Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CoryRobertson

CoryRobertson

I needed a city generator specifically for VR. Lo and behold, you made this amazing thing. I love it already! But I do have some questions when you have a chance:

1. Why does everything use a mesh collider? Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to use box colliders on most buildings and the other pieces?

2. Can you replace your building prefabs with anything? Would it be possible to combine this objects from the DestroyIt system? I'd like to make some buildings destructible by making the DestroyIt building a prefab and then replace some of the buildings in the generator.

3. Any major (or minor) tips for VR performance while using this? My game involves a lot of physics and movement, plus the destructible items described above, so optimization is going to be a big deal for me.

Thank you!

2. olix4242

olix4242

No, it doesn't use any DLL's, all scripts are open c#.
    Yes, it has a night-day system.

3. olix4242

olix4242

When you have thousands of objects with box colliders, it is much more optimized to use few large mesh colliders for static objects. Alsol, as not all buildings use boxed shapes, box colliders aren't a good thing. Anyway, never had performance issues with mesh colliders in CScape.

You can replace buildings only manually, then resize CScape buildings to fit your level design. Destruction of CScape buildings doesn't work as it uses vertex colors and adittional UV sets in vector4 format, and all destruction assets that I have tried, dont keep count of adittional UV sets. So, as long as developers of those assets don't take into account those mesh attributes, you're out of luck (but you might ask developers to implement this).
    Nothing special or more than usual on optimization in Unity: bake your occlusion. It pretty depends on where you have your bottlenecks and what look are you going for.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Hi this looks amazing, Is it possible to use curved roads?
    I'm making a racing game and it would be great if the building could fit around a curved road.

Gran-Turismo-Sport-Rain.jpg ab46f97faf4ccbb1b83ccdae75b5158f.jpg de18efe091f9677be321593fdeb26a53.jpg

Agatho_Kakological likes this.
  5. Agatho_Kakological

Agatho_Kakological

I'm also making a racing game and the night environment lacks proper lighting,My cars just get painted black

6. Agatho_Kakological

Agatho_Kakological

When's the next update coming and what new we'll get in it?

7. Agatho_Kakological

Agatho_Kakological

Anyone knows how to increase street width or change it's material or to use it's material in other road

8. Irokes

Irokes

can someone help me with optimization for android

9. p_hergott

p_hergott

Any idea on post apocalyptic?

10. reflejo

reflejo

Hey Oliver, thanks for this extraordinary plugin. I read on this thread that you think it's easy to do runtime placement to the cost of losing on some baking. How do you foresee people using CScape in runtime? I want to combine it with a mapping sdk to navigate real cities.

Also: Is there any way to use arbitrary meshes? (like the ones that come from Google Maps)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  11. GamePyro

GamePyro

Any news about CScape 2.0?

Also how in cscape can use OSM to generate buildings from openstreetmap xml or so?

Regards

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  12. GamePyro

GamePyro

13. ahmedsaed2652003

ahmedsaed2652003

it's really cool

but does it support HDRP ?

14. batman2211

batman2211

Hello is there any plan on HDRP support?

15. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

So, I am impressed with this tool, but need more than 10 signs in my levels. Where do I add or change the images for signs? My players walk around the streets, and I am getting tired myself of seeing the same burger signs, electronics signs, and stranger's pub signs. It's always those same 3 or 4 signs.

Also, how do I customize the advertising signs? I would also like a couple dozen of those as well.

Thanks,
    Mark

16. willkempkes

willkempkes

Hi Oliver! I just bought this your asset a week ago and have been experimenting! I love it so far, I've always wanted to freely create a city visually. I understand many people are looking for an asset that makes the whole city on the click of a button, I've been learning to use the asset differently, though. I've always prefered controlling and arranging every asset in a scene so I've been making a city and then tuning and arranging all the buildings around my points of interest, and this works amazingly well. With other assets, I always had to keep building number as low as possible. With CScape, it's much more freeing to build streets and just deleting what you don't need anymore, later. Great to work with!

One question I have, though:
    I've tried the asset in two different projects so far, and experimented with using the toolset to change the window and shop front tiles. In both projects I've encountered the error where the buildings lose some of their textures when I hit the 'compile textures' button. It will compile, the new type of window will replace the older one in my city, but the whole city will get a flat, almost monochrome look. I saw you mention something about this in an earlier post, so should I try changing the textures in a different project which doesn't have the error, then exporting that cscape folder as a package and importing into my other project? That way, I wouldn't need to compile in my project and would avoid the bug.

Which Unity Version is most stable to do this with?
    Will there be a fix for this bug?

Thanks!

Will

17. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@olix4242 Are you still working on this asset? Do you frequent this forum?
    Your last message was in July!

I am not getting the frame rates expected in editor. I start at 1.5 FPS, and over 2 or 3 minutes, move up as high as 30.9, but generally stabilize between 20 and 30 FPS. This is including my own disable Renderers at distance code to lighten the load further. Without it, I am trapped at under 15 FPS...

upload_2020-9-14_7-57-32.png

I did my first build test today, same 10x10 city district, seed 899, The building graphics are DooM quality, it runs smoothly, the speed trees appear to be only sprites. (I have no distance code on the trees.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings, configs, or anything else that can pull some better stats out of this baby? I have yet to add my character models, random item models, interior models, UI elements, my dialogue scripts, and my AI code. Each of those will add overhead.

Mark

PS: I have tried this in HDRP mode, way too many errors in the console. Troubleshooting them was a circle jerk. Fix this, break that, fix that, break something else, fix it, break this again... I have tried deferred rendering, forward rendering, linear mode, etc. Incidentally, in the demo, when I remove the broken Rigidbody FPS player, I see over 200 FPS. Of course there is no interaction. Add any controller in (I've tried several) and it's downhill FAST.

18. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@olix4242
    Things that I have learned:
    • If while in editor, the scene view is open and focused on anything (close to and viewing any object) the frame rate is negatively effected. Suggestion - Move the view window WAY back and frame rates improve. Close the scene view and it really improves.
    • LOD acts "weird" in Cscape. Might be because of combined meshes. Lightpoles for instance are operated on as a group. LOD operates on the center of that group, not on the individual poles. Suggestion - don't combine the meshes, or leave it as a selectable option.
    • Adding my "DisableByDistance" script placed on each header object (Buidlings, RooftopDetails, Streets, etc.) and acting on all children to disable/enable renderers doubles the frame rate. It turns off renderers for anything 200 units or more away from the player object) Suggestion - Do something similar.
    • Trees look fine in the editor, and behave like speed trees should. In build, they are just billboards. No operating LOD. May be related to combine mesh? I fix this by removing all LOD except LOD0 and Culled. I will not likely use the place foliage tool, and will use other means to place trees.
    • Errors encountered at application close in editor regarding destroying objects or transforms can be fixed by testing if the objects and transforms exist before attempting to operate on them. Tedious, but fixed.
    Applying these lessons learned has resulted in ALMOST clean code operation in editor. During execution of a development build, the errors are logged to console, and seem to relate to scripted objects having different "serialization layouts" expecting x bytes and receiving y. Other than that, it runs very fast, even with my controller,
    4 main AI characters, half a dozen enemy AI (off screen), and other code operating.

Mark

unityunity