Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno on Rewired docs about corgi

Requirements:
    • Corgi Engine v4.0 (No future version compatibility is guaranteed.)
    • Unity 5.6.7f1+

2. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > From the feedback I got, many people seem to use both and seem happy with it. As I said, that's just one option amongst plenty.

luigi7 likes this.
  3. Askins

Askins

I have a feature request based on the Zipline feature, it'd be cool if you were able to jump onto any point of the zipline and traverse down from the point you touch the zipline. Pretty much like how it works in the Tomb Raider (2013) game where you can just leap and know you'll hit it, would be a pretty nice feature I think. I imagine it'd be a bit tricky to implement considering how the Zipline currently functions but it'd be cool if possible nonetheless!

reuno likes this.
  4. reuno

reuno

@Askins > That's a nice suggestion, thanks!

5. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

I would recommend Rewired for all projects - it's worth the effort to learn and, if you time it correctly, you can get it at 50% off.

You have to be familiar with Unity's input system, but, once you are, it's easy to integrate into any project - you're really just swapping out managers....and that's something you'll have to do with any input system, whether it's from the asset store or you build/extend it yourself.

luigi7 likes this.
  6. andrin2020

andrin2020

I am having an issue with the player character when walking off a platform onto another one. If the platforms are overlapping in the x axis or there is a short vertical distance between them the payer snaps to lower platform rather than falling. The issue seems to be related to the length of the downward raycast that is checking for the a platform. I can see the ray gizmo in the scene view and if a adjust the platforms to extend just beyond the ray things work as expected as it does if a leave a small gap between the platforms in the x axis. I can not find a way to adjust the length of that ray. It is currently extending downward about 2.5 times the height of the RetroCorgi player character that I am using for testing purposes. It appears as though this ray is calculated based on the size of the BoxCollider on the player character in the CorgiController script. Is there a way to adjust the length of this raycast in order to correct the player behavior? Or is there something else I am missing?

7. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > Please use the support form and provide steps to reproduce your issue (ideally in any of the demos, no changes made), I'll be happy to check it out. Right now I'm not sure what ray you're referring to (there are quite a few).

8. luigi7

luigi7

I've been lured to InControl as it's simpler and I have it already from an Humble Bundle, but I see rewired it's way more adviced. Plus, I tried and it's perfectly integrated.
    Anyway thanks for the advice: not sure what to use yet, but it' always apperciated to have opinions.

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  9. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Simple question, but somehow, I cant get it to work myself. How do I stop the camera from umping everytime the character jump. I am using MinimalRooms1 as an example.

So i want it to be like in Mario 1 in nes, where no matter where the character is in the screen the camera wont follow him.

----

Update I know that by default If I resize the level bounds to size I want the game to be, that does the work, but I is there other ways? For example to resize the camera movement to the size of the room?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  10. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > I'd recommend using the Cinemachine rig for that, and simply tweaking the dead zone to fit your needs.

11. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

12. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

Hi there, quick question. I am taking your RetroSwordsmanWithAGun, prefab, and just trying to swap it with some animations and sprites of my own, to test some things. But when I try to change the box colliders, so it matches the size of my Character, instead of walking normally, he gets stuck on the floor and flips forward and backwards. This happens to the RetroSwordsmanWithAGun prefab also if I dont do any changes. I have never experiene this before. I am on corgi engine 6.5, and have change many enemies, before and change the collider with no issues. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1my1XH8IZDiNxdkeO8qscI-djP7w-xB4C/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

13. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > Without detailed steps about what you're doing exactly, it's hard to tell, but my first guess would be that you didn't change the length of the AIActionPatrol's Hole Detection Raycast Length. Setting it to 3 (or any other value coherent with your new y size) should fix the problem. Please let me know if it doesn't.

14. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I basically changed the animator and sprites on your RetroSwordsmanWithAGun, and of course de box collider, and yes... that fixed everything! thanks!

reuno likes this.
  15. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hello guys!

Need some help with a feature. Using Corgi, what is the best way to trigger an animation related to kind of deaths?

For example: Our character is attacked by a zombi (death 1), but if is attacked by a vampire (death 2). It will also applied to mobs. If zombi receives a bullets from a shotgun (damage 1), if by a simple gun (damage 2).

Thanks in advance and keep going with our best dream.

16. reuno

reuno

@javi_unity402 > That'd require a dedicated system, there is no such feature at the moment.

javi_unity402 likes this.
  17. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Thanks @reuno. If I go deep with this, I will let you know

reuno likes this.
  18. xagarth

xagarth

Hey @reuno

AIShootOnSight.cs has a bug on line 79.
    If no players are yet present in the scene (enemies spawn before players) it will throw an error since LevelManager.Instance.Players [0] does not exist.

Also, i'm not entirely sure if this code make sense as it will only target player 0.

BTW, do you have *any* plans to introduce network multiplayer?

