Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. 3eBpA

3eBpA

Hello Reuno!
    I found a pretty weird behaviour in Corgi Engine, the problem occurs when corgi controller collides with platform while running (below collision), I guess it's a problem with raycast length

What happens : player runs to the direction of some platform (not oneway or moving, just a regular one) then jumps on it but his velocity is too low so he only touches sides of that platform and afterwards when below collision starts modifying _newPosition.y player gets launched into space, I disabled both above collision and horizontal collision, still get the same results so it might be a raycast problem with below collision (by default you're raycasting from collider's center so this modifies _newPosition.y, as if player was colliding at the height of his spine as the result we have few times bigger variable value then it should be)

I found a little workaround to make it work (pseudocode unity forum code editor makes it hard to port all yours code here, sorry) :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. protected virtual void CastRaysBelow()
    2. {
    3.    _friction = 0;
    4.    const float ColliderDivider = 10;
    6.   //other code
    8.   float rayLength = _rayBoundsRectangle.height / ColliderDivider + RayOffset;
    10.   //we raycast only from the bottom of character's collider
    11.   _verticalRayCastFromLeft.x = _rayBoundsRectangle.xMin + _newPosition.x;
    12.   _verticalRayCastFromLeft.y = _rayBoundsRectangle.y + RayOffset;
    14.   _verticalRayCastToRight.x = _rayBoundsRectangle.xMax + _newPosition.x;
    15.   _verticalRayCastToRight.y = _rayBoundsRectangle.y + RayOffset;
    17.   if(/*external force*/) {}
    18.   else {
    19.     var rayDistance = _belowHitsStorage[smallestDistanceIndex].distance;
    21.     _newPosition.y = rayDistance * -1
    22.           + _rayBoundsRectangle.height / ColliderDivider
    23.           + RayOffset;
    24.   }
    25. }
    the code higher actually makes it work right how it should except there's one problem, the biggercollider divider value I set, the higher chance character can skip it's collision at the end of frame and just fly down, wondering if that's just mine problem or it's a bug

By the way, one more thing I found some pretty weird if condition in corgi controller (line 326)

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (State.IsCollidingLeft || State.IsCollidingRight || State.IsCollidingBelow || State.IsCollidingRight)
    3. {
    4.   OnCorgiColliderHit();
    5. }
    I guess last condition should be State.IsCollidingAbove

Thanks for help!

2. reuno

reuno

@3eBpA > Regarding your last point, you're right, it was a typo, it's already been reported and fixed for the next release. But thanks for reporting it anyway :)

As for your first point, I'm not sure I understand the problem. How exactly could I reproduce it?
    I've tried jumping on angles/sides of platforms and couldn't see anything weird.
    Also, could you please send me an email on the support email address when encountering that kind of issues? It helps me keep track of them and keep people updated as soon as the fix is found :)

3. jaelove

jaelove

any estimated time frame for the release? I've been extremely patient so far but I would love for it to come out by spring

4. NathanG

NathanG

Love your product, working on a 2.5D prototype with it.

Feature Request.

Character Crouch Script, via the GUI, allow us a simple way to enable/disable the ability to crawl. I can do it via editing your script but via the GUI would be cleaner.

Character Jump Script, via the GUI give us a jump cool down option similar to how you have it for Dash.

Thank you for a great product and the amazing support you provide for it.

5. aurquizu_

aurquizu_

Hello Reuno
    i was wondering how i can create an pull ability , please if you can tell me this :)

6. reuno

reuno

@jaelove > No, as I've stated tons of time before, I don't give release dates. I release stuff when it's done. You don't have to be patient. If you don't want to wait, just don't wait. I won't release stuff before I think it's complete and as perfect as possible. No need to rush things.
    @NathanG > I guess that by "via the GUI" you mean via the inspector? There's already a way to enable/disable abilities via the inspector, on all abilities. You can either disable the component, or uncheck "Ability permitted". As for a cooldown on jump, it's really uncommon, so it's really low priority right now, plus based on what's already in the asset it's super simple to just extend it to have a CharacterJumpCooldown for example, so I don't think it'll make it anytime soon. I've added it to the list though :)
    @aurquizu_ > Well you can have a look at how the push works right now, a pull is just the opposite, so it should be quite obvious :) You'll want to condition that to a button press I guess, and there are also a lot of examples of that. Good luck!

