Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

To all those who had the following error after installing Unity 5.3.1 :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Invalid AABB result
    2. aabb.IsFinite()
    3. Invalid AABB a
    4. IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)
    5. IsFinite(outDistanceAlongView)
    note that the good people at Unity have released patch 5.3.1p1 that solves the problem. You can get it at http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

2. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Interesting... Do you mind sharing what you hacked as i am planning to use rewired as well. Bit scared of making the jump though. I use InControl, but it lacks a few things that Rewired seem to offer.
    InControl: I had to change input manager to CorgiInputManager and that was it.
    Thanks for your intel.

3. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

My game uses the exact same setting, my character / platforms are 2D. but All the rest is 3D.
    When i need collisions i flap on a 2D collider and thats about it. Corgi engine works fine with 2.5d (almost) out of the box. The orthographic camera that ships with corgi does not always do the things you would love to. But it's easy to fix with code in the corresponding lines such as zoom or follow by speed etc. I hardly needed to touch the scripts to make it work in 2.5D / 3D.

I've send some screenshots to Reuno a few ago on my level layout, I am still holding it back to the main public as i still not feel comfortable and want to work more on the game ... And besides this thread is about the engine not my stuff :)

2.5D works awesome so far with minor hacks while keeping performance. However looking forward to Reuno's solution.

All the best!

4. reuno

reuno

Hey people !

I'm super proud to announce that my new asset, the Infinite Runner Engine, has just been released on the asset store.
    Here's the release trailer :

If you've ever wanted to create an infinite/endless game, now's the time! I just can't wait to see what you guys will come up with, and I really hope you'll like it :)

You can see a full list of features over at its dedicated page, or on the forum thread.

And with that I'm back to the 3D update of the Corgi Engine, coming soon to an Asset Store near you!

Jkc_dev, KeepTrying and jprocha101 like this.
  5. josker

josker

This looks great, taking a look.

6. warwolf2015

warwolf2015

I NEED to ask some question
    How to destroy a gameobject projectile in script pathedprojectile when it collision . like a gameobject in simple projectile script
    thanks

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      247.1 KB
      Views:
  7. reuno

reuno

@warwolf2015 > I'm sorry but I don't understand your question.

8. warwolf2015

warwolf2015

thanks for fast reply please look a picture sorry for my English
    in question I mean I need to destroy a cannon ball when it collision with object in platform layer
    like a laser form red robot if it collision with object it will be destroy

I try to edit PathedProjectile script but I doesn't work it will be fire to destination

9. reuno

reuno

I'm really sorry but it's super hard to understand. I've looked at the picture but it's not helping.
    Maybe others will be able to understand what you mean.

10. warwolf2015

warwolf2015

ok I will try to explain. please wait

11. reuno

reuno

@warwolf2015 > send me an email on the support email with your question and your invoice number, thanks.

12. warwolf2015

warwolf2015

ok
    I make I new picture for you

Attached Files:

• dwad.jpg
      dwad.jpg
      File size:
      315.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  13. reuno

reuno

As I said, send me an email.

14. warwolf2015

warwolf2015

ok I fix it now. thanks for reply .you asset is great
    if you develop a new asset please tell me I look forward to buy it.
    I need many resource to make this project.

but I need to ask you a few question
    if I build a game by use you asset. Can I sell my game?

15. reuno

reuno

@warwolf2015 > glad you fixed it.
    Actually I just released a new asset : the Infinite Runner Engine.
    And yes of course, if you've bought the asset you can use it in a commercial game.
    Next time if you have other questions please send me an email, thanks.

16. arkhament

arkhament

Hi @reuno, no discount for people who bought CorgiEngine? :)

17. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

Any date on when multiplayer will be out?

18. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > Wish I could, but unfortunately the Unity back office doesn't allow for such fanciness.
    @Bonzotaz1 > No release date yet. Each new version of Unity comes with heavy changes (and bugs) to the network, so it's taking more time than expected.

Jkc_dev likes this.
  19. Jawadov

Jawadov

Can you please add 3D models to this great engine ?

20. reuno

reuno

Yup, the next update will be focused on 3D.

jprocha101 likes this.
  21. jprocha101

jprocha101

@reuno I know you don't do ETAs, but do you have a ballpark estimate on this? 1 month, 3 months, more than 6 months, etc. Of course, that is given no major obstacles come up.

