all Interactable checked. The Canvases have Graphic Raycaster. At the Graphic Raycaster component I unchecked the Ignore Reversed Graphics. And now I can hover and click the buttons but onclick nothing happens. Do I have to assign something on the onclickevent on the response Button? On the Talk button I have set it to onUse to the Private Hart Dialoug but what should I add to the Response Button?

I saw the Demo Scenes and actually I copied everything from the Demo scene.

EDIT2: Started over from scratch and now its working!! Idk what I did different than before.

upload_2021-12-26_12-3-46.png

upload_2021-12-26_12-12-28.png

EDIT: I wanted to take a look at the Barebone example but that doesn't work either. I created a new Project and installed all packages from the readme in the xr interaction example. But there are missing Scripts and Prefabs.

upload_2021-12-26_13-29-13.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Edsirens - Awesome -- I'm glad you got it working. To answer your questions, in general you can leave response buttons' OnClick() events blank.
    If a response button's OnClick() has nothing in it, the Dialogue System will automatically connect it to the "player selected this response" code. However, if you do add something to OnClick(), you will need to manually call the button's StandardUIResponseButton.OnClick(response) method. This allows designers to "intercept" the response button click to do something else first, and then call OnClick(response) when they want to.

Those are prefabs directly from the XR Interaction Toolkit. If you don't see them in your version, you may need to locate the XR Interaction Toolkit in the Package Manager window and import the Samples:

upload_2021-12-26_8-47-57.png

28. Edsirens

Edsirens

Ah alright, good to know. Is Quest Machine useable with VR too? And I watched your Videos with The Messy Coder and I saw that the Emerald AI integration supports V2, will it support V3 also? If yes I will get Quest Machine too.

29. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Edsirens - Yes to both. Quest Machine supports Emerald AI v3, and it uses Unity UI so it's perfectly fine with VR.

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy New Year!

Dialogue System 50% off in New Year Sale!

Coupon code HELLO2022 expires at midnight PST. If your cart totals $150+, remember to check out with HELLO2022 today for an extra 5% off everything.

New Games Added To Showcase

We've added more games to the Games Showcase page, including:

upload_2021-12-31_11-33-8.png

Congratulations to all of the Dialogue System-powered games that won awards this year, including Disco Elysium, Suzerain, Lake, and more!

Everyone have a safe and happy New Year!

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

New Year Sale Ends Tomorrow - Dialogue System on Sale

The Dialogue System for Unity is 50% off in the New Year Sale!

The sale ends at midnight PST on January 11. Remember to check out your cart before the sale ends.

upload_2022-1-10_9-52-47.png
    upload_2022-1-10_9-52-33.png

Quest Machine and Love/Hate are also 50% off, and they all have integration with each other.

Dialogue System 2.2.24 Released

Version 2.2.24 is now live on the Asset Store.

Release Notes:

[Core]
    • Changed: Delay Typewriter Until Open checkbox waits until subtitle panel is also focused, not just open.
    • Changed: If Dialogue Manager is destroyed while paused (DialogueTime.isPaused is true), it will now unpause DialogueTime.
    • Added: CharacterInfo.GetAllRegisteredTransforms.
    • Improved: Standard Bark UI can now show alternate portrait images.
    • Improved: Synced database now locks data fields that came from source database, auto-syncs on open, and updates references in in Scripts/Conditions/[var]/etc.
    • Improved: UI panels that enforce button focus for key/joystick navigation now re-select previous selection after opening & closing other UIs.
    • Fixed: Dialogue Editor's Variables section didn't show heading.
    • Fixed: Asset Renamer tool now allows regex field to be blank.
    • Fixed: UILocalizationManager initialization issue could reset player's language setting on start.
    • Fixed: USE_YARN checkbox in Welcome Window.
    • Fixed: Adding Display Name fields but not setting their values could cause a warning display when using "..." Lua dropdowns.
    • Fixed: ConversationModel.GetCharacterInfo observes overridden actor name on Dialogue Actor component.
    • Fixed: Potential focus/unfocus animation timing issue on subtitle panels.
    • Fixed: Wrapped SubsystemRegistration methods in #if UNITY_EDITOR to prevent error message in builds in certain Unity versions.
    • Save System: Now handles case where saver's ApplyData removes other savers from scene while loading saved game.
    [Third Party Support]
    • Emerald AI: Updated [EmeraldAIFaction] attribute for Emerald AI 3.1 change.
    • RPG Kit: Updated for 3.x.
    • SLATE: Updated integration to support disabled domain reloading.
    • Twine: Fixed import of inline links with if: conditions.
    • TopDown Engine: PauseTopDownDuringConversations set to disable input but not pause will now no longer pause but will freeze player and show mouse cursor if applicable.
    • Twine: Import window no longer reports error if reopening window after deleting database that was assigned to window.
    • Yarn: Import window now properly handles Clear button.