7. Profiter

Profiter

I have some problem with implementing axis controller. I can't seem to get any response error or any message when i press the arrow buttons. Below are the screeshoots,

from your tutorial there should be axis value which i need to set -1 or 1 but i don't see any value to be enter at the inputmanager.setmovementhorizontal function there. Could you assist me on this matter? I just want to change the joy stick control into arrow control

1.PNG
    2.PNG

8. reuno

reuno

@Profiter > Not sure what the problem could be with that little info, but now you can set arrows instead of joystick without any setup, simply by selecting the arrows control mode from the InputManager's inspector. From your screenshots it looks like you're running an old version of the engine without that option, you may need to update. Make a backup first :)

9. Profiter

Profiter

ok will update ! Omg didn't know it updated recently because i just download few weeks ago. Thanks alot !

10. Profiter

Profiter

Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Character/CharacterJetpack.cs(10,15): error CS0101: The namespace `MoreMountains.CorgiEngine' already contains a definition for `CharacterJetpack'

Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/GUI/HealthBar/HealthBar.cs(13,15): error CS0101: The namespace `MoreMountains.CorgiEngine' already contains a definition for `HealthBar'

Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Weapons/MeleeWeapon.cs(9,15): error CS0101: The namespace `MoreMountains.CorgiEngine' already contains a definition for `MeleeWeapon'

Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Weapons/Projectile.cs(9,24): error CS0101: The namespace `MoreMountains.CorgiEngine' already contains a definition for `Projectile'

Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Weapons/Weapon.cs(9,15): error CS0101: The namespace `MoreMountains.CorgiEngine' already contains a definition for `Weapon'

hello sorry for the trouble again

which file should i delete to solve this error ah?

11. reuno

reuno

@Profiter > Well as the errors tell you, you have duplicate scripts for all these classes.
    A good way to avoid that is to just remove the old package and import the new one.
    If you have more questions, please use the support email address, thanks!

12. RoNoLo

RoNoLo

Hi Renaud,

I have a question about the possibilities your engine might have. As a french you may know the excellent 2D game Valiant Hearts. It was a great pleasure for me to play this (on my mobile phone) not only because of the story, but also because of the usage of the parallax panes.

It seemed to me that even though it is 2D it felt often like 2D++ because puzzles utilized more space.

A simple example is here:

where the main character climbs the train to solve a puzzle "in the background" and then moves back to it's usual player-pane and moves on.

Another example is this

were the dog uses a tunnel to move to the background and has to solve (get dynamite) a puzzle there. Even though you don't see it, it requires interaction from the player.

It means for me that they have figured out a way to use multiple parallax panes (is that the correct word?) to have player-actions on. Sure some are just for background or scripted story telling with NPCs, but the player has clearly solve puzzles and has to interact in more than one pane.

Another great example:

Now my question: is that also possible with Corgi, that you could set up multiple parallax panes were the player could use plattforms and interact? If not do you think it could be achieved with overriding classes of Corgi?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Note: I think the commercial UbiArt Framework is super advanced, so competing with it is unfair for an individual. It's just a question if with Corgi possibilities exist to get near it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. reuno

reuno

@RoNoLo > I know Valiant Hearts very well, so I see exactly what you mean :)
    Moving between parallax planes is not something that is possible out of the box with the engine.

But I'm certain it's doable without breaking everything.
    Basically, in the engine, everything happens in 2D, even with a 3D setup. All the action will happen on a single xy plane.
    That said, you could very easily have multiple planes, each with their own platforms/colliders and so on, and disable them all except for the current plane. When you decide to move to another plane, you'd disable all colliders, trigger an animation/zoom etc, and when you reach your new plane, you enable its colliders. It wouldn't be too hard, and I don't think you'd even have to override anything. A "global" manager class could handle that for you. I think I'll just add that to my todo list (it won't come too soon so maybe don't wait for it), it's a great feature to have :)

Zehru and rrahim like this.
  14. RoNoLo

RoNoLo

Thanks for the fast replay. Btw. bought Corgi 5 minutes after I wrote my post.