I want to figure out what project to start working on next. I'm thinking about a 2.5d game but if there is enough time I will start another in the meantime.

Thanks!

22. reuno

reuno

@jprocha101 > I'd go for 1 month, but as you said, I don't do ETAs :).

jprocha101 likes this.
  23. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Super, looking forward to this (and the endless runner asset after this game)
    Do you have info about the spine climb animations? Thank you.

24. reuno

reuno

@vi54 > Nope, the Spine forums look quite dead right now, I'm not super confident this will ever get fixed.

25. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Aw thats a shame, too bad. I'l have to get crafty then. Thanks for the update.

26. jprocha101

jprocha101

That's great news! And congrats on the endless runner asset, it looks sweet!

27. jocyf

jocyf

To integrate 2DCameraPro into Corgi:

The corgi camera has some functions that are called from LevelManager, and CharacterBehabior.
    So when you want to use the Camera Pro you can start by comenting those calls. Later, once you have all setup and working as it should work, you can create the functions you just comented before as plugins un CameraPro and make those calls again (lookup, lookDown, Shake -> 2DCameraPro has sa Shake function included).

The calls are:
    Levelmanager - > Function KillPlayerGo() -> cameraController.FollowsPlayer.
    Levelmanager - > Function Start() -> as a refenrence to find the cameraController.

CharacterBehabior -> Function Awake() -> as a refenrence to find the cameraController.
    CharacterBehabior -> Function VerticalMovement() -> sceneCamera->LookUp(), sceneCamera->ResetLookUpDown(), sceneCamera->LookDown()
    CharacterBehabior -> Function Dive() -> sceneCamera->Shake().

Create the CameraPro using SpeedBasedZoom and 2DForwardFocus to achieve some really cool effects and deactivate or delete the original Corgi's camera from your scene.

I think that's it. Take into account that I did this using a previous corgi's version and some things may had change in the last version.

Endi24 and captnflem like this.
  28. jocyf

jocyf

One question: Some times in some demo scene (mesa1) the character doesn't detect the turned platforms and just fall throught them. It happens only sometimes (i tested in two diferent computers). I tested in a empty project just after importing the Corgi project to discard mine own code.
    I'm the only one with this problem?

29. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

I do had it yes, I jumped against a rigid body and fell trough the floor
    Not sure how to prevent this, but i am on the case as we speak (write)

30. reuno

reuno

@joycf > What version of Unity / the corgi engine are you using ?
    I haven't had any report of stuff like that for quite a few versions now, but if you manage to find a reproducible case on the latest version I can have a look.

31. jocyf

jocyf

I'been trying it right now in Unity 5.3.1 and the last corgi version 1.7.1 and that error has gone.

But I notice that the corgi player character in Mesa 1 doesn't fall at the same velocity all the times I press a single jump.
    Sometimes it goes down at the spected speed and some other times it falls much faster -when I make a single jump whithout maintaining pressed the jump button (just press and release the space key right away)-.
    It happens sometimes only when going left (moving right is ok) and sometimes only going right (so then going left is OK == the player falls at the right velocity).
    Changing the gravity (from -15 to -10 in the character ) doesn't affect at this error. It continues falling at different speed.

Tested in a clean project. If you can't reproduce this behabior I could try to capture it in video and send you by email or something.

Regards and congratulations for your new asset (it sounds interesting, maybe I'll buy it in the near future).

32. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

A 3d platformer? Gezzz can you focus on inventory first?

33. reuno

reuno

@jocyf > Glad to learn the "falling through the ground" error is gone. I've added lots of safeguards against that, would have been sad to know there were still cases where it happened. Regarding the jump/fall speed, have you tried disabling press controlled jumps ? The way the release of the button is handled will cause small differences in speed. You shouldn't have that problem without press proportionate jumps.
    @DeanMarquette > I usually choose for the next release what's been asked the most. 2.5D wins by far, and it's long overdue. So far inventory is ranking pretty low, but you just pushed it up a little :)

34. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

I want the inventory system too please..

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  35. jocyf

jocyf

Hi again, I've tested disabling "press proportionate jumps" and the error has gone as you said.

I suppose that you are doing that in CharacterBehavior.cs Line 173:
    _controller.AddForce(newVector2(0,BehaviorParameters.JumpButtonReleaseForce * Mathf.Abs(_controller.Parameters.Gravity) * Time.deltaTime));

Had you tried applying a force down proportional to the current controller.speed.y? It's just an idea...

