Search Unity

Assets [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. philc_uk

philc_uk

Hi, when i do a build, I am getting some Z fighting on certain buildings. The graffiti seems shifted somehow too, looks fine in the editor, just in the build it goes crazy and looks like theres 2 buildings in exactly the same spot, but there isnt. Any idea why this might be happening? Building for PC, Unity 2017.4

Attached Files:

2. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hey there and thanks for answer mate.

3. olix4242

olix4242

Hi - you should turn off vertex compressions in Unity Player settings.

philc_uk likes this.
  4. olix4242

olix4242

Hi JAmes,
    No you can't do this. I don't have any tools ( other than manually placing stacked buildings). Thius is mostly because it would produce too many polygons that aren't optimizable.

5. philc_uk

philc_uk

Hi, thanks for your response - I shall try that and let you know - I was about to start deleting buildings that had the problem!

Yes that seems to work - perhaps a hint somewhere in the building editor that it needs to be off or others may have the same problem - as its not obvious thats the problem as it looks like a shader bug when its not.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

7. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

A little help please. I created new facades, pressed the "Bake Textures" and then opened another scene and "Compile Only Styles" and then the "Compile All Textures" (separately) and ended up with buildings that had no windows at all.

Question: When "Bake Textures" is pressed, where is this info stored?

Question: Any idea why the windows are all missing?

8. olix4242

olix4242

Have you imported CScape Toolset Sources into your project?

9. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I BELIEVE I had done so, but just to be sure I imported it again. Pressed "Bake Textures" in the CScapeToolkit scene, switched back to my test scene. Pressed "Compile Only Styles" and still had the issue. I then pressed "Compile all textures" and again, still all buildings with no windows/etc.

I'm sure it's me, I just don't know why. Let me know what other info you need or what else I should try.

EDIT: I took a peek at the messages/errors and I am getting the following:
    Loading CScapeToolset/Normal/normal_038
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    CSMaterialTools:CreateStyleShapes() (at Assets/CScape/Scripts/CSMaterialTools.cs:92)
    CScape.CSMaterialToolsEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/Scripts/Editor/CSMaterialToolsEditor.cs:52)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

-----------------------------------

Graphics.CopyTexture with a region will not copy readable texture data for compressed formats (source texture format 12)
    UnityEngine.Graphics:CopyTexture(Texture, Int32, Int32, Texture, Int32, Int32)
    CSMaterialTools:CreateStyleShapes() (at Assets/CScape/Scripts/CSMaterialTools.cs:117)
    CScape.CSMaterialToolsEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/Scripts/Editor/CSMaterialToolsEditor.cs:52)

-----------------------------------

These warning are happening after each "Loading" message. (quantity of 250)

10. olix4242

olix4242

It looks like you have some compressed textures. WHat is your OS?

11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Windows 10 64 bit.

I created a handful of sprites for windows, these are PNG files, in case this is the issue.

12. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

Some additional info. I reimported the CScapeToolsetSources again this morning. I noticed that a number of assets had the Refresh icon next to them, even though I had reimported last night. After importing CScapeToolsetSources again, I tried to import it again, this time none of the sub-assets had the Refresh icon.

I then pressed the "Bake Textures" button and the "Rendering Textures" dialog appeared and no status changed for a dozen minutes. Unity was showing a max of 0.1% of CPU usage. When I attempted to cancel the process then ran. No errors. I opened my City Scene and pressed the "Compile only styles", still no affect. Pressed the "Compile all textures" and again, no affect. I deleted the city and created a new one, ran the process and again no windows.

I find it odd that the time I ran it, when I attempted to cancel, that I got no errors. When I ran it again I got the same errors as above.

I am going to delete the CScapeToolset scene, reimport it and see what happens. I will report back.

14. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

I thought it might be of value to show step-by-step

1. Deleted CScapeToolset scene
    2. Reimported Cscape asset from Unity store. This replaced CScapeToolset and MegaCity1 material
    3. Opened by City Scene and the building now had windows again
    4. Opened CScapeToolset scene. Pressed "Bake Textures" I got some warning messages (see below)
    5. Opened by City Scene. Pressed "Compile only styles" The windows are now gone again (the textures remain), with the errors: "Graphics.CopyTexture with a region will not copy readable texture data for compressed formats (source texture format 12)"
    6. If I press the "Compile all textures" I get this error: Graphics.CopyTexture with a region will not copy readable texture data for compressed formats (source texture format 12)

Here are the list of messages when "Bake Textures" is pressed. They don't SEEM important but just in case. Each of the errors occur 1280 times each
    Baking Textures - this can take some time, please wait
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateMe() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:46)
    CScape.CScapeToolsetManagerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Editor/CScapeToolsetManagerEditor.cs:54)
    --------------------------------
    Font size and style overrides are only supported for dynamic fonts.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:ImportAsset()
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateAssets() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:145)
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateMe() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:102)
    CScape.CScapeToolsetManagerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Editor/CScapeToolsetManagerEditor.cs:54)
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateAssets() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:151)
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateMe() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:102)
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateAssets() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:157)
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateAssets() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:163)
    Baking Done
    CSToolset.CScapeToolsetManager:UpdateMe() (at Assets/CScape/CScapeToolset/Scripts/CScapeToolsetManager.cs:106)

15. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

I'm log-jammed by this issue. Do you have any idea on how to resolve this?

16. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Han,

I am not the asset developer, but if I recall correctly I had this issue because I did not install the Unity Standard Assets. I have written some documentation for this asset and I suggest to take a look: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...uilding-generator.460380/page-25#post-4229944

If you have any updates to this document, please! do.

olix4242 likes this.
  17. olix4242

olix4242

18. olix4242

olix4242

I really don't know. I can't replicate this issue in any way. If you want, please send me (in Pprivate message) your skype adress or some other direct contact.. We can probably try to fix this via teamviewer.

19. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry for not being active lately, but I was working on my new asset, Deckard Render. Now it's done, and I will have more time for CScape.

If you are interested, here is some info about Deckard.
    Deckard is a high quality and cinematographic rendering tool for Unity, and it is available on Assetstore:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/137778
    Features:
    -Real Depth of field
    -Soft Shadows
    -Real Motion Blur for a smooth motion even on cinema framerates
    -Simulation of film and industrial standard real camera sensors color response
    -Superior antialiasing
    -Renders up to 8K resolution but gives perfectly antialiased ond natural image even in low resolutions
    -Supports standard Unity workflow and shaders

shredingskin, buc, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  20. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Amazing work, Congrats!

21. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @olix4242 I am messing around with CScape once again (in Unity 2017.3) and noticing some issues, just generating a CScape City in a new scene:
    • Many Lights/Lightpoles are floating far above the ground
    • Some lights are created outside the city (this is an old issue)
    • CSFloorDetails.cs and CSRooftops.cs should return at start of OnDestroy method or they generate lots of errors in the console
    • In CSInstantiator.cs line 116:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                         else DestroyImmediate(go);
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                         else DestroyImmediate(go.gameObject);
    the first issue is the biggest one for me now, as it looks like the lightpole meshes are merged, so there is no way to correct the poles that are too high without affecting the ones that are correct.

22. p_hergott

p_hergott

this asset looks so sweet. but I've searched for the ability of interiors, and there seems to be several discussions on it, being it would be far too much of a performance issue, which I totally get, but is it possible to add scripts or triggers to doors, to allow for the loading of a interior scene or something? like having a big city is sweet, but without some way of having some interiors, at some point, would be pretty limiting I would think. but to add a trigger at a door to even teleport a player into a interior would be fine. Edit: After thinking about this, i had it stuck in my head that this runs like, say vegetation studio. But it doesnt, it generates the buildings, then after a person can go in and modify and do things in specific areas no?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  23. buc

buc

This happens when the city is not at position 0, 0, 0 during creation or changing. After creating the city you can drag it to your desired position, but during creation or changing it needs to stay at 0, 0, 0. Yes, it's a bit cumbersome and I hope this gets fixed. In the meanwhile you could drag the whole world incl. terrain if you need them for adjusting the city.

Another reason for floating lightpoles is using custom prefabs, which do not have the same rotation or pivot point as the template.

sharkapps, hopeful and olix4242 like this.
  24. buc

buc

You can add interiors to a CScape city scene. But you can't do this to the CScape buildings. The reason is how these buildings are modeled. For opening a door you need to rotate the mesh-triangles of the door around the rotation-point. This is the traditional way how buildings are modeled. You use triangles to define where the textures (for example wood, etc.) get drawn and also to model the surface (higher parts, lower parts, etc.). With this technique you get very fast a high triangle-count and it's impossible to render a big city for realtime games.

