Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System v1.2.1 is now available on the customer download site and should be on the Asset Store in 5-7 days! If you need access to the customer download site, please PM me your invoice number.

The big features introduced in this version are the Mecanim-style, node-based conversation editor and Adventure Creator integration.

On the roadmap for 1.2.2: RPG Kit 2.0 integration!

Version 1.2.1
    Editors Converters
    • New: Visual node-based conversation editor.
    • Improved: Can reorder dialogue entry links.
    • Improved: Tooltips added to the Dialogue Editor.
    • Improved: Double-clicking a dialogue database opens the Dialogue Editor.
    • Changed: When merging databases, if Actors, Items, or Locations exist in both, only the original will be kept.
    • Fixed: Bug that prevented adding fields to the dialogue database template.
    • (Chat Mapper) Can now convert Chat Mapper data at runtime; fixed bug converting some Chat Mapper projects with text containing pipes (|).
    • (articy:draft) Fixed an issue with jump targets in the articy:draft converter.
    • (Aurora NWN) Can now process all dlg.xml files to add missing actor tags.
    Engine
    • New: Added a delegate hook to support extra checking on dialogue entries.
    • Improved: Added DialogueDatabase.GetItem(string), GetLocation(string).
    • Changed: At end of conversations, Lua observers update before Alert variable is checked and cleared. (Important if you're observing
    • Variable["Alert"].)
    UIs
    • New: Optional Continue (Close) button for Alerts
    • Unity GUI updates:
      - Improved: Auto-Size grows in the direction specified by Alignment instead of growing equally in all directions.
      - Fixed: Panels are now positioned correctly when Clip Children is unticked.
      - Fixed: Rich text codes use lowercase hex characters, since Unity GUI doesn't handle uppercase characters well.
      - Fixed: Slide Timer effects and gameplay alerts weren't timing properly with DialogueTime.Mode set to Realtime when Time.timeScale changed.
    Third-Party Support
    • (Adventure Creator) New: Gameplay Integration with Adventure Creator
    • (plyGame) Added support for new interact system; updated to accommodate changes in latest beta.

2. ChunkoGames

ChunkoGames

Has there been anything done to deal with the issue I'm encountering?

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Nothing indicates that anything needs to be done to the Dialogue System itself.

I'm sorry this is giving you trouble. I want to help you resolve your issue. I need something to work with -- an editor log, an example project, a unitypackage that I can import and check, anything. I sent you a PM with your support ticket tracking information and a request for the editor log.

You can also try this: On the Dialogue Manager object, set Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Continue Button to Never. If you've set this to a different value but you haven't added a continue button to your UI, it will appear to hang while waiting for the player to click the (nonexistent) continue button.

4. jpnavarrofennell

jpnavarrofennell

Hi Tony!

Excellent asset, very happy with it.

I'm creating a 2D game with NGUI and works just fine, but when the dialog starts, the dialog system activates the default sequence for the main camera, but the NGUI camera works fine. How can I stop any camera angle to be applied in the Main Camera? How do you solved in the 2D Platformer Demo?

Best Regards,

Navarro.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Navarro, on the Dialogue Manager object, change Display Settings > Camera Settings > Default Sequence to:

Delay({{end}})

The initial value of Default Sequence tries to do 3D closeups of the actors. By setting it to Delay({{end}}), it will just wait without touching the camera. If you also don't want to wait, set it to None(). More details are in the FAQ entry.

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity now has an integration package for Cinopt Studios' 2D Action RPG Starter Kit. The unitypackage will be in version 1.2.2 (along with RPG Kit 2.0 support), and it'll be available as a separate download later today. This is a neat little kit. It's simple but fun, and it works perfectly right out of the box.

7. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Do you know what e-mail we can PM you at to get the most up to date Dialogue System? Currently, I have v1.2.0, and it seems the asset store is still missing v1.2.1.

[EDIT]
    I sent you a PM through the Unity Forums.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Ben, I replied back. You can PM TonyLi or email tony (at) pixelcrushers (dot) com.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity version 1.2.1 is now available on the Asset Store. If you've been waiting to download it straight from Unity, you can do it now!

Version 1.2.2 is a little behind schedule, but it will include RPG Kit 2.0 support and 2D Action RPG Starter Kit support.

