Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. olix4242

olix4242

I have managed to get much better performance from foliage. It's enough to set KOD levels to smaller values. Also, don't forget to set them as static and use Occlusion baking on your scene. (I will set static from acripts as a default behaviour)

2. olix4242

olix4242

I curently have some big problems with my intrnet connection - last week we had a big storm here and a lighting hit near my house (yes, we had lightings in november here in italy), and destroyed internet node. And I'm still desperately waiting for my ISP to fix this issue. A bad news is that I'm not able to submit new cscape untill this gets fixed. But then there is a good news that I had some time before uploading new CScape, and added something that probably everyone wants - SHOP SIGNS - added directly via shader.

3. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I'd be happy for this to be included. I JUST added code that allows optional spacing between buildings (a min and max value so that the spacing can be random)

Here are some simple screen shots to show the code in action (prior to the new spacing code) https://imgur.com/a/zSB7dI0

I've said before but it's worth saying again; you've done an impressive job with this asset, be proud of yourself.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    olix4242 and CrandellWS like this.
  4. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

YEA signs.

Sorry about the internet issues. My wife's uncle was displaced from the California fires, and is now here with us in NYC, so I hear you about natural disasters affecting your work. No worries.

Italy? LOVE it. SO beautiful.

olix4242 likes this.
  5. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Oh my god, losing internet???? you must be heartbroken, I would be.

Do you mean to say that the townhouses is already included in cscape? or will it be a new asset?

6. olix4242

olix4242

Here is a preview of active Shop signs.
    ShopPanels.jpg
    Color combinations work by randomly assigning different color combinations to every sign.
    Here I'm using only 4 signs, but virtually we can add up to 256 different shop logos (on the expense of a build size - off course). As they all can be randomized in colors, we can have thousands of different shop signs.
    By default I will add 10 shop signs that should be enough.
    If you have any idea on texts to display, I accept suggestions.

Mark_01, Hawk0077, d1favero and 5 others like this.
  7. hopeful

hopeful

This is off the same random key as the rest of the layout, right? So if you use the same key you always get the same results.

CrandellWS likes this.
  8. olix4242

olix4242

Yes, of course :)

9. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

10. d1favero

d1favero

Good Oliver!! Nice results!!

11. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

If you take a look at my video:
    you can see your buildings in multiple colors. I did this by having multiple cities, each with their own color scheme, and placing those buildings in random groups. Is there a better/more performant way to achieve this?

Neviah and sharkapps like this.
  12. olix4242

olix4242

Well you are doing it right. But, a new CScape comes with some neat features that could help you in your case. Now some things like light colors can be controlled with color arrays that can be updated in realtime. One of those things is controlling the lights that were controlled before with "night lights" dropdown menu. I think that thiss is more natural way to do things/more eye pleasing, and that you can achieve better results than when controlling interior lights. Also, this will give you a smaller impact on performance. You can also control a new feature of shop lights, so this could give you a better customization options.
    We have limited number of options that can be customized in this way, as everything has to be optimized and has to meet needs of majority of users. So I have to make some decisions what features to expose and what not to expose.. This is a big problem, as I'm trying to make something that can meet needs of different users. Sait that, I'm not able to expose this feature for you, but If you are ok, I might guide you in modification of a CScape shaders with Amplify Shader.

hopeful likes this.
  13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

These sounds AWESOME!!! Not exactly what I was talking about, my bad, but AWESOME. The colors of the buildings/and the additional "cities" where so there were more styles.... but at this time I think I should reserve my questions until I play with the release version. Again, thank you for all your efforts.

14. Max1982

Max1982

Hi olix4242 , I sent you PM, please answer me.

15. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Max,

I saw earlier this week that Oliver is having internet connection issue, and he is the only person creating this asset (not to mention any other issues in life) so be aware of that in the timing of his responses.

Have a great weekend

olix4242 likes this.
  16. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    Oh .... I see :(
    I sent email on thursday and still without answer....

17. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

If you could guide me too that would be great!

olix4242 and CrandellWS like this.
  18. Max1982

Max1982

He answered :)

olix4242, CrandellWS and JamesWjRose like this.
  19. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

Good to let others know thanks.

olix4242 likes this.
  20. olix4242

olix4242

No problem ;)

21. Glitch12

Glitch12

Attached Files:

• 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      618.4 KB
      Views:
  22. olix4242

olix4242

Hawk0077 likes this.
  23. Glitch12

Glitch12

24. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Will you be able to add store fronts to existing cities?

25. DanielFF

DanielFF

Some news about release ?

d1favero likes this.
  26. olix4242

olix4242

I'm currently testing new features with some users - before uploading to Assetstore. If you wan't to try it, send me a private message with your invoice number.

d1favero likes this.
  27. Sovogal

Sovogal

Purchased this just to see the technology in action. Really impressive what you've done. I'm hoping you're able to release some customization tutorials as variety is the spice of life, and I'm very interested in purchasing city themes.

Quick question for you: Is the recent Megacity demo at Unite LA influencing this asset going forward? I'm curious about whether you've thought to enhance some of the procedural elements, such as creating points of interest, city "biomes" with certain building types being preferred, and additional options to break up the "squareness" of the skyline.

28. shredingskin

shredingskin

The asset beta seems to turn black my windows (scene, game, hierarchy) when trying to resize them, even on scenes that don't have a cscape prefab.
    Has there been this problem for anyone else ? (using 2018.3b11)

EDIT: Seems like it is another asset, just tried on a blank project and is working like a charm.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  29. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I am NOT the asset developer, but I have been a software developer for years and I can tell you this sort of thing happens WAY too often. I find that minimizing the number of variables helps a lot. In this case deactivate all other assets and run the game.... etc.

I'm glad you found the answer, just want to offer some insight.

30. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Oliver,

I sent you a PM a few days ago so I could get the current beta. I'm not above begging. Pllllllease?!

olix4242 and Hawk0077 like this.
  31. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

My city looked great before but now looks fantastic. Whooo. I just thought Id say,

JamesWjRose likes this.
  32. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

SO glad to hear that... now I want it more.

I am refactoring my entire scene, so it'll be nice to start fresh.

olix4242 and Hawk0077 like this.
  33. olix4242

olix4242

Sorry, I've missed your post.. will send it right now.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  34. olix4242

olix4242

Yes, probably that other asset uses some editor GUI functions that might not be available anymore. I have noticed that this happens when Editor GUI scripts have some errors.

35. olix4242

olix4242

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it. I'm also sure that you will like a new version much more, as it boosts performance and visuals and customization options to a new level. And makes really easy to make city skins.

We will still have to wait for Unity to finish a tech behind Megacity demo and see how it actually works. I can see a lot of objects that are repeated.. and overall, that demo isn't a real open world. or, it's better to say, It is at open space, but all scenes were rendered between walls. But it seems that Unity has added some nice optimizations like hierarchical culling and better memory management with streamed meshes. But, for example, we don't know if physics can handle those worlds.
    New version that is in beta (BTW, if you wan't to test it, send me your invoice number) brings some nice artistic control. I'm moving slightly away from fully automatic city generation on behalf of tools to customize cities with full artistic control. For example, a workflow that I suggest instead of one click generation (like it is now) actually is: click to generate street layout of a big city. Then adjust street layout by moving, resizing and deleting districts. When a street layout is done, you can add buildings to each district (by feeding data from different city skins). Also, there are some new tools/modifiers available. One of them is exporter for singular buildings. Idea is to use elements like in MegaCity demo, and patch them together one upon another to create complex buildings end export them for a later usage. I',m trying to make something that can be used with great control, as we don't want that all cities look the same ;)

Sovogal, shredingskin and Hawk0077 like this.
  36. shredingskin

shredingskin

You can see the Hlod they're using here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AutoLOD

