Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building [RELEASED] CScape - advanced building generator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by olix4242, Mar 11, 2017.

1. olix4242

olix4242

New version is online. I suggest that you update your CSCape to this one as it has some important bugfixes.
    version 0.9.5.3
    -fixed player build issue
    -fixed problem with some buildings that use grafitti even if they have disabled graffiti option
    -Added automatic UV mapping option - when making building templates, now you don't have to worry about correct UV mapping.
    -fixed bug with lighting poles not appearing on two sides.
    -fixed default building colors saturation
    -added parks texture and material
    -fixed import error

shredingskin likes this.
  2. olix4242

olix4242

It is available on assetstore and it should correct your issues.

sharkapps likes this.
  3. VE_GAME

VE_GAME

I want to buy this asset.
    But I want to first try it on my mobile phone.
    Someone can put an apk file with a demo scene ?

4. olix4242

olix4242

Hi,
    I can try to build it, but as CScape has a lot of options for optimizing scenes for different targets,I would like to know what is your target device.

5. k2so

k2so

I actually tried to buy this today and I couldn't for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow. It looks AWESOME and the reviews are exemplary. I can't wait to try out a Coruscant city!!! :)

6. VE_GAME

VE_GAME

Hi
    Android

7. sharkapps

sharkapps

I have noticed on the latest release that many "narrow" skyscrapers often have roof details that are floating next to them.

With a river and the road bridges, sometimes bus stops and foliage collide.

Other issues
    - Sometimes huge AdvPanels show up, but usually not too many. I did not get a screenshot of my latest one.
    - a few blocks of street lights are spawned outside the city (this is an old issue)
    - when rotating the city, the river rotation does not seem to inherit the parent's rotation

One thing I would like to see is more contrast between the sidewalks and the roads -- they tend to blend together visually as the colors are too similar. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere I missed to change this, or maybe it is just a simple texture change somewhere.

I would also like to be able to easily set the static navigation properties for streets, sidewalks and other city objects separately -- for example, i would like to set all the sidewalks to static navigation and "walkable," while setting the streets, buildings and other objects to static navigation, non-walkable. Also, now that there are different navigation cost layers, it would be helpful to be able to set street navigation costs separate from sidewalk costs.

Here is a short clip from something I am working on using CScape:

I am really enjoying using CScape in my projects -- it is easy to work with and beautiful. Keep up the fantastic work, @olix4242!

Best regards,
    Tony

hopeful likes this.
  8. olix4242

olix4242

android isn't a right answer. I have HTX that uses Android, but it's from 2012.. it can't run anything like cscape (it can barely run facebook 2dapp).

9. olix4242

olix4242

I will have to check this one. I konow that there were some prfabs that were gettin of the roofs, bu I've never seen so much of them. It looks like I will have to rewrite those parts of code.
    YouYouYou shouUntill a full sytem of raytracing isn't done, you can just delete those objects. I know that this isn't a best way to deal, but for now it's only way to do it :( There is no safe way of doing it anyway. Are you using a new experimental system of slated streets?
    You can control this globaly by changing AlebdaoCol value in MegaCityStreet shader (material). It's name is provisory (ando non intuitious), so forgive me about that._
    BTW, I like how you have integrated CSape with other road and terrain solutions.

sharkapps likes this.
  10. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Hi, I've just bought this tool. Since too many bridges are being generated on the river, I was trying to modify the River.fbx model without the bridge to alternate the model, but I do not know how to configure the new model.

Alternative_Riveer.png River_Models.png

Can you explain how to configure new models?

It would be very useful for further personalizing the city.

11. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Ok, I found ... Just export the models with the Vertex Map to Vertex Color option.
    Now works!:)

River2.png

The looks is many better, And the intersections are free so you can move around with a vehicle ,while before you could not enter..

Cross_free.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    sharkapps and hopeful like this.
  12. olix4242

olix4242

Yes, you have found out that you have to use vetex colors. They contain information of what is sidewalk, od what direction should have a street stripes.
    But in your case you could do it much easier without having to use 3D modeler app. Once you have your level layout, you can only delete those bridge sections that you don't need. Then use handles to expand neighbouring section untill it fills this empty area of deleted one. (all street sections are configurable, so there is no any need to make an empty section model - there could be a need only in case if you didn't want any bridge at all).

13. olix4242

olix4242

I have fiond out why this happens. Looks like an export problem. For now, I suggest you to go and find in your project an object named "CSTemplate27" and then edit this template by removing CSRooftops component. This shoul fix your issue globaly. Sorry about this.

14. sharkapps

sharkapps

Thank you!

Thanks again. I have adjusted that value in the shader before, but there are still many instances in the city where the sidewalk colors seem to be defined by the Sidewalk_Albedo property:

I have not had time to play with the "slated streets" option yet. I am curious about what it does though, so I will give it a spin soon! I will post some more footage shortly when I have had some more time to clean up a few other things in the project.

15. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Thanks, it was much simpler as you described! At the limit I will use the new model to make a more elaborate bridge etc ... :)

Another question...
    I do not know if it has already been asked, but how do I export the city in my games?
    Currently every model contains the scripts ... I would like to export the clean city without scripts in my games.

16. tredpro

tredpro

Main c scape GO has the option to remove the scripts

17. tredpro

tredpro

May I request the ability to change the height of the bridge? Last time I tried using the bridge, they were to small to drive the car under

18. olix4242

olix4242

They shouldn't be a problem as they arent activated in runtime until you don't call them with functions (that can be usefull sometimes, as in this way you could reduce a build size by not storing a mesh that is much larger than simple script information. Somewhere about 30 to 50 times). But, runtime generation isn't a suggested mode when running mobile apps (actually, it wasn't tested yet).
    But, if you wan't to delete scripts you can do it easily by using a button "Strip CS Scripts" that can be found inside CS Randomizer script. It will delete almost all CScape scripts (the ones on buildings - and keep only few important scripts).
    Note: by using this button, you will loose any future editing possibility. So do this only before exporting final scene (and don't forget to backup original scene).

19. olix4242

olix4242

I will probably make some new system for dealing with bridges. For now it would be too time consuming to do something like this proceduraly, and i think that I will have to implement a new system that deals only with bridges.
    You say that your car doesn't pass under a bridge? As I remember a bridge should be 3 meters high, and this should be enough for all cars. But probably not for trucks. I will se what can be done.
    p. s. I suggest you to check that your cars are scaled like they are in world. Cscape uses world units, and you should always use real world references.

20. olix4242

olix4242

this is quite strange, and I wasn't been able to reproduce this. Was this scene updated from earlier version of CScape? If yes, than it could be possible that for some reason it keeps some old values. But also this seems really strange and is quite wierd.

It is a test feature and it doesn't work perfectly, but it is a cool new feature that adds a support for angled streets and T shaped crossroads, and soon, it should replace a parallel street block generation behaviour, enabling CScape to do some more complex cities. But it required a lot of work under a hood, and for now it is more like a "preview" option for what will come next in a final version. But not all CScape features work with this (no support for trees, no support for Lighting Poles (still buggy), buggy buildings on crossings (but then can be deleted manualy).

21. tredpro

tredpro

My issue were trucks. Actual small vehicles were fine but the bridge is useless to me since only the smaller vehicles can fit

22. tredpro

tredpro

With the slated streets I have never had luck getting a building to show

23. olix4242

olix4242

How it's possible? Not even when opening a demo scene??

24. olix4242

olix4242

Ok, I will try to do some research on how to avoid this problem. What is your max height vehicle height?

25. tredpro

tredpro

I believe I tried a demo scene when you first released it thinking it was my scene but still had no luck

26. tredpro

tredpro

I think if the height could at least double it would be fine.

27. hopeful

hopeful

In the US, 4m would be too small (by inches) for standard shipping trucks. So 5m would be the minimum reasonable for scale, and 6m (or even higher) might be reasonable for a game, since often games do things bigger than life ... like carry heavy armor and missiles down city streets to fight giant monsters.

Bridges over water have to let ships through ...

28. olix4242

olix4242

Good news for everyone:
    Unity has integrated ProBuilder modeller asset for free. This simplifies modelling directly in Unity, and it works great for modelling CScape builiding templates.
    Also, I wanted to make a tutorial on how to make Cscape templates, but had a problem because every 3d modeling software has different workflows, so I had to made tutorials for blender, max, maya.. and so on. Now we have integrated solution, and I will be doing a tutorial next week.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/02/1...g-integrated-in-editor-advanced-level-design/

29. raphaelsanguinete

raphaelsanguinete

Hey, Olivr.

I`m trying to create blocks with less grates than the default amount, but I don`t know how to do it.

I tought it was in the "Street" components, under the "MegacityStreet - Shader".

There's a "GrateFrequency" control in there, but all I got was:

- All the grates, if that number were superior to the "faloff" number.
    - None the grates, if that number were inferior to the "faloff" number.

Is there any way to control the quantity of grates that will appear in each block?

30. codealtgeek

codealtgeek

May I ask what type of quality these buildings are? Like if you had to cmpare them to something on the desktop/console or is it just mobile??

31. olix4242

olix4242

Youn can edit Noise texture and parameters of "GrateFrequency" and "faloff" - this one controls mostly a frequency and shaping of grates. Here is a another variation texture that you can import, and it will give you a possibility to add some less grates for minimum values.

Attached Files:

32. olix4242

olix4242

Well, it is somewhat made to be a all-rounder. It uses a low-poly count models, but it also uses modern shading features like PBR and Linear workflow, parralax occlusion, and I think that there isn't anything like this available anywhere alse. It is made to look good but still extremely performant (and customizable).

33. davedev

davedev

How long should streets take to build? I have a City Size of 30 x 30 blocks and the streets script has been running for 12 hours and is at 5/1 Clustering | 4343 jobs.

