Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@fbqt > No, it's a C# framework, it's not meant to be used with visual scripting. And if you're a complete beginner, I'd recommend learning at least the basics of Unity and C# first, and after a few months, maybe look at the engine's specs and documentation, and consider if you need/want it at that time. Otherwise the learning curve might prove too steep.

2. fbqt

fbqt

Thanks for a very fast reply. I see, well thanks for your answer. I will look in to it. I have tried a little bit, with animation and rigging and so on already but I do not know c#. I´ve tried but it would take me a very long time to learn I think.
    Would you recommend visual scripting in Unity otherwise, since I´m an artist all my life but maybe too old to learn coding, hahaha. Maybe do both, meaning, be able to see the code as well while working with the visual scripting. Then I can learn while still building with my artwork, instead of struggling just to make a character move etc for 1000 years.
    I understand there´s Bolt wich now is built in Unity and also something called Playmaker and maybe more tools like that. Anyways, I thank you very much for your friendly and fast answer. Your work looks amazing, I hope to be able to come back in the future to be able yo use it. Also thanks for your honesty, I mena you could have said I should just buy it and learn c# easily right away. Appreciate that. Good karma Sir.

reuno likes this.
  3. reuno

reuno

@fbqt > In my experience there's a limit to what you can accomplish with visual scripting (at least if you want it to remain maintainable). I've found it most useful for behaviour scripting for example, where you basically just plug together at a high level behaviours. But then I know how to code so I never really had the need, others will probably have a different opinion on it. I'd recommend trying both and see what you prefer and what you're most comfortable with.

4. fbqt

fbqt

Cool. What I´m looking for right now is more a way of showcasing art in an interesting way. Almost like having a template and simply switching all existing artwork for my own, and then do a little bit of tweaking here and there. Or is that considered cheating, hahah? Well, thanks for your tips, I think I will try to find a 2d platform template and build from there in a simple easy way and just start learning, I guess coding is a necessity after all, after what I read and hear from most game devs. Any suggestions of a good starter 2d template that is a little bit more than the very basic ones in the Unity learning entrance you get when just starting. I have done the 2d platformer introduction and like to find something that has some more features, not only jumping and dying. Anyways, take care, I wont bother you anymore with newbie questions. I´ll get back when I´m ready to try your tools. Have a great day.

5. Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus

Hello Again! This may be a stupid question... but, I'm really starting to get into the flow of things, once I got over the character building hurdle, things have been great! However... I see there are multiple Loading Screens in the Demos. However, I can't figure out how to/if you can access a different Loading screen, than just "LoadingScreen". I have customized and set up the Common/LoadingScreen scene’s contents, but is there a public override, or serialized field in another class that I'm missing, to set a new string name in the MMSceneLoadingManager Class, line 43?
    "public static string LoadingScreenSceneName="LoadingScreen"; "

6. reuno

reuno

@Nelmarticus > It's a public static string, you can change it from anywhere, like so :
    MMSceneLoadingManager.LoadingScreenSceneName = "whatever";

7. Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus

Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, before writing a script to change it. Thanks, you're awesome!.

8. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Happy Friday everyone.

I have this strange issue where my character spawns/ or starts off facing the wrong direction. Could someone please guide me on why that may be the case? I know under Character section we can change which direction it faces, but it only has left or right.

I also brought in a fresh 3D model to troubleshoot, on the bottom right side of the inspector, it is also facing away from the camera.

I tried it with a couple of other models and the same thing happens.

Please see the attached .GIF for further clarification.

Thank you for the info, Cheers

Direction Issue.gif

9. reuno

reuno

10. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thank you Reuno for the reply, the character actually has a face, but the issue was that it faced away from the camera.

I actually went ahead did the "nested" method. I put the character on an empty object (Model Container), then rotated it180 to make sure it faces the camera. It worked great. Does this work around seem safe?

I have the nested method and what the game should look like attached for further clarification. Directionissue2.gif
    1.png

11. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > That's not a workaround, that's how you handle rotation in Unity :)
    Don't hesitate to look at the documentation I mentioned or the demo characters for more examples of this.

