Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Deckard Render - Cinematographic Renderer for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by olix4242, Feb 5, 2019.

1. olix4242

olix4242

If you are experiencing crashes with many lights, then you are probably reaching VRAM limits (what GFX card do you use?). If you have to use a lot of point lights with shadows, you have to use them with baked lighting - not in realtime.

2. olix4242

olix4242

Resolved and sent a new version to assetstore. BTW, seems that HDRP 11 has even better performance.

newguy123 likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

Excellent news!

4. yokenstein

yokenstein

It is an RX 480 4GB card, but I've already rendered plenty of frames with Deckard without issues. It's the recent scene I have with 10+ point lights with forward rendering causing the crashes. I did try baked lighting with shadowmask, but the quality isn't as good as realtime soft shadowing that Deckard provides, so that's a tradeoff for sure. I guess I will need a better graphics card so that HDRP is stable, but for now that will be difficult for me

5. yokenstein

yokenstein

Another update, opened my older scenes from Unity 2018.3.6f1 (HDRP 4.1.0 preview), they contained quite a lot of point lights and Deckard seems to be rendering them at the default 70 quality rather quickly (~4s per frame compared to Unity 2020.2 which would've taken ~1 min per frame with just a single directional light with soft light script), and I can type this comment at the same time as well. I dunno why this is the case, but at this point it seems as if Unity 2020.2 has some sort of memory leak maybe

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    olix4242 likes this.
  6. olix4242

olix4242

Hi everybody, I have a good announcement for all of you interested into virtual production.
    My Deckard Chromakey is available on Assetstore. It is a high quality chromakeyer made for virtual production needs, and is tightly integrated with Deckard Render.

Deckard Chroma Key Indie is made to solve needs of high quality chroma keying for Virtual Production purposes, Live events, prerendered videos, live streaming, AR/VR applications for broadcast.*
    Deckard Chroma Key uses new paradigms in a field of chroma keying related to virtual production (TV, moviemaking and streaming).
    Chromakeying is a pretty complex work, and Deckard Chroma Key manages to meet all needs of professional chromakeying by using some features not available even on industry standard hardware solutions.
    Features:
    -Chromakeying that can treat transparent objects.
    -Chromakeying can use custom shaders and color correctors.
    -Chromakeying supports shadows, SSR, volumetric lights, DOF and raytracing.
    -high performance and stable person Tracking system that can be used with Unity Cinemachine or custom scripting for various effects.
    -System for avoiding (or supporting) shadows on chroma keyed surfaces.
    -Support for easy Garbage matte keying**.
    Garbage matte is a process where you sample green screen with it's imperfections and achieve a perfect key even without sampling colors.
    -Supports inputs from a webcam drivers, video Input or Texture (for simplified usage with third party plugins).
    -Uses video relighting tech that automatically generates normal maps for usage with virtual lights in Unity.
    -Deckard Chroma keyer is supported by Deckard Render for superior chromakeying for film.
    -Supports HDRP and Standard pipelines.
    -It features simple but powerful system for stacking denoisers, sharpeners, color correctors and other creative effects (with included holographic screen and comics effect). Authoring of those effects can be pretty simple with Amplify Shader or Shader Graph.

Indie version has all features as an Enterprise version but is meant for single developers/artists that earn less than 100.000$/Year. With Indie version you get a forum support.
    If you are user that doesn't belong into this category, you should buy a Deckard Chroma Key Enterprise version, that gives you 4 hours of live training, consultancy and support via video meetings.
    If you are a part of an educational institution, please contact me.

*due to it's nature it isn't intended or tested for mobile phone applications or low performance systems.
    ** Garbage matte can be applied only on static camera

DECKARD CHROMAKEY INDIE

DECKARD CHROMAKEY ENTERPRISE

newguy123 likes this.
  7. Enigma229

Enigma229

Thinking about buying this. I mainly do pre rendered cinematics using Unity Recorder. Before I purchase this I have a few questions:

1. Is this compatible with Cinemachine and timeline?
    2. Is this an alternative to the HDRP or does it work with its features?
    3. Can I incorporate this into an existing scene in 2019.4.4?
    4. What is the learning curve?
    5. Like 2. is this a replacement for Unity’s built in lighting or an expansion tool of sorts?