Now CScape uses a complete different technique to define where the textures (windows, plaster, etc.) get drawn. With this you can get the illusion of a real 3D facade with sculpted decorations, windows and even interiors. The big advantage is that you can get this basically even on a plane with only 2 triangles. But there are no further triangles around the doors which you would need to rotate (at least in the traditional way). So you see something that looks like a 3D door or window, but technically it is like a flat photo. And everything that you would like to manipulate in this photo (like rotating) you would have to cut it out from this flat photo, which happens in the 3D model, by modeling it with triangles.

So for adding interiors you have different possibilities:
    - Entering every building seems to be awesome at the beginning, but is annoying when you realy want to play this. So just add some special buildings that can be entered (custom creation or from the asset-store) to your CScape city.
    - Or use a kind of basement shop (modeled in the traditional way) at the bottom and put the CScape building on top of that shop.
    - If you are skilled at modeling, you could also try to model a CScape building template where you put single cutouts on the mesh for doors or windows. But this would need to be matched with the CScape textures. And before doing this work you should ask oliver if this method is likely to be successful.

olix4242 likes this.
  25. olix4242

olix4242

Yous it should work without problems ;)

26. p_hergott

p_hergott

Perfect, i can do that. Maybe just stick a 3d model door on it, and use it as a trigger, fade the camera and teleport the player. Transparent texture would b cool too. I cant think of any other questions, the asset looks beatiful. Im pretty sure i read it does day/night.... ummmm the different types of buildings, i remember reading stuff about doing a post apocalyptic building types and sci fi types. Those are still in development?

27. Glitch12

Glitch12

Hi, can I change the design of the buildings with the ones from the old versions?

28. avivoren

avivoren

@olix4242 Hey I have a problem, that lights and trees are hovering when generating them, I need a solution in a week. Is there a way to fix it with the settings or I'll have to write my own script to raycast down ?

29. olix4242

olix4242

Be sure that cscape city is placed at 0.0.0 coordimates of world.

JBR-games likes this.
  30. Glitch12

Glitch12

@olix4242
    Why do not you answer my questions ?

The new version of cscape is very bad!
    Even the demo scene is very bad!

Maybe at least answer my question.

Can I change the design of the buildings with the ones from the old versions?
    I use the latest version Cscape 1.0.3b, Can I activate building design from version 0.9.5.4.

31. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry, I was away for Week end.

No, you can't. If you need that design, you have to stick to older version or skin your own design. There are too many chanes introduced, and there was no way to fololow old style desing. This was explained many times here on forum. But a new design actually has more possibilities and more variations, and it should look pretty much the same.
    Can you explain more what doesn't meet your requirements? Sayin'g that it's bad doesn't give me much of a clue about what is bad.

32. Glitch12

Glitch12

Thanks for the reply.

I do not like the demo scene, there are many buildings that merge, there are buildings on the streets,...

I do not like the design of the buildings, it's a pity that you can not use the design of the older version.

33. buc

buc

This can happen if you use slanted streets, an experimental feature. If you disable it you should get the old square layout and no buildings on the street. I'm currently also searching for a good technique to get a nice city layout, but nothing practible yet. It would need some kind of cage-modifier or something in this direction.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but maybe it is the same as for me. Sometimes the facade shape (front or lateral) and the subdivision shape doesn't match together and look unrealistic, for example when a neoclassical facade gets mixed with a very modern facade. For this you can select facade types that match better together.

olix4242 likes this.
  34. p_hergott

p_hergott

pppssst….. post apocalyptic :)

35. blacksun666

blacksun666

Can anyone explain how the lights work in CScape as I don't get it.
    The demo scene in the Street Light templates uses a prefab called Lights, this prefab contains a point light and CS Instantiator Lights script at it's root and two spot lights as children with different transforms. The script contains some variables Instances, Offset X Instances Offset Z width and Depth and a link to another prefab 'Point Light'. This prefab has a spot light too.
    In addition the LightPoles prefab listed as a Street Detail template contains a CS Instantiator script that contains variables Instances 3, Offset X 20 Instances 2,etc and a reference to a Lamp prefab.
    The C Scape LOD Manager script includes variables poles distance and lights distance.
    The CS Lights control script also includes a reference to the Lights Prefab, a relighting distance, lights distance and lights contour.

