Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Yea #metoo xD

I think because we are using the latest Unity version? xD Could it be? I tried it today on the latest Unity 2020.2.5f1, which uses latest URP 10.3.1 xD ....that means we are a little too early! xD Then again I really need it urgently. However, I don't want to do any stress to Olli. That man saved my life, he just doesn't know it =) Ok, now he will know it =) Thank you, btw!

that system kicks me every time. Soo smart and fast, love it =)

Attached Files:

• 12.PNG
      12.PNG
      File size:
      9.3 MB
      Views:
    olix4242 and buc like this.
  2. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

btw, on 2020.2.5f1 everything is pink! You said it's only the river material. Replace the river/mesh with a different shader? Could be the easiest way to fix the issue. What Unity version are you using? =)

3. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

@olix4242 do you plan to update the URP shaders to their full potential? Because XR for built-in is deprecated since 2019.3. and runs only on URP and HDRP. And Unity has in every 2019.x version delta-time issues (Forum thread).

Every moving object jitters/stutters as hell. of course more noticeable on VR. The closer the object the more you see it jumping instead of moving smoothly. In my opinion the whole 2019 series is useless for any kind of production, I tested every available 2019.x version except the betas, on standalone, standalone-VR and mobile VR. Unity 2020.2 has fixed that for at least standalone D3D11/12, and other platforms. (ETA for mobile XR > 2021). That's why I am on unity 2020.
    And going back to a 2018 version is no longer possible due to some other changes and those from important 3rd party developers.

Sorry for the long explanation, just thought it might be helpful. Also, I would like to start making the 1st test/showreel with a mini scape-city in URP for mobile VR/Oculus Quest 2. I thought by using a small number of buildings the Q2 should be able to render it at a very good speed. Given that Facebook announced a new Quest headset that is in development, this gets even more interesting.

olix4242 likes this.
  4. ranaUK

ranaUK

hey.. well the lake is a very specific shader. To be honest, I do have aquas, calm water and such.. but I kind of liked nord lake.
    Reverted to non urp

5. olix4242

olix4242

The problem is that almost on every change of HDRP/URP we have to rebuild shaders. This is something that can be done with Amplify Shader (if you own it) as all shaders are made with it. So if you have it, you could just open shaders, and recompile. But I'm not sure if Amplify still supports newest URP. Will have to try it.
    Sincerely, it is a quite a big problem keeping up with all changes constantly when you are a single developer. Will see what can be done.

syphon1977 likes this.
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Maybe Better Shaders might be a solution for you? With it VS Pro supports billboard grass and trees in Standard/URP/HDRP now. I guess it might be useful for you as well. I really like your asset and would appreciate this going forward. Better ask @jbooth directly in case you are interested.

7. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I am fully aware of this problem. Unity had two bad years, in where everything got more chaotic and I totally understand how hard it must be to follow their changes all the time. Thanks for the info with Amplify Shader. I will try it of course, but I can't imagine it will work right of the box, as you say, need to check if it supports newest URP. Also, looking forward to your approach. Will let you know of the results of my experiments xD

kind regards

8. Toby31

Toby31

I purchased the asset a couple of months ago as I liked the look of the asset and the flexibility, the shaders look great. Is there a package for HDRP?
    I see there where a couple of links you posted for URP a while back but no HDRP.
    Unfortunately I don't have Amplify to upgrade the textures to the latest version. is there another way around this.
    Currently all my assets in the city scene are pink?

9. ysundawa

ysundawa

Saw the asset on the sale .... and just to make sure if it works with URP 10 before grabbing it... or at least convertable to URP?

10. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I am not the dev, however I am using Unity 2020.2.3f1 and URP 10.2.2 and the buildings display fine. Be aware there are two additional asset packages that are required for this to work and there is a link somewhere on this forum (or hit me up and I can pass them to you)

Rensoburro_Taki and hopeful like this.
  11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

12. Summer006_unity

Summer006_unity

@olix4242:
    How to re-compile CSBuildingShader ?

win10 + unity2019.4LTS, PC platform, Linear color, ASE ver: 1.8.8 (latest for now)

My Steps:
    clone CSBuildingShader to a new one, rename shader, compile, got some error:
    error at expr1-expr8 node.
    edit expr code: added "return" before it, added ";" after it
    otherwise nothing changed
    shader compiled and passed

But when I use my cloned shader, the window normal map didn't work correctly:

upload_2021-3-4_12-4-16.png
    (↑↑↑ this is the original shader effect ↑↑↑)

upload_2021-3-4_12-5-2.png
    (↑↑↑ this is my cloned shader effect ↑↑↑)

What I missed ?