Bests,
    x

19. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > I'll look into that, thank you for reporting it. And yes, all AIs right now only take into account a single player, by design. They're easy to extend if you want to add multiplayer rules of course.
    As for network plans, considering the current state of Unity networking, I've put them on hold. Hopefully the situation will improve on that front.

xagarth likes this.
  20. xagarth

xagarth

Thanks @reuno !
    How about Photon networking? You have implemented PUN2 in High Road Engine, is that correct? What is your take on it?

21. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > While Photon is a great tool, this has turned into a complete nightmare. Too many users simply don't have the know-how and resources to do a network based game (it's by far the most complex projects), and completely underestimate the task, then complain that the engine doesn't have a magic "solve all my network related issues" button.

Emme73 likes this.
  22. AltIvan

AltIvan

Is there are bug tracker (e.g. ala github issues) where I can keep an eye on current Corgi-Engine bugs and their timeline to fix?

I just found another bug where if you keep firing while grabbing a ladder the character keeps firing until you release the firing button (of course clicking the firing button from ladder does not start the firing)

23. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > Again, if you think you've found a bug, please use the support form to report it, and provide repro steps, as well as context info (Unity version, asset version), thanks. And as explained in the FAQ, I don't give ETAs. That said, the whole point of reporting bugs is that you can get a fix usually within a few days, most of the time within hours.

24. AltIvan

AltIvan

Like a good project manager I need to always know what bugs the software I'm using has (even if they take a day to fix or a couple of months), therefore posting them here lets others know what bugs I found and (hopefully) I can motivate others to do the same because given that you don't have an issue tracker publicly available posting the issues here is the best we (as users) can get, not only for the trackability of bugs but to gain knowledge of the areas where most bugs are likely to happen and other insights that could prove useful to create a top quality videogame with the engine.

BTW found another 2 bugs, enemies like to keep firing when another enemy obstructs their view while firing the player, and this led me to discover another bug, the visual feedback never stops even if the enemy firing it is far far away, video here:

25. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > I don't think reporting bugs on a forum where almost nobody goes to anymore is a good way to manage a project. But feel free to disagree! Personally, I get 50 to 100 "bug reports" a day, and provide support to many studios and teams. And thankfully, most people provide context info and use the proper channels to do so, and that lets me provide them with quick and useful help, whether it's a patch or simply instructions on how to do things. This has let me deliver regular updates (51 releases over the last 5 years for the Corgi Engine), that always fix all reported bugs to date.

Also please note that not everything is a bug :
    - This specific AI in that demo simply has no decision in place to stop firing in that situation. That's not a bug, and you can modify it to suit your specific rules if you want to.
    - These AIs also don't have a decision setup to check if an enemy is obstructing their view. Likewise, you can implement that rule, out of the box, if you want to. And there's no rule in place to prevent that specific feedback based on distance, but that doesn't mean you can't have one if you want.

These are just simple AI examples, they don't do more than what they're setup to do. But the engine lets you add as many rules as you want, and if you need other enemies to obstruct your sight for example, that's built-in if you need it. And in cases where a feature is not there yet, you can request it, and I'll be happy to add it. If you need help with any of these, of course I'll be happy to show you how to do so.

As I've explained to you multiple times before, there is a support form, linked to a bug tracker, it lets me keep track of things, mutualize, and deliver fixes quickly. That's how bugs get reported. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but I won't be able to help you if you don't let me. I hope you'll let me :)

26. mike000mike

mike000mike

HI , i download the PC Demo and Run(https://reuno.org/upload/corgi-engine/corgi-engine-pc.zip)
    RetroAI Scene has low FPS 16
    Corgi Engine FPS.png
    Then,I use Unity open the RetroAI scene,the FPS is 16 too.
    Is there something wrong with my PC?
    My PC: CPU 3.5G Hz with 6 cores, 64G DDR3 Ram, 1080Ti 11G VRam, Windows 7 X64

27. reuno

reuno

@mike000mike > I don't know if there's something wrong with your PC, it's hard to tell, but 16fps feels very, very low for these specs. The next update will bring significant performance improvements on that front, hopefully that'll help on your machine.

28. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Windows 7 EOL'd in January....I recommend updating to Windows 10.

(just downloaded and got 70-80fps with a much weaker rig than yours)

29. mike000mike

mike000mike

I just test TopDownEngine Demo, about 150 FPS:confused::confused::confused:

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@mike000mike > I tested RetroAI on an old laptop yesterday, got a strong 60fps. You may want to try on other computers. Could be a Windows 7 issue, I suppose.

31. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno > Hello, I'd like to have multiple kind of attacks, one per button, every button has its own different input: is it enough just to map every attack to a different CharacterHandleWeapon overriding HandleInput()? In this case, is every attack mutually excusive or I'll need some attack manager? Thank you

32. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > You can look at CharacterHandleSecondaryWeapon, and create more on that same model (Third, Fourth, etc). They won't be exclusive. If you want them to be, you'll need an extra class to handle your specific rules.

luigi7 likes this.
  33. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hello guys,

Question. What’s the best way to add a weapon item to a equipment inventory at runtime?

I have been reading the api documentation but I can’t make it work.

Thanks!

34. reuno

reuno

35. storkych

storkych

Hi, can you tell me where the save files are located by default? Just need to use Steam cloud...