8. rodellison

rodellison

Hi, I've run into a rendering frame number issue, and I'm not sure whether its Unity 2020 related, or the latest version of DRender. Unfortunately I did two things at once (upgrade my project to 2020.3.0f1, and also imported the latest DRender 3.0.5 version) from the package manager. What I've noticed is that if I begin a render and cancel it, the last rendered frame's number seems to get stuck and gets used as the starting frame number for the next render.
    I have resume from frame as 0 which had always seen DRender create the first output image as img00000.jpg, however what's happening now is the last rendered frame is the first frame of the new re-render. that is, rather than the first frame being 'img00000.jpg', its whatever the last frame was in the last render pass before cancel. Not sure where to look.

EDIT: After further testing, frame count problem described above seems to only occur when 'Safe Render Mode' box is checked. If I uncheck it, re-renders with Resume from frame 0 work correctly.

GIF 4-26-2021 5-10-08 PM.gif

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. yokenstein

yokenstein

Tried using Unity 2020.3.5 LTS with Deckard V3.0 and deckard preview is lightning fast so far, and the rendering is also faster but having a problem with with my character missing some meshes in the final rendered images (using skinned mesh renderer). I tried the old fix by placing an empty game object and setting that as root for all meshes but still the same issue

Edit: I pinpointed the issue. The skinned meshes that have Unity Cloth attached to on my character don't render in Deckard. Strange because I used the same character in Unity 2020.2 without such an issue but it's causing this issue in Unity 2020.3.5 LTS. It is not however causing issues with other skinned mesh renderers in the scene using cloth, just causing issues on my character. It's probably because of some problem with the Blender import settings as the skinned mesh renderer bounds are just incorrect. I clicked "update on off screen" but still same result. Game view is fine, scene view, Deckard preview is fine, but Deckard final rendered image shows missing meshes

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  10. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

Hi @olix4242
    I've been using the Deckard render for the last couple of weeks and I'm impressed. Thanks for this. The quality is stellar.

A couple of questions and notes.

1. Any idea as to why my ffmpeg has all of a sudden stopped working to render image sequences from Unity? I tried to re-download and import it to no avail. (I tried on multiple projects)(Windows 10)

2. For single image captures, I noticed that the default folder "Assets/DeckardRender/Captures" didn't exist. I simply added it and the single image captures work - just thought you'd like to know.

3. Is there a way to add depth of field per cinemachine V camera? Right now there is one depth of field setting on the main camera via Deckard that spans across all my VCams on my timeline but the lens settings change for many of the VCams making the Deckard depth of field hard to manage with one universal setting when using timeline and cinemachine cameras. Would be awesome if there was a per camera override if possible?

4. I'm using a video player in my project that isn't rendering as should be via Deckard. I know with VR Panoramo you had an add on script to assist with video player syncing issues. Is it possible to use a video player on a plane for example as part of my scene and have it rendered out with the correct timing with Deckard?

Thanks again

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  11. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

@olix4242
    As a follow to #1 from my last post about the image sequences rendered from Deckard not encoding as video via ffmpeg, I think I found the problem. From Deckard, my renders are no longer starting at img000000 but instead for example, they are starting upwards of img05000/ See screenshot
    upload_2021-5-10_10-24-40.png

When I manually did a test and renamed a few images to img00000, img00001, etc. The ffmpeg encoded the video.
    upload_2021-5-10_10-25-32.png

Is there a way to reset the counter for the images? Or is there another solution to get the ffmpeg encoding.

Thanks.

12. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hey! Did you find how to override the aperture and focal distance per camera ? These fields are not animable and I can't attach a Deckard Render Component per VCam... we have offline productions using VCam and with aliasing problems and I guess Deckard could solve this problem.

13. olix4242

olix4242

I also found this problem few days ago and made a fix - will be submitting it to Assetstore today. In a meantime, you can just use this patch:

Attached Files:

JumpingGuy likes this.
  14. olix4242

olix4242

Here is a small script that can do this for you (SetCameraParameters.cs). If you are using timeline/cinemachine and switching cameras, you can attach it to each cinemachine camera.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w8cmy93uqu304p/setcameraparameters.unitypackage?dl=0
    One note: as it is it doesn't support camera blendings - just a hard switch from one to another. Alternatively, you can place it on an empty object, and animate values from there.
    p. s. I think that I will try to make a timeline track for this.