I've noticed that in the demo scene I have lights spawned in multiple places including outside the city. If I reduce the size of the city sometimes I end up with just one light spawned even though there should be lots more. I have lights appearing without a light pole and poles appearing without a light. I've been trying to get my head around all the above so I can adjust the lighting to have lights appear where there is a light pole.
    I'm also unsure if I need to bake lighting or turn on realtime/mixed lighting as I've read on the website that the nighttime view doesn't use unity lighting (although the scene is full of unity lights).

This asset is great but so much of it lacks examples or documentation ( including the source code). For me using it has become a game of chance adjusting stuff and hoping I get something that looks good that I can use, rather than using it as a tool to turn my ideas into a modeled world.

Several months ago we were told that documentation/tutorials would be coming. However since then all efforts seem to have been spent on a different asset. Any updates on when we can expect some detailed documentation and further tutorials? Please don't leave it too long, you will struggle to understand your own code (unless you have a copy that contains comments and is documented).

Sorry to sound off about this but I've just wasted several days trying to get something predicable out of this asset

36. olix4242

olix4242

You are taking a wrong way on approaching lights - let me explain: Cscape can generate realtime lights, but they WILL NOT work with a good performance anytime soon. It's not a limit of CScape, but it's a limit of a task of using multiple realtime lights. It can work for small levels, but not for entire cities. Lights spawning is an old system that I've made for first version of CScape. That's why I have came up with Re-lighitnig system.
    Two main problems are:
    -Big nightime worlds require large number of lights. Large number of lights can't be handled by Unity in realtime. 20 lights and you are out of any hardware budget. A city like one in CScape can require few hundreds of lights if not thousands.
    -Baking lighmaps for such big worlds is almost impossible. It would require gigabytes of maps, as the surface that they are covering is 3-dimensional. For daylight everything is simple. You have one light, and that is enough. For nighttime, it's much more complicated.
    I am sorry about that. But I got really frustrated by having to constantly run to get all changes and follow bugs in Unity, as almost any new version of Unity introduces some pretty heavy ones. I'm a single developer 'team' so it takes a time to follow up those things. New asset (Deckard) is also a way to support expenses of future developement of CScape.

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  37. blacksun666

blacksun666

Thanks for responding so quickly. I can understand about the frustration with Unity and the need to get something out there to earn some cash. Just desperate to make something with your asset so I can earn some money too ;)

Thanks also for explaining a bit more about the lighting system. However I still don't understand why all these lights (not light poles) are being spawned in the demo scene, some even out side the city, surely that is making the problem worse? Why would you waste light sources lighting up parts of the pavement as if they were from a light pole but not have a light pole? Does the demo scene still have all the old stuff in you referred to above? Do you have a more up to date demo scene with just the required parts?

38. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    I'm highly interested in your asset and I need to ask some questions before buying it.
    1. Is it possible to export building made with CScape for further modeling, texturing, adding interactivity. or make a building as independent prefab (and will it break shaders, parallax interiors or night light functionality)?
    2. Are building arc-tunnels possible? example
    3. How about weird shaped building? Can I make building with shape of L, П or circle (from top view)?
    4. I'm a bit concerned about quality of building. Do they look AAA quality from close up, like for a first-person game? Or is it more dependent on quality of assets and textures, used to make CScape buildings? Would be nice to see more screenshot from close ups.
    5. Any plans to make non-linear streets? Even as a paid addon?
    6. Would it be possible to share your roadmap, your plans for the CScape near future?
    Thank you in advance!!! and sorry if some of the questions were already asked!

39. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I am not the asset developer, however I have been working with this asset for about a year. I'm very impressed with it's ability as a city builder, ESPECIALLY for VR. One complaint; there is a serious lack of documentation, so look through this thread for a document I created to outline the processes. CScape is a large asset that **I** have not been able to find anything like it.

