Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. chiquitae126

chiquitae126

@reuno hello,
    I'm having a little bit of an issue my player is not dying with objects that kill on touch... He just run right by them but I had colliders on them and the kill on touch script... Any suggestions...??

2. reuno

reuno

@chiquitae126 > Are you having this issue with the demo levels ?
    If not, it might something you've changed on your assets. I suggest you compare objects from the demo with yours. If that doesn't solve it, drop me an email on the email support and I'll look at it.

3. sirio21

sirio21

Ropes +1

Mr-Stein likes this.
  4. Plott

Plott

@reuno so i found out my 'issue' with the check points. It's technically not an issue I think, but i don't understand enough of the code to figure out how to change it. Basically. I have check points that are to the LEFT of the initial Level Start. So if you die you will spawn to the furthest check point to the left. I've been poking around, but i don't understand where I change this. Any ideas?

5. reuno

reuno

@Plott > You need to look at the CheckPoint and LevelManager classes. Send me an email if you can't find out where that is.

6. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

I needed something similar. and used:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. GameObject FindClosestCheckpoint() {
    3.         GameObject[] gos;
    4.         gos = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("CheckpointLeftSide");
    5.         GameObject closest = null;
    6.         float distance = Mathf.Infinity;
    7.         Vector3 position = transform.position;
    8.         foreach (GameObject go in gos) {
    9.             Vector3 diff = go.transform.position - position;
    10.             float curDistance = diff.sqrMagnitude;
    11.             if (curDistance < distance) {
    12.                 closest = go;
    13.                 distance = curDistance;
    14.             }
    15.         }
    16.         return closest;
    17.     }
    So basically you'll need to inverse ( < becomes > ) the outcome and you'll spawn at the furthest point.
    You could narrow the search by re-tagging your left-from-the-start-checkpoint 's gameObjects to fe. CheckpointLeftSide and go from there.

So inside the checkpoint script before you respawn, add the function. And that should get you started.
    Good luck.

JeffSLG and Plott like this.
  7. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Make sure your enemies are tagged properly and they are on the correct layer (take a look at the controller layers on the enemies (like blob).
    My platform and main layer is called shadowLayer. If an enemy or another intractable item is not on that layer it doesn't work (in my case)

8. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Hi Reuno, thanks for this asset, but I have a question:

Is it normal for the player to move differently depending on the controller type? ie. Keyboard and gamepad behave differently for me.

More specifically, when using the keyboard, there is a nice easing-in/easing-out movement of the player. However, with the gamepad, the movement is more jerky for some reason, like the momentum is cutoff abruptly. I'm using a logitech gamepad btw, not xbox (maybe that's why?).

How do I make the gamepad behave the same as the keyboard?

Thanks for any hints.

9. reuno

reuno

@blueLED > Well that's because your keyboard and your gamepad, in Unity, are analog. They give you a value between -1 and 1 (on the horizontal axis for example). The curve at which they give this value depends on your keyboard/gamepad. The good thing is that this is not specific to the Corgi Engine, it's really a Unity issue, so you should be able to find documentation on that online. I could tell you how to tweak a xbox controller I guess (that's what the engine is setup for), but not knowing your controller it's gonna be hard.

10. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Ok thanks, I'll check into that.

11. dsabatier

dsabatier

Thanks @reuno ! I will likely give it a try and report back so at least others looking for the same info may see.

12. Meowx

Meowx

Absolutely fantastic looking. Planning on picking this up shortly. Question: if/when you release new features for the engine, are those of us who have already purchased it free to download the new build or would we have to re-purchase it?

13. reuno

reuno

All upgrades are free, so when new features arrive (I've been trying to update monthly since the release), you get these updates for free, no need to re-purchase :)

Meowx likes this.
  14. Meowx

Meowx

Awesome! I look forward to working with your engine!

15. Glock113

Glock113

Hey @reuno, You've created a very awesome platform for us to begin using and I'm wondering if you plan on supporting different input managers like Rewired or InControl for better input management?

I'm going to be working on updating my copy to use Rewired and would be happy to share with you so the community in general can use it if they like.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us and responding so quick,

16. reuno

reuno

@richard113 > There's no plan right now to support other assets (input managers or others). There are just way too many :) Instead I'd rather provide documentation and a system easy enough so you can plug anything you want to it, without too much hassle. I think input in particular would be pretty easy to remap with another asset.
    What you should do is extend the engine's InputManager. If you do and are willing to share it you're more than welcome :)

17. davii

davii

Hey,

Can I ask if this multilayer will come with an enemy ai for a single player option? Like just the main player v an enemy that will attack you - like in the video but not online.

18. reuno

reuno

@davll > That's not planned but that'd be a nice addition. I'll think about it.

19. davii

davii

Thanks for the quick reply. Can I just ask if anything like that is available in the single version of the asset? Or if there's currently anyway to get a player v enemy ai? I know you have basic enemies, but one that will like follow you and kill you, that kinda thing. If not, will that be available at any point?

