Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I have everything working with the exception of one thing.

The foliage is not generating across all of the street tiles, It appears to only generate for less than 1/3 of the city. Is there some controls somewhere for foliage that I am not seeing that is preventing it form generating foliage for every street tile?

2. olix4242

olix4242

Youi have folliage treshold value in Random Settings. But I sincerely wouldn't suggest adding too much folliage as folliage can be pretty heavy.

3. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hey so can we get some kind of update on Cscape 2.0 it's been awhile since you said anything about it.

JBR-games likes this.
  4. JBR-games

JBR-games

not sure if its just me but even the demo scenes on a fresh project seem to have all kinds of errors.. nothing that breaks anything but missing references mostly..

5. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hey, im actually not sure about that only because i did not use the demo scenes, I just go Gameobject>CScape>Create MegaCity Complex.

JBR-games likes this.
  6. buc

buc

If you mean missing references as compile errors, then this is because of the character-controller. You can either try to import the appropriate scripts from the unity standard assets or the solution I'm doing: just delete the folder with the character controller scripts. I don't have access to my computer to answer more detailed, but the scripts should be located in something like Project-Root -> Standard-Assets -> Character

If you mean missing references in the CScape scripts: there is a difference in creating the CScape city. You can do it by using a menu-entry, by dragging a CScape City prefab into the scene or using one of the elements in a demo-scene (this works best for me, since at least one of the other solutions does not create all references as expected).

7. buc

buc

Would it be possible to store the needed information with UV-coords? The +y-values represent the chosen facade-type, negative y-values and both x-sides could be used for other information.

8. olix4242

olix4242

Well it is done this way already. But unfortunately, We have only 4 sets of UV's available in Unity. One is main mapping set (so it can't be modified as we need it for mapping), third and fourth are used by unity itself (for realtime GI and for lightmapping), and another is secondary UV set that I'm already using for writing compressed information of all faccade properties (and there are really a lot of them). Then I'm also using vertex colors for defining shapes. So practically, I would need a Unity to implement more UV sets than those two. Im still fiddling about it as I really need more ways to implement some things that I absolutely want to implement (and one of them is a possibility to add crunchiness to building corners).

JBR-games likes this.
  9. olix4242

olix4242

You are right. If you need some features, like custom buildings from plans, it is available for customers, but stil in beta and not finished. I was just waiting for unity to sort some of the issues, so that I can make unified version of CScape for all platforms.

MorpheusXI, HakJak and JBR-games like this.
  10. SmileTR

SmileTR

11. olix4242

olix4242

12. SmileTR

SmileTR

@olix4242

For now I am only checking on android device. "OpenGLES3" Active, yes.
    It works fine on my phone. But it doesn't work on some phones.

13. SmileTR

SmileTR

I'm using Unity version 2019.2.4f1. Same time, I clicked button for linear space.

(Error) Debug log ;

Code (CSharp):
    1. unsupported platform: couldn't get group name for target %i
    2. UnityEditor.PlayerSettings:SetUseDefaultGraphicsAPIs(BuildTarget, Boolean)
    3. CScape.CityRandomizerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/Editor/CityRandomizerEditor.cs:105)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ExecuteMenuItem failed because there is no menu named 'Edit/Graphics Emulation/No Emulation'
    2. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:ExecuteMenuItem(String)
    3. CScape.CityRandomizerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/Editor/CityRandomizerEditor.cs:62)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Could it be related to that?
    There is no such section. : Edit/Graphics Emulation/No Emulation

14. SmileTR

SmileTR

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  15. olix4242

olix4242

No, this is only for Unity internal usage. What is important is to check your build/player settings and see that you have forced usage of GLES 3.0 and don't have API settings set to automatic.
    Samsung Galaxy j6+ should absolutely work. As for Zenphone Go, I'm not sure, it's a pretty old and cheap phone.

