Search Unity

[RELEASED] Deckard Render - Cinematographic Renderer for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by olix4242, Feb 5, 2019.

1. karonte

karonte

Thanks for the answer. Our client asks a video to put on a big show screen ok 6k resolution. We are trying to convince him to scale down to 4k( 4096x4096)...hope he will accept! and we are looking for a good unity recorder to save images+ passes ( so we can compose then in AE if needed). It's a strange request but we would like to try to do this job inside unity instead to render from 3dsmax... Grazie!

2. Janoooba

Janoooba

Quick question, as I don't see this mentioned anywhere. Does Deckard capture audio while rendering as well?

3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

No. Deckard does not render in realtime.

olix4242 likes this.
  4. olix4242

olix4242

Clients, unfortunately many times don't know technical reasons for some choices and there is also a marketing question on how much resolution do we need. There are many projection screens that run on certain high resolution (mostly when used with multiple projectors). But mostly, we don't need that resolution and simple upscaling works great.There are only few cases when you would need that resolution (like small text projected in a window - like power point in PIP).
    Today, 90% of movies are projected in cinema at only 2k. Sometimes at 4k, but only in selected theatres. Some content is made on 4k or 8k cameras. But for example, many of 4k content is actually shoot on 2k cameras and then upscaled to 4k for BluRay or streaming (Roger Deakins, Oscar winner cinematographer for Blade Runner mostly uses Arri Alexa Mini with a resolution of 2k.. and eventually films at max 3.6k) .

Few interesting facts:
    -even professional 4k digital cameras capture only a third of a resolution per color channel. This mans that only black and whites will have full resolution, while reds, blues or greens will have 1/3th of resolution that is then upscaled to 4k.

-You need more resolution with real cameras (and some renderers) because of noise. Bigger the resolution, smaller the noise. Deckard uses rendering tech that outputs noiseless image. It even smooths out any existing noise that was added with post processing stack. But having completely noisless output isn't always desired, so it has it's own noise injection system for adding some noise.

-Aliasing can be a big problem with upscaling. Some cameras and most renderers use digital sharpening on output. This is ok if you are working at final resolution. But sharpened image doesn't upscale well. Deckard can output image that doesn't have any sharpening added (in a same manner how an analog film would behave). This image can be easily upscaled. Also, Deckard has a superior antialiasing tech behind, that removes mostly any aliasing issues. Some people might define it too soft, as it adds some softness to an image, but this is a real analog behaviour of lenses and physical film. As with sharpening, also, aliased image scales badly.
    TIP: render lower resolution image with Deckard, then upscale and add some sharpening in final editing process and final resolution.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  5. olix4242

olix4242

I have some code that I've made for my VR Panorama plugin. If there is enough request, I can integrate that code also in Deckard.
    Problem with capturing audio in Unity is that unity audio engine doesn't use sample accurate audio. So you might find some slight shifts between audio events and problems in sync.

6. Janoooba

Janoooba

Ok. I'm doing some recorded videos with lip syncing, and this is why I ask. The Unity Recorder package does capture audio. It also does not capture in real time either, so this is why I thought this may have been possible. No big deal either way, it's not hard to re-add the audio in post.

7. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Does this asset work with Unitys realtime lightning??

8. olix4242

olix4242

Of course. It works with it and enhances it's quality.

9. mattis89

mattis89

Cool! I probably missred something then any tutorial videos on how to use it with cinem and timel?

10. aleiko

aleiko

Hi,

I managed to get everything to work, except for one small issue when animating skinned meshes. Adding a child game object to the hierarchy, e.g. eyes parented to the head bone or a sword parented to the hand, seems to cause a slight timing offset that is visible only in Deckard Render. This leads the child game object to visibly move out of sync with the skinned mesh during fast movement. Parent constraints are similarly affected.

I could just rig my attachments to the model instead, but it would be nice to solve this issue.

11. olix4242

olix4242

Unfortunately, this is a bug in Unity, so it can't be solved entirely by Deckard. You have to play with bone roots and find a solution that works best. Skinned meshes in Unity are updated pretty inconsistently because of this bug. They should all have common root bone to behave correctly. You can find more about that in a manual provided with Deckard.
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to help without having full insight in how your character is rigged.

12. aleiko

aleiko

All right, I managed to fix it by rigging everything to the skeleton instead of adding attachments at runtime. Have you reported the bug, and if so, could you give the issue tracker link so we could upvote the issue?