20. reuno

reuno

@davll > There are currently a number of AI scripts included in the Corgi Engine.
    As described over there : http://www.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-best-unity-2d-platformer
    Right now you can have enemies move around, avoid holes, jump over obstacles, follow you, etc...
    It's all pretty basic but it does the trick as far as platformer games go. I'm not exactly sure what you're after but what's in the asset covers most behaviors from enemies in "regular" platformers (from Mario to Broforce for example).

21. Count-Swagula

Count-Swagula

Liking the package so far, but would it be easier to wall jump if there was an option to flip the sprite/model after you wall jump so you can jump up pairs of walls. The default state of being able to climb walls is nice too. I am putting this functionality in my game now so I can do super meat boy style jumps easier.

22. reuno

reuno

@Count Swagula > You can actually jump up pairs of walls via walljumping with the default settings.
    There are examples in this video
    (look around the 2:00 time mark).
    I tried to implement it the way it works in games like Super Metroid and the likes.
    But you could of course extend the CharacterBehavior class and implement it differently if you like, all the methods are there to automate the flip (just call Flip() actually :) ).

23. Count-Swagula

Count-Swagula

Ah, that's cool. So there is a built in Flip() function that I can call in the asset? I was going to put it in myself but if it's already in there that is great! I will just call that function whenever I wall jump. I am trying to make my game really fast paced and smooth so it feels like a lot of the movement is automated for the player.

Great asset so far.

24. reuno

reuno

@Count Swagula > There is indeed a Flip() method on CharacterBehavior. I suggest using it as it doesn't just flip the sprite, but also its parts, and does some other stuff. You should have a look at the documentation, there are a lot of useful methods there. Good luck on your game :)

25. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Hi again,

I'm wondering if this a bug that's recreatable on your end. Basically, when you approach a ladder (from above or below, but usually it happens from above) and start climbing, the player continues to walk/move for about 0.5-1 sec before switching to the ladder climbing animation/state.

The faster you move towards to the ladder and start climbing, the longer the delay seems to be. ie. if you stand still and go up/down the ladder, the animation state switches quickly like how you would expect.

Anyone else seen this bug? I've tried fiddling with the animation conditions and the CharacterBehaviour code, but can't figure it out.

26. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Yep noticed that too. It happens in both directions here. and is very distinct.
    Aside from the fact there is no actual climbing animation due to a bug in Spine software.
    I hope this gets fixed soon + subscribing to this thread as I've been searching for this walk / climb / walk lag for days now.

It's especially true here when you walk down a ladder and back to the ground. There's something strange going on. The character is in the idle state, the character simply slides to it's position. Unless you jump or perform an action. (does that occur on your end too blueLED?

Cheers

27. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Do you have any documents?

Thanks

28. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

It's on the main website if you scroll down a bit: complete documentation

29. reuno

reuno

@vi54 > Thanks!
    @blueLED , @vi54 > I just gave it a quick test and haven't noticed anything strange, but maybe I wasn't in exactly the same conditions as you guys. What could be the cause of the problem is the transition time in the animations (if we're talking about the spritesheet based characters, as the Spine ones, as you mention, don't have climbing animations). You could maybe play around with that transition time (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/080rzegk1dg57rw/Screenshot 2015-12-08 09.47.34.png?dl=0 select the arrow that goes from any state to climbing, and play with the little interval on the right side of the screen). If that solves the problem let me know. I'll give it a look in a few days anyway, I'm working on the next release right now, I'll include some bugfixes into it. It shouldn't be too bad as, as far as I can see, the state change is instant (at least nowhere near 0.5 or 1s), and that's the hard part.

30. Kanos

Kanos

Any clues on what is in the next release? :).
    I love this asset.

31. reuno

reuno

@Kanos > So far, support for 2.5D, and a few bugfixes :)

32. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

When I play with HipsterLevel demo, player pick the first mushroom it will grow but when player earn second times it will became bigger and bigger when the player earn more mushrooms.

How can I fix that?

33. reuno

reuno

@Charlie_T > Just modify (or better, extend) the SuperHipsterBrosCharacter.cs class and add a check on whether or not you've already eaten a mushroom.

34. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

can you write down simple code here?

Thanks

35. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

That part doesn't seem to happen for me. It's mostly when you climb down from the top.

I'll try looking at the animator again, thanks.

36. Kanos

Kanos

reuno,
    I wonder if you could give a hint as to how to spawn multiple projectiles from a single shot.
    I would like to have a weapon that fires one shot forward, and say one shot at a 45 degree angle at the same time.
    When I look at the fireprojectiles in charactershoot, it spawns a single projectile.
    Any ideas?

37. HeraticGalaxy

HeraticGalaxy

I have a NPC in my game which I have the AISimpleWalk script and CorgiController attached to it. When it moves however it doesn't play my walk mechanim animation. I set the speed variable to Speed and if I set it manually the character starts walking. Can you tell me what I might have missed to trigger this animation?