Small suggestion: Unity itself has this 2D Plattformer Asset / Demo / Video (Potato Head with Rocket Launcher). I'm not sure about the license, but I think it would be great for newbies to see the same _result_ done in Corgi as a demo level. At least it would show me exactly why your framework / engine does this and that out of the box wereas in the original Demo you have to do it manually.

15. reuno

reuno

@RoNoLo > Well I'm not sure it really compares, that potato demo is physics based, and with a very small scope compared to the Corgi Engine, as far as I remember.
    Plus I don't think it'd be possible due to license issues, but I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

16. Jasinka

Jasinka

Hello,

Always Unity freezing on this asset. I just download/import export to apk....

What i do wrong? Can you help, thanks.

17. elpana

elpana

Hello,

I want to congratulate you for this great engine. I am really enjoying it to make a small game for my kids.

I have some questions.

1. I have created a Water area where I have included it on the Volumes layer and included also a Cahracter Jump Override Script to simulate the swim of my character, with changing the jump high and everything is working fine to simulate the swim
    2. I have the problem when I go out of the water area that the Character Jump Override is kept on the character and I do not know how to remove it.
    I tried adding a new override on the surface of the water but it appears not to work.

Any idea on how to solve my problem? How can I remove the jump override outside my water area?

Thanks all for your help,

Pana

18. roboroo

roboroo

Hi Reuno, bought your Corgi Engine asset a few weeks ago, one of the best apps I've used.
    Finally getting into the groove of using it but I'm stumped on one seemingly simple thing. I just want to play an animation on collider enter. Graphics/art are my strongpoints, not coding. I've tried multiple combinations of code and cannot get anything to work. I've tried work arounds with the coin script and spawners but no go.... all I want is a simple 'play animation on enter and stop on exit! Attached is a pick of my game dev, Aussie outback themed!
    I know you can't write code for all the people who request, but if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Cheers, Shane Wombat1.jpeg

19. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Reuno and company, I posted here before about my corgi-engine-based game, XENOCAVE, so here's a follow up.

Here's some enemies from it because I thought it would draw some interest:

xenoEnemies.png

More info here/playble game here.

Also, greenlight page.

It's a great engine, thanks for making it -- it saved me lots of time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Zehru likes this.
  20. Plott

Plott

@reuno I have a "bug" with falling platforms, only if you make them one way. they work great with a normal box collider, so i figured id ask if you've tested the falling platform as a one way platform... its really weird to recreate, all I'm doing is using the falling platform, have multiple ones in the scene, i them have them set up as oneway platforms, sometimes it'll stop working then it randomly starts working again, really weird.

****Edit -Nevermind i figured it out. it works fine with box collider2d and oneway moving platform. i was using an edge collider.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  21. RoNoLo

RoNoLo

Hi Renaud,

I was looking through the source code and noticed that many things are very tight bound to the CorgieController. An example is the treadmill plattform. If I drop an box there nothing will happen. Same for jumper plattform and so forth.

I think it would be better in one of the further releases when another method could be found like tagging or so, to define which gameobjects are effected by a certain behavior.

Plott and Muppo like this.
  22. reuno

reuno

Sorry for the late replies, for some reason the forum decided to stop sending me notifications... And as usual, if you want support, please, please use the support email address, that's what it's for.