Still (like unity these days), kinda works, kinda doesn't.
    It uses the unity's current lod system, so it would not be hard to integrate with cscape (hopefully), but it still in preview state, so you never know if they'll keep working on it, or change everything.

olix4242 likes this.
  37. olix4242

olix4242

Because of my previous experience, I don't intend to test half implemented Unity functionality. In a past I had some hard time and lost hours in fighting with bugs and searching workarounds for half implementations. I also think that at this stage of development (with a new CScape version) performance of CScape is so great that there isn't much space for further optimization, but there are lot of space for adding details without having a real need for a new unity lod system.

shredingskin and Hawk0077 like this.
  38. Rossilaz58

Rossilaz58

Looks great! keep on developing it and you could sell that for hundreds or make a game by yourself! Even in alpha, it looks stunningly realistic!

olix4242 likes this.
  39. Sovogal

Sovogal

I had the same thought. Lots of mesh instances through ECS without physical world presence. I did love how greeble-ey their facades were.

olix4242 likes this.
  40. olix4242

olix4242

Update on new version: I was able to do one new thing that will bring possible variations to the city to new levels. Now we can use different coloring combinations - I call it paints. We can define color arrays that will be used to paint on existing surfaces. To explain it better: for example, in real world we can have brick wall - but that brick wall can be natural or we can add a paint to it and make it have any other color.
    So, until now, we had a possibility to use 10 different surface maps that limited number of colors that can be used. From now on, we will have 10 surfaces that can be painted with 10 different colors for street level, and other ten different colors for upper building levels. This means that we are getting hundreds of possible combinations to use.
    Other than that, now we can specify custom map scaling for each of the surface textures.
    Also, I would like to thank those that are participating in beta testing by giving me some valuable feedbacks!

41. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I was'nt aware you had a Beta program Oliver, give me a shout if you want new participants. It would give me a chance to build a more advanced city for an upcoming future project by getting deeper into the asset than my current needs.

olix4242 likes this.
  42. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Awesome, awesome, awesome

43. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Hello gang,

I have been working with the CScape Toolkit and it took ME a bit to get it working, so I made a step-by-step so the rest of you don't have that problem when the asset is released.

1. Import asset pack: CScape_CDK_Texture_Sources (found in "CDC (content development kit)" folder
    2. Open the scene: "CScapeToolset", it is in the root of the CScape folder.
    3. Select the "CscapeBaker" in the Hierarchy.
    4. Set the lock icon (upper right) in the inspector so that the Baker does not move away as you adjust windows, etc.
    5. Split your windows so you can see the Game and Scene side-by-side. The Game window will show you a 3D representation of what it will look like. The Scene view is 2D.
    6. Set any of the 40 tiles as desired. (ie: add, remove, move windows and other objects within the Tile. Press the Previous/Next Tile buttons to navigate.
    7. Press the "Bake Textures" button on the SCcape Toolset "CScape Toolset Manager" script
    8. Switch back to game scene (in MY case the included CScapeDemo scene. I wanted to have a clean testbed, you do whatever you want.)
    9. Select the "CScape City" in the Hierarchy
    10. Find the "CS Materials Tools" script attached to the CScape City
    11. Press the "Compile all textures" button
    Hope this helps

44. Abarts3d

Abarts3d

Hi
    I bought your the city scape package.
    But is it compatible with unity 2018.2.19 ?
    When I generate the city I have this issue:
    upload_2018-12-11_10-48-16.png

45. Abarts3d

Abarts3d

hopeful and olix4242 like this.
  46. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

JamesWjRose likes this.
  47. olix4242

olix4242

I have just submitted a new version of CScape right now.

48. shredingskin

shredingskin

Any differences between the beta ?

49. olix4242

olix4242

Can't remember what beta I've sent you. But there are few changes like support for building color profiles, or disctrict style profiles, and some changes on shading - overall window reflections now work much better.

50. olix4242

olix4242

New version of CScape is finaly on Assetstore :)

rrahim, Aaron2348, transat and 2 others like this.