Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@neshiu108 > Well, as I've just said in my last 2 messages, CC or Double Dragon aren't platformers. The Corgi Engine is a platformer engine. So I wouldn't recommend it. But yes, technically, it's "possible", as is pretty much everything you can think of in Unity. It'd just mean a lot of heavy changes.

2. neshius108

neshius108

Ok, that's the answer I wanted to get :D

reuno likes this.
  3. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

hey there,

struggling with the melee weapon set up. I feel really close to solving this problem, just need an extra push. I've gotten the melee animation to work great. But only when the character state is idling. What I'd love to accomplish is as the character is moving and the player presses the attack button, the character would stop, attack, and as soon as the animation is complete continue running so the player never has to let up on the movement inputs.

What parameters should I be messing with to accomplish this?

4. reuno

reuno

@Bridin > If I understand correctly, it's not just an animation thing. If you want your character to stop its movement (not the animation, the actual movement) when attacking, you'll have to implement that somehow (most probably at the weapon level). Regarding weapon animations, you can define animation parameters for all states of your weapon, and then it's just a matter of deciding what you want to happen when the weapon starts, when it's waiting for the next hit, etc.
    In this case I'd say it's best to focus first on the movement part and then move on to animations, they're very easy to tweak in comparison.

5. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

Hello,

I got a bug on jetpack. When jetpack fuel is go to 0 and die because of out of bounds (eg: die fall to bottom), and player still hold jetpack button, then it will respawn the character and jetpack can't be used anymore although the fuel is full.

can you help me? thanks.

Asset : 2D+2.5D Platformer Corgi Engine
    Version : 3.2

6. reuno

reuno

@syamilsynz > You're right, there's a bug there, I reproduce it. I'll fix it for the next release. If you need the fix before that, please send me an email on the support email address. Thanks for reporting this!

7. syamilsynz

syamilsynz

Okay, I will send it to emel. thanks

8. razo84

razo84

@reuno > Hello Reuno, I saw a post sometimes from 2016 discussing pixel perfect camera being integrated into Corgi engine. Is that already implemented? As I couldn't find any mention in the documentation nor the scripts, but I might be missing something? Thanks for the answer.

9. reuno

reuno

@razo84 > It's not, but you're lucky, it's on my todo list for next week.
    At this point I'm just looking at whether or not it'd be a good addition to the engine, so no guarantees here :)

10. razo84

razo84

@reuno > Thanks for the quick reply! I think it's a must have for pixelart games, but decision is yours of course.

I am trying to avoid glitches that I've noticed even in the Pixel Level:

(needs maximize)

Anybody got experience with implementing ProCamera2D into Corgi engine?

Thanks for any tips.

11. reuno

reuno

@razo84 > I agree it's a must app for pixelart games, I'm just not sure it's a must have for a platformer engine (I could spend that time focusing on behaviour and core features) :)
    The engine already allows you to setup your own camera, it won't get in your way.
    I've never tried ProCamera2D myself, but I know quite a lot of people have plugged it into the Corgi Engine. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.

12. razo84

razo84

@reuno > I see, I guess you are right with engine being rather high-level solution.

People already hooking ProCamera2D into Corgi is actually enough info for me, thanks and good night!

reuno likes this.
  13. delphifissure

delphifissure

@reuno First of all, amazing product. I'm a noob and probably shouldn't be doing anything wonky out of the gate, but I've got a couple simple (hopefully) questions for you.

How would I implement:
    • One-way Aladdin / Popeye style stairs & slopes? I want to make branching pathways, e.g. player is running right > comes to hill > continuing to run forward bypasses the hill and continues on path, while holding up-right takes them up the hill path.
    • Fake z-depth by scaling objects a la 90's point and click adventure games? I'd like to be able to perhaps overlay a spline along colliders that I would use to control the object scaling so that when someone climbs a hill they gradually shrink.
    • How would I slow the player according to the slope angle?
    Thanks so much in advance for your help!

14. reuno

reuno

@delphifissure > I'm glad you like the engine :)
    So unfortunately these are not simple questions (except the last one).

- stairs are not a feature of the engine (yet). You can of course implement them, others have done so, but there's no short answer to that, and there are many ways to do it. One way would be to create a new layer and class, and move the player to one slope or the other depending on the input when entering the slope. That's relatively easy. The hard part starts when you need to do that and keep all other functionalities working. Depending on your level design there are cases you'll be able to ignore.
    - this doesn't have much to do with the engine. I guess you could drive the scale based on the y position. Really it's up to you.
    - that's built-in, and you can control slope speed via the animation curve that drives it, from the CorgiController's inspector.