16. SmileTR

SmileTR

17. batman2211

batman2211

Hey guys I noticed that there is a Samsung Galaxy commercial billboard included in CScape, is it okay to put billboard of big names like Samsung in my game? Will they go nuts and try to sue me? (I'm from Vietnam if that helps)

18. olix4242

olix4242

Hi, this advertisement is wrongly included in latest update as a leftover, and it serves only as placeholder as you should change all advertisings to you liking. (You probably don't want to use same advertisements as all other creators). That said, I wouldn't worry too much about legal issues, it was an existing advert. If you make photo of a real city with advertisements, you can't sue someone because photographing it.
    But my suggestion is to change adverts to meet a feel of your game. Its really simple to do, just change images in a texture.

batman2211 and hopeful like this.
  19. magique

magique

@olix4242 I tried the latest version in Unity 5.6.3 and after Generating City and running the scene I get the following error 33 times after I exit run mode:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable rooftopHolder of CSRooftops has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the rooftopHolder variable of the CSRooftops script in the inspector.
    CScape.CSRooftops.OnDestroy () (at Assets/CScape/Scripts/CSRooftops.cs:342)

I

20. olix4242

olix4242

It's a harmless error that happens on initialization when run in editor. It really doesn't have any importance.

magique likes this.
  21. vyral13

vyral13

Regarding the above rooftop error. If you try and change the random roof seed after a while it completely vanishes and throws errors.

I have noticed huge performance drops in the new version compared to the old version.
    Got a racing game im working on added the latest Cscape version, build tested on Galaxy S10 and noticable lag...
    So i had to resort to the 0.9.5.4 version, again same city size just a quick build tested and works smooth as silk no frame drops at all. Using 2018 LTS.
    Any suggestions? Happy to use older version for my needs as its simply distant night buildings.
    Cheers!

22. olix4242

olix4242

In one of my last posts I have added packs that contain shaders optimized for mobile phones. You should use them.

23. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey there,
    I´ve read on the shop page that custom packs / themes are coming ? When will that happen ?

Also, I leave this here:

Irokes, MorpheusXI, Aaron2348 and 2 others like this.
  24. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

@olix4242

This is just an fyi: I upgraded to Until 2019.3.0f6 and in that process I got an error with the following line: PlayerSettings.Android.minSdkVersion = AndroidSdkVersions.AndroidApiLevel18; Line 61 in CityRandomizerEditor.cs

Error info:
    Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS0619 'AndroidSdkVersions.AndroidApiLevel18' is obsolete: 'Minimum supported Android API level is 19 (Android 4.4 KitKat). Please use AndroidApiLevel19 or higher' Assembly-CSharp-Editor C:\Users\ASUS\Desktop\Heartbeat City\Heartbeat City\Assets\CScape\Editor\CityRandomizerEditor.cs 61 Active

I changed the value to AndroidSdkVersions.AndroidApiLevel19 and everything seems fine.

Just thought you should know.

Animesoft likes this.
  25. olix4242

olix4242

Great demo for Skyhawk :)
    As for themes-packs, I'm still waiting for a Cscape version 2.0 to be finished - and this somewhat requires final version of HDRP pipeline to be made by Unity.

26. vyral13

vyral13

Thanks! I'll give it a try! Currently looking and working incredibly smooth with the current version. Again just need lit buildings for side of race track decor. Cscape doesnt even effect the frame rate on the Galaxy S10. Beauty.

That looks awesome! Reminds me of G-Police!

olix4242 likes this.
  27. olix4242

olix4242

This is good to know. I'm testing still CScape on a S8, and that is my target for a performance. But it's already outdated, so I might have more space to introduce more features into buildings without impacting too much performance on new phones.

28. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, I am getting the following errors after upgrading unity to 2019.3 Latest.

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(26,27): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(26,13): error CS0023: Operator '!' cannot be applied to operand of type 'GUIText'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(47,26): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(47,13): error CS0619: 'GUIText.text' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(47,44): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'bool'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(50,30): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(50,17): error CS0619: 'GUIText.material' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(53,30): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(53,17): error CS0619: 'GUIText.material' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(55,30): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\CScape\Scripts\FPSCounter.cs(55,17): error CS0619: 'GUIText.material' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

I tried my own fix changing GUIText to Image but that resulted in a "text" issue I could'nt get around as I am not a coder at all.

Any ideas how to fix this.

I also reimported CScape City just in case I missed an update.