@Jasinka > That's a known issue with Unity's postprocessing effects. You can either remove them or wait (it can take up to an hour). It'll only take that long on the first build though.
    @elpana > I don't reproduce the problem. I'd need more details to match your conditions. Send me an email with more explanations if the problem persists.
    @roboroo > I don't really see what your question has to do with the engine. It looks like a generic Unity question. You can learn more about playing animations in Unity's documentation, it's really simple :) https://unity3d.com/fr/learn/tutorials/topics/animation As for triggering them "on entering", it really depends what you're "entering". In any case, it doesn't seem related to the engine, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    @blueLED > These enemies look gorgeous! Love that small guard! (just voted for you btw)
    @Plott > I'm glad you figured it out :)
    @RoNoLo > I wish it was possible, but that's not really how Unity works. Unity is component based. Without a component, a box won't magically run along a treadmill. When you put a character on a treadmill, it's the CorgiController that makes it move. That's how it works. Tags don't make things move. You can add a CorgiController to your box though, and it'll move just fine.

23. Muppo

Muppo

It seems forums had a odd behavior lately, didn't get any notification from at least 20 posts before this one as well.

It's nice to see sneak peeks of other users works :)

24. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Glad to know it's not just me then. And apparently it's working again, just got a notification for your message. Back to normal!

25. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v3.2 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store. As usual, expect up to 3 weeks until it's accepted and available for download. Hopefully less than that.

Now I wanted to release this at a later point this month, to include a new (and big) feature I've been working on for ages, but I tested Unity 5.6 and found out that a few errors popped up. They're fixed in this new release. So this is mostly bugfixes and small (but nice) improvements. Note that this new version requires Unity 5.6. Here are the complete release notes:

- Adds a way to automatically manage order in layer for sprites
    - Adds Fall and Ascent multipliers for the CorgiController, to enable more accurate air acceleration tweaking (basically you can now jump slower and fall faster, or the opposite)
    - Adds a way to enable double jumping without allowing the player to jump anywhere. So you can only make your first jump when grounded only, but can then double jump. It's hard to explain.
    - Adds an option on the Health component to revive at the initial point (useful for AI controlled characters).
    - Adds CollindingAbove and CollidingBelow animation parameters (in addition to the Left/Right already there). These are updated via the Character component.
    - Improves the weapon's state machine
    - Adds an option to hide mobile controls in editor, regardless of the current target build or forced mode.
    - Adds a new UseAnimationParameter to weapons, different from SingleUseAnimationParameter, and which is true after the weapon starts and until it stops
    - Fixes a bug where CharacterLevelBounds set on an enemy would trigger the player's death/respawn
    - Fixes a bug that would cause glitches if the level was smaller than the camera's size.
    - Fixes a few bugs on semi auto weapons with delay before use.
    - Fixes a bug with button activated zones where AutoActivation and Grounded requirement would conflict.
    - Fixes a typo in the CorgiController's physics interface
    - Fixes incorrect weapon offset x value when the weapon is flipped.
    - Fixes Stompable's damage initiator attribution
    - Fixes ability initialization errors in Unity 5.6
    - Prevents an error in AIFollow if there's no LevelManager in the scene
    - Fixes a possible null exception on progress bars
    - Fixes incorrect button binding on the wooden control board at the start of Mesa1
    - Fixes a bug that wouldn't take into account collider offset on level bounds behaviours.
    - Updates PostProcessing Effects to 1.0.1
    - Improves jump feeling on pixel, hipster demos, and removes unused character prefab
    - Switches to forced text asset serialization
    - Removes a dependency to the CameraController from the LevelManager class.

Muppo, Bagnol, Zehru and 1 other person like this.
  26. zzmingo

zzmingo

I just buy this wonderful engine yestoday, it saved my all day works.
    One question, when i dash my character to the level bounds, it will alwasy being a state of dash, how to fixes it?
    I just set dash distance to 0.2, force to 1 and cooldown to 0.2.

27. reuno

reuno

@zzm_mifunstudio > In general I'd suggest putting walls on your level bounds. They're not meant to stop your character like a wall would, they're meant to kill it or stop the camera. So usually you'll want to place walls to the left and right, aligned to your bounds. They can be invisible of course, just regular colliders without a sprite/model.

28. lightlight

lightlight

Hello Reuno!
    I found that the Death Force on the Health ability does not work as expectation. When my player die, he falls naturally. I have to log the Speed. When the player die, Death Force seems to be applied correctly according to the log( which shows the exact value of Death Force like (0.0, 20.0)). But at the next update the speed value drops to (0.0, 0.0) immediately. Obviously it doesn't work. Please tell me what's happening in this issue. Thanks.