10. ChunkoGames

ChunkoGames

Hi, I'm currently encountering a crash bug and need to fix it asap. After moving to a new scene, the game crashes with the following error.

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'UnityDialogueUI' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.

I am not deleting the dialog UI anywhere. What do I need to do to fix this?

EDIT: Additionally the level works fine if I load it by itself, however if I load the first level, beat the first level, and then load the second level it crashes.

ISSUE RESOLVED: I fixed this by making the dialogue manager a child of the UI.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi ChunkoGames, sorry about the obscurity of that error message. The error occurs because the Dialogue Manager has a reference to the UI. If the UI is not marked Don't Destroy On Load, then Unity will destroy it when loading a new level. It should also work if you make the UI a child of the Dialogue Manager, as long as Don't Destroy On Load is ticked on the Dialogue Manager, or otherwise mark the UI as Don't Destroy On Load. Note that if you assign a prefab UI (versus a scene object) to the Dialogue Manager, the Dialogue Manager will instantiate it as a child, which means it'll stick around across level loads. In the next release, the error message will be clearer, and it will also fall back to the default UI instead of erroring out.

12. LNMRae

LNMRae

Hello, great project! I love that you're adding more integration into other kits. I was wondering if there are any plans to have it work with the ORK Framework?

Again, really love the system, looking forward to using it.

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi LNMRae, I'm glad you're enjoying the Dialogue System! If there's sufficient interest in ORK integration, I'll be happy to add it to the roadmap. It can already play nicely with ORK using the general-purpose integration components (SetEnabledOnDialogueEvent, etc.). But a dedicated integration package for ORK would allow it to synchronize ORK data with Dialogue System data if that would be of use to anyone.

14. TonyLi

TonyLi

An update is available for version 1.2.1 on the customer download site. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

The update includes:
    • Fixed: When adding new dialogue entry nodes, the actor popup in the inspector wasn’t updating correctly in all cases
    • Fixed: QuestLog.GetQuestDescription() now works properly with localized descriptions
    • New: DialogueManger.AllowLuaExceptions property
    • Improved: Aurora converter now records quest entry ID numbers
    • Updated: KGFMapSystem example scene updated with minor visual improvements
    • New/Updated: 2D Action RPG Starter Kit Support, updated with a more complete main menu and saving/loading

15. LNMRae

LNMRae

Definitely add my vote then for ORK Framework integration. But it's good to know that it plays well right out of the box with it too. I'll definitely be using them together. Thank you for the response!

16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Okay, it's added to the roadmap. It won't be in the next release (coming out soon with RPG Kit 2.0 support and Behavior Designer support), but hopefully the release after that.

17. m-kan

m-kan

I was looking to purchase the Dialogue System to work with Adventure Creator. I went looking through this thread because it was mentioned that you wanted to make a means to import Twine documents. I was wondering about whether it was still in the works or it wasn't really possible with formatting issues.

Thanks!

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi m.kan, it's still in the works. There will be some limit on what you can do solely in Twine because it doesn't have all the features that the Dialogue System offers. But the standard stuff will be supported -- you can write full branching conversation trees and bark trees in Twine, and they'll import into the Dialogue System just fine.

19. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi, I am very new to this, so please excuse any stupid and maybe for others obvious questions I have.
    First up, these are the main things I use and my aim is to get everything working together as I see great potential in rapid game dev. with these products. Of course I have hundreds of other assets and tools but below is listed what all needs to work out of the box.
    Playmaker, Adventure Creator, Behavior Designer, Dialouge System and Motion Controller.

1. When are Tutorial videos coming for PM, AC and BD?
    2. Do I have to buy chat mapper and learn the scripting language or can I get around scripting by using PlayMaker?
    Thanks all the best
    Chris.

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Chris, tutorial videos are on the roadmap for PlayMaker, Adventure Creator, and Behavior Designer, but support packages for RPG Kit and ORK are in line ahead of them. The author of Behavior Designer may beat me to the punch with a video tutorial, so keep an eye on his thread, too.

Written documentation for the integration packages for these products are in the online manual, and examples scenes are included with each package. If you have any questions about using them, you're always welcome to post here or PM or email me at tony (at) pixelcrushers (dot) com.