15. delphifissure

delphifissure

@reuno Thanks for the reply!

Poking through the thread I can't find anyone who has made stairs work yet. Do you have any examples? Do you have a rough eta for that feature? Looks like its been in the works for a couple years.

I thought about using the Y to drive scale but I imagine that would make me shrink while jumping up regardless of whether I was advancing "deeper". Would I need to have it exclude the transform while in air or something? Or could I have an xyz edge collider with the xy aligned to the platform edge and the z controlling the scale?

Re: slopes speed, awesome!

16. reuno

reuno

@delphifissure > Not sure in this thread, but I get tons of emails per day, and I know some people have implemented them. It hasn't been in the works for a couple of years, not sure where you got that :) They may have been in the todo list for a while though. I don't give estimates, features get out when they're ready. The order depends on the number of requests. Right now stairs are very low in the todo list, as I haven't gotten many requests for them (I guess because it mostly gets down to an if), compared to the rest of the list. They just got one more point though.

Regarding your second question, as I said, this is really up to you. I'd recommend following best practices and separating visuals from the actual logic (colliders etc), to avoid having to resort to the solutions you describe.

17. delphifissure

delphifissure

@reuno Re: "In the works" I guess I meant "to do list", you'd replied to a couple other users (csotomon, awesomedata) in 2015 that it was on the list. Thanks again!

reuno likes this.
  18. Zehru

Zehru

@razo84 it's really simple. Basically dragging the camera prefab and dropping into the scene already works, but if you want it to add automatically the player as a target to the camera(if the player is instantiated when you press play) you just need to use the AddCameraTarget. :)

reuno likes this.
  19. NickBalanda

NickBalanda

Hey @reuno I'm thinking of a way to implement a character toggle system in my game, similar to games like Trine. I know the engine supports more then one player, maybe I can pool between them. Any ideas, suggestions?

Cheers!!

20. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno
    Just passing by to say thank you very much :D
    I remember when I started using Corgi Engine... I was a complete newbie to C# scripting. However, after analysing your codes and trying to do by myself, based on what I saw on Corge Engine scripts, I could do lots of nice things :)
    Thank you~ ^_^

21. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > Thanks a lot, I'm glad I could help :)
    @NickBalanda > It's easy enough to implement. One way to do it would be to instantiate your 3 (for example) playable characters on start, and disable 2 of them. When you switch characters, you enable another, disable the other two. The only thing you'd have to do is keep any other object aware of that change (camera, level manager probably). Pretty straightforward.

Zehru likes this.
  22. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

I use ProCamera2D quite extensively.
    It's pretty easy to use once you've bend your mind over how to incorporate it with corgi.
    It's a little bit of going back and forth through the classes and plugins of the camera plugin as with everything.

All features of pro camera work pretty well. Just be careful with the cinematics plugin. As corgi also has fade in / out when levels start and finish, so it's best to write a custom game / level manager and reference to the ProCamera2D where needed. if you don't take care of that the game won't start. But this is also pretty easy to fix.
    For me it was easier to completely rewrite the game/level managers to make it work with ProCamera2D. Don't be afraid of that. You'll discover it's actually easy.

Make sure you set the ProCamera2D target (player) on Awake, I had bad results doing it at Start.
    You'll also will need to rewrite a couple of corgi features (look up / down etc) but it's all pretty straightforward and there are a couple of "tutorials" on the proCamera2D website that do exactly that as the camera works with influence markers.

Good luck!

reuno likes this.
  23. Shamshiel

Shamshiel

Hi @reuno, I recently purchased your Engine and I think it is great.

After experimenting with the MinimalLevel a little bit, I stumbled upon a NRE and I am not sure if it is a mistake on my side or a bug. I tried a couple of other demo scenes and the NRE seems to be present in some of them.

The NRE is thrown in the ProgressBar.cs when I start for example the MinimalLevel scene. I debugged it in Visual Studio and the Foreground seems to be null when the Update method of the Healthbar is called.

I am using the newest version of Unity (5.60f3) and I have not changed anything in the CorgiEngine-Folder.