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System - Updated Interaction & Triggers Tutorial

The Interaction Tutorial has been updated, with more tips and using new art assets. If you're new to the Dialogue System, this tutorial and others are available in the Dialogue System Tutorial Playlist.

Reminder: The New Year Sale ends tonight at midnight PST!
    The Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, and Love/Hate are all 50% off in the sale. If you have anything in your Asset Store cart, remember to check out before midnight PST.

33. maswa

maswa

Hey @TonyLi it's been a long time, first of all happy new year.
    I have sent you an email but I was wondering if we could talk through discord for an important thing about setting a new UI with this quest machine, if you can feel free to add me: Maswa#8161

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @maswa - Feel free to join the Pixel Crushers Discord Server. Note that the Discord server is primarily for discussion, not technical support. I'll also reply to your email.

35. TheRalpha

TheRalpha

I'm currently using the Letterbox Template Standard prefab but I realized that you can't have more than 3 user choices because there's only enough panels for three responses. I understand I need to use Scroll Rect to enable more options but I'm fairly new to Unity so I was wondering if anyone else had experience updating this prefab to accommodate more dialogue choices?

36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @TheRalpha - Here's a version that (1) expands the letterbox area as needed to accommodate longer text, and (2) supports an unlimited number of responses.

Attached Files:

37. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

Hey there! What's the best way to trigger animations like this?
    (timestamp 12:01). Basically I just want to change the emotion of the character(the pose). I wont generally need to change the position, only the pose of the character(by just replacing it with another sprite). It would be nice to have some fade-in/fade-out animation for this though.

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Stickeyd - Use Animated Portraits. (Alternatively, you could use the Dialogue System's Spine integration if you have access to Spine.)

The Dialogue System Extras page has an Animated Change Pose Example (direct download).

The character starts in this pose:

upload_2022-1-14_9-43-43.png

and cross-fades to this pose:

upload_2022-1-14_9-44-32.png

In this example, Subtitle Panel 0's portrait image is actually two images. The portrait animation fades out one image while fading in the other.

Note: The Dialogue Manager's Canvas has a Canvas Scaler set to scale to screen size 960 x 600.

39. TheRalpha

TheRalpha

Just what I needed, thank you!

TonyLi likes this.
  40. mick129

mick129

Hello, thanks for that great asset, I'm currently integrating it with RPG Builder but I get stuck on something.
    I'm new with your tool and it is probably very simple but how can I change a bool variable created in your tool?

upload_2022-1-16_20-7-4.png

I'm using "using PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem;" and I have a feeling that I am close with DialogueManager.instance.initialDatabase.variables but no matter what I try after, I fail :)
    Any insight?

Edit: oh just to be sure, I try to do it in c#

Thank you!

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - Use DialogueLua.SetVariable().

At runtime, the Dialogue System loads the variable definitions in your dialogue database into variables in its Lua environment. At that point, treat the variable definitions in the dialogue database as read-only. In the editor's play mode, you can view and change the runtime Lua values in the Dialogue Editor's Watches section or the separate Variable Viewer window.

To change the variable values in code, use DialogueLua.SetVariable(), such as:
    Code (lua):
    1. DialogueLua.SetVariable("200Gold", true);

mick129 likes this.
  42. mick129

mick129

Thank you and glad I asked, I was far from the right answer :p
    I have avoided the Lua part of the documentation thinking it wasn't for me, now I understand.

Cheers!

