Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

Hey !

Good news everyone, I've just released v1.7.1 of the Corgi Engine!

It's a minor version that fixes a few bugs, and supports Unity 5.3 (no more sprite bugs or pesky warnings).
    The 1.7.0 version is still available for a few weeks on the store for people who haven't upgraded to 5.3 yet.

Here are the release notes :
    - Adds support for Unity 5.3
    - Adds more customization options to AISimpleWalk, allowing for more varied agents
    - Adds an option to draw (or not) collision raycast on CorgiController
    - Updates features and documentation links in the readme
    - Fixes a bug that could happen when rapid firing dialogue zones
    - Prevents a collision bug that could happen when going down a 1-way platform near a wall

My initial plan was to release a much bigger update, but I didn't want people to upgrade to 5.3 and encounter weird bugs, and at the same time I didn't want to rush what I have in store for the next version. So there we go.

Edit : As usual, if you like the asset, please, please put a nice note / review on the Asset Store, it keeps me going, thanks!

I'm still hard at work on the 3D update (well, 2.5D) of the Corgi Engine, and here's a sneak peek!
    upload_2015-12-14_20-54-39.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. udede

udede

how to save and load game in corgiEngine?

3. reuno

reuno

4. udede

udede

reuno likes this.
  5. AlGerbaz

AlGerbaz

Hi all, apologies if this has been answered before, or if it is already in an update. Has anyone had success getting AI agents to climb ladders? I have managed to get it working to some extent by randomising the vertical move value when they reach the top or bottom. But obviously this is less than ideal. Just wondering if anyone has implemented a more elegant solution. Thanks.

6. reuno

reuno

@AlGerbaz > I've never tried it myself, but it seems pretty straightforward. You have ways to detect if a character is colliding with the top or the bottom of a ladder (just look at CharacterBehavior.cs, it's all in there). Then what you want to do is this :
    - is the character colliding with the top or the bottom of a ladder ?
    - if yes, move it in the appropriate direction at a constant speed
    - if it reaches the ground or the top, move it left or right

7. AlGerbaz

AlGerbaz

Thanks. Yes that is more or less the logic. I still haven't got it quite perfect, and i seem to need to give the AI a nudge to exit the ladder (and not simply loop up and down). I'll keep playing with it.

8. Kanos

Kanos

I downloaded 1.7.1, but see no differences in any of the script files.
    Am I the only one with this problem?

9. reuno

reuno

@Kanos > I just gave it a try and it seems ok.
    Maybe you haven't updated to Unity 5.3 yet ? If you haven't that's normal, 1.7.1 (and the next releases) only work for 5.3+

A few ways to check if you got the right package :
    - on the startscreen it should say 1.7.1 at the bottom
    - if you can see the Corgi when you launch the Mesa1 scene in Unity 5.3, you got the right one :)
    - Line 68 of scripts/gui/DialogueBox.cs should be "if (TextPanel != null)"

10. Lezalith

Lezalith

Hey everyone... I'm kinda new to making games kinda stuff, so my apologies if this is a stupid question, but...
    I was thinking, instead of placing platforms (including the ground) one by one, wouldn't it be better to draw entire scene and then mark out the and solid areas? If that's even possible, of course.

11. reuno

reuno

@Lezalith > There are no stupid questions :) And that's a very good one. Right now, and out of the box, there are no real ways to do that in Unity. You could import a large scene drawing, and add polygon colliders, that works, but maybe you won't get exactly what you want if you have certain edge cases (a hole in one of your platforms, stuff like that). There are also dedicated assets (Ferr2D comes to mind) that are designed to do stuff like that. And of course there's a scheduled update of Unity (early 2016 I think), that should improve 2D scene creation, and allow you to "paint" with tiles and stuff, looks really promising.

The reason why I included "separate" elements in the asset (instead of one big drawing + colliders on it) is that it's easy for people to understand, and it allows you to quickly prototype your game, tweak your jumps, the placement of your platforms, and that's usually how I work, by iterating a lot.

The Corgi Engine will work fine as long as you use Collider2Ds (box, polygons, etc...), so it's really up to you to chose one method or the other :)

12. Kanos

Kanos

Ahh that explains it. I hadn't gone to 5.3 yet. Thanks

13. Cruz510

Cruz510

Do You Think That You Can Make SMARTER AI's for the enemies that way the enemies can keep up with the players ability to dash and shoot in 360 directions. I bet that if we had smart AI enemies. the asset would be one of the best on the asset store. which in fact already is one of the top assets of the asset store. CONGRATZ!!

