Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. NAiLz

NAiLz

Post some audio of your band @reuno !

2. cg_destro

cg_destro

3. The_Daleatron

The_Daleatron

Any time my player touches the end bottom edge of a box collider/poly collider it kills the player, is this a bug or what ?

4. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

5. will_brett

will_brett

Can this be used with the puppet2d system? My sprite art skills are pretty lacking but feel confident with puppet2d

6. kindel

kindel

@reuno The update is awesome indeed, i very much like the Jet-pack functionality you added.
    I was playing around with it and I found the default controls to be a little awkward on mobile and wanted to exchange the arrows for a Joystick from the Standard Assets pack.
    Can I change the arrows to a joystick and preserve have the same behavior from the player?
    Basically exchange the default arrows for standard joystick.
    I am fairly new to coding so I dont really know how hard or easy this can be achived.
    Thank you!

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

this toolkit is awesome.

But i have some question.

1. How can i add menu in the first scene. like...start. option, help, exit

2. how can i add map system or level unlock system.

3. how to chage charater

8. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Oh sorry, I didn't get that. I use Camtasia. There's probably (hopefully) a better tool out there, but it did the trick.
    @NAiLz > My band is called Uniform Motion, it's the music you can hear in the demo levels. You can hear more over there : http://uniformmotion.net/music/albums/
    @The_Daleatron > I can't reproduce that bug. It might be something you've changed, or maybe you're colliding with the level bounds ? Hard to tell with that little info.
    @will_brett > The engine works with collider2ds. As long as Puppet2D can work with that, you'll be ok. I think it can.
    @kindel > You can change the mobile controls any way you want, of course. Actually I encourage you to do so. The ones provided are just demo ones, I wouldn't use them in a real game. It's pretty easy to do, just as in any other Unity project.
    @shadow art > There's no short answer to these questions. None of these features are included in the engine yet, if that's your question, so you'll have to add them yourself. All of these should take a few hours to code, they're pretty basic.

9. kindel

kindel

I would like to change them as well but I can not wrap my head around how to do that, I looked up some unity answers and some forums but did not get how does one go about doing that. I played around with the Single Joystick asset and the Tilt one but in the end managed to break the whole thing 5-6 times last night.
    Whenever I import the CrossplatformInput form standard assets the entire input breaks and stops working all together.
    As I said, I am very new to this and dont really understand scripting that much.
    Maybe if you can just point me in the right direction on how to get started for this.
    Thank you.

10. reuno

reuno

@kindel > There is no easy / zero coding involved way to do this that I know of.
    Using the standard cross platform input assets looks like a good start (that's what I use), but it'll involve coding.
    I've found them easy to implement and modify. I think there's a documentation available for these, maybe that'd be a good start ?

If you really don't want to get into code, maybe look at mobile input assets on the store. I can't point you to a particular one, I've never tried any of them myself, but I'm sure there are tons of great ones.

11. kindel

kindel

@reuno Thank you! I`ll check the scripting API maybe i`ll learn something useful :)

12. will_brett

will_brett

Thanks! :D

13. reuno

reuno

You'll probably be happy to know I've just submitted v1.4.2.
    This minor release fixes a few things, the most important being the remaining jumping bugs, including the one @Mr.Stein mentioned.

As usual, it should take a few days for Unity to accept the release.
    The demo at http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit#demo is up to date (if you don't see 1.4.2 on the start screen, empty your cache).
    Let me know if you find other bugs. I'd like to have the most stable version possible before moving on to new features.

14. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

I played around with the latest version for about 15 minutes, I haven't found any major bugs and the mini-jump and awkward jumps on slope issue appears to be fully resolved. The only minor bug I found was a rare bug where the damage flash stayed red on the corgi or crate.

Other then that the only things I found slightly odd was the slope climb behavior I talked about 2 or so pages back and the character bouncing very quickly downward when he hits his head on a curve.

15. MarcusWatson

MarcusWatson

I wish more devs were like you :)

hodge_podge, KeepTrying and reuno like this.
  16. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

Found a new bug in 1.4.2 while using jump dashes in slopes. If the player jump and dashes directly into a slope, his character will go inside said slope and warp under it, just like it did with that 1.4.0 jetpacking into a slope bug.

Another minor thing a found that isn't necessarily a bug, is the player can still have 3 jumps when he falls off a platform without jumping. This could be a minor inconvenience if the developer wants the character to have 2 (or whatever value he sets it to) extra jumps when the player leaves the ground from either jumping or falling, but I see it as a very minor thing.

Great job on the fixes. You definitely deserve some time off.

