Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. dustingunn

dustingunn

Do you mind me asking what the solution was?

2. reuno

reuno

The problem was caused by a check for landings on one way platforms, that didn't take into account that type of walls.
    I added a lot of tweaks to the mix too. Hopefully I'll release that next version soon.

3. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Hey reuno, I've had my eye on your product for a while and I think I'm finally ready to go ahead with my idea and buy Corgi Engine!

I hate to be a bother but I just have one question. I see you've mentioned that you have plans for a key and chest, inventory system, and even multiplayer. These would help greatly with my game and I know you don't like to give dates, but if you're planning/working on these, do you see them being implemented this year?

Thanks and I can't wait to start building my game.

4. reuno

reuno

@TheRealFuzz > Multiplayer is definitely coming this year, but (as previously explained) as a separate asset. It'll share a lot of stuff, but having both single and multi player in the same asset was technically impossible while maintaining things simple enough.
    As for key and chest and inventory, I can't make any promises :) Don't buy the asset for what's coming. Buy it for what's already in it.

TheRealFuzz likes this.
  5. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Thanks for the fast reply, reuno! I definitely want to buy it for the current features, I was just wondering if it was better to wait for those features or look at adding my own or purchase another asset to integrate with Corgi Engine :)

6. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello reuno,
    I was using you AISimpleWalk script and I see that into onPlayerRespawnInThisCheckpoint you reset the localscale
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.localScale=new Vector3(1,1,1);
    This could create problem if the object is instantiate with a different scale from (1,1,1)
    I know that we should not use scaling (expecially non-uniform), but sometimes it can be handy, especially during prototypes
    Perhaps it would be better to use a parameter where to save the scale value rather than use (1,1,1) ?

7. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > That's very true. I'll update that. Thanks for spotting this.

8. dustingunn

dustingunn

What about the jumping against any angled wall making you fall through problem? I notice certain angles you don't even need to jump, just hit the corner at full speed.

9. reuno

reuno

@dustingunn > That's exactly the bug I was talking about :)

10. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno I noticed the little feature list said something like " although you can mix some physics with it, as you can see in the demo (the crates for example)." But in the mesa demo the crates seem to have no physics at all, is it in a different scene? I want to see how the regular 2d physics is integrated with corgi, somethings in my game that might be the way to go (getting boulders that can be stood on and rolled for instance) etc... I just don't see the said samples in the crates using physics.

11. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > Well that's remnants from a previous version of the crates, it's not the case anymore. I'll update the feature list, thanks for spotting this.

12. codejoy

codejoy

Does that mean it doesn't play nice with physics anymore? Or there are no other examples? Would one just throw in a rigidbody2d with some gravity on it and collider?

13. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > Sorry if that was not clear : that means it's not meant or designed to play nice with physics anymore. That doesn't mean you can't make both coexist (for example you can still "walk" on a physics powered crates), but you won't be able to push stuff for example, and most of the time the results can be pretty weird.
    I'll add a push system in the next update.

14. Triconcept

Triconcept

This is a beautiful system! From what I have played and seen so far it's really amazing! With my next paycheck I will def be purchasing this asset. I already have the game planned out, I have been looking for a system like this. Please know that a lot of people are grateful to you for this wonderful asset! I read reviews on the Asset Store and also noticed that you are actively supporting this asset. I have seen a lot of devs abandoning their assets after 6 months - 1 year. Just curious, do we need to credit you if we are releasing a commercial game? Although our team was going to credit you anyways. ;) I have looked through most of the pages here and didn't see anyone asking that.

15. reuno

reuno

@Triconcept > Thanks a lot :) And no, you don't need to credit me. You can do it if you want, of course, and it'll be appreciated, but no obligation here.

16. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, I want to ask if now all the art(Character and stages) can be used in a final project, in partially or totally?

Regards,

17. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Yes, as long as you've bought the asset, you can use all its parts in your game.

However, these are just meant as placeholders, and I would strongly suggest you replace them with your own art/characters. First of all, you don't want your game to look like all these other ones who just take the asset and compile it, then submit it to a store (please, respect yourself, don't do that). Then, they're included without source files, and at a relatively low def, so you can't really improve on them, or use them if you have at least basic quality standards. Again, these are just placeholders, I wouldn't use them as they are in a commercial game.

KeepTrying likes this.
  18. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

thx very much @reuno, my idea is implement only the stages sprites for the moment for the start point(until have something done by my hand).

again thx you very for your fast reply like always..

19. civeo

civeo

Hey Reuno, just bought your asset a month ago, loving it so far.
    Yet there are a couple of things I still need to work out in order to form my own project with your asset.
    One of these things Is that the shooting is way to fast for my sorta game, is there a fire delay somewhere where I can adjust the fire speed? Or is this something for in the future updates?

20. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein You're welcome :) I'd say the background parts are the most reusable ones, so good call. They're pretty hi def, and you can easily customize them, tweak their color and so on. Good call.
    @civeo > Well that's very easy to tweak. You just have to select your weapon's prefab, and in the inspector there's a Fire Rate variable you can change. For the MachineGun for example it's 0.2 (seconds between shots), so if you increase it to 1 for example, you'll only shoot once per second.

21. codejoy

codejoy

Maybe some pushing and stacking of crates and pushing of stacks? :D

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that sometimes there is a jitter or a lag and things sort of freeze. I have seen it on several pcs while developing and I am not sure if it is the dampening settings in my camera or what. To make sure it wasn't anything I did, I got the latest version of corgi in its own project located the mesa level. I notice it there as well... like you run left, turn right sharp and jump up the camera jitters a bit in doing so. Sometimes it also feels like things freeze and the catch up in my main project but I am not sure if that is corgi related. Though it has nothing but my character in it and its not that crazy of a game with lots of things in a scene: mostly a platform, enemy and a character not sure what is doing this.

I thought perhaps some asset pooling would help and I have a pooling system from the game before I converted to corgi and am using that, i see no difference in it though. Still will just jitter or lag once in a while. Any suggestions from anyone on where to look to fix this? For such a simple level I am worried once i get real assets in if it will get anyworse. Right now its bad enough to make you miss a jump if it decides to do that during platforming time..

22. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, I want to ask if is possible to do something like this:
    I mean to put gravity in crazy mode.
    If this is possible, could you give me some information on how to do, it should to take into mind, which method could start or something like that.

Regards

23. mimminito

mimminito

You would probably just want to inverse the gravity? I cannot try it right now but if I remember ill try this at work tomorrow. If you inverse the gravity when you hit a certain collision zone then you should go "upwards". You could then just flip the character's Y scale to -1

24. mimminito

mimminito

Just given it a go, and you would need to do a bit more work than just what I described. But it "could" work. However I dont know how easy it will be to flip the corgi character controller's raycasters to work upside down...

25. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > Haven't encountered that freeze, and it's never been reported so far. When does it happen ? On what device ?
    @Mr.Stein, @mimminito > Well it's certainly possible, but it could be pretty tricky. What you could do I guess is indeed