13. mattis89

mattis89

quick question before buy.. In my trailer Im using stuff that only works in play mode... Can Deckard be used in play mode to export video?

14. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! @olix4242 How do I use this with cinemachine? And how do I move the image effects components inbetween the deckard components?

15. amoka

amoka

Yes, actually Deckard works only in play mode. It plays the scene with scaled down time so that the relatively long render times (1-2 seconds) still maintain normal play time in the end for the video.

mattis89 likes this.
  16. mattis89

mattis89

I got worse looking scenes than what I had before. . Support email to dev?

17. amoka

amoka

I am not the plugin developer, just jumped in, tried to help.

mattis89 likes this.
  18. mattis89

mattis89

I understand the workflow now.. specular seem to make alot of weird artefacts. Like grass is white and so on.. have to change specular to green . And red on blood.. do you know where to put the deckard multimat component and how to use?

19. mattis89

mattis89

@olix4242 where do I find the script for skinned mesh renderer? Parts are flying

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  20. mattis89

mattis89

21. Freznosis

Freznosis

Have you tried private message? Unity threads don't always notify you. Or try the support website linked on the asset store.

22. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

mattis89 likes this.
  23. olix4242

olix4242

This shouldn't happen. If you post rendered image, I might can help in understanding why it happens.
    Deckard multimat should be used only when you need it and it's done by adding script to game objects.

Youi should read a manual that comes with Deckard, there is a section that describes this problem and solutions.

In standard way as you would do it in Unity. Drag and move scripts.

Yes, unfortunately, I didn't get any notification on updates on forum :( Sorry.

24. MrADN

MrADN

Hello guys!! Can someone confirm if this will work nicely with SLATE im thinking in buy both "Slate and Deckart" I want to try to do some pro cinematics for my games and maybe youtube, using slate for arrange animations sound and so on, and deckart for render ( and later re- add the sound of course maybe in adobe premiere or similar) so do you recommend this, I understand that cinemachine and timeline are a bit short in some characteristics for this matter thanks in advance for any information :)

25. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

The only MAJOR incompatibility I've found is with Post Processing Stack 2. That memory leak is a show-stopper.

There are many minor inconveniences that can be overcome, things like rigged figures flying apart because Unity assigns the rootbone incorrectly on multi-mesh figures, grass moving too fast because it's frame-based rather than time based, video dropping out of sync, and other small issues that only effect Deckard scenes because of how Deckard captures multiple images of each frame. They are not "bugs", they simply don't matter in real-time so there's no need to correct these issues when the goal to render as quickly as possible. Problems will seem random and weird, but once you get these things controlled it's fine.

In actual use – and this is my opinion – If you keep Deckard scenes separate from real-time projects, and treat it like a dedicated offline renderer with it's own materials, lights, camera actions, and workflow – Deckard is great. Anti-aliasing artifacts are completely gone, specular highlights are amazingly sharp, lighting is wonderfully soft, depth-of-field is unmatched… But it's enough difference where I don't recommend dropping Deckard on your game camera and hitting play. Everything will need to be tweaked. You can't (conveniently) go back-and-forth between Deckard and game. Consider Deckard's workflow to be similar to a traditional renderer where you will need to handle audio and color correction in post in a video editor/compositor.

The benefits are being able to use all your Unity assets with a new renderer. The downside is that Unity lacks the basic functions of an off-line renderer, including the ability to render a transparent PNG for compositing. A timeline tool like Slate is good with Deckard because Unity becomes frame-accurate, and I had no problems with Playmaker state machines. Upcoming features in Unity 2020 Render pipeline may allow postprocessing inside Unity after Deckard renders. For me, the external workflow and color correction is a pain so currently I don't use Deckard as much as I would if it could all be done inside Unity.

26. olix4242

olix4242

This is pretty strange - I don't have any memory leaks with PPS v2. I had in some versions of Unity and PPS V2 but in Unity 2019.1.4 I don't. So I think this comes from some internal Unity bugs.. and is probably related only to speceific versions.