Also, I am having some problems getting it to move smoothly... if I start it on a platform that have small slopes in it, it seems to change direction too soon and doesn't go up or down the slopes...

Cheers
    Dean

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  38. Kanos

Kanos

Also don't upgrade to 5.3. The Corgi engine has sprite problems :(

Not the fault of the engine. I think it's a unity thing

39. erpatton

erpatton

Yeah, 5.3 upgrade made most of the playable character sprites invisible :(

40. reuno

reuno

Hi all,

Sorry about the late reply, I was off for a few days.
    @Charlie_T > No, I'm afraid I don't have time to write your code for you. Imagine if everybody asked me to code their own features. I'm happy to help, but really here you have one simple if to write, I'm sure you'll manage. Send me an email on the support email if you really get stuck.
    @blueLED > Let me know how it goes :)
    @Kanos > you should extend the Shoot class so it doesn't fire one, but two projectiles. You have all the methods to do so, just call it twice :)
    @HeraticGalaxy > That's strange, there's nothing special there. Does this happen with the demo assets too ?
    @Kanos, @erpatton > I haven't tried 5.3 yet, but yeah, apparently there are some issues, you're not the only ones to mention that. I'll be giving it a try over the weekend, and if it turns out the issue is on my side (my guess is some shaders got deprecated in that new version), I'll release a fix quickly. In the meantime, I'd suggest sticking to 5.2 if you can.

41. sentensos

sentensos

hi, i have problem, after building, my character dont work, i mean the game scene is not working, its loaded, animations work, all good, but character is not under controll. In Unity3d i have no problems, i tryed build win build and web build, its not working, but its not the end, this problem happens usually, but not all the time. LOL[/QUOTE]

42. reuno

reuno

@sentensos > send me an email on the support email with more details (unity version, asset version, your target, etc) and your invoice number, thanks.

43. reuno

reuno

To all of you who may have upgraded to Unity 5.3 and are having invisible sprites in the Corgi Engine, there's a super quick fix : go to CorgiEngine/materials, select the LitSprite material, and in the inspector, change the shader to Sprites/default. You're done, back to normal :) I've just upgraded myself, and haven't finished double checking everything, so if you find something strange, drop me a line.

Of course I'll include the fix in the next release, coming sometime next week if all goes well. Those of you who were waiting for 2.5D should be pretty happy with it :)

44. HeraticGalaxy

HeraticGalaxy

Hi Reuno, yes, tried it with the space corgi and it just sits on my platform continually flicking left and right and not actually moving anywhere... I am guessing it has something to do with what the raycast is detecting

45. reuno

reuno

@HeraticGalaxy > No, what I meant is : does this happen with the demo AI, on the demo levels, without any change to them ? If everything's fine in this case, it's probably something you've done. And as the AI agents are working fine for everyone but you, my guess is it's something you've done. Without a screenshot or anything it's just impossible to guess, and you're not giving enough information. So what I'd suggest is look at the vanilla assets (assuming they're working ok), look at yours, look at what differs. Maybe you need to tweak the raycasts values in the inspector, maybe you need to set the layer properly, etc. Look for differences and you'll find out what's wrong :)
    If the problem persists, send me more info on the support email along with your invoice number, thanks.

46. amanbansil

amanbansil

Hi - new guy, getting started with game dev and unity.
    I have a question: can I legally use this 'engine' to design a game and sell it on the ios/android app stores?
    Your instructions said that we may not use the words "Corgi Engine" or the "Music" that was in this pack...what about other things like animations, backgrounds, sound effects, etc.

Thank you

47. reuno

reuno

@amanbansil > Well I guess I'll just copy and paste (for the 50th time) what's written on the asset's page then ;)

All music files included in this asset are © Uniform Motion and for demo purposes only, you can't reuse them. You can't redistribute the code or any of the content of the asset. The names Corgi Engine, More Mountains and Reuno Corp are copyrighted. Apart from that, feel free to use all code and visual assets included in the asset in your games.

Short answer : yes, you can.

48. Theo_R

Theo_R

Hi Reuno,

This may be a very vague/noob question and perhaps I won't be able to phrase it ideally, but yknow I guess just answer it the best you can haha.

Could you foresee any problems with trying to adapt the Corgie Engine framework to make it into a JRPG/platformer hybrid, where combat begins upon colliding with an enemy (or their attack/projectile) while exploring (in platforming mode) then teleporting you to a turn-based combat scene?

I'm very much considering buying this, it looks great!

49. reuno

reuno

@Theo_R > Well I never considered that kind of gameplay but actually it'd be a great fit. The engine even includes the "something happens when you enter a certain zone" classes you'd need. Of course it doesn't include the turn based combat thing, but for the exploration part it'd probably cover most of your needs.

50. Theo_R

Theo_R

Excellent, that's exactly what I hoped to hear : D Thanks for your time!