Do you not have to buy Chat Mapper or learn Lua. Chat Mapper is a great product for writing and testing branching dialogue, so I definitely wanted to support it. But you can do everything in the built-in Dialogue Editor.

Lua is optional, but learning just two Lua commands is enough to make your conversations very powerful. Here are examples of these two commands:

1. The Lua statement below allows you to only use a dialogue entry if the player has at least 50 gold. It would go in the dialogue entry's Conditions field.
    Code (csharp):
    2. Variable["Gold"] > 50
    2. The Lua statement below sets the player's gold to 100. It would go in the dialogue entry's Script field.
    Code (csharp):
    2. Variable["Gold"] = 100
    Using just these two types of Lua commands, you can do pretty much anything you want in conversations.

21. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks Tony, that was a big help and it makes sense to use some Lua. I look forward to your videos in the future.

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

Patch 2014-04-27 is available on the customer download site. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

In the patch:
    • [04-27] New: Added PersistentDataManager.includeAllItemData (defaults to false)
    • [04-27] Changed: Default value of PersistentDataManager.includeSimStatus is now false
    • [04-27] New: UFPS AI-Addon support package
    • [04]27] Fixed: UFPS integration correctly applies saved data when loading a saved game even when UFPS resets it at load time
    • [04-26] Improved: Proximity Selector now supports touch controls
    • [04-26] Improved: Added Cache Bark Lines checkbox on bark triggers for mobile optimization
    • [04-26] Improved: Subtitle objects passed to IDialogueUI.ShowSubtitle() now include the source dialogue entry
    • [04-25] Fixed: When adding new dialogue entry nodes, the actor popup in the inspector wasn’t updating correctly in all cases
    • [04-25] Updated: KGFMapSystem example scene updated with minor visual improvements
    • [04-25] New/Updated: 2D Action RPG Starter Kit Support, updated with a more complete main menu and saving/loading
    • [04-25] New: DialogueManager.AllowLuaExceptions property
    • [04-25] Improved: Aurora converter now records quest entry ID numbers
    • [04-25] Fixed: QuestLog.GetQuestDescription() now works properly with localized descriptions
    The next full release (arriving the next few days) will include RPG Kit 2.0 support and Behavior Designer support!

23. ikelaiah

ikelaiah

Purchased on 02 April 2014. It seems good for many purposes, but there two features that I am looking for, but I've been unable to find it. 1. How do I step back in a dialogue? 2. How to leave the last dialogue on the screen?

I'm using it for an in-simulation tutorial system, where users need to go back to read previous instructions in case they forget what need to be done. Furthermore, last instruction should remain on the screen, not disappear as common dialogue. Is this possible?

24. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi ikelaiah, for #1, can you add another response (e.g., "Go Back") that links back to the previous dialogue entry? If that doesn't work for you, you can listen for OnConversationLine() messages in a script, similar to the ConversationLogger script, and call IDialogueUI.ShowSubtitle() manually to "replay" an old line. This gets a little hairy because you'd also have to dig deeper to the ConversationModel to update it. It's probably easier to just add "Go Back" links.

For #2, here are some options:
    • Create a subclass of your dialogue UI class (e.g., "public class MyDialogueUI : UnityDialogueUI {...}") and override the Close() method to leave the UI up.
    • Listen for OnConversationLine() messages and keep track of the last line. Also listen for OnConversationEnd() messages. When the conversation ends, display the last line in an independent UI (instead of keeping the dialogue UI open).
    • Copy the ConversationLogger script and put all the lines in a scrolling window instead of logging them to the console. Then the user can scroll back as far as desired for reminders.

25. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great new on RPG Kit 2.0. Please check with him he has added the NGUI Pro support within the last day or so.

26. TonyLi

TonyLi

Oh thank goodness! I dropped active support development for the old NGUI 2 a while ago, and it's been a pain updating everything to get it working with that old version of NGUI. I'll update my copy and get everything working nicely with the new version. Thanks for letting me know!

27. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Contact Zerano I would say to make sure.

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Will do!