GeniusKoala, JumpingGuy and Mark_01 like this.
  15. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

Amazing thank you. I'll definitely use this for the hard cuts. Thanks so much for your continued technical support

olix4242 likes this.
  16. olix4242

olix4242

Ok, good news: I've implemented a timeline control track. You can download it here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpkz9yk63apvnne/deckardtimelinecontrol.unitypackage?dl=0

Usage:
    -Right click on timeline, go to Deckard render/ TimelineDeckardControl - this will add a track for controlling deckard render camera parameters.
    -Drag and Drop camera that has a deckard render component into a field.
    -On a track right click and add Deckard Control Track - set parameters for Aperture and focus.
    With this you can also blend values with clips.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  17. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

I just tested it. Works perfectly. I just needed to add my main camera with the CInemachine brain to the binding section and I was good to go. This will help a ton

upload_2021-5-11_10-29-11.png

olix4242 likes this.
  18. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Wow, that was quick! Thank you! It is indeed really helpul!

olix4242 likes this.
  19. olix4242

olix4242

Yes, it was really quick. Thought it would be much more work to do - but timeline programming wasn't so hard as I expected it to be.

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

@olix4242
    The option of changing the Deckard depth of field via the control track in a timeline is very cool. In addition to adjusting depth of field per VCam, I was actually just able to do a "pull focus" effect from foreground to background using the same vCam and a blended DOF control track from small focal distance to large. Very cool!

rodellison likes this.
  21. olix4242

olix4242

Great! If you have any suggestions about how to make it meet your production workflows, I'm all ears ;)

Mark_01 likes this.
  22. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

@olix4242
    I found your previous post about this and I'm now using the Video Scrubber Script found in the Deckard Package. It works well.

Can I ask what the "Time" field is for? I was assuming it would be length of my video? In seconds? Or frames?

upload_2021-5-11_16-10-57.png

23. olix4242

olix4242

I have updated timeline support. Please download it here (previously, blending didn't work correctly).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpkz9yk63apvnne/deckardtimelinecontrol.unitypackage?dl=0

GeniusKoala likes this.
  24. olix4242

olix4242

New version with sequence numbering bugfix and timeline focus implementation is live on Assetstore.

Mark_01, newguy123 and GeniusKoala like this.
  25. Muligos

Muligos

26. olix4242

olix4242

27. rodellison

rodellison

The Timeline (Deckard Control Track) is super useful. Am curious if you'd entertain adding a few more fields in your next release? Shutter Angle, Tilt Shift, Bokeh Fill, Film Color Amount, Saturation.. i guess, ultimately make most of the fields in the DRender component totally controllable through Timeline. I know if many situations, modifying them throughout a scene may not make sense, but there's probably some artistic use-cases. i.e. adjusting tilt shift during a sequence..
    Overall, great update!!

olix4242 and Mozq8 like this.
  28. Muligos

Muligos

I found the reason for the incorrect display of the clouds. The deckard renderer makes multiple renders of the scene with a change in the orientation of the camera and during this clouds change its position. As a result, they blur even more.
    I think that during deckard rendering it is necessary to pause time. Time.scaleTime = 0 and resume for next frame.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  29. olix4242

olix4242

Have you tried using a Safe Rendering option in Deckard?

This is already done on Deckard side. Probably clouds doesn't respect unity timescale... and use non scaled time (absolute time). In that case, only a developer of sky can fix this issue. (but I will see if I can find a solution by looking at his code)

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. Muligos

Muligos

Yes! Safe mode helped! Only in the preview window does it blured the clouds heavily. After full rendering, everything is super! Thank you!

olix4242 likes this.
  31. esmundoz

esmundoz

Hi, this asset looks really impressive, I want to try it for intro/trailers for my game. Is there a recommended setup that gives best performance and/or results considering Unity version and RP?

olix4242 likes this.
  32. olix4242

olix4242

Mostly, everything that applies in terms of performance for unity, applies for deckard render. It scales similarly as unity. You should get rendering times by dividing your current framerate by 100 - 140 . This means that on a system/scene capable of rendering at 140 fps, your rendering time per frame will be 1 fps. Or in terms of rendering time per frame it will be one second for a frame with deckard. Also, most deckard effects (motion blur, DOF, antialiasing) in this case will be free and won't add any adittional performance drop.

