Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] crossSection tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomekkie2, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I can't see any obstacles at the moment.
    I did some VR projects for GearVR and OculusGo, using Easy Input for Gear VR and Oculus Go from Asset Store, so I could test it in case of problems.

2. Alexey1B

Alexey1B

Hi, is it works in VR single pass? Standart & LWRP ?

3. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

This is a great asset. Where can I find the scene that's used for the Youtube video "cross section unity3d - capped sections - advanced setup"? thanks!

4. planetmatrix

planetmatrix

Does it not work with complex Biological shapes?
    My mac freezes when I try to run.

V-J likes this.
  5. V-J

V-J

@tomekkie2 My model has 10 meshes and 6 materials. When i select this prefab in the section setup script, I'm experiencing serious performance problems.
    Unity will freeze for a long time, about 10 min. What makes this happen? is it the complexity of the model (detailed mesh)? or maybe the number of materials?
    When using primitive shapes like a cube or a capsule it works just fine.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. planetmatrix

planetmatrix

Same here!
    @tomekkie2

7. jariwake

jariwake

Hello @tomekkie2 . I have a question: Now that Universl Render Pipeline will replace the legacy built-in pipeline, are you planning to update this asset to support it?

And moreover, will you be adding support for Single Pass rendering for VR?

8. V-J

V-J

planetmatrix likes this.
  9. jariwake

jariwake

10. planetmatrix

planetmatrix

Its been 9 days, No response.
    How do we report this to Unity?
    Either support or give us our money back

11. V-J

V-J

I think the best way is to give the asset a review in the asset store.

12. jariwake

jariwake

I already gave

13. abo_unity

abo_unity

How about creating our own community driven shader?

planetmatrix likes this.
  14. andresaboytes

andresaboytes

Hi, i bought the shader a few months ago, im trying to do an ultrasound simulator, the problem i have is that i need to slice the geometry but have different textures in each model. This happens when i try to do what i need
    Captura.PNG
    This is how i need it to be, this is just a quick photoshoped modification:
    CrossSectionIssueSolved.png
    Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  15. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Sorry for late reply, do you have your problem still unsolved?
    I would need to have a look at your model to find the explanation what is going on and try to find some solution to that.
    I keep on noting everywhere when possible, that models for cross-section should not contain intersecting or self-intersecting meshes.
    My suspicion is your ultrasound simulator may contain them.
    Basically the intersecting meshes require special, more complicated scenarios with more stancil shader passes. The asset actually contains a scenario for intersecting meshes, and the newest update will contain even more intersection scenarios, but these will work with single plane, not box section.

This is an example of mesh givig the secion image similar to what you need:
    tex_box.gif
    By the way I have prepared the update for 2019.2 and for LWRP, and I am going to submit it today or tomorrow.
    The above gif was generated using the new LWRP branch of the asset.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  16. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I have just resubmitted the package for Unity 2019.2 and LWRP support and hope it should get accepted soon.
    Now I am cloning the CrossSection project for 2019.3 and URP, so it should also get available few days later.
    Regarding the Single Pass rendering for VR - I am building the CrossSection shaders mostly on the standard shaders provided with Unity and my goal is to add the cross-section features and preserve the existing properties where possible.

17. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

18. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Apologies for not being accesible for the long time.

If you could give me your invoices data - I mean you and others trying to reach me with no success - I will try to arrange refunds and release free vouchers for the asset for you - if interested.

Regarding the complex biological shapes - it should work if the meshes are closed and do not intersect.

Frezzing should also be fixed within the newest update.
    The crosssection asset needs to calculate the boundbox of the object. This was being done within onValidate function in editor each time on opening the scene, playmode starting and properties reassignment in ispector. Now the calculations are saved and happen only on object reassignment. An additional option for faster although not accurate boundbox calculations was also added.

19. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

The new version with Universal Render Pipeline support for Unity 2019.3 is available.

20. Mr-Oliv

Mr-Oliv

Hi!
    Just downloaded the latest version, and I'm getting a bunch of errors in unity 2018.1.9f2:

Shader error in 'CrossSection/Standard': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Clipping/Box/Standard (Specular setup)': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTPROBE_SH
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Clipping/Corner/Standard': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Clipping/Box/Standard': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTPROBE_SH _EMISSION RETRACT_BACKFACES
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Clipping/Corner/Standard (Specular setup)': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTPROBE_SH _EMISSION RETRACT_BACKFACES

Shader error in 'CrossSection/Standard (Specular setup)': failed to open source file: 'CGIncludes/UnityStandardCoreForward_CS.cginc' at line 96 (on d3d11)

Shader error in 'CrossSection/Autodesk Interactive': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG_COMBINED_WITH_EYE_VEC' at Assets/Plugins/WorldSpaceTransitions/crossSection/CS_Shaders/CGIncludes/UnityStandardCore.cginc(424) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDBASE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTPROBE_SH

21. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Sorry. That might be because, while processing the update submission forms, I have got suddenly concerned by ever growing packages numbers and thoughtlessly depreciated the version which was working with Unity2018. I am just going to bring it back. For now I am sending you (in a separate message) a download link for that package, try that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  22. Mr-Oliv

Mr-Oliv

New package works great! Thanks for a great plugin and being so repsonsive!

tomekkie2 likes this.
  23. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I have resubmitted the package for 2018 and now it is available again.