So, to give you some answers:
    * 1,3. You can use ProBuilder (free Unity asset) to make generic shapes that can make buildings. Check out his video here:
    I have made round/oval buildings, L-Shaped, U-Shaped, etc. What cannot be done is buildings that are different shapes alternating at different floors. (ie: floor 1 - wide, floor 2 - narrow, floor 3 - wide, floor 4 - narrow)
    * 2 I do not know if arches can be created.
    * 4 This is going to depend on the textures you use, the lighting,etc. Also the image/texture size is going to play into the speed/fps. So it I would say that it depends on what your game/experience requires.
    * 5 I have no idea if he's going to do this. I use Easy Roads 3D and wrote some code to place the CScape buildings along them. Besides, ER3D is AWESOME! (available on my github: https://github.com/Blissgig/Easy-Roads-3D-and-CScape-Building-Placement)

MorpheusXI, anton88pro and hopeful like this.
  40. buc

buc

1.) a) Yes you can export, but your exporter should be able to export all needed data inclusive vertex-colors, otherwise you would need to redo some work.
    b) If you want to combine with classical texturing you would lose all the nice things from CScape like, parallax interiors, window-lights,etc. and would need to redo it (meaning for the classical texturing).
    c) Here I've written about dynamic parts https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...uilding-generator.460380/page-26#post-4326445

2) One of the building examples has a squared tunnel, but you can round it like you have shown. You should add a vertex-color to the parts around in order to not get windows shown (they would be cutted out by the tunnel and look odd).

3) You can do a lot of different buildings/shapes with some limitations. In order to not get a door/window partially drawn over some building corner/edge all the "walls/faces" of the building have to be a multiple of the CScape-unit so there is a correct tiling. Another tricky thing can be how CScape "sees" your building and divides it into parts (start, middle, end) in order to extend the middle part for resizing the building.
    Currently I'm trying to get a more european styled city with "snaked" buildings. At the moment it looks doable. For a better look it would need a dynamic building where you can specify the angle at both ends of the building, but at the moment I can live with some not so nice parts (when you stare directly to it ;)

4) The quality is something that is very subjective, but I've been concerned about it too at the beginning and now I'm using it for my FP-game. Using it for a very good impression of a real city works very good also in FP-mode and you can go quite close to the building. If you are doing "microscoping" you can see the nature of the technique which is to extrude (stretch out) the details of the buildings just from a flat surface. But to be honest, you are doing this only at the beginning and you would see pixelated textures on a lot of other techniques if you go that close. But as mentioned, this is very subjective. With other techniques you would have their limitations, but in most cases you would not be able to create massive cities with low triangle count. As example 1 very detailed looking euro-house has only 30 triangles and the minimum I needed for the classic way was >4000 triangles.

I'm also not the developer, so it's just to my best knowing after working a while with it, but without guarantee.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    anton88pro likes this.
  41. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank you for the response, James! Would the code work with the free version of Road3D?

Thank you for suggestions, Buc! I was hoping I could do cut outs after modeling with CScape (like for a door or a single window). However, your options are viable too.

So CScape doesn't have built-in export option? I'm a bit surprised, other in-Unity asset modelers usually have such option. Anyway, is there any suggestions for the right exporter from the asset store (I'm not much of a code guy, I just prefer to buy easy and fun solutions, like CScape).

Thank you all for the responding. Seeing a responsive community is great!!

42. buc

buc

Unity has a free fbx-exporter. Depending on the used unity version: on older versions you can download it from the asset-store for free. On newer versions you should install it via the build in package manager
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.package-manager-ui@1.8/manual/index.html
    Check your version if it has a package manager, have internet connection on and give it a little time to load all available packages.

for the rounded tunnel: I'm too busy to have it tested, but maybe the inner rounded parts get automatically recognized by CScape as roofs (because of the angle) and could apply a roof-material on the inner side. In this case you can change the roof-material to a more pleasant one or use just a non mega-city material for only this part.
    Here is a beautiful asset close to your picture, but with a lot(!) more tris.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/106248

43. olix4242

olix4242

No, and actually, even with any exporter you can’t export textured and UV’d city, so it looses any meaning to do so. Cscape uses sano custom data like 4 coordinate UV’s and they aren’t available in any exporter but only in Unity. Also, you couldn’t create those materials in any other software as it requires complex shaders and support for 2d texture arrays (that aren’t supported in any 3D modeling app). you can export a pure mesh, but a usage is limited to a reference meshes for some modeling of another objects.