Also, just noticed the CScape City game object of my generated city has a "Nothing Selected" script as its last component after "Detail Materials Tool" on the CScape City game object.

34. olix4242

olix4242

Well, this seems pretty slow. But this all depends on setting and speed of your system. A 10 x 10 city takes approximately 20-30 seconds (with default settings) on intel I7 sixth gen. 30 x 30 city is 9 times greater, so it should take 4-5 minutes on a same PC. But of course, you should also consider a RAM amount on your pc, and overall a complexity of your unity project. If your PC has to do any swapping on hard disk and so on. 30 x 30 is a huge city (it can contain almost 10 000 buildings and many milions of polygons). It is really hard to tell if there is some kind of a bottleneck without knowing exact system specs.
    But I always suggest to use morethan one sity block, it simplifies workflow, and works better overall.

35. staron82

staron82

Great work on this asset so far!

I have a few questions I'm hoping you could shed some light on.
    1. Would it be possible in the future to make cities circular in addition to the square system we have now?
    2. Is it possible to make some of the buildings enterable by removing ex. portions of the ground floor to make a lobby with our models?

Neviah likes this.
  36. olix4242

olix4242

Not sure about this one. Probably one day. But right now I wan't to solve some basic principles that will eventually let you do things like this later. But it could be pretty tricky. Anway, I'm working on some more organic layouting stuff, so who knows.

It is quite easy - thi week I will be doing a video on basic template modelling/editing with a free ProBuilder for unity, so you should be able to make buildigs that meet your needs pretty easily, and without exiting unity.

shredingskin, Neviah and tredpro like this.
  37. olix4242

olix4242

E new video tutorial on how to use ProBuilder to generate building templates.

38. olix4242

olix4242

I'm so sorry, but it appears that some floating windows of ProBuilder weren't captured. I hope that i have pronounced all menu items to select, but I'm not sure. I will have to check my settings of OBS (a software that I use for capturing) and come back with a better movie.

39. angelotokyo

angelotokyo

Hello Oli

I got problem when i try to save cscape scene (via the file menu ) before a build to reduce my scene size who is really heavy ( 533 Mo)

i got 2 cscape city in my scene and when i save , 1 of the 2 city disapears and i got errors in the console !

do you know something about that ?
    thank lot !

40. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Hey,

thanks for this awesome asset! I have one question: I'd like to use the demo scene in a VR project. Performance is most important, fancy graphics are a nice bonus of course. What settings (graphic and quality as well as lighting) are you using when building it for vr?

41. olix4242

olix4242

Ups, I'm not sure if this case was even tested. I willlook into this and let you know.
    But it could be that an automatic regeneration doesn't work: in this case, you have to use simple workaround - when loading scene in Editor, select a city that wasn't recreated and select a button 'Refresh'. Thiss should re-enable your city parts.

42. olix4242

olix4242

It's hard to say - and mostly depends on other things that you have to add to your scene. Right now, if you use a demo scene, count that it uses post Processing Stack, and a post processing stack is one that will give you a major performance impact. Probably, the best way is to start without using it, and see what performance do you get, and then activate - deactivate some post processing effects. different post processing effects have different performance impact. For example, ambient Occlusion has a great impact, while SSR is pretty light. Tonemapping is probably the lightrest effect, and Bloom effect can have really different impact on different hardware. CScape by itself shouldbe pretty light - and I suggest you to Bake Occluders before using it - this should boost a performance a lot on less capable graphics cards.
    Other than that, I suggest you to use one direct light for daytime (with realtime shadows instead of baking), or Re-lighten feature with few lights for night-time.
    As for LOD settings, it's hard to say, and this mostly depends also on what hardware are you using.

43. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Ok, thanks for the fast and accurate response. I didnt use Post Processing stack yet at all and will play around with your settings tommorow. However, when I was trying to generate lighting for a very small scene (3*3 city, no bus stops etc.), the step "clustering jobs[55]" is taking VERY long. About 5 minutes for every job, what would be about 4 hours only for the clustering step. Is that normal the first time lighting is generated? Usually it doenst take so long on my machine (I7, 16Gb ram, 10GB cache).

44. olix4242

olix4242

You are using lightbaking.. but a CScape doesn't requires it. It is made so that it can use realtime lighting. There is no any real need in using any light bakes. (one city uses a many meter squares, and a lightmaps baking would have to use much of a resources (RAM and VRAM). Turn off all baking in Lighting settings and you are good to go. Even if you use a realtime lights, you will get a good perfomance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  45. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Is there Mac Support for CScape ?

46. olix4242

olix4242

Yes. It should work an any mac without problems.

Aaron2348 likes this.
  47. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

I figured that, which is why I tried both modes. With the same result. :-(

Attached Files:

48. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thank you.

49. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

hey so i tried generating a city on a mac and the city is all black , any advice? Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.23.51 PM.png

50. rasto61

rasto61

whats you graphics api?

not sure what specifically is the problem in your case but olivr has made some suggestions for this problem in the past:

olix4242 and Aaron2348 like this.