29. TonyLi

TonyLi

Check out Ripper Games' Skulldive, a neat game in alpha:

Skulldive, by Ripper Games
    $skulldive1.jpg

Skilldive is a mixture of a classic RPG and a roguelike with adventure game and platformer aspects. The player takes the role of Leo, the hero who shows us our adventure. The story begins with Leo waking up locked inside a strange crypt. He only remembers that he passed out a very long time ago but, suddenly, a strange and powerful force summoned him back to life! Your role as a player is to help Leo bring back all of his memories while you explore a very very huge dungeon, restoring its equilibrium in the process.

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

plyGame users: plyGame 2.1.1 beta was just released with changes to the LoadSave System, Factions, and more. Features are frozen for the next release of the Dialogue System (v1.2.2) coming out tomorrow. Updates to the plyGame integration support package will be in the following release (v1.2.3).

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity version 1.2.2 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is available for immediate download on the Pixel Crushers customer site. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

The highlights of this release are:
    • Behavior Designer integration -- Add advanced AI to your projects and tie it into the Dialogue System!
    • RPG Kit 2.0 integration -- Add conversations and barks to this sophisticated multi-player and single-player RPG framework
    • 2D Action RPG Starter Kit integration -- Add conversations, barks, quests, and more to this mobile-friendly 2D RPG framework

[HR][/HR]

Version 1.2.2:
    Editors Converters
    • Improved: Can now add additional actor portraits in the Dialogue Editor.
    • Fixed: When adding new dialogue entry nodes, inspector popup for actors wasn't updating.
    • Improved: Aurora converter now records quest entry IDs.
    Engine
    • New: Dialogue markup tags [pic=#], [pica=#], and [picc=#] are now supported. See Supported Dialogue Markup Tags.
    • Improved: You can now change DialogueManager.DebugLevel on the fly; takes effect in the next conversation.
    • Improved: Source dialogue entry is now included in Subtitle object.
    • Improved: Cache Barked Lines checkbox on bark triggers for mobile optimization. See About Caching Bark Lines.
    • Improved: Added DialogueManager.AllowLuaExceptions to allow Lua exceptions to filter up beyond conversations.
    • Improved: PersistentDataManager.includeAllItemData checkbox.
    • Changed: Default value of PersistentDataManager.includeSimStatus is now false.
    • Fixed: QuestLog.GetQuestDescription() failed on localized descriptions
    UIs Cutscenes
    • Changed: If audio source of Audio*() sequencer commands has volume 0, sets it to volume 1.
    • New: Zoom2D() sequencer command for orthographic 2D cameras.
    • Improved: Proximity Selector now supports touch controls.
    Third-Party Support
    • (Behavior Designer) New: Integration support introduced in this version.
    • (RPG Kit 2.0) New: Integration support introduced in this version.
    • (2D Action RPG Starter Kit) Integration support introduced in this version.
    • (NGUI) New: Checkbox Deactivate UIRoot When Hidden (default is true). Set false if you use the same UIRoot for other GUIs.
    • (UFPS) New: UFPS AI-Addon support package.
    • (UFPS) Improved: Loading game applies saved data correctly now even when UFPS resets it at load time.
    • (KGFMapSystem) Improved: Added to example scene: Trackable quests; moved quest tracker to upper left; hides KGFMapSystem during conversations.

Also check out Purgatory Entertainment's new Game Logger tool. Purgatory Entertainment is also developing a first-person shooter using the Dialogue System with UFPS. Integration support for Game Logger will be in the next release of the Dialogue System!

33. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Can you please make a video soon for the RPG Kit 2.0.

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

Will do! Videos for RPG Kit, node-based conversation editing, and more will be coming out this weekend.

35. Licarell

Licarell

Please don't forget Adventure Creator... with the adding of inventory items etc...

36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Licarell, the next release will include updates to the support packages for Adventure Creator and plyGame to allow you to take advantage of new features as their developers add them.

I'll also try to get the Adventure Creator integration video tutorial posted this weekend, too!

37. TonyLi

TonyLi

[video=youtube_share;MzLdZX4_L1M]http://youtu.be/MzLdZX4_L1M

38. Licarell

Licarell

Awesome... I wanted to see how exactly this integrates with AC because this really always has been the weakest link to AC.

I'm going to be purchasing this for sure...