24. Zante

Zante

Does this support multiple geometry masks?

25. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

This asset doesn't work by masks, it uses surfaces (like planes, spheres cylinders or cubes) written by math equations inside shader code and managed with shader variables.

Zante likes this.
  26. Zante

Zante

But does it support multiple instances of those surfaces? i.e; two cylinders / one cylinder and one sphere etc... :] How would you go about setting that up?

27. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I have already answered a similar question here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-crosssection-tool.223790/page-3#post-4028041

I have assumed that - regarding the cross-section - the most common scenario involves just a single gameobject like a player or game environment, which are built from a number of materials. In such a case we have one single
    cross-section in the scene at a time.

The surfaces (like planes, spheres cylinders or cubes) are written by math equations inside shader code and managed with shader variables. That means that you could modify these equations code and instead a single sphere, plane or cylinder (a cone would also be easily available) you can put a number of combinations or even arrays of these, like this example with cylinders already included inside the asset:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-crosssection-tool.223790/#post-2946245
    Then you could manage these multiple cross-sections using global shader variables.

Another scenario is to have a number of separate cross-sections on separate gameobjects. In this scenario these gameobjects use separate materials with cross-section variables managed on the local material level. We need just to slighty modify the shader code and expose the relevant shader variables on the shaders, changing them from global to local.
    When shader variables are global and hidden like in the first scenario - you can change them on all the materials that share a given variable using
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader.SetGlobalVector("vector", vector);  
    2. Shader.SetGlobalFloat("float", float);  
    3. Shader.EnableKeyword("KEYWORD");
    When shader variables are exposed like in the second scenario you can change them on material level, on each material separately.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. material.SetVector("vector", vector);  
    2. material.SetFloat("float", float);  
    3. material.EnableKeyword("KEYWORD");

28. WilliamCalleja

WilliamCalleja

Hello, I'm currently using the asset for some game-dev prototyping.

I am using Unity version 2019.3.1f1 with the Universal Render Pipeline. I managed to get the asset to function correctly up to a certain point, i.e. it is removing everything that is outside of the crossection box. However the red, green and blue cross hatching isn't rendering and my meshes look like hollowed out husks

What am I doing wrong? Why isn't the empty space being filled?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  29. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

If you could take a careful look at the Test GameObject in the Box example scene you could notice renderers using two materials; a "regular" box section material which cuts the box outside and a supplementary stencil material, using "CrossSectionURP/CapPrepare" shader. Possibly this is just what is missing in your setup. The hatch material needs mask written by this shader to display.
    In the legacy standard pipeline the both shader passes were combined inside the main shader. The URP does not support multiple passes, so the supplementary top material got applied. (Alternatively this pass could also be applied as URP custom render pass.)

30. UA_AV

UA_AV

The objects are showing up as magenta in color. I am using LWRP.

31. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

The asset contains resources for both standard (legacy) and lwrp (or urp) pipelines. (Lwrp or urp are in packed in unity package and require unpacking before use.). So when lwrp or urp pipeline is active - the standard materials can display as pink. These pipeline specific resources are grouped in folders with appropriate suffixes (like "_urp", "_std" or "_lwrp"), so unused folders can be removed.

32. Zante

Zante

This is great and thank you for the response.

Any chance of an example project demonstrating this?
    Will it work in VR?
    How would I have more than one box-capped object in a scene, similar method?
    Even better, is there any way to use multiple box caps with a fade/dissolve effect?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  33. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

I already have some own ideas - for the demo scenes in the next update, if you have some specific suggestions, I would be happy to know.
    I didn't check, but expect so, because the cross-section shaders are based on standard shaders which do work in vr.
    Either by modifying section_clipping_CS.cginc; replacing the box by array of boxes and controlling it globally by GlobalVectorArray's or by applying multiple per box materials, exposing shader variables and controlling material variables on the material level.
    Please tell first how do you specifically imagine using single box caps with fade/dissolve effect, then I will think how to multiplicate.

34. WilliamCalleja

WilliamCalleja

Hi there, first of all thanks a lot for the response. I've investigated my project and indeed I was missing those things. I've made sure that my objects all use two materials, one is the crosssectionurp/capprepare and the other uses the clipping one like in the example. So the following happened.