29. reuno

reuno

@lightlight > I don't reproduce the problem, just gave it a try in the minimal demo scene, I log the CorgiController's Speed for the corgi on Update, and just walk straight to the urchin. I log "death" when contact happens and the corgi dies, as you can see this seems to be working as expected :
    upload_2017-4-3_11-46-26.png

I'd need more details to tell you what's wrong with your setup here. If the problem persists, please send me an email on the support email address, easier for me to track issues and help you.

30. zzmingo

zzmingo

Thanks, I made it work from your demos.
    Today i found another problem with myself, first, the env of my project:
    1. Unity 5.5.2f1
    2. InputManager: disable auto mobile detection, force mobile, control with joystick
    3. Joystick and A simple buttonA added
    4. Build with iOS

The strange thing is when i tap buttonA, the main character didn't jump, so i tried check it myself, I found something:

InputManager.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         public virtual void JumpButtonDown()        {
    3.             Debug.Log ("down");
    4.             JumpButton.State.ChangeState (MMInput.ButtonStates.ButtonDown);
    5.             Debug.Log (JumpButton.State.CurrentState);
    6.         }
    7.         public virtual void JumpButtonPressed()        {
    8.             Debug.Log ("pressed");
    9.             JumpButton.State.ChangeState (MMInput.ButtonStates.ButtonPressed);
    10.         }
    11.         public virtual void JumpButtonUp()            {
    12.             Debug.Log ("up");
    13.             JumpButton.State.ChangeState (MMInput.ButtonStates.ButtonUp);
    14.         }
    CharacterJump.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         protected override void HandleInput()
    3.         {
    4.             if(_inputManager.JumpButton.State.CurrentState != MMInput.ButtonStates.Off) {
    5.                 Debug.Log ("input " + _inputManager.JumpButton.State.CurrentState);
    6.             }
    8.             if (_inputManager.JumpButton.State.CurrentState == MMInput.ButtonStates.ButtonDown)
    9.             {
    11.                 Debug.Log ("handle jump");
    12.                 JumpStart();
    13.             }
    14.             if (_inputManager.JumpButton.State.CurrentState == MMInput.ButtonStates.ButtonUp)
    15.             {
    16.                 JumpStop();
    17.             }
    18.         }
    Logs:
    -----------
    down
    ButtonDown
    input ButtonPressed
    pressed
    -----------

It's strange so I don't continue to do deeper checking, it's better ask you here.

Is it because that I add a lot of AI character to the scene with CharacterJump component?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  31. zzmingo

zzmingo

Code (CSharp):
    2.         protected virtual void LateUpdate()
    3.         {
    4.             if (CurrentState == ButtonStates.ButtonUp)
    5.             {
    6.                 CurrentState = ButtonStates.Off;
    7.             }
    8.             if (CurrentState == ButtonStates.ButtonDown)
    9.             {
    10.                 Debug.Log ("change to pressed");
    11.                 CurrentState = ButtonStates.ButtonPressed;
    12.             }
    13.         }
    After added this log, I found the key, I can solve it, but maybe not a best practise.

Note: This function LateUpdate will be executed early than CharacterJump's function HandeInput.

32. zzmingo

zzmingo

I didn't said that before, it only happend in iOS target.

Edit:
    Upgrade unity to 5.6.x, it's working again...solved.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  33. reuno

reuno

@zzm_mifunstudio > I don't reproduce the problem, so I'm not sure what exactly happened there. I'm glad it's working though. If you have other questions like these, please send me an email on the support email address, easier for me to track issues and help you.

34. Plott

Plott

@reuno

Im playing around with your platforms, one question. I having moving platforms and falling platforms, is there a way to reset the moving platforms if the player dies similar to auto respawn with a falling platform? (i could just missing something)

35. reuno

reuno

@Plott > There's not right now. I can definitely add that to the next release though, it's a nice feature to have.