Edit: I still had the old version and it seems this bug was fixed in v3.2. I updated my Asset to v3.2 and the problem is gone.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  24. reuno

reuno

@Shamshiel > Yup, should be fixed in the latest version :) Glad the problem is gone!
    @zero_equals_zero > I'm gonna copy that one for future use if you don't mind :) Thanks for sharing that!

25. WhiteGfx

WhiteGfx

Hi @reuno, Where can I set the automatic player movement? (in which script i can add persistent velocity) My player must always go to right and user will jump over obstacles. Thank you for the tip.

26. moh13777

moh13777

First At Start Method
    corgi = GetComponent<CorgiController>();
    Now You Can use this code at FixsedUpdate Method
    corgi.SetHorizontalForce(Speed);

reuno likes this.
  27. reuno

reuno

@WhiteGfx > You can do that in many ways. What @moh13777 said is very valid.
    The way I'd do it is I'd create a new ability that simply targets HorizontalMovement and calls SetHorizontalMove(1f).
    That'd do the trick nicely.

WhiteGfx likes this.
  28. Shamshiel

Shamshiel

Edit: I found the InputManager myself. It is attached to the UICamera.... I feel stupid -.-

Can someone help me with following problem? (maybe @reuno or somebody else)

I created a new InputManager (MyInputManager) and extended it with a new Button "ActionButton". Now I am looking for a way to integrate the new InputManager "MyInputManager" so I can use it in my new ability "MyAbility".

In the Character.cs class is a method GetInputManager() that "magically" finds the CorgiEngine InputManager on a playable character (for example "Rectangle") that doesn't have an InputManager script attached.

If I want to use MyInputManager I have to explicitly add it to my character. After that the method GetInputManager() finds both the CorgineEngine InputManager and MyInputManager. Where does the CorgineEngine InputManager come from?

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Is this the preferred way to insert more buttons?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  29. reuno

reuno

@Shamshiel > Yup, don't attach an input manager to your character. By default it's attached to the UICamera to simplify mobile controls bindings, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. It could also live on an empty gameobject on its own. But not on a character :)

30. Northy

Northy

How light weight is the corgi engine? I'm looking for something that can slot in to an existing 2D project without too much drama to support.

I'm also hoping to use my existing control system which is based on the "InControl" package, how flexible is your control structure?

31. reuno

reuno

@Northy > If you're asking about the performance footprint, the engine is very lightweight, it's raycast based so much lighter than regular Unity physics. As for how hard it is to use, it's really a very relative question. It's not a magical "make me a game" button. But it's modular, component based, follows Unity's general good practices, is well commented and documented. Maybe have a look at the documentation, it should give you the answers you need. As for controls, it comes with its own solution, but you can easily replace it with your own. Again, "easily" is very relative. If you're familiar with Unity it'll be easy. If you don't know what a component is, you'll need to learn how Unity works. Always a very tricky question to answer.

32. Rolek

Rolek

Any support for this ? I am getting bunch of error importing the assets:
    Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/CorgiEngine/Demos/TheHunt/Models/Soldier/RedAnimator.controller). Local file identifier (110200000) doesn't exist!
    5 of similar ones.

33. reuno

reuno

@Rolek > Don't worry about these errors, they're "normal", just clear the console and you'll never see them again. Happens sometimes when importing. Your animators will be just fine.

34. Shilo

Shilo

@reuno
    Keep up the good work! This asset is still one of my favorites. I'm excited to try out the new version (3.2).

I tried updating the package by re-downloading and re-importing the package multiple times, with the message saying "2D+2.5D Platformer Corgi Engine v3.2 finished downloading.". But everytime it imports v3.1.2. The readme file shows "v3.1.2" and I don't see any of the changes that were mentioned in the changelog for v3.2.

I think updating packages is really straight forward, so I don't see how I could be at fault. Is there something I am missing? Is there perhaps a way to fully delete the package and re download it, as if I never downloaded it in the first place? I really don't know if it would help or any way to get it to import the correct version. My only other thought is maybe you unintentionally uploaded v3.1.2 as v3.2.

Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone successfully update to v3.2?

35. razo84

razo84

Zehru likes this.
  36. Bagnol

Bagnol

@Shilo Are you using Unity 5.6? It won't show up otherwise.

37. reuno

reuno

@Shilo > I had replied but I guess due to the forum hack the answer is lost now.
    So yes, obviously, a lot of people have successfully updated to 3.2.
    As @Bagnol said, you need Unity 5.6 to get the engine's latest version.

38. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno
    I have 2 doubts and I hope that you or someone else in the forum, will be able to help me.