For the X (red) and the Y (green) axis the hatching is appearing, at least partially. it displays correctly for the most part but intersecting meshes create empty voids like a glitch. As for the Z (blue) axis, the hatching is not appearing at all. I tried to run the example scene that comes packaged with the asset and even in the example scene I'm getting the same glitch i.e. the Z axis doesn't display the blue cross section. Additionally in the example scene the controls to click and resize the box don't seem to work correctly. The X and Y move but only one side responds to mouse clicks and the Z axis cannot be clicked on at all.

35. gregorydowning

gregorydowning

I ran into a problem that is impacting my productivity, I can't see the effect until I hit play in the editor. When I hit stop it takes a good 2 minutes to finally stop and release the UI, slowing down my iterations. Can I get help here?

36. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

The asset generally is not intended to work with intersecting meshes. Try to remove the model intersections. The asset contains solutions for intersecting meshes working with single plane section, but that requires additional stencil passes or materials, in case of box section could be certainly even more complicated.
    Check the stencil mask and render queue values for blue hatch material; should be the same as green and red that you say are appearing or try to manipulate with these values, or reload that material from the asset package.
    You can also send me a package with your scene to check.
    The example scenes should work correctly like they do in the webgl demo. Try to reload the asset or just the scene, capped box prefab and materials.

37. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Does that happen in any of the asset demo scenes? Please tell more about the scene setup, unity version, render pipeline.

38. gregorydowning

gregorydowning

Thanks for looking into this tomekkie2. I am using Unity 2019.2.17f1. Universal render pipeline. On double checking it is not happening with the demo scene. I have tried to make a SteamVR version of a simple scene and a web version of a simple scene and have had this problem in both.

I have a rotating model of an interior and I just want to set a static cross section plane in the middle of it. The steps I have done are to:

• Add your crossSection version of the unlit texture material to the interior model.
    • Brought in a copy of your Planar_xyzSectionGUI object and deleted all the UI stuff under it. Added my model to the Section Setup Script.
    • Added an Event System
    • Added a plane for the cross section with the Gismo Follow script on it.
    The cross section effect is working, the only problem is the long delay.

39. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

This is an unintended behavior and it is my fault.
    Please go to the 71 line of the SectionSetup.cs script and remove this:
    model.transform.hasChanged||
    This expression doesn't work as I expected and I didn't test it.
    - or alternatively uncheck the AccurateBound bool on this script in the scene.
    Your GameObject is probably a bit heavy and the script calculates its bounds for the GUI sliders and that is just taking time.
    But if it's static it is enough to calculate it once and store the value until the GameObject changes.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    I am going to update this soon.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  40. gregorydowning

gregorydowning

That did the trick! Thanks so much.

tomekkie2 likes this.
  41. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

image_0000023.jpg

I was just testing the self contained meshes setup on these self-contained cylinders. Is that worth to include that into the asset package?

image_0000024.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  42. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @tomekkie2 , I've just bought this asset and it looks great but I am wondering how to make a sphere prefab which I can then move around the scene and it will clip/make a hole in any mesh it is intersecting? Also is it possible to have it only intersect certain meshes eg. those with a specific tag or physics layer?

43. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

You have just to apply the cross-section materials to the meshes you want to be affected by clipping.
    Then the sphere prefab could be just an empty GameObject with the GizmoFollow.cs script attached - to update the global shader clipping variables according to actual position and radius.
    If you need the section surface to be textured or hatched you would also have to add a sphere to it and use stencil shaders, like in capped section examples.

44. Prefab

Prefab

Is there a way to create the clipping sphere as a standalone gameobject without needing to change the materials of the meshes to be affected? I just already have a specific material created for the mesh which I need to use.

45. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

If you already have a specific shader, a way could be to duplicate it and edit the duplicate.
    Then leave the original shader on the objects you don't want to get clipped, and edit the duplicate by pasting some code snippets from the cross-section shaders. And apply the duplicate to the objects you want to be clipped.
    I could try to help you with this modification if you like.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  46. Prefab

Prefab

Ok sure I will see how straight forward it is to combine the shaders. Which shader is the sphere clip one since I couldn't find one by this name and there are quite a few?

47. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

These with:
    #pragma multi_compile /*...*/  FADE_SPHERE 

in the code

or - if URP shader graphs - these with _CLIP_SPHERE boolean variable on the shader graph blackboard.

You can send me your shader as post attachment or in mail or pm so I could take a look.

48. Prefab

Prefab

Thank you that's ok, I should be able to put it together. ;)

49. AVL_OD1

AVL_OD1

Hi,

As written in the Documentation the Legacy Image Effects from Unity is required for the Outline effect to work. I would really like to use the shader with an outline effect, but the Legacy Image Effects is deprecated and can't be downloaded from the asset store anymore.
    is there an alternative to get it to work?

50. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Sorry, this info is actually not accurate.
    Basically I am using just one single script from Legacy Image Effects (in case of strandard Legacy render pipeline), but I have finally renamed it to prevent any conflicts and included inside the recent asset updates, so no additional downloads are needed.

unityunity