Zehru likes this.
  36. Jasinka

Jasinka

@reuno Can you please explain how to fix this or how remove? I tried wait but no success...
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

37. reuno

reuno

@Jasinka > If you want to remove them, just select the PostProcessing folder, and remove it.
    You'll also need to remove the PostProcessing component that is on the MainCamera in most scenes.

38. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno
    I'll surely fix my scene by not letting the sides of the platform exposed, but I would like to know, is it a bug?
    P.S: this is a test scene, so please don't care about its funny appearance. ^_^ maybe a bug.gif

39. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > That's a limit of the raycast based controller, yes. If you have weirdly placed colliders, that will happen. If you're going for that kind of layouts, go for a physics based controller.

Zehru likes this.
  40. Zehru

Zehru

thanks for the fast reply :D
    nah it's okay. I know that this was a really weird placement for a collider, it was just a test :)
    thank you.

reuno likes this.
  41. Jasinka

Jasinka

Thanks for helping! :)
    Do you have idea implement in app purchase or admob watch for reward or smth like this?

Thaaaanks.

42. reuno

reuno

@Jasinka > There's no support for anything like that in the asset, as it's something that is already covered by Unity natively or via other dedicated assets/plugins that will do it much better. The asset focuses on platforming. So I don't really have anything to recommend regarding ads :)

Jasinka likes this.
  43. Muppo

Muppo

I used to have similar issues so I edited one single collision polygon which cover both platforms instead having these two platforms crossed and it worked fine for me. This is not a "all level in one piece" thing, tho, but it works for critical points.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    reuno and Zehru like this.
  44. Zehru

Zehru

Thank you :D
    I think this will help a lot :D

Muppo likes this.
  45. neshius108

neshius108

Hello!

I have found this engine and I would like to have some info about it:

- It is called a 2/2.5D engine, is there any sample for doing 2.5D with only 2D sprites (à la Castle Crushers)? In the file listing on the Unity store and all the videos I could find on YouTube, I could only find 2D or 3D games, nothing concerning 2.5D games.
    - Would I need to properly adapt the background/ground images for a 2.5D game with Corgi, or is it automatically handled by the engine?

Thanks!

46. reuno

reuno

@neshiu108 > Castle Crushers is not a 2.5D game, it's a fully 2D game. It's not a platformer though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here, or what this has to do with the engine :) A 2.5D game is simply a 2D based gameplay with 3D assets. The engine handles both.
    If you're asking about parallax, then of course it's included in the asset.

47. neshius108

neshius108

What I am talking about is that in Castle Crashers, Double Dragons, or any other game with similar gameplay (e.g. Beat'em ups), the assets are all 2D but the movements are not restricted to a 2D plane. So the player can move on a 3D plane while everything else is 2D.

Btw, Wikipedia describes it as: "[2.5D] is a term used to describe either 2D graphical projections and similar techniques used to cause images or scenes to simulate the appearance of being three-dimensional (3D) when in fact they are not, or gameplay in an otherwise three-dimensional video game that is restricted to a two-dimensional plane or has a virtual camera with a fixed angle."

So, slightly modified question: is there a sample for making a CC or Double Dragons type of game with Corgi?

48. reuno

reuno

@neshiu108 > I completely agree with that definition from Wikipedia (and that's what I was trying to explain). 2.5 is a 2D gameplay in a 3D world. I can see how that could apply to CC though. So to be more accurate, in the Corgi Engine, 2.5D refers to gameplays such as limbo for example, or Inside (minus the background > foreground movements).

So no, there are no examples of that, as CC or Double Dragon aren't platformers. As you very justly point out, they're beat'em ups, but in terms of gameplay they're (what I'd call) top down action games. I'm working on a solution for that. It will be a separate asset from the Corgi Engine, as really these two kind of games don't have much in common when it comes to core mechanics.

49. neshius108

neshius108

Ohh, good to hear that you are working on something like that, too bad for the fact that they are not included.

I want to make a 2.5D platformer, that's why Corgi attracted my attention :O

50. neshius108

neshius108

@reuno: so, would it be possible to make a CC/DD-styled platformer with Corgi?