1 - I'm starting the game in a scene "A1", which is the game scene number one. I'm using a script, that derives from the FinishLevel script( it basically just freezes the character and hold it until the next scene starts).
    As the player is keeping alive from scene to scene, when I return to the first part of the game( as it's a metroidvania, making the player free to go and return), there will be a copy of the player, the main camera, the managers and so on.
    To solve it, I just deleted all these things from that scene, and created an empty scene, with the camera, player and managers, to be my first scene when the game starts. I put a gameObject with a script that, in the start, will loadAsync my "A1"( keeping the player and stuff and keeping the scene, so when I return to this scene again, it won't have a copy of the player). However, when I start the game, in that almost empty scene, even me putting the right scene to loadAsync, it automatically loads the CorgiEngine StartScreen(and if I take that scene out of the build, it will return a NullException).
    Am I missing something important about the loading method?

2- As you probably noticed, I'm going and returning to scenes all the time, and to make the player not to keep falling the whole loading screen time, I just freeze() the character. However, when I unfreeze him, his jump is not working anymore.

( the only thing I did was Freeze() in the end of a scene and Unfreeze in the start of the next scene)

I will certainly look again this entire "System" that I'm trying to extend from FinishLevel to make possible going and returning from scenes, but still, I would be very happy if someone could help me figuring out the problem :)
    Thank you

PS: If you can't help with this, it's okay too ^^ I understand that this is more than just giving support, and that maybe I'm asking too much. If so, I'm sorry about it.

39. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > 1 - I'd say this has to do with your build order. By default the startscreen will be your first level, but of course you can change it in the build order window (or whatever it's called). Apart from there I don't see anywhere in the engine's code a reference to it. So it's either that or something you added.
    2 - You must be doing something else than freezing him. Freeze is what the Pause method calls too, and as you can see you can pause and jump and pause and jump without problem. Maybe have a look at how it's done there.

Zehru likes this.
  40. Shilo

Shilo

@reuno
    Ya I saw your reply. Apparently my reply was also lost. That clears things up, thank you!

@Bagnol
    Thank you.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  41. reuno

reuno

I've started recording new tutorials, the goal being to cover the entirety of the asset. I'll be following the (existing) written documentation and posting separate tutorials for each main portion of the engine. There's not really an order but I'll try posting one daily in the order that makes the most sense. I'll remove / tag the old ones once these are out, and I'll link them from the documentation too.

Here's the first one :

Grafos, inoj, Burntaces and 5 others like this.
  42. laymelek

laymelek

I am checking Corgi Engine. It looks really promising and thinking about buying it.

I am trying to make a puzzle platformer. So it is very important that player moves grid based. It means it only moves from center of one tile to another and doesnt stay in the middle of two tiles. Does movement of Corgi Engine supports tha?

43. reuno

reuno

@laymelek > Nope, not out of the box. I guess it'd be possible to implement it but I've never given much thought to something like that.

44. inoj

inoj

Hey, finally managed to get corgi at last hour of madness sale, thank you @reuno for giving us beginners a possibility to learn with your great tool, it really gave me very much inspiration and whole new side of unity to discover and so far I've been loving it.

QUESTION:

I did read that corgi character is copyrighted and can't be used, but i started to wonder if other characters in the pack I'm free to use? Got little confused about that, sorry. I really love just the simple rectangle from minimal level and would like to see what i can make with it if it's just allowed. I don't wanna break any rights so i decided that it might be clever to ask before starting anything, even replacing characters in corgi is very simple. (finding the one from stores, that includes all animations you'd like to use is not that simple, can't do my own yet sadly)

Random thoughts for people, who are considering to buy corgi engine:

From unity beginner aspect, if you are one of us, reading this, and are thinking about Corgi engine. So far with 2 days exploring, this definetly is something you can have really much fun while learning 2d side of Unity and making your very first platformer style game.

So far i have made Intro splash screen, mobile controller(was easy setup out from the box, GUI style "island selection", which leads to level selection map (similar to level selection in videos), where i did put my own map in and corrected paths there (atm trying to figure out how to lock/unlock levels when completing previous, as a non coder, this is a bit hard part for me) Working player/AI char with custom sprites and ability to shoot, spritesheet animations and some sounds. One demo level where i try things out, what leads back to level selection screen when completed.