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help! Just a side note: The Dialogue System runs a Lua environment under the hood, but this does not mean you have to write any Lua code. (You have the option to do so if you want, however.) To access DS variables in C# code, just use the DialogueLua C# methods. To check and set DS variables and other data (quests, etc.) in dialogue entry nodes' Conditions and Script fields, use the "..." button and select what you want from the dropdowns; no typing necessary.

mick129 likes this.
  44. mick129

mick129

Thank you for the added details.
    It is just some habit and a little thinking to learn and I'm not worried I will be able to learn it fast.

TonyLi likes this.
  45. wechat_os_Qy0z_aF7Nfhquhava38GLxUWU

wechat_os_Qy0z_aF7Nfhquhava38GLxUWU

Hello,
    I had a little simple questions about dialogue canvas;
    The 2D Corgi Engine NPC scale transform is (x=1,y=1,z=1) face right to the Player.When NPC face left the transform sacle is (x= -1,y=1,z=1).So the ConversationZone and all the dialogue and canvas fliped like this; QQ截图20220122224733.jpg
    Is there had a way to make dialogue canvas not follow the NPC scale changes?

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Add a MatchCharacterDirection component to the NPC's CorgiStandardDialogueControls child GameObject.

47. Jakuri_F

Jakuri_F

Hi Tony,
    I found Subtitle Chars Per Second value does not working in my project, whatever the value is, the subtitle(typewritter) speed is always the same.
    I've set both Dialogue Syetem Controller->Subtitle Settings->Subtitle Chars Per Second and Unity UI Typewritter Effect->Subtitle Chars Per Second.
    While debugging I found the m_sequencer.subtitleEndTime value is correct.
    I can't find the reason now. Please help, thank you!

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Jakuri_F - Subtitle Chars Per Second is different from the typewriter speed.

To change the typewriter speed, set the typewriter effect component's Characters Per Second:

upload_2022-1-23_7-49-6.png

The Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Chars Per Second and Min Subtitle Seconds control the value of the special sequencer keyword {{end}}, which you can use in sequencer commands:

upload_2022-1-23_7-51-37.png

For example, if the dialogue text is 120 characters long and Subtitle Chars Per Second is 30, then {{end}} will be 4 seconds. (120 / 30 = 4)

This allows the subtitle to stay onscreen for a longer duration than when the typewriter finishes. If you want to advance the conversation as soon as the typewriter ends, set Subtitle Chars Per Second to the same value as the typewriter effects' Characters Per Second, and set Min Subtitle Seconds to a low value such as 0.5. Also, some designers don't use typewriter effects at all in their dialogue UIs. The {{end}} keyword allows them to control the amount of time the subtitle is visible in this case, too.

49. Stickeyd

Stickeyd

So I did all of the instructions in the Animated Portraits link, and for some reason when I rename the Subtitle Panel's portrait image from "Portrait Image" to "Portrait Image1"(I need to do this to play the animation in this particular panel in the dialogue entry sequence) it automatically starts to run my animation of changing the color alpha that I prepared.... but also making the image red. And if I rename it back from "Portrait Image1" to "Portrait Image" there is no default animation running(even though I'm not doing anything in sequences yet. It's just a default animation running. Not sure what is happening

https://gyazo.com/64158fd9d2a539e88dd43dfa9b16b11c

Even though my actual animation does nothing to change the color:

https://gyazo.com/f2e1032b2972b6984f414eb852d0b197

Everything is set up in the dialogue actor too:

https://gyazo.com/9351b2710dd875548526417689e052ff

When I change portrait name back to "Portrait Image" then nothing happens(no longer red color and default animation for animator ) as you can see

https://gyazo.com/6393e55ed582c3ecf319f8a438b1504d

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  50. wechat_os_Qy0z_aF7Nfhquhava38GLxUWU

wechat_os_Qy0z_aF7Nfhquhava38GLxUWU

Thanks for the help.
    After read the manual about More Mountains Inventory Engine support and other manuals:

1.Which place should i put Dialogue System Inventory Event Listener and Inventory Engine Saver components in?
    When i add each one of them,an inventory(script) component automatic appearanced(at Dialogue Manager)
    But I already added this inventory(script)component at other place.After add Dialogue System Inventory Event Listener and Inventory Engine Saver i run the game Unity tell me“ MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Inventory' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.”

2.If i use Pixel Crushers save system to save all the data.How to set up the components in Corgi & Inventroy Engine?

Sorry about the noob questions and my not good English level to ask.I might have a lot of questions like this.Hope im not bother you.