Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Curvy 2 - the ultimate spline solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jake-L, Sep 29, 2015.

1. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

There's no problem ticking it, what I find is that ticked or not ticked the train keeps looping in the inner loop, never goes to the outer loop. I'll create a fresh project under the latest 2019.12 and see if it still happens.

2. squallfgang

squallfgang

Hey great asset so far but I have one serious problem:

I want to create Spline that includes many 90 degree angles. So i choose linear interpolation to get hardedges. Hovever the Mesh starts deforming very weird making it impossible to use (see Image).
    Do you know a good solution?

Attached Files:

3. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

If the train is too close to the junction when the tickbox's value is modified, then the modified value will only be used at the next loop. Other than this scenario, what you describe is not a normal behavior. Please keep me updated with your test on a fresh project.
    Thanks

4. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,
    You can find an answer in this forum post
    https://forum.curvyeditor.com/thread-690.html
    Have a nice day

5. rise9912

rise9912

Hello! It's possible to use curvy for runtime spline generations on mobile platforms? I am trying to add nodes in my spline (Snake.Update() add new node every 0.15 seconds), and it has a really big fps drop on iphone XR (but I think it shouldn't). I thought it was a problem with the generator, but when I removed it, the problem still occurs. Thanks! upload_2019-12-27_2-44-43.png

6. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,

Can you send me a reproduction project, or do a deep profiling (by setting the Deep Profile option at the top of the window) and send me the data? Those will help me pinpoint the issue.
    If I have to answer without that data, I would advise to:
    • Choose a lighter orientation mode if possible: None < Static < Dynamic
    • Reduce the Cache Density of the spline
    • If the spline is long, and only a small part of it gets updated, divide the spline in two, and update only the part that has to be modified

7. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

The more you can share with me the more I can help. You can send me an email or PM me.

8. francoiscoiscois

francoiscoiscois

Hi,

I am interressed to purchase curvy with the playmaker integration you made and such good rating.
    However I would like to be sure I could use it for the purpose I need.

Using it for educational kids app on mobile, I want to create mechanic where
    Kids drag an object along a sline, like a cisor along piece of close to cut it for example, the shape of the piece of close would be made with a spline (just an example). the cisor only move along the shape on drag, and it is possible to detect when the object have bin draged from the start to the end of the spline.
    Kids draw a letter or a number, that is made with a spline or multiples splines, with the ability to know if they correctly traced along the spline.
    I am not sure about this, but shape recognition, kids draw a 2 for example on screen, and it is compare to splines, and is detected as a 2 if the shape match.

Is any of those example doable with Curvy, is it possible to achieve this with playmaker actions only or need some coding.

Regards

9. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

HI,
    First of all, sorry for the late reply.
    I feel that you are a french speaking person. If you want an answer in french please let me know.
    1. Dragging an object along a spline is doable through Spline Controller script
    2. Spline Controller trigger events when an object reaches specific points in the spline
    3. Shape recognition is a whole field which is complicated, but I guess that you can do some basic recognition (and I insist on the word "basic") by sampling evenly distributed points on both the kid's spline and the target spline (let's say each 1/10th of the distance), then computing the distance between each couple of points, and judging based on those distances
    4. You can do some of the above via Playmaker only (points 1 and 2), but you will need coding knowledge to be able to do point 3. And in general Curvy is a tool that can't be fully and truly used without coding.
    Did this help?

francoiscoiscois likes this.
  10. francoiscoiscois

francoiscoiscois

Thank you for your in depth response,!
    I am french indeed, how could you read my accent?? But it's fine communicating in English and other people can benefice from your explanation.
    I can see what is doable with curvy, just have to define my project to see if I need those feature for now.
    Thank you for your support, have a great day !

11. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

It was mainly the mix between "cloth" and "close", and your nickname.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any question
    Bonne journée

francoiscoiscois likes this.
  12. dirty-rectangle

dirty-rectangle

Hi, I am using Curvy with addressable assets. I've noticed that any scene which has the _CurvyGlobal_ asset assigned to it will cause the asset bundle build to be non-deterministic.
    Addressables generates an asset bundle with its CRC appended to it. When i clean build the addressables in succession this CRC changes and the corresponding asset bundle name changes.
    This is a problem because it breaks the addressable content update workflow which depends on deterministic data builds.
    But I couldn't see anything specific in the _CurvyGlobal_ asset which would cause it to build non-deterministically?

13. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,
    I never used addressable assets. I will dig into this subject and try to find what causes the issue. This might take some time though. I will keep you updated
    Have a nice day

atomicjoe likes this.
  14. Freznosis

Freznosis

I'm looking to purchase Curvy for roads. I want to ask, some questions.