So simply, by following tutorials from @reuno i pretty much made very good base for a platformer game as a NON-coder/graphical artist, in just a one day, even added that GUI island selection by myself. I don't see a single reason why YOU couldn't do same, even more with it! (I have about 2-3 months experience in development of any kind)

I know people who are considering to buy assets, will look in the forums first, so thats why i wanted to write couple thoughts about my first touch of Corgi engine as a beginner dev, and also ask that one question i didn't understand quite correctly. (Im not native english speaker, so forgive me if there is something you can't clearly understand)

Here is a little pic from my day 1 with the engine:

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Neviah likes this.
  45. laymelek

laymelek

Thanks a lot for the response... Corgi looks really cool so i just went for it and bought it and will give it a try :)

inoj likes this.
  46. reuno

reuno

@laymelek > I hope you'll like it!
    @inoj > You can use the other characters. I usually recommend not to use them in a final game as you won't have the sources for them (they're meant as placeholders only) so it'll be hard to maintain your game to (for example) support higher resolutions. It's always better and more coherent to use your own art. But go ahead if you want, there's no problem there. And thanks a lot for sharing your feedback and screenshot. It's really great you got this result in only one day! That makes me really happy :)

inoj likes this.
  47. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@reuno

Just picked up your asset during the sale. I really like the local multi-player features that it offers. I am plan on making it work with Rewired to I can support more controller options than just gamepads. I prefer flight controllers over gamepads.

Thanks again for making this asset.

48. jonaburg

jonaburg

Hi there, just got the asset the other day, I'm trying to get spine animations to work properly together with corgi, i've so far only managed to do a very basic animation by scripts, how do I manage to hook it up to the animator? Is there anywhere you can point me to learn more about how to do it? thanks!
    keep up the good work!

49. inoj

inoj

Thank you very much @reuno for clearing that thing out for me, it really helps! :) Idk why i love that little white squareguy, it reminds me a littlebit of super meat boy :D Sadly im not graphic artist either, i got some characters like you can see in pic, but those spritesheet .png :s only contains characters with weapons already in sprite, and not all the animations i'd like to use. Then there is character bodyparts as separate pictures (which i haven't learned to use yet) so im quite limited to those animations only what is already made, and i think is very hard to find one with all animations included i'd love to use :) Maybe one day i am able to rebuild that character from those bodyparts and do my own animations for it! (had to workaround and make unvisible gameobject as his weapon, since sprite had that sniper already in it), would love to find a character i could use unarmed also, and then have variety of different weapons, but that's more than fine for now :)

Very happy with Corgi, i mean VERY HAPPY! =)

I btw tried to do my "worldselect" with same style than level select, but couldn't figure out how i could get that leading to "levelselect" with character spawning to correct spot in 2nd scene. My problem was that even i was using 2 different characters, separate for both skenes and changed those default spawning pathpoints for both presets, it spawned to the place it was in last scene, so i ended up doing that worldselection just by using UI atm. :) (just to clear, i was trying to make from level selection type of map to similar map, but didn't manage yet to get spawning correctly)

Any tips you could give me @reuno how i should start approaching if i want my levels to be locked and unlock while player progress through the already open levels? :) I think achievements is something i need to take look, and i already have for a bit?

Edit; I add picture showing with red mark where did my level selection character spawn if i tried to use it in the world selection screen also, even tried 2 different selection characters, and naming the "spawn" pathpoint either similarly or differently to other scene. Not a big deals anyways, and my UI world select workaround works just like it should! Im sure that my skill is only thing why i can't make it like that. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Neviah likes this.
  50. reuno

reuno

@longroadhwy > I'm glad you like the engine!
    @jonaburg > There's a spine example included in the asset (Demos/Corgi2D/Spine/NativeSpineCorgi).
    But really there's absolutely nothing specific to the engine when it comes to Spine, so I'd suggest having a look at Spine's tutorials, they'll explain it much better than I would (plus it changes every now and then so really it's the best place to look).
    @inoj > If I understand your question correctly, if you want different spawn positions and the ability to chose one or the other, you'll need to modify (ideally extend) the LevelManager to support that. From there it's "only" a matter of getting that information and overriding the default behaviour to spawn where you want. As for lock and unlock, you can look at the achievements system indeed, it can be a nice inspiration, plus it also includes save/load mechanisms (it's already pretty easy in Unity by default, but I added some helpers you can reuse too). Oh and if you like the asset don't hesitate to leave a good note/review for it on the Asset Store :)

inoj likes this.