Thanks

29. olix4242

olix4242

Try to remove that script (it isn't important and is there only for testing purposes). FPSCounter.cs

Hawk0077 likes this.
  30. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Oliver, much appreciated that solved the problem.

However, I am now getting this error. I am not using any android related settings in my project so not sure how to fix this?

error CS0619: 'AndroidSdkVersions.AndroidApiLevel18' is obsolete: 'Minimum supported Android API level is 19 (Android 4.4 KitKat). Please use AndroidApiLevel19 or higher'

Many thanks

31. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I actually commented out hat line which solved the problem but not sure if its a good way around but as I said I dont use Android.

// PlayerSettings.Android.minSdkVersion = AndroidSdkVersions.AndroidApiLevel18;

32. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I just purchased CScape and it doesn't seem to work. All the scripts say they can not be loaded. Even the demo does not work at all. I am running Unity3d 2019.1.8f1

33. olix4242

olix4242

Check your console that you don't have any script errors.

34. legionkingz

legionkingz

When is CScape 2.0 coming out and is there a Beta?

Rowlan likes this.
  35. Testmobile

Testmobile

Hey Olix, i was wondering if there's a way to open the exported meshes in a 3d application?!
    Or perhaps some way to export them as OBJ!?
    The thing is that i wanted to be able to make the walls where the level ends, some down and uphill streets, alleys and stuff, getting the city to show up (even if it's just a mesh) would be really useful as reference to design the level.

Thanks in advance!

36. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Is CScape going to be HDRP compatible any time soon? Many thanks

37. hotshot03

hotshot03

How to make it compatible with Unity HDRP ?

Hawk0077 likes this.
  38. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I don't think you can, although Im not 100% sure. Oliver is no doubt busy developing cscape and possibly other building projects so all we can do is be patient. Just a little longer.

39. olix4242

olix4242

hopeful and Hawk0077 like this.
  40. olix4242

olix4242

Unity has it's included FBX exporter. Be sure to add it in a package manager. It will export all meshes from Cscape (without textures/materials)

Testmobile likes this.
  41. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Oliver, much appreciated. Ill follow your advice and stick to pink for now.

42. Cowboy_Jow

Cowboy_Jow

Hi, I'm having trouble reading the shader. Im trying to replicate the fake interiors parallax effect. I want to write it in a surface shader without amplify or shadergraph. how do you achieve the final "interiorUV"? it is hard to trace in the code without amplify shader.

43. Irokes

Irokes

when there will be a SCity update?

44. Rami_Unity_00001

Rami_Unity_00001

dear friend ... is there future support and Update for CScape or not ???

Hawk0077 likes this.
  45. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I would think so. But cant be sure. I believe the developer is working on it.

46. olix4242

olix4242

There won't be any official future version until Unity 2019 LTS when it will come with full HDRP support (when Unity finishes implementing a stable version of HDRP). CScape works with latest official Unity versions. Are you having problems? If you are, please post here a description and how to reproduce them.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  47. olix4242

olix4242

I have a code only for Amplify Shader and translating this to "readable" code is a complex work that requires time.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  48. obstudio

obstudio

Hi, on 2019.3 I have
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\CScape\Editor\SplitSectionMenu.cs(19,122): error CS1061: 'CityRandomizer' does not contain a definition for 'prefabs' and no accessible extension method 'prefabs' accepting a first argument of type 'CityRandomizer' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    it's in 4 places in SplitSectionMenu.cs

49. olix4242

olix4242

Hi, there is no such a script in CScape (SplitSectionMenu.cs), this script was deprecated long time ago.. Are you using a latest CScape version from assetstore?

50. Swyfft

Swyfft

Hi Oli..

Have quick question(s) about current install process..

I had to switch computers and my last system I did prototyping on 2018.x, but now I'm redoing everything on 2019.3.6

it was a bit late last night, but when I tried to set things up there were a few errors (saw some posted here and tried to fix them)

installed Standard Assets (think there is more than one version available)
    installed PostProcessing v2 (current from package manager.. recall something about v1 somewhere?)
    installed latest CScape version from asset store

created city and things didn't look quite right .. trees floating, roads and stuff not right...

so before I go too deep in the troubleshooting path..

.. what is the current install process for 2019.3.6??

thanks!!