33. esmundoz

esmundoz

Thank you for your quick reply! I see that HDRP is listed as experimental, does that mean that built-in should be used if I can choose freely?

34. olix4242

olix4242

It is tagged as experimental because of some problems with stability of HDRP. But, those problems are mostly solved in HDRP10 and 11. Also, ad you probably know, all HDRP is still experimental. But, as HDRP is heavier than standard pipeline, yoh mi

esmundoz likes this.
  35. BouliBouli

BouliBouli

Hi there! Just got the asset and been loving it so far, got a question though.
    Looking at the older posts one of the updates you mentioned "Added high quality filmic bloom/lens flares as an option" and even though there's a script called "Deckard Bloom" it doesn't seem to be doing anything, also couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation, how do I set it up?

olix4242 likes this.
  36. olix4242

olix4242

Hi, Deckard bloom works only in Standard pipeline and you are probably using HDRP. In HDRP, you should use a HDRP post processing bloom.

37. BouliBouli

BouliBouli

Yep, that's the case. Thanks for the quick reply!

38. yokenstein

yokenstein

Is there a way to fix skinned mesh renderers using Unity cloth disappearing in Deckard final render (Unity 2020.3.5 LTS)?

39. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry, but I really don't have any idea what could be wrong (even more if you are saying that this problem didn't happen in previous unity versions).
    You might send me your character, or I can just hop on a zoom call with you and see if I can pinpoint this issue.
    A problem is: if there is a unity bug related to specific unity version, then I can't help too much. But, maybe we can find what causes it, and can submit a bug report to unity.
    To pinpoint better the issue can you just check if it shows in scene view, but not on render view? Or it doesn't show on both?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  40. olix4242

olix4242

Hello everybody,
    I'm thinking about adding something like a recorder track to cinemachine, adedicated only for deckard rendering.
    What would be your prefered workflow?
    Idea is to have an ability to split timeline to different sequences with different namings, and to be able to simply render ranges. ANY WORKFLOW SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

JumpingGuy and newguy123 like this.
  41. yokenstein

yokenstein

That would be extremely useful. Saving a lot of time, because currently I have to manually set the ranges from 1vcam to another, and then add an extra frame to the vcam track to account for the motion blur etc

42. yokenstein

yokenstein

It would be awesome if you can somehow automatically detect the vcam ranges (starts and ends) in the cinemachine track, while setting their names to be the same as the vcam names.
    If automating it is not possible, then allowing the user to manually add # of ranges with names would be okay too.

Attached Files:

• idea.png
      idea.png
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
    JumpingGuy likes this.
  43. olix4242

olix4242

You don't have to add extra frame if you are using Safe-rendering mode in Deckard.

yokenstein likes this.
  44. Mozq8

Mozq8

Hi, olix4242, question about Deckard Chroma key, is it possible to use it with motion graphics animation, for example on green screen in png sequence?

45. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

This idea definitely has my vote and would help a ton. Not having to render an entire timeline sequence just to fix a small section will be amazing. Thank you.

46. rodellison

rodellison

olix4242 likes this.
  47. olix4242

olix4242

Fortunately, I was fortunate to be in early beta program and had opportunity to test this tools. There are many of them that will find it's place in virtual production and work with deckard.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Mark_01 likes this.
  48. olix4242

olix4242

PNG sequences are a little bit heavy.. and we don't have a player for them. Also, they already support alpha channels, so not sure that there would be any need or doing chromakeying on PNG. But you could use it for video sequences that doesn't have alpha channel.

Mozq8 likes this.
  49. KanadeNagisano

KanadeNagisano

Hello.
    I'm an indie musician from Japan.

I make a lot of music videos with this asset.
    I like this asset very much.
    In this video, I created everything in one timeline.

When I switch cameras in Cinemachine, I get unintentional motion blur, which creates unusable frames in the video.
    I am currently manually deleting the unusable frames, but this can shorten the length of the video and cause it to not match the music.

So I shoot the video at 25FPS and then play the whole thing back quickly to match the 24FPS.
    (The unnaturalness caused by the difference in frame rates is solved by frame blending)

If there is a better way, please let me know.

Mozq8 likes this.
  50. ProyectoUnity333

ProyectoUnity333

Can I use this render in Universal Render Pipelin project?