Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] DestroyIt - Cinematic Destruction System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DeadlyAccurate, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Bitcore

Bitcore

1) NWH Vehicle Physics 2
    2) Realistic style, something similar to SPINTIRES .
    3) Yes, that's correct. Vehicle controller script seems to be overwriting some of the rigidbody's variables, as it's simulating other physical properties of the car, like center of mass and inertia tensor. Annotation 2020-10-22 174901.png
    So far I'm using the four given vehicle prefabs: Niva, MosterTruck, SportsCar, RocketRarrier.

Thank you for looking in to it!

2. zangad

zangad

Hey @Bitcore,

Thanks for the info and screenshots. Unfortunately, the developer of NWH Vehicle Physics 2 is unable to provide us with a voucher so we can setup an integration test, so we'll need you to send us your project so we can take a look at it and troubleshoot the issue.

If possible, please email us a link to your zipped-up project (and provide the Unity version you're using) to modelsharkstudio@gmail.com. Dropbox, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive all work well for hosting. You can also export your project as a *.unityproject file and we'll import it into a new project on our end.

3. OmnifariousStudios

OmnifariousStudios

Hi again!

Working on a multiplayer VR game, and wondering if you guys had any advice for using Normcore with your system?

Thanks, and great asset as always.

4. zangad

zangad

Hi @CoryRobertson,

We haven't used Normcore with DestroyIt. It looks pretty neat, though, especially the physics synchronization. As far as potential issues with DestroyIt, I would pay close attention to how it handles/syncs objects and particle effects that are spawned in. For instance, in Photon, when an object is created, you need to attach a PhotonView component to it so the system knows to sync changes to the object (position, rotation, material changes, etc) across the network. As long as Normcore has some way to "tag" objects as network observable, that should work fine.

Also, I'd probably go light on persistent debris until I knew how much the network could handle reliably. Many pieces of persistent debris being synced across the network could make it very chatty and bog the game down. So I'd use less-expensive particle effects for all non-essential destruction in a multiplayer network game.

5. OmnifariousStudios

OmnifariousStudios

Thanks for the info! Normcore is actually great about that. You can just add View and Transform components to a prefab and then call their version of Instantiate and you're done.

I'll keep an eye on how many debris objects I'm allowing too, that's a good point.

If you ever get the time, you should dive into the normcore docs, I think it would work great with your asset.

Cheers

6. lanrosta

lanrosta

Does the destructible terrain trees work on Unity 2019 or Unity 2020? I am not having any success getting the Terrain Trees to be destroyed in these versions. I have not tested Unity 2018 yet as I do not use that version.. I have followed the Terrain Trees tutorial PDF to a T, but am not having any luck with them falling over when hit. When I drag the _PRIST prefab to the scene hierarchy, the tree is destructible, but the Terrain painted trees using the same prefab are not, I have run the 'Update Trees', but still no luck. Can you please help identify why I may be having this issue?

7. zangad

zangad

Hi @lanrosta,

The destructible terrain trees should work fine with Unity 2019 and 2020. Are you using trees that you made with the Unity tree creator, or SpeedTree trees, or from the asset store? If they are not falling over, my first thought is to check if the destroyed versions have rigidbodies on them, and if so make sure isKinematic is unchecked on the rigidbody. Then, put your destroyed tree in the scene by itself, run the scene, and see if it falls over. If it does, then you know it's not a problem with the destroyed tree.

The other reason I can think off off-hand is that maybe the trees aren't actually switching over to the destroyed version for some reason. When you destroy a tree while the scene is running, switch over to the scene tab and find the tree and see if it switched over to destroyed prefab correctly. If you don't see the destroyed version of your tree in the scene, then it might not be doing the switch properly. In that case, I would check the terrain trees in the scene while the game is running to make sure they have the Destructible script on them and have colliders.

Hope that helps! And if you're still stuck after trying these troubleshooting steps, you can always zip up and send us your project (as a link uploaded to DropBox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive) and we'll download it and take a look!

8. lanrosta

lanrosta

Ok, I looked in your demo and saw the Terrain Tree 'Palm tree' example in there working in 2019 and 2020. It appears my issue was that I am using GPU Instancer for Terrain Details and Terrain Trees, and this seems to make the DestroyIt Terrain Tree stuff not work. However, I was able to use GPU Instancer's Prefab Manager (along with a Prefab Painting tool) to get excellent results with thousands of destroyable trees and still above 125fps. Would be great if you could work with the GPU Instancer devs to get integration there with Terrain Trees, but I still get good results with non-terrain GPU instanced prefab trees. I'll ask them about it as well. With faster video cards becoming more common in desktops, I think the GPU is a better place to handle the load for lots of terrain details and trees.

9. zangad

zangad

Hi @lanrosta,

I'm glad you found a workaround for the destructible terrain trees. I haven't looked at the GPU Instancer yet, but I did put it on our DestroyIt roadmap for research. The framerates you're getting with GPU Instancer definitely sounds promising! And I agree, the more we can offload to the GPU, the better in terms of performance. I think it would make a nice option for desktop/PC developers.

Thank you for suggesting the feature! :)

julianr likes this.
unityunity