Transparent PNG support is on it's way.

wetcircuit likes this.
  27. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

It's not all that "strange" and has been discussed in this thread (page 8) but you weirdly kept insisting our computer fans are dirty. :rolleyes:

No one ever said it was a bug in Deckard.o_O

If you are going to be sensitive to positive feedback, please consider that non-Scandinavians do not care to be dismissed with "Your computer fans must be dirty, it's the only possible explanation for Unity running out of memory and crashing.":p

28. olix4242

olix4242

Well, actually I gave some explanations and also said that GFX/CPU temepratures should be checked if you get wierd results of fluctiations on framerate. I don't see it as anything wierd, especcially as I came around with those problems in a past (not related to deckard). When troubleshooting without enough information and possibility to test on user system one can only do best guesses. What I've said is:
    "I think that it might be some post processing effects - if you are using any. It could be that some of those effects have some kind of memory leakage. Sometimes memory leakages are difficult to notice when using image effects alone in Unity as they could require some time to fill up your memory - but with Deckard they might arrise sooner (as deckard is more intensive on rendering). Best way to know if you are dealing with memory leakage is to activate Deckard and look at a memory usage in your system. BTW, I know that there were some Unity versions that had a bug with releasing Render texture, and this leads to memory leakage. I can't tell what version was that.
    Other than that, as deckard uses pretty much all of juice of a graphics card - you should also check if temperatures aren't too high (GPU and CPU) - as this could lead to throttling, crash or even restart. If this is a case, then you should provide better ventilation. New mac's are known for pretty unefficient ventilation and extremely high temperatures under load."
    And I've said this just because I had another user with a same problem solved with better ventialtion. As you can see, but I've also pinpointed what might be a problem.
    Well, what I've ment is that it's strange if you still have those problems. But I really don't knwo, maybee Unity version on Mac is somewhat different and is more prone to memory leaks. What I wanted to say actually is that maybee it's worth to try if this problem persists in newer version of unity. ;)

29. olix4242

olix4242

UPDATES ON DEVELOPEMENT:
    I've been working on some new features and overall performance improvements. Here is a small list of things that will be available soon in Deckard.
    -New rendering mode in editor with much better performance response. It will require usage of Deckard Render window

- we are stepping away from previewing render in Game View and insted will be using Deckard Render Window (like it's done right now for SRP Pipeline). This adds some benfits and space for future improvements and implementations (like rendering into a separate monitor). What changes from user experience aspect is that Deckard Rendering window updates itself from time to time without using too much CPU and GPU. This will have impact on it's rendering speed while working in editor (but this is configurable) but will keep Unity interface responsive and will eliminate the need for turning off Deckard rendering while working in editorr.It should run as fast as without using Deckard.

-Added a simulation of configurable film grain/video noise,based on a physical behaviour of celluloid film or video camera. It adds pleasing analog type grain, just how a real film would no, resulting in much better color perception (especially with gradients). This behaviour can be tuned to match different film types.

-Improoved sharpening algorythm - now you can add nice sharpening effect that works great.

-Added high quality filmic bloom/lens flares as an option

-Ability to render Lightfields (usefull for devices like LookingGlass)

-Ability to render Stereo (3d) videos

-Ability to render Alpha channel

-Ability to render off screen projection - usefull when rendering videos for VR Caves or doing videomapping.

-added ability to do some basic color correction like white ballance or contrast adjustment.

wetcircuit and mattis89 like this.
  30. mattis89

mattis89

Sounds awesome! Btw, I got it working.. except that some item that have reflection turns white when enabling deckard..

31. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. I am really interested in your Lightfield rendering progress. Do you have already some examples.

32. chebidoia

chebidoia

Can i use it to render 360 videos?

33. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Anyone had a problem with animation wont work in render but in editor? I get some weird error about audio and decard render (skin motion & late update)?

34. olix4242

olix4242

No, this isn't possible at the moment.

35. amoka

amoka

Is it possible to have a "picture-in-picture" type output from Deckard Render? I would have the main camera render the general view and there should be an overlay area showing a control device ( a 3d joystick model) in sync with the events happening in the main view. I would like to avoid rendering two separate shots.

36. olix4242

olix4242

No out of a box. You could eventuallyt render your image into render texture and render it as World space Ui. But it will not be shaded as other objects in Deckard.

37. mattis89

mattis89

What is the recommended settings when using deckard for a game trailer with timeline ? Deckard is set to 60 fps and timeline also.. frames is set in deckard , like it is in timeline (total amount of frames, length on the trailer, 9300 frames.... But still it behaves weirdly when rendering in 2k. It "keeps" the frames longer then what it should, making the rendered video "longer"...? @olix4242

38. olix4242

olix4242

This looks strange. It should respect a framerate set in Deckard. Have you started working with that framerate from a start or you changed it later? Can you check the info for video file in explorer? I would also check if camera aniamtion didn't save deckard framerate inside animation, and then it resets framerate when you start capturing.
    How much longer is it?

p. s. My suggestion is not to render at that high framerates ever as you will loose all of the filmic sensation (and could probably cause stuttering on user PC or phone, many doesn't support even more than 30fps). Movies are made at 24 fps, and anything above that "screams" what we assotiate with low quality/cheap video.