hopeful likes this.
  44. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

45. anton88pro

anton88pro

I've purchased CScape and while I had "wow" effect and enjoyed playing around, I've also found it quite painful to try to create a costume unique city.
    I've tried to solve issues myself, but could not. Here's the list of difficulties I'm having:
    1. How do I apply my facades? I've followed instructions "Step One: Facades. Optional" by jameswjrose and later clicked "compile only styles" and "compile only textures" under "CS Materials Tools" script, but nothing changes, no new window facades.
    2. How do I properly place a CScape buildings manually? The video tutorial only explains how to use custom shape to populate a city. But I want to take a building with all its CScape functionality and start placing and adjusting them. I thought, I could do it by just placing a CSscape prefab building under "CScape City"- "buildings", but it creates weird behavior.
    3. It seems like I can't fully control here even simple things. For example, a maximum parameter of "blinds open" will not fully open all the blinds, or minimum parameter will not close all the blinds and leave some half open. The same goes for lights - maximum parameter of "window lights" doesn't light up every window. Is there way to control it or at least remove blinds completely.
    4. How do I add and manage meshes like balcony? Seem like CS Array script supposed to manage it, but I could not make it work. Even existing array scripts is hard to adjust. I wish there was tutorial about this topic.
    5. Is there any way to control fake interiors? I don't see a controller, which manages what interiors to use or how random they should be (or at least there definitely should be such options). I can see interiors png files are located deep under CScapeSDK folder. Does adding and removing these png files affects, what interiors are used?

46. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

The images; "ent_001" to "ent_010" are used to create a single image array that is created when the textures are compiled. That texture is used to populate the rooms, seemingly randomly. It's a parallax effect and there are other assets available that do this. You can change the rooms by creating images and changing the files prior to compiling. Sadly, afaik, there is no way to make changes during runtime.

I created a series of rooms in Unity, furnished and lite them they way I want and then screen print the Game view and adjust it in Photoshop (this is exactly what I have been doing the past few days) That is all that can be done with interiors.

47. anton88pro

anton88pro

Sorry, I have more questions:
    Снимок экрана (817).png
    - As you can see, many windows here have rather very ugly textures. Is there way to change texture/color? or to force every window to have parallax effects?

- Correct me If I'm wrong, but it seems like front level shapes in CScape are limited to a pattern of door per column, while real life apartment blocks have only one door per building or a door entrance repeats about every 5-10 windows, which does not seem to be possible to make in CScape. Of course I could place door manually and make front level shapes as windows, but then I can't quickly reshape buildings. I think, adding subdivision shapes to front level shapes could fix it.

I've noticed there are also png.meta files. Do you know if there are necessary? Thank you for advising btw!

48. buc

buc

This should simulate curtains. You can stop/adjust this effect by selecting the _material_ (MegaCity1) and set the value mipCurtains to 0. Then the windows have all a clear look.

This controller is distributed over the BuildingModifier and the Material. Changing the value inside the BuildingModifier opens almost all blinds. Setting the value BlindsOpen inside of the material does the rest (a reason could be the tiling of the "control-texture" for the blinds and the different windows sizes and patterns)

This depends on what you mean exactly. In general I create a City with "enough" buildings, and use this city as a pool where you take the needed buildings place them to the desired position. With this you make sure that all internal needed connections, references and inits are done.

For a more flexible way of placing and adjusting buildings I'm currently working on an extension for "snaked" buildings, so you can create more european like cities with irregular structures. I've tested several methods, even working together with other tools from the asset-store or exporting partial work to blender etc., but nothing was satisfying, so I started this extension where you can easily add buildings and make them follow a straight or even curved path. With enough interest I could turn this into a product.
    If others have an extension for facades (as Oliver suggested that you can sell your own extensions for CScape), _especially_ for floor-level-shops I would like to buy them in order to save time.

anton88pro likes this.
  49. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I'll answer the last question first. You must be really new to Unity (welcome!) EVERY SINGLE ASSET, Image, audio, video, EVERYTHING gets a .meta file. Unity uses these, you don't need to worry about them (atm) If you change or add a file, Unity will update it's meta file.

I BELIEVE that all windows do have an image behind them, and what you are seeing may be a bug. When Olivers, the developer of this asset gets to you I am sure he can clarify or help you with that.

As for the last question, frequency of doors, again this is going to be a question for Olivers. It will be in ref to the Facades templates but at this time I do not know how to adjust the frequency of tiles on the bottom level.

anton88pro likes this.
  50. badradionz

badradionz

Does this work with LWRP?