Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] DarkACE - Audio Curves and Events

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dark-1-Games, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Hi,
    Dark-1 is proud to release the new DarkACE plugin for Unity.

DarkACE allows for manual creation of curves on top of your audio tracks, allowing for a dynamic gameplay or environment based on your audio tracks.
    You can also define timed audio events using the editor, allowing for fast and easy creation of audio-based game events.

Asset store link:
    http://u3d.as/75d

Demo:
    http://dark-1.com/DarkACE/demo/Dance.html

You can check out the first tutorial here:

Documentation and editor screenshots here:
    http://dark-1.com/DarkACE/

Changelog:
    V1.3.2:
    -Unity 5.4.x retina support

V1.3.1:
    -Fixed various bugs

V1.3:
    - Added curves sidebar in GUI
    - Added named curves. You can now look up a curve's current value by passing a name instead of index to the GetCurrentValue function. You can set the name in the sidebar.
    - Added mute/solo buttons for curves visibility in the editor. Note that this is just for easier editing and has no influence on the curves when you start the scene
    - Added speed slider. Now you can edit your tracks in slomo.

V1.2:
    - Better curves creation, mute/unmute for curves

V1.1:
    - Fixed a bug that made position line invisible after playing game in editor
    - New disco dancing example

V1.0:
    - Initial release

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Just updated with bugfixes and a new dance demo scene!

3. twobob

twobob

So I bought this.

Decent.

Would be nice to be able to prevent the curves going into "S"s automagically. Gotta be possible. Trivial probably. However new points have a nasty tendency to add ridiculous Way-Too-Long spline controllers. So it becomes a bit of a task to rejiggle each added point. Time consuming.
    EDIT: Okay so the author has fixed this, on wide monitors, and sent me a beta to test in one day. Respect.

Event entry is a bit clunky but meh. it works nicely.

The actual main problem is twofold. A) curves can't be marked as locked or inactive. That is a mistake. and is a PITA. EDIT: The beta 1.2(?) now contains a simple tickbox to disable curves. (this does not lock them on the editor yet but it's a step forward for sure) Again Respect.

B) there is no mechanism I can find to pull a certain curve to the "Front". Another major oversight.

In addition being able to rescale the Y would be nice 0-100 for example but one can simply apply a factor the the output I suppose.

Overally does what it says on the tin so far. Cheers. But it doesn't do it very gracefully. EDIT: But it's getting a lot better.

Without doubt what would make this awesome is the ability to auto extract events based on level triggers. Side chaining events anyone? That would make this awesome. Possibly when I dig around I can figure something out from what you provided myself. (EDIT: Yeah you could just track the curve value in update and do this actually if you just "outlined" the wav, but I mean from the actual RMS wav power data.)

EDIT:

The Author/Team has been responsive, communicative, and rapid in dealing with the bigger issues outlined above. Excellent. Can't wait to see what 1.2 might contain now ! :)

sneak possible peek.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. BryceS

BryceS

This looks to be almost exactly what I need for something I'm working on...

I have a question though: Say if I have some music with a known BPM is it possible to set up the curve points or event times to snap to a given beat? I see in the screenshots provided there seems to be a sort of grid -- what are the units along the x axis(I'm assuming seconds?)... If this has a feature to snap points to that grid and configure the grid to have a grid-line every beat(with a given beats per minute) I'll definitely buy this.

Also, is it possible to zoom in and out along the audio waveform? What about show only a portion at a time(like in unity's built in animation editor)? (I basically want to be able to add curves/events to a bit of music that is 2+ minutes long without too much hassle)

5. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

There's no way to snap to BPM since there's no way of knowing the BPM of a song, The bottom numbers are seconds.
    If your audio has rhytm you will probably be able to figure out where the beat is by looking at peaks.

Zoom in/out is available along with scrolling left/right.
    Showing only some of the curves is an upcoming feature that will be available very soon, in the upcoming version (Message me if you really need it, i'll send you a version with the feature).

You can play/pause and stop the music, and there's also a cursor that you can drag around for quick navigation around the music you have.

twobob likes this.
  6. twobob

twobob

a configurable snap-to-grid with an initial configurable "START OFFSET" would cover most "dance music" use cases.
    Stuff that has rallentando (et al) would be a hand-balled job any how.

Just my two cents.

7. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Updated the package with an improved sidebar GUI for easier curve management.

twobob likes this.
  8. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Updated the package with various bug fixes and UI improvements.

twobob likes this.
  9. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

Hey this looks interesting,
    Is it possible to automate certain events to ,i.e, the drum base?

10. twobob

twobob

no. it isnt.

You would be looking for Visualiser studio I suppose.

11. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

Thanks for the reply!

12. twobob

twobob

It IS an excellent package for non-frequency specific audio keyframing.

Just saying ;)

and you're welcome

13. SidarVasco

SidarVasco

I haven't decided yet. Project is still at concept stage. So who knows.