39. mattis89

mattis89

Well I noticed that Unity timeline was set to 60 fps, so I thought might as well set deckard to 60 too.. Its about 3 sec longer... Change deckard back to 30 ? or was it 24? @olix4242

40. mattis89

mattis89

No offence but this rendering solution together with timeline isnt that good... way too much hassle and slow support.

41. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry, but I'm at this moment out of my studio, as I'm sick at home.
    Please, I can't help you much if you don't give me an info that I've asked.
    Most important is this:
    "Can you check the info for video file in explorer?"
    But also, all other questions are important to me to be able to understand a problem.
    If you have rendered 9300 frames, your video should be long 9300 frames. If you set it to render at 60fps, it should be 2 minutes 35 seconds. What does file info says about lenght of a video file?

Attached Files:

42. mattis89

mattis89

Actually, I have to apologies. I have a blank camera set with a story board between cameras, and it was set to mute..So when I unmuted it, I got it the way it was played without deckard. Im so sorry!

olix4242 likes this.
  43. Carwashh

Carwashh

This is still the case, ctrl+z doesn't undo any changes to Deckard - which is really frustrating when I'm fiddling/ learn stuff, press ctrl+z to undo the last change to Deckared and then the Deckard component disappears because that was the last logged change in the stack.

MegaMileyDev likes this.
  44. MegaMileyDev

MegaMileyDev

I bought this plugin yesterday and I'm trying it out today but I've ran into the issue that the Post Processing Stack V1 is deprecated on the Asset Store and thus I've got multiple missing scripts on post processing stuff. Since PPS V1 isn't coming back, when will I be able to use Deckard with PPS V2? Does the HDRP upgrade already support that?

45. MegaMileyDev

MegaMileyDev

Also, the lack of CTRL+Z to undo is quite annoying, plus when I export a video my GTX1080 FE is making weird squeaking noises which it's never made before.. Kinda worried about that because I don't want to break my GPU over an asset store package :/

46. artyrambles

artyrambles

I've been using it with PPS v2 the entire time without issues.

47. olix4242

olix4242

You can use PPS2 with Dekard without problems. But PPSv1 gives better SSR than PPS2. Also, PPSv1 should work without any issues. But only if you didn't install PPSv2. Otherwise it will give you compile problems.
    IF you want to use both on a same project, you can download this modified version of V1 (by me) and use it together with V2.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gip731519dwkht6/deckardpps.unitypackage?dl=0

Don't worry, this is normal when a GPU is under heavy load. This sound could come from a voltage regulator coils on a GPU (this problem is known as a 'coil whine'), that oscillates when it tries to smooth out current flow. You can hear less this in games, as games have a steady rendering flow, so GFX card has requirements for a steady voltage and this circuit doesn't oscilate so much - or lets say, it oscillates, but at a lower frequency. On the other hand, Deckard renders in bursts, and this means that this voltage oscillates and produces a high frequency noise. Also, It might come also from Audio speakers that get those electro-magnetic oscillations. Some times it can be reduced by using a more powerfull main power. Sometimes, some manufacturers can even reapir or change your GFX card - but not all, as this isn't something that impacts a performance or lifetime.
    But this is nothing to worry about, some of mine PC's also does the same, and it's completely normal and can't impact a life of your GFX card.
    Here is more about '"Coli Whine"
    https://www.howtogeek.com/297166/what-is-coil-whine-and-can-i-get-rid-of-it-on-my-pc/

MegaMileyDev likes this.
  48. olix4242

olix4242

Well, hell yes, you should be :p LOL
    Still, sorry for a late reply.

49. olix4242

olix4242

Here is a my new video from a new series that explains some of the tricks for rendering photorealistic videos with Unity. Thisw series will cover a usage of Deckard, but also of Unity and give some insight of what can be done in Unity with Deckard or without. And hopefully, one of the next episodes will cover a usage of Deckard.

50. martinreimer

martinreimer

Using Unity 2019.2.17f / HDRP version 6.9.0. and the DecakRender plugin is making my project very unresponsive. When I enable the Deckard Render script Unity is running very slowly and throttling my CPU. As soon as I disable the script the issue goes away. I just purchased the script so what am I doing wrong?

unityunity