36. reuno

reuno

@jocyf > You're completely right, that's where the force is added.
    I could try tweaking that to improve the feeling. I'll add that to my todo list.

37. reuno

reuno

@jocyf > Could you try replacing the line you quoted with :
    _controller.SetVerticalForce(0);

That should provide a more consistent behavior. What it does is simply reset the force applied at jump start, so the gravity takes over.

38. jocyf

jocyf

I tested using your _controller.SetVerticalForce(0); and definitely it falls much better. One error fixed, lol.
    I'm going to keep this line in the code in my project commenting the old one.

Thanks for your great, quick support.

39. reuno

reuno

@jocyf > Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep that change in the next update. Maybe keep a possibility to tweak that.

40. captnflem

captnflem

Hello @reuno :)

I've a question about updating to 1.7.1:

if i've a pretty "modified" version of your engine right now, will updating rolback to a "vanilia" version of the engine? I guess it's makes sens but i'll be then completly lost i guess...

For now Unity keeps tell me that some things (for exemple emissionEnable which is now enable.emission, for exemple, i'm not even sure but anyway...) well.

In summary: unity 5.3 broke a bit Corgi, but Corgi 1.7.1 will broke my custom version of Corgi?

Cheers, best wishes and happy new year, of course :)

41. reuno

reuno

@captnflem > It all depends from what version you're upgrading, and how you've "modified" the engine.
    If you've followed the good practices, and my recommendations (
    ), you'll be fine. If you've altered the scripts directly, then yes, you'll lose your changes. If you've made these changes like that, then you can always try to diff the files, but obviously that's not a fun process. That's why it's always better to extend/override library classes than modifying them.

42. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

@reuno Hey, I remember you had different kinds of jump methods at some point in corgi engine but you removed it in later version like digital jump or analog jump or something. One of those methods had a really good feel while jumping, Why did you remove that feature ? Is it possible to make the jump not related with physics... Because its really difficult to tweak it at that proper exact settings with the right feeling.

Also looking forward to the 3D/2.5d feature :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  43. reuno

reuno

@painkiller2007 > as far as I remember I haven't removed jump options. You still have two main choices : proportional to tap/press length or not (ie a constant height jump). Plus there are a lot of parameters you can tweak to get the jump you want (impulse strength, gravity, etc). And the jump is not related to physics, that's the whole point of the asset, it's not physics based :)
    And yes, the 2.5D feature is coming along fine, you should get it within a month now, adding some minor bugfixes to it at the moment.

44. udede

udede

My Game :)

Jkc_dev likes this.
  45. reuno

reuno

46. tb

tb

Is there some way to download CorgiEngine Documentation? It would be cool.

47. reuno

reuno

@tb > Right now there's not, but I guess I could add that to the next release. I'll think about it.

48. Jake_W

Jake_W

Will there ever be support to were the characters gun would follow my mouse?

49. reuno

reuno

@Jake_W > Yes, I think in an upcoming update I'll revamp the whole weapon system, which I think this far can be quite confusing to some people, and I'll add support for double stick and mouse (which comes down to pretty much the same thing).

LoDx likes this.
  50. joncoulter

joncoulter

@reuno -- They just wanted to let you know that I'm really loving the Corgi engine. I'm new to Unity and this has really helped me better understand how things within unity can be organized.

I do have a question: I want to make a platformer where the player is continually moving (not a continual runner like the new thing you just released). This is in the spirit of something like Rayman Jungle Run. In those games, you just jump and hit, but the forward movement is always going. And when you get to a wall, you wall jump off of the wall to change direction back.

So I'm wondering how to best implement this within the world of Corgi engine. The most obvious thing is to modify the InputManager to add something like:

_player.SetHorizontalMove(1f);

around line 73. (I'm just modifying your existing code for now rather than inheriting from it and making a "cleaner" set of changes. This is all proof of concept stuff).

This keeps the player moving, but doesn't account for moving left, nor does the engine do wall jumping in such a way to match the behavior I need.

Any thoughts or directions? I'm very comfortable within Unity and Corgi at this point -- and very well versed at C# -- but rather than just putting my own thoughts into place, I wanted to get your input.

Ideas?

- Jon