13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

re: Documentation

Hello peoples, I picked up CSCAPE back in 2017 for a vr race game I am making and it has been great, sadly the documentation is minimal so I wrote down the steps. I posted it here: https://github.com/Blissgig/Cscape_Process The bullet points didn't translate from Notepad when I added it, but if you select and paste it back into notepad it display correctly, or you know, feel free to add to it, fix it.

Hope that helps

d1favero, chelnok and dsilverthorn like this.
  14. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

@olix4242

re: Frame Rate Issue on Quest 2

I am having an issue and after a few days trying different options I am stumped.

This morning I created a new 3D/URP project, loaded CScape and the two URP asset updates. I then set the base options and hit "Generate City" and then compiled the game.

The entire game consists of:
    * Directional Light
    * CScape City
    * Terrain (1024x1024)
    * XRRig/Camera

Without the city, or with the city disabled, I hit 72fps (I have not updated the Quest to hit 90 fps) When I compile the game with the city (10x10 blocks, all default settings) I get 20 fps. TWENTY! So I think; "there must be something I am doing HORRIBLY wrong" and yet can't figure it out. I have tried it with occlusion created, and without. I have attempted the various settings "Optimize for mobile" and "Optimize Performance" but that has no affect on frame rate.

I am about to reattempt to get profiling working while running on Quest (another set of hoops to jump through) but I wanted to get this posted in the hopes you, or anyone, has a clue.

I'll report back with specific stats from the profiler when/if I get it working.

d1favero likes this.
  15. syphon1977

syphon1977

"Soon to come: Building Styles Packs, like Sci-Fi city, ’20’s New York, Italian city, Cartoon City, Apocalyptic City, Soviet City."

Any timeline when any of the mentioned Building Style Packs will be released, specifically 20's New York? '20’s New York and Sci-Fi city were a big selling point for me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  16. WizzleOfOZ

WizzleOfOZ

Will shaders be added for Hdrp 10 in Unity 2020?

17. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Honestly,post this here with a bit of formatting as a PDF! This is very helpful. I have to admit, I never changed any assets because of confusing/lacking documentation. The system itself is also its initial and never got overhauled. However, I can imagine how much work this must have been for Oli to create cscape. And then if you read that every user has a question, some are rude, some post issues in the store section etc. this must be frustrating also exhausting together for a single developer. And Cscape defenitely has to be supported. In view of this,.....So, I welcome big this summary! Thank you!

hopeful likes this.
  18. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

see post #1711 + #1712! And if they don't work, you can load the shaders into Amplify Shader Editor and save them from the unity version you want to use.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  19. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I am working for the quest2 (clients/job) and tested it's capability in many ways to it's max! Forget it! The Quest2 can't handle shaders like that without getting on the knees! It can't even handle normal transparencies! Believe me, the Quest2 isn't that powerful as FB sells it! ;) In fact, it's a crap, that maybe can manage now more polygons, but still doesn't have a graphic-powered chip that handles shaders & transparencies better. They can call it XR2 or superman or Batman! I don't care... my test results showed it to me! The only thing you can push up on the Quest2 is the # of polycount & the render scale, where even 1.0 is still the only one solution! A minimal project risen to 1.2 already brings the Q2 already to stutter due to heavy loss of frames (Unity PLUS delta fix!) The truth is: The quest2 is a nice beginning, but still crap! =D Only thing that works right of the box, is the connectivity & deployment of APK's; which was a pain in the a... with Quest1.

And directional light on a quest2? lol... sorry no.... not a single light should be in the scene! You have to bake, maybe then you have a chance with a small number of buildings! (don't forget the interior shader, and all the windows (transparencies) in front of it, coming additionally.

and then a Terrain as well?

Btw, a mobile phone handles transparencies, complex shaders better than the quest! Because they have to render them only one time...and so on..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    olix4242 likes this.
  20. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Oli, I want money for the support :p

Nah ^^ just some new CSCAPE features maybe :rolleyes:

olix4242 and syphon1977 like this.
  21. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

A tutorial for that would be really great! indeed

22. WizzleOfOZ

WizzleOfOZ

That's for urp and I don't own Amplify shader editor. This is becoming more of a buy to fix asset for Srp. Does the developer respond to emails?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  23. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I am sure he does! However, he passes by here too... so up 2 you =)

24. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I need to know how the buildings are sorted with the districts? by name? I need to move some buildings to another district, so I can combine the buildings in a new order. Doing so seems to break the allocation of the districts and the buildings are vanishing. Anyone has a clue?

25. olix4242

olix4242

I will have to check this. It groups objects based on their order in hierarchy - so moving those bguildings where surrounding ones are should help. This mostly shouldn't be used for deployment, but more for in editor work.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  26. olix4242

olix4242

m4d likes this.
  27. olix4242

olix4242

28. olix4242

olix4242

Haven't tried out with Oculus Quest 2. Oculus Quest 1 gave me decent results when turning off shadows. Strangely, I had better results with Oculus Go (probably that graphics chip was better when dealing with complex shaders).
    -You should probably try setting project Anisotropic textures to off.
    -Turning off shadows
    -Baking Occlusion Culling

29. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I'll check that out thanks.