36. reuno

reuno

37. AltIvan

AltIvan

>- This specific AI in that demo simply has no decision in place to stop firing in that situation.

...what? Shouldn't it require a decision in place to KEEP firing?

So are we supposed to believe this is not a bug?

> And there's no rule in place to prevent that specific feedback based on distance, but that doesn't mean you can't have one if you want.

Yeah, is dead obvious that nobody wants feedback from an action that is occurring 300 miles away from the player, and is a bit worrysome that isn't clear for you.

Posting bugs in this forum is eons better that any sort of private messages to solve any issue, trackability is extremely important, is the same reason Unity engine itself has a public bug tracker, as well as many other Unity assets in the Asset store.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  38. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > You complained about "enemies [that] like to keep firing when another enemy obstructs their view while firing the player", so I recommended adding a decision to have them stop firing in that situation, assuming that was what you were after. Both are possible. If I misunderstood, that's ok, just say so. As I said, the engine lets you setup AIs any way you want, and will also let you take distance into account for feedbacks if you want to.

And thank you for your advice on how to provide support. I've noted your opinion, but I've got a system in place, and it's working. Not for you, I get and respect that. You're free to have a different opinion, and if you don't want to use it and let me help you, I'll be happy to refund you, but really there's no reason to be so confrontational about it, it's completely uncalled for.

Recon03 likes this.
  39. CVDev1

CVDev1

Hello everyone, I would like a effect to slow down time for everything but the player. Can anyone guide me how can I do this please? Thank you.

40. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Have you tried calling the TimeControlStart () function on your targets' CharacterTimeControl component?

You might want to try the community discord channel for something like this - post what you've tried and what you're trying to do to get the best response.

CVDev1 likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@CVDev1 > there are a few ways you could do that, depending on what exactly you're after. A simple one would be to have a manager impact the movement speed of other characters. It won't impact everything, but may be enough.
    If you wanted actual time control, impacting everything from movement speed, behaviours, animations, etc, you'd need to implement a relatively comprehensive system that will have to target all of these, it wouldn't be trivial to do so.

CVDev1 likes this.
  42. AltIvan

AltIvan

Is very rude to skip over the actual bug mentioned in my post. Anyway, people reading the reviews in the asset store should have a better view of what they are really getting, the kind of information I would had like to have at hand before purchasing this asset; and I care more about that that about getting a refund.

43. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > I'm really sorry you've consistently refused my help and decide to continue with that very toxic attitude. Not sure what else I can do to help with that attitude of yours, and won't accept any more of it.

44. christougher

christougher

Dude, if you're not willing to work with an amazing asset dev in a way that has helped him address and squash literally thousands of issues and bugs with his extremely high quality, well-maintained, beloved and under-priced asset please just take the refund and run. I personally prefer the forums too, but he clearly has a system that is working very well for him to do a stellar job tracking and addressing issues in his multiple amazing plugins. If submitting a bug report via an online form is just too much to ask for high quality support then this is not the kick-ass asset you're looking for.

gurayg, Mixa1985 and reuno like this.
  45. reuno

reuno

46. luigi7

luigi7

Hello, about damages: if I set Damage Taken Invincibility Duration (in Damage On Touch) to let's say 0.1 and I have a melee weapon that does damage for 1, is the colliding target taking damage 10 times?

47. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > DamageOnTouch's DamageTakenInvincibilityDuration only applies to the object itself. It's the invincibility duration for damage taken (when applying damage you can also self damage).

The invincibility duration for the target collider is InvincibilityDuration. And yes, in that case, if your damage on touch remains in contact with its target for 1s, has a DamageCaused value of 1, and an InvincibilityDuration of 0.1, it'll cause 10 damage (10 times 1 damage).

luigi7 likes this.
  48. krisss666

krisss666

hello i have the v6.2 and i'd like to know the easiest way to make a sprite from a player's child gamobject looking at the same direction than the player itself. Thanks

I checked this part from characterhorizontalMovement :
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   // If the value of the horizontal axis is positive, the character must face right.
    2.             if (_horizontalMovement > InputThreshold)
    3.             {
    4.                 _normalizedHorizontalSpeed = _horizontalMovement;
    5.                 if (!_character.IsFacingRight)
    6.                 {
    7.                     _character.Flip();
    8.                 }                  
    9.             }        
    but if i can use an existing script without editing it should be better.

49. reuno

reuno

@krisss666 > an easy way to do it would be to simply nest your child gameobject under your character model.

For example, on the RetroCorgi, if I add a new object (here, a sprite) under my Model node, like so :
    upload_2020-12-11_16-57-52.png

It will automatically face the correct way when flipping :

upload_2020-12-11_16-58-29.png

Alternatively, you could have a class on that object that holds a reference to your Character component, and flips itself based on the value of yourCharacter.IsFacingRight (true > right, false > left).

50. krisss666

krisss666

yes i just try with retroCorgi and it's works..many thanks, but i was stuck today because i try with the space-corgi-spritesheet and in this case, your suggestion don't make the sprite flip. I don't understand why !
    Btw, i'll use the retro corgy base for my character.