Another customer,

Lic

39. TonyLi

TonyLi

[video=youtube_share;zEOr7UGKCd0]http://youtu.be/zEOr7UGKCd0

This tutorial covers the specifics of using the Dialogue System with Adventure Creator. To avoid duplicating material, it doesn't discuss how to set up the Dialogue Manager object, how to use the Dialogue Editor window, and other general Dialogue System topics. Those topics are covered in the other video tutorials and online manual.

Note: After recording the video, I realized I didn't include an example of adding the "Dialogue System conversation" action. It's so easy that I overlooked it. Just choose the action from Adventure Creator's drop-down, assign the participants (if you leave Actor blank, it defaults to the player), and enter the name of the conversation. That's it!

$ACConvAction.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  40. TonyLi

TonyLi

An update for the RPG Kit 2.0 support package is available on the customer download site. It contains:
    • New: ShopConversationAware (version of Shop that plays well with the Dialogue System).
    • New: RPGKitOpenShop([subject]), RPGKitOpenQuest([subject]) sequencer commands.
    • Improved: Added amount parameter to RPGKitAddItem(itemName, [amount]) and RPGKitRemoveItem(itemName, [amount]).
    • Improved: Added Actor["Player"].Class; made Actor["Player"].Level read/write.
    • Fixed: NGUI2 barks that are behind the player are now hidden.
    And an integration demo is also online:
    $rpgkitdemo.jpg

41. willrsnds

willrsnds

I was wondering if support for uScript was something planned for?

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi willrsnds, I'll look into it. Is there interest in uScript support?

43. Morphius68

Morphius68

Hi,

Bought the new version of this today with the new RPG Kit support but have the barks appearing behind the player. I see you have a patch but how do I get into the download site?

Cheers

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Morphius68, I just PM'ed your access information to you. If anyone else needs access, please PM me your invoice number.

This issue is only present in the RPG Kit support package in v1.2.2, and only for NGUI 2 users. The patch fixes it. If you're using NGUI 3, DF-GUI, or TK2D, or your own GUI system, there's no issue.

45. Morphius68

Morphius68

Hi - Thanks for the amazingly quick response!!! Done the patch and that fixes that issue and very impressed with the asset, but another question - sorry!

Barks - Display even when the NPC is hidden from player view - ie behind a wall - is that correct?

46. willrsnds

willrsnds

Well Im testing both uScript and Playmaker (I own both). Was just seeing what software packages will be supported. This will help determine my pipeline going forward.

47. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Morphius68, yes, that's correct. You can use the Range Trigger component to turn off barks outside a certain range, or you could write your own implementation of IBarkUI that handles walls -- perhaps running a raycast from the NPC to the player. If the raycast hits a wall, hide the bark. The nice thing about the UI subsystem is that it's modular; you can swap out any implementation of IBarkUI or IDialogueUI and the rest of the Dialogue System will work fine with it.

Hi willrsnds, I'll add uScript to the roadmap, so eventually you'll have your choice working with the Dialogue System.

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Patch 2014-05-06 is available on the customer download site. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

The patch adds these enhancements to the Dialogue Editor:
    • Multiselect and drag multiple nodes
    • Duplicate dialogue entries
    • Copy paste dialogue entry fields
    • Import export templates
    • Clicking on stacked nodes selects the top one now, not the bottom one.
    It also contains the updated support package for RPG Kit 2.0 integration that was released on 2014-05-04:
    • New: ShopConversationAware (version of Shop that plays well with the Dialogue System).
    • New: RPGKitOpenShop([subject]), RPGKitOpenQuest([subject]) sequencer commands.
    • Improved: Added amount parameter to RPGKitAddItem(itemName, [amount]) and RPGKitRemoveItem(itemName, [amount]).
    • Improved: Added Actor["Player"].Class; made Actor["Player"].Level read/write.
    • Fixed: NGUI2 barks that are behind the player are now hidden.

49. willrsnds

willrsnds

Hi willrsnds, I'll add uScript to the roadmap, so eventually you'll have your choice working with the Dialogue System.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks!

50. Magicolo

Magicolo

Hi,

Is there a way to dynamically change GUI objects variables such as color, size, position, etc. (ex: a line of text gets redder or bigger/smaller as it is being written)? I'd like to have at least control over position.

Maybe there's an easy way to do it, but I can't seem to find it...

Thx.