The extrude part of this asset has me a little confused. Are you only allowed to create shapes or can you provide a mesh to extrude along the spline?

How would intersections work for roads? I assume you would have your splines and then a custom junction mesh. That's my current setup right now from picture below.

junctions_DT.png

I currently use a different spline asset and I have to manually line up splines to fit to the intersection meshes. Does Curvy have a way to line splines up to the intersection meshes? Manually doing it results in gaps and overlapping geometry no matter what. See picture below.

Unity_2020-03-31_05-29-50.png

If not, can the API be used to set position and rotation of a spline point so that it can be snapped to the middle vertex of the connection mesh? That would line up the custom mesh and the spline mesh with no gaps.

Thank you for your time!

15. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,
    1. The extrusion uses only splines as inputs. So if you have a mesh, you will have to contour it's shape to get a spline that has the same shape. Contouring can be done manually, or you can use Curvy's API to add CPs at the position of the mesh's vertex you are interested in.
    2. You will have to use an intersection mesh too in Curvy. You can make Curvy place the mesh automatically on the spline at a desired relative/absolute position. That will avoid you to have to place the mesh manually each time the spline (used in the road extrusion) is modified.
    3. You can also use the API to set the position and rotation of spline points (called Control Points in the asset).
    Feel free to let me know if you have other questions
    Have a nice day

16. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

rrahim and atomicjoe like this.
  17. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

18. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

atomicjoe likes this.
  19. iddqd

iddqd

Hi there,

I just got Curvy and it's great. How can I apply a random range of Scale, Rotation and Position to generated GameObjects? It's possible to supply a range for "Space Before" or "Height" but it seems not for TRS.

Am I missing something or is there another way for doing this?

Thank you!

20. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,
    Thanks for the compliment :)
    My answer assumes that you use the Volume Spots module:
    1. Scale: It is not part of Curvy right now. It should not be too much work to add. I will try to make a quick (and dirty?) version for you, and add it as a proper feature in an upcoming update
    2. Position: You can do that by setting a Range for both "Height" and "Position Offset"
    3. Rotation: You can do that by setting the "Rotation Scatter" vector .... but I found out right now that it is bugged. I will fix it and send you the fix. The fix will be part of the next update
    Once I have something to send you, I will contact you by PM. Alright?
    Have a nice day, and sorry for the Rotation Scatter bug

21. iddqd

iddqd

Hi and thanks for the quick reply

1. Adding Scale will be great!
    2. Height and Position Offset doesn't quite do the trick for me. Height works fine for the Y axis but Position Offset seems to rotate things. This is what the Position Offset does for me. upload_2020-4-27_15-37-10.png
    With 0 the planks are flat.

3. Yes the Rotation Scatter seems to have a bug, only some Objects rotate with a fixed value, it should probably affect all Objects with a Random inside the range.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve, is that the planks on the bridge have full TRS randomization. It seems like adding ranges to the "Input GameObject" and "TRS Mesh" would work, but I'm not sure if this will mess other things up since you need it in the Volume Spots Module? I'm sure you'll find a great solution.

Thank you very much.

22. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

2. Ok, I see

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take the time to think about how to do this properly. Will keep you updated

Have a nice day

23. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

iddqd likes this.
  24. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

You can find a tutorial here:

Hahaha, that's a good combo of double meaning words :D

C_p_H likes this.
  25. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Skaltum and iddqd like this.
  26. ysshetty96

ysshetty96

27. ysshetty96

ysshetty96

28. rrahim

rrahim

Same here. Seems that the website is down.

ysshetty96 likes this.
  29. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi,
    Sorry @rrahim @ysshetty96 and all, but since about 36 hours the server for my websites and emails is mostly down. I have spend the past two days trying to make my web hosting provider, GoDaddy, fix that, but with no success. They are basically telling me to wait an unspecified amount of time for things to work again, which is out of question. So I am in the process of moving to another web hosting provider. This will take some time, sorry for that.
    I will upload the documentation somewhere and will post a link underneath

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    atomicjoe likes this.
  30. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

In this zip you will find the APIreference for the lastest 2 Curvy versions. Inside each folder, there is an index.html file. This is what you should open.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0wun19pt2yx4l4/api.zip?dl=0
    Unfortunatly I can't share in the same way the other websites, since they need a running server and databases to work.

31. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Problem seems to be solved. I will keep an eye on this. Until I am sure everything is alright, I will keep the api reference available through the link above.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    ysshetty96 likes this.
  32. ysshetty96

ysshetty96

It's working now, thank you.

unityunity