TheAPGames likes this.
  12. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thanks again,

i certainly go through the videos and demos to make sure i can wrap my head around the tech issues before reaching out.

My issue right is that the " Player " on screen left is the one that has "flip" turned on and the one on the screen right has "rotate " turned on.

The one where it rotates behaves wrong. It starts of facing away from the camera, then upon rotation, it just rotates.

I'm pretty sure that im not doing something right here, so thank you for pointing out my issues.

Cheers again Directionissue.gif

13. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > There are two ways for characters in the engine to change direction : flip (a change of scale on the x axis), or rotate towards a new direction. The NewCorgi3D prefab, for example, rotates 180° on its y axis every time it changes direction. Once again, I'd strongly recommend looking at it for reference.
    In the case of your character, it looks like you want it to always face the camera. If that's the case, then rotating it wouldn't make sense. Flipping it would be the way to go then.

TheAPGames likes this.
  14. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thank you very much Reuno

reuno likes this.
  15. Fagic

Fagic

I bought commercial version.I login ente my account download and import.the latest verison is 7.2.1.But when I import in unity it only version 5.4.Please support me.thanks.

16. reuno

reuno

17. reuno

reuno

@Fagic > Then as explained on the first item of the FAQ I pointed at in my previous message, it's completely normal. 2018.4's lifecycle has ended, the latest versions of the engine require 2019.4(.3) LTS or higher.

18. Fagic

Fagic

@reuno.Thanks your support.I have read FAQ and the latest version on run unity 2019 and i'm using unity 2018.I will update unity and import it.thanks.

reuno likes this.
  19. Fagic

Fagic

@reuno.I'm really only want use Room system which don't have on old version :
    . How can I use it (like a separate part) Room system on Old version corgi on unity 2018 without update on 2019 and the latest verison.thanks.

20. reuno

reuno

@Fagic > You can't use that system on 2018, as explained above, it's part of a release that requires 2019. Of course you could refactor it to account for the changes required by 2019 and the API changes it brought, but it'd be quite the task, I wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it.

21. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hello Reuno,

I have a little issue with the Gravity tool. I played with your demo, and watched the videos a couple of times. It may be a 3D character issue, but i doubt it.

I Have a simple level where the character is on a platform, then enters the gravity zone. It techincally should flip like your demo scene, but it sticks to the edge and hardly moves. If i dont move horizontally and jump into the zone, then it behaves fine. I'm thinking it may be a collider issue. I have a basic Box collider 2D and i even brought in your Gravity zone.

The other issue is when the player comes out of the zone, it flips to the platform but the opposite direction. I have attached two Gifs for further clarification.

1 >

2 >

Thanks Again,

22. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > There's no difference between 2D and 3D (and spine, and voxel, etc) characters in the engine, so it's unlikely to be your issue. But without knowing what exactly you did, I can't guess what your problem is. It could be your scene, it could be your character, or it could be both. I'd recommend comparing with the demo scenes and characters to figure out what you may have done wrong here. Pinpointing whether your character or your scene is the issue could be a good start.

Unfortunately these gifs don't show anything useful (gifs/videos rarely do). If your issue persists, once again, please use the support form and provide exact (written) repro steps of your issue, thanks.

TheAPGames likes this.
  23. Antsurkov

Antsurkov

Hello @reuno, i have a problem with file save-load system on Nintendo Switch. Seems like i cannot use standart IO methods
    As a result, i cannot use MMSaveLoadManager at all.

Instead of standart IO, i need to use methods from Nintendo SDK (like
    Do you have any solution for this, or i need to completely rewrite Save-Load code?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  24. enyevg

enyevg

Hello! How can i mute (or pause) background music track when Pause Screen appears and continue play or unmute it when Pause Screen resumed and game continues? Can i do this without coding?

25. enyevg

enyevg

Answering to my own question, i added MMSoundManager Event from documentation to CharacterPause ability and its perfectly worked :D

upload_2021-8-31_20-16-26.png

26. reuno

reuno

@enyevg > good job!
    @Antsurkov > I think I answered you via email already. But just in case : The engine doesn't implement any proprietary SDK. Unfortunately Nintendo chose to use a different API for saving/loading data, you'll have to implement these methods. I wouldn't say you have to "completely rewrite" things though, there's a MMSaveLoadManager you can extend to simply override its save and load methods.

27. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hello Reuno, well thank you so much for the information. After hours of comparing, reading and playing around with my scene and your demos and videos.... I GOT IT :D !

The issue was the 2D Box collider on the player. It had a Y offset. As soon as i set that value to zero, then lowered my "model container" group to match the box collider with no offset, it worked like a charm.

So here is the question, was this a good method to make sure my collider 2D has no offset value? and what if the character is more complex than a simple box? sometimes you have nudge things around to get the shape for the collider. What is your suggestion ? i knew this offset is gonna cause problems as i see the Corgi engine giving me the " Alert" , i just ignored it until it caused issues.

Thanks again,

28. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > No, that's fine, that's how you adjust positions in Unity, whatever the complexity of your character.

TheAPGames likes this.
  29. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thank you kindly.

Are there any reasons/things to look for as to why cinemachine virtual camera wouldn't stop at the level bound? The top of the level bound to be more precise.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  30. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > As usual, very hard to tell without any info. Wrong scene setup would be the first thing that'd come to mind.

31. RobbieLiverpool

RobbieLiverpool

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice/guidance, probably more so from the community that @reuno as I think its outside of the scope of support. It's to do with saving and loading progress - I'm learning c# fairly well, but I've still a long way to go and and struggling to understand how to implement this. I've read the documentation, the MMSaveLoadManager comments, had a root around the demo levels, had a look through discord and even read up on saving loading in general - not ashamed to admit I'm completely lost. I kind of understand some of the concepts but just don't know where to begin assembling things.

I'm making a simple room based metroidvania style game with a fixed amount of collectables (I'm using the retrostar prefab), checkpoints and unlockable doors. I want the player to be able to approach a computer in the game and choose whether to save progress or not, so they can turn the game off and continue another time. I want to be able to save the amount of collectables collected/remaining, doors unlocked, lives remaining and current position. Eventually I'll be implementing a map so rooms visited would be cool too.

I'm not asking for a full solution, just some guidance on how to make a start on this or better understand it.

32. reuno

reuno

@RobbieLiverpool > You want to save "progress", and that's really a lot of different elements (which is completely normal). If you're new to this, try saving one thing first, and then loading it. If you manage to do that, it's just a matter of repeating the process for the other elements you want to save.

33. RobbieLiverpool

RobbieLiverpool

@reuno thanks for replying, my plan was to do just that - get the retrostars saving, then expand from there. Problem is I just don't know where to begin to get one thing saving - do I attach the MMSaveLoadManager to a gameobject? I just don't know.

I'll spend more time looking into the overall concepts then maybe things will start making more sense.

reuno likes this.
  34. cach

cach

Hey, might have been asked before, but here goes.
    I'm working on a 2d sprite game that is similar to old classic Beat'em Up games (Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Double Dragon, etc). This means that both the player and the enemies can walk up and down the floor.
    I was wondering if something like that could be achieved with Corgi without any big changes, since it seems its made to work when using a more flat 2d perspective.

35. reuno

reuno

@cach > no, unfortunately the Corgi Engine is a platformer framework, beat em all are a completely different genre, with no overlap in term of core mechanics implementation.

36. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hello Reuno, Is there a way to troubleshoot the issue where the "pause" or ESC on the keyboard would not work on couple of the demos? My game and its input manager runs smoothly, and when you use the mouth to click on the pause UI in the game mode ( on the screen, toward top left), it pauses it but the ESC does not do anything. I noticed in the New Corgi3D, the same thing happens, but then in the older 2D demos, "ESC" works just fine.

Thank you for the information.

37. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > The NewCorgi3D character doesn't have a CharacterPause ability, that's why pause "doesn't work" in that demo. Feel free to add one.

38. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno Hello, I'd need some help on healthbar: even if I set LerpFrontBarSpeed to something really small like 0.01 it moves instantly to the destination value, but it's weird that LerpDelayedBarSpeed lerps as expeted. The bar is Drawn by Corgi.
    Is there a demo to learn how it's intended to work? Thank you
    Edit: after some attempts, something it's not working with my installation maybe: keeping reasonable speeds, the front is mostly instant and the back is fine, or the front is fine and the back is too much slow. Tried with different TimeScale too.
    Fixed: it was about the Unity Fixed timestamp parameter... its default value is 0.02 and my LerpFrontBarSpeed was <=2 in every attempt :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    reuno likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > Yes, as the name implies, the LoadingSceneManager is the essential part of the Loading scene. It's also the only script in it :) Don't hesitate to check that class, it's fully commented, fairly simple and sequential, and will show you how it works.

TheAPGames likes this.
  40. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thank you so much, is there any reason that my custom animation wouldn't play ? Its basically bunch of sprites. It plays fine when i drag one of the sprites into the scene, but not when it's under the UI group as a replacement of your animation.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMSceneLoadingManager.Update () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMSceneLoading/Scripts/Managers/MMSceneLoadingManager.cs:121)

41. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

I did notice that in the play Mode, in the animator, my animation does not play. Not really sure what is causing it, but by selecting the LoadingAnimation game object which has the animator and the sprites, it plays OK when its not in the Game Mode.
    Adding this GIF (not Play Mode)to maybe help with my question clarity. >>>

42. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > No, without any info or steps to reproduce your issue, I'm afraid I don't know what could be happening. I'd need to know what is null in that error you mention, and what you did to get there. If the issue persists, please send more info via the support form and I'll be happy to have a look.

TheAPGames likes this.
  43. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hi Reuno,

I managed to create everything for the animation from scratch and it worked.

My issue now is not having AnimationComplete. In the loadingSceneManager, there is a section to add Complete animation. In My case i don't have it and i left it Empty, so i get following error.

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable LoadingCompleteAnimation of MMSceneLoadingManager has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the LoadingCompleteAnimation variable of the MMSceneLoadingManager script in the inspector.
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMSceneLoadingManager.LoadingSetup () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMSceneLoading/Scripts/Managers/MMSceneLoadingManager.cs:173)
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMSceneLoadingManager+<LoadAsynchronously>d__22.MoveNext () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMSceneLoading/Scripts/Managers/MMSceneLoadingManager.cs:130)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <4a29708cee654ac0aca16c9d5624806a>:0)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    MoreMountains.Tools.MMSceneLoadingManager:Start() (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMSceneLoading/Scripts/Managers/MMSceneLoadingManager.cs:111)

I could simply add an empty object to bypass the error, but i intend to understand it rather than just fixing the issue for now.

How do i resolve this ? Thanks again kid sir
    Untitled.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  44. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hello Reuno,

I faced another issue, which may be just a Unity setting issue. But when i play the game in unity, and when i die, in my game manager i have it go to "gaveOver" scene, where the player gets to chose to restart the game or quit the game and it works fine.

however when i build the game, the player dies, the "loading Screen" just keeps looping which is not correct. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

45. reuno

reuno

@Aprn > I suppose you didn't add that scene to your build settings. But like before, without any info on how to reproduce your issue, it's just a guess. See https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildSettings.html to learn more about build settings. If you have more questions, again, please use the support form, thanks!

TheAPGames likes this.
  46. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Thank you, all the needed scenes are added correctly to the build setting. I will play around more to figure it out.

47. reuno

reuno

Hopefully looking at your logs will tell you what your issue is.

TheAPGames likes this.
  48. nick0937

nick0937

Hi,
    If I want my Player to Dash up the ramp,
    how can I modify the CharacterDash character ability code?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  49. reuno

reuno

@nick0937 > Dash is directional, it doesn't follow slopes, by design. You could extend it, and override its behaviour to do that, or you could use the CharacterRoll ability, which is the equivalent of a dash but grounded and following slopes.

50. TheAPGames

TheAPGames

Hello @reuno , Bringing on older issue up to see if there has been a solution for this wall Jump?

currently the character clings on the wall, but does not walljump.As soon as you press to the other direction, the character falls down and the Jump does not work.

Thank you