17. reuno

reuno

@hodge_podge > Thanks for this precious feedback. I'll try and fix these for the next release. That last one (the 3 jumps when falling without jumping) ain't a bug in my opinion, that's how I wanted it to turn out. It's easy to change, but it's more of a rule, specific to each game. And adding it as an option seems too complex to explain.

18. zwickarr

zwickarr

hello reuno, can the character controller do a crouch melee attack? In the demo it seems to pop to a standing state when I melee from a crouch state.

...also, how about a downward melee attack? (think Shovel Knight, or Ducktails)

thanks,
    z

19. reuno

reuno

@zwickarr > Right now these two features are not included in the asset. I doubt they'll ever be, as they're extremely close to what's already there, it's just a different setting. You can easily implement these variations based on the melee attack that's already there. All you have to do is create a new animation, bind it, and move the melee collider wherever you want it.

20. zwickarr

zwickarr

@reuno -thanks for the quick reply! Does the asset package include documentation on how to add other custom attacks (for example)? I understand how to create a new animation, and how to create a new state in Animator but I assume your code is transitioning between animator states and if I wanted to add something like a crouch attack I would need to go into your code and look for a "crouch" input and a "attack" input to play the correct state? I'm not much of a coder so I'm poking around this to see how much coding I will need to modify/add.

Thanks for your time!

z

21. reuno

reuno

@zwickarr > There's not a specific documentation on how to add other custom attacks. Again, that's very specific. What I recommend is having a look at how the melee attack works (that's a very simple script, look for MeleeWeapon.cs), and copying it and expanding on that. All classes are documented, that one included, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'd like to point out the fact that you probably won't do much without code, and if you really don't want to code at all, don't buy this asset. However, if you're willing to learn and at least code a little, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

22. zwickarr

zwickarr

@reuno - Thanks for that honest answer! Ill think ill give it a shot!

23. killerbake

killerbake

@reuno everything seems to be working great in the new update. Hope your tour went well and I'm very excited to see where you are going with this engine.

I have a question about the MP aspect you and your friend are coming up with. Now when you release the MP component I'm going to assume that it will be a separate asset. Which I'm all about, you deserve more $$$. Now my question is, could you while designing it, make it compatible with this asset? As to say that I could load up my main menu, hit Multiplayer and it would load into your MP version. Then I could hit Single player on the MP main menu and it loads into this asset. Kinda how COD works with its SP/MP Engine switching.

24. reuno

reuno

@killerbake > Yes, the tour went very well, thanks, it was lots of fun.

About the multiplayer : we're still working on it (I'm actually the one slowing it down these days, I think it'll be ready in a month or two). The idea is that it's going to be based on the Corgi Engine, in that it will reuse some of its core classes (mainly everything that handles player collision/movement). It won't include things like water, jumper, etc, so it remains focused on the network code, and doesn't become too confusing, but these should be compatible.

It's going to basically be SP and MP, each with dedicated features more likely to be found in each type of game (dialogues will mainly pop up in SP, while taunts (for example) will be more of a MP feature). I can't guarantee EVERYTHING will be 100% compatible out of the box in v1, but that's something we'll try and manage as much as possible.

So to answer your question, you should be able to do exactly what you want if you have both assets :)

25. JohnWick

JohnWick

@reuno
    What about earning money with this asset?

I mean for example - I'm gonna change almost everything and I wanna make paid game. Is it problem for you or not?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  26. eridani

eridani

In the demo, when the character lands on top of a wooden box, he goes crazy in a cloud of dust

27. reuno

reuno

@eridani > Yup, that's been fixed already. Thanks for spotting this.
    @JohnWick > You can reuse the code in any game you want (paid or not).
    The visual assets you should replace, they're just placeholders, but I won't sue you for reusing the crate sprite.
    The music can't be reused in any way.
    And you can't repack, distribute or sell part or all of the asset's code, visuals or other resources on the asset store or anywhere. I think that's standard for most assets on the Unity Asset Store.

28. reuno

reuno

Just a heads up : Unity has validated the 1.4.2 update, which fixes a few jumping bugs.
    You should be able to get it from the Asset Store now.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617

I'm working hard on 1.5. I'll post some screenshots soon, but it's going to be a pretty big update, with lots of different new stuff :)

KeepTrying and cg_destro like this.
  29. sirio21

sirio21

tmx (tiled) file loader support?

30. Hessian4Hire

Hessian4Hire

Is there anyway to disable the bounce back your character gets when he hits a ceiling? Every time I hit my characters head on a ceiling or try climbing a wall, I get thrown through the floor and out of the map because the bounce back from hitting my head.