Though I am considering giving up and moving this project back to Rift, streaming to Quest. I feel that my project idea is just too much for the current tech abilities...drats

olix4242 likes this.
  30. Neon_Apollo

Neon_Apollo

Hello, I've recently come across this error whenever I click on anything that is meant to be directly interactable (buildings, street pieces, etc.) and I can't interact with them anymore. This may be a compatibility issue because as far as I can tell it only started happening after I downloaded the asset "Simple Traffic System" by TurnTheGameOn, though when I deleted it the error persisted. I hope someone here can help me with this, here's the console message I'm getting:

Could not create a custom UI for the shader 'CScape/CSBuildingShader'. The shader has the following: 'CustomEditor = ASEMaterialInspector'. Does the custom editor specified include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr)

31. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Please! I really need it to finish my project. It's the last tuning part and this grouping really helps making that thing running fast.

32. olix4242

olix4242

Are you sure that you didn't do any occlusion culling baking?

33. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

Has anyone here tried to get this to work with a curved world effect? Please shed some light on how to set this up with the shader.

34. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Sorry, I can't follow. you mean outside of cscape some kind occlusion baking? I did not use anything like that.

35. olix4242

olix4242

I think that this can be done only with Amplify Shader (as I understood from Curved World asset description). I don't own this asset, so really, don't know how to help you: a good thing about Cscape is that it's made with Amplify Shader, so I think that you should only open all shaders, and add vertex input node supplied by Curved World asset.

gamesbydre likes this.
  36. olix4242

olix4242

You aren't using occlusion culling baking? My suggestion is to avoid baking meshes with Cscape (you should use it only in editor, or when dealing with large cities from aerial view), and instead, keep all buildings separated, and then bake Occlusion culling. You should get a significant gain in performance.

37. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

Yes I have been following their integration steps for handwritten shaders which consist of copying and pasting their code into the Cscape shaders, but I cant seem to get it to work. I have been trying for over a day now, don't know what im missing. I dont have amplify shader, but the instructions make it seem like this is simple to just copy code to the shaders.
    Im wondering if I purchase Amplify Shader would this fix my issue as they do have instructions on how to do that as well. I thought I could follow the hand written instructions.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  38. olix4242

olix4242

Amplify Shader would be a best route. Cscape shaders are really complex shaders, and inserting it by hand is a complex task. But a support for this should be asked to support of curved world asset. I will try to contact him also, and see if they can send me curved world asset to try it out.

39. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

The thing is, in my scene it's all about a wide view of the city. I have no moment where occlusion culling would help me. I I have a linear (fixed) camera movement that shows only the proper buildings ( others were deleted manually) and 97% of the whole movie sequence in a high altitude view, about 200-460 units high. That's why my focus is on the cscape packing method, which is the only one that preserves the material id's of each building when grouping ^^ It would be great to have a separate script that can handle cscape buildings out of the cscape main script.

40. olix4242

olix4242

Please send me Private message, we may arrange a zoom call so that you can actually show me your problem and see if we can resolve it.

41. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

I purchased Amplify Shader and the process is working, however I still need to fine-tune it. Also, in the instruction manual for Curved World, there is a section that explains how other developers can easily make their products compatible with Curved World by adding a few lines of code to the shaders. If you would like I can upload that info for your reference. Please let me know!

42. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

The curved world is working except I cannot get the ground to display. The mesh disappears

43. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

I got it all working finally!!!

olix4242, JamesWjRose and hopeful like this.
  44. olix4242

olix4242

A developer of Curved world was so kind to send me a free copy of curved world asset, and I already wanted to implement it into Cscape. Good that you did it by your own, but I might still look into it and see if I can improve it. Do you have any animations to show us?

45. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

Sure, Ill get a video going and post it

buc likes this.
  46. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

Does this product work with URP? Because my city is pink .

47. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

I got it working with the latest version of URP by downloading the two files on this forum.

48. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

I spoked too soon, the river is sttill pink

49. olix4242

olix4242

River isn't supported at the moment. It is a really complex shader from my Nord Lake project, and it unfortunately, isn't portable to HDRP/URP and would require few months of development. I'm suggesting you just to add some other shiny material for a moment.

50. gamesbydre

gamesbydre

No problem ill try to create one myself. Do you have any suggestions on how to reduce light baking times, it is extremely long? That is the reason i have not yet produced the video of the curved world as i couldnt get a good recording because of performance issues. I did record this https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gEY5-4n7R6v0rM77TD6-k7xRj-F8287/view?usp=sharing with my phone but it is not that great of a recording. I have since deleted and recreated the project from scratch.