14. reuno

reuno

@Cruz510 > Can you give me examples of 2D platformers with great enemy AI ?
    That doesn't sound like a common feature in a platformer, at least in the ones that come to mind, but if you have examples I can see what I can do.

15. Zarbuz

Zarbuz

Happy Birthday to Corgi Engine ! Always very useful as asset ;)

matteo-piccioni likes this.
  16. udede

udede

Hello Corgi Engine :)

I get this warning

Parameter 'Speed' does not exist.
    UnityEngine.Animator:SetFloat(String, Single)
    AIMoveOnSight:Update() (at Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/ai/AIMoveOnSight.cs:82)

17. reuno

reuno

@udede > Well that's pretty self explanatory.
    I'm not sure what the context is, but right now Unity is telling you that you need a Speed parameter in your animator.
    When/how does that happen ?

18. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

This is all looking pretty awesome. I'm just wondering is there an aiming option for weapons like Soldat or does it just shoot at fixed angles like Metal Slug ?

19. reuno

reuno

@Cactus_on_Fire > Right now the asset includes options to either shoot straight ahead, 8-ways, or free 360°. And of course you can extend all that to suit your own needs.

20. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Nice. Thx for the fast info :)

How about reloading and enemy AI ? I'm sure theres a way to fire like automatic weapons with using Mouse1 button. Is it possible to reload and have ammunition limits as well as ammunition pickups ?

Also does the AI have a behaviour tree to perform more comlpex tasks ? Like wait for friends, run when health is low, pick path according to the enemy, use specific weapons ?

21. reuno

reuno

Well there's a full list of features over there : http://www.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-best-unity-2d-platformer
    If it's not in the list, it's probably not in the asset. Might be faster :)
    There's no reloading built in, but again, the idea behind the asset is to give you examples of a wide range of features that you can build on. Adding reloading would be pretty easy.
    And no, the AIs included are pretty basic, stuff like what you'd find in classic platformers (mario, sonic, megaman), nothing as complex as what you describe.

22. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Ah. Ok man, thanks for the replies :)

23. zenGarden

zenGarden

Please fix the water.
    -The characeters fall too fast when he enters or fall in water, thi is pretty unrealistic water
    - The dash move is too strong in water compared with no water areas
    - Swim animation is missing

24. reuno

reuno

@zenGarden > You can change the water settings from the inspector.
    But yes, good point, I could change the dash, or maybe disable it underwater, and add a parameter to the animator. I'll add that to the next release.

zenGarden likes this.
  25. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well is there support for the new Apple TV controller?
    thank you!
    great engine... i like it :)
    M.

26. reuno

reuno

@Muckel > Never tried it, but if Unity supports it, then yes, you'll be able to create a game for it.

27. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well got lot's of error messages in the console...
    Using Unity 5.3.1f1
    Just created a new project and import Corgi Engine from Asset Store...
    If i play the Demo Scenes i get this errors...
    What can i do?
    thx
    M.

28. reuno

reuno

@Muckel > Never seen that error, and it's never been reported so far. I haven't tried 5.3.1 yet but I know some people have and haven't reported any error so I don't think that'd be the reason.
    I'd suggest creating a new project and reimporting maybe. Make sure you don't include the standard assets.

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity 5.3 has lot of bugs. You could use some older version like 5.2x or wait until 5.3 becomes more stable.

30. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

I am trying to integrate Corgi in my platformer project, so i imported corgi as a new project and then just copied it in my existing project. Actually i wanted to use corgi-follower with my non-corgi player-target by setting _target transform. Of course it could no be so easy :) In demo scenes player bounces once on the ground then immedetly dies and respawns. I tryied just to copy follower and Level/GameManagers. After all i ended with some error messages with no stacktrace attached, like "IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)". What could it be? What would be the easiest way to integrate Corgi in an existing project?

Of course i understand that Corgi does not intended to be used this way, but in case you have some considerations/ideas i would be gratefull.

31. reuno

reuno

@maltakereuz > I don't know what your original project is, or how it works, and I can't guess that.
    My advice would be too look at that tutorial, it explains the basics.

32. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Thank you. Already watched. Actually it works with followers. I just read above post of Muckel. Seems i have same "IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)"-problem with 5.3.2f.

33. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    i just tested Corgi with all my Computers and Unity 5.3.1f1 with Apple TV support
    Corgi engine throws lot's of errors on all machines... So i can not try it on Apple TV :-(
    If i open a demo Scene and play it i get in a second 999+ errors like this on all machines:
    @reuno plz can you check it too? Maybe there is a simple solution to get rid of the Problem.

34. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well after digging the forums about the issues i found this:

35. reuno

reuno

@Muckel > Ok I just updated to 5.3.1 to check it out myself, and I can confirm, I also get these errors.
    I'll try and find if there's a fix but as mentioned in that thread you point to, it seems to be on Unity's side of things (that's usually the case when you see C++ errors popping up, never a good sign).
    In the meantime the only workaround I see is using 5.3.0 (or 5.2) until they release a fix.

Edit : This seems to be caused by particle effects (nothing specific to the corgi engine). If you really don't want to go back to 5.3.0 I'd suggest removing all particle effects from your scene(s).

Muckel likes this.
  36. Muckel

Muckel

@reuno > thx well i go back to 5.3 ....
    i just wanted to try out the new Apple TV over christmas... your engine looks like optimal for it ;-)
    Hope you will implement the controller support for it soon ;-)
    thx
    M.

37. Hendrixlt

Hendrixlt

Someone may have already asked, but I see there is support for Esoteric Spine.

Is there support for BrashMonkey Spriter?

Thank you.

38. reuno

reuno

@Hendrixlt > There are no Spriter examples included, but based on the Spine and the regular spritesheet examples, you should have no trouble implementing it.

39. Seiraniel

Seiraniel

I'm using Spine for animations and I already have a character controller but it's giving me headaches as it occasionall breaks along the way. I'm looking into another potential solution and I wanted to know if it would work with Spine. I read that you don't have Spine support yet but I already have my own working animation controller. Also, action is mostly melee and not ranged. Would that work well with your controller?

40. reuno

reuno

41. Seiraniel

Seiraniel

Thanks for the quick response. Your asset looks quite good. I'm starting to regret not getting it when it was on sale a few days ago. I forgot to ask but my game is 2.5D but the characters uses 2D collision (Box Colliders 2D) so I guess there wouldn't be a problem there with Corgi but I'll ask just to be sure.

Not yet sure if I'll buy but I'm certainly leaning towards it. Keep up the good work!

42. reuno

reuno

Right now the asset doesn't "officially" support 2.5D. Which means there aren't examples of 2.5D scenes included.
    That's actually the subject of the next update (coming within a month I guess), that will include a full 2.5D level.
    Of course you could create one right now, but know that you'd have to do some work on the camera controller, which right now only works for orthographic cameras.

43. Seiraniel

Seiraniel

Do you know if Corgi works well with ProCamera2D then? It's the camera controller I'm using at the moment.

44. reuno

reuno

No idea, never heard of it, but I don't see why it wouldn't if they've done their job correctly.

45. jocyf

jocyf

I've tested with ProCamera2D and it's perfectly compatible. I think I had to ignore some camera function call from corgi scripts (I don't remenber) but it was a piece of cake to get it working.

BTW: I've tested with Rewired too and after some modifications on Corgi Input script (corgi uses it's own input related script that modifies some bool vars used later by the corgi controller) it works great.

46. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Very important questions for me, please be honest and convince me.

Why should I use Corgi instead of Platformer Pro from JNA Mobile? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you

47. Cruz510

Cruz510

I was Thinking something like Shooter Type of AI's. so that the player can be challenged and then I would say something like a window in which we can change the Enemy's (DIFFICULTY) level.
    i guess some main features would be enemies movement and reaction to player's speed, also bullet speed, health levels, and damage they deal to player.

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  48. reuno

reuno

@jocyf > Thanks for this feedback, that's good news, I'm sure others will be happy to know the Engine works well with these assets :)
    @Hazneliel > I've never tried Platformer Pro, and I won't try to convince you. There's a full list of features available over at http://www.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-best-unity-2d-platformer, there are online demo available, there's one on Google Play, there are monthly updates and complete documentation. I'm doing my best to provide a great support and a cool asset to people. I really don't care about other assets or convincing people to buy mine. Make your own opinion :)
    @Cruz510 > These are good suggestions. I'll add that to my todo list!

49. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

@reuno I already bought Corgi, just wanted to be sure I made the right choice

50. reuno

reuno

@Hazneliel > Well if for some reason you're disappointed just let me know. Hopefully you'll like it :)