31. reuno

reuno

@sirio21 > If you're asking if the Corgi Engine can work with tile based levels, then yes. All you have to do is make sure your tiles are set properly, with the right colliders.
    @Hessian4Hire > "out of the map" ? That sure is weird. Does that happen to you on the demo levels ? I haven't been able to reproduce it and you're the first to mention this.

32. sirio21

sirio21

I ask if you plan add support on corgi with a file loader (tmx) class (into the engine), or if it can need implemened by us.

33. reuno

reuno

34. snake77jt

snake77jt

what are you planning for the new update?

35. Hessian4Hire

Hessian4Hire

@reuno sorry I should have said it throws him through the first collider he hits after he hits his head and is bounced down. After he goes through the first collider, if there is another one below he will stop. But all collision is ignored on the first collider. The "bouncing" happens on the demo levels but he doesn't get thrown through a collider. I will take some screen shots to show you what is happening.(Ignore Grouncheck, its for a whole different script and ignore the collider poking into the wall, its just my weapons trigger collider) It also happens if I place myself between a wall and the ground.
    Screenshot (19).png

If I make no movement, he stands there just fine, but If I decide to turn around and walk away, he gets shot through the collider he is standing on. Screenshot (20).png This same bug happens when I am wall clinging as well. If he is clinging to a wall and I try to jump, he once again gets thrown through the colliders. Its really strange and Ive tried recreating it using physics based movement and the same thing happens when I clip two colliders together or store one collider inside another. so I believe its coming from the raycasts from the corgi controller, as they act as the collider for the character. I think what is happening is the ray casts clip through the collider im wedged against and when I update the movement, the raycasts "Push" against the collider and send me on my way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  36. reuno

reuno

@Hessian4Hire > Alright, thanks for the screenshots.
    Hard to tell without fiddling with it, but the "if I decide to turn around and walk away" makes me think that perhaps your character's collider is not properly centered. Right now you must have the collider centered on your transform, at least horizontally. If it's not centered, when you "turn around", the collider gets flipped according to that offset center, and gets inside the wall. That'd be my best guess. Let me know if that helps.

37. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > As I said a few posts back, I'll post updates soon. But if you want a teaser : visual effects, wind, dialogues (and other surprise stuff).

38. snake77jt

snake77jt

Thats one big update good luck lol

39. anukana

anukana

Hello, Reno. Tried your demo and found one bug. When you fly and press down you can fly any obstacles (teleport through walls, etc.) Or even outside map if it happens game over, character respawn in the center gliched.
    Will buy you asset in few weeks 100%, great job. Just now no point in gathering all money balls, no inventory or items...

40. reuno

reuno

Wow, that's one aggressive gif.
    That bug's been fixed in the next release.
    And about the "no point in gathering money balls", the demo levels are not a game, just a tech demo of the Corgi Engine.
    It's up to you to create the point :)

41. sirio21

sirio21

Any plan to implement mario block style? (with coin, or another power up). i'm waiting some other things to buy corgi engine (rope, mario block style, text/dialogue popups, key and chest, teleporter, pushable things and inventory system) (later achievementes, in game menu). i follow close the trhead. great job!

42. reuno

reuno

@sirio21 > Mario-style blocks weren't planned, no, but that's a good idea I guess. I'll add that to the todo list.
    Way things are going you might have to still wait for a while though, all the things you mention will probably take quite some time, but I'm glad you like the asset :)

Also, I keep getting asked about video tutorials. Here's the current "official" reply : I'm afraid no tutorials are planned yet. Mainly because I prefer to focus on content creation, and don't really have time for videos, but also because there's nothing really specific about the asset, it's basic Unity programming. You don't have to "learn" the Corgi Engine, you have to learn Unity. And there are already a lot of excellent Unity videos :)
    I'll keep improving the documentation though, and I've simplified a lot of stuff in the coming 1.5.

kindel likes this.
  43. snake77jt

snake77jt

Can u add enemy wave spawner to the list.

44. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > Well it's already included. Look at how the cannon spawns its rockets, isn't that what you're looking for ?

45. snake77jt

snake77jt

Yup found it thanks

46. jaelove

jaelove

Hey Reuno is it possible that you can add the Mega Man X charge shot?

47. reuno

reuno

@jaelove > Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of adding some variety to the weapons, that's a good one. Probably not anytime soon, but it's now on the todo list :)

48. snake77jt

snake77jt

Hey reuno, check out the game foxy on steam greenlight, someone used your game character and sprites, and they used it before me. Which kinda sucks because i was using the character lol.

49. snake77jt

snake77jt

Also, what is spine integration

50. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > That's funny. Good luck to them. I recommend using your own sprites though, these are just placeholders, I wouldn't even think of making a "real" game with these.
    And Spine is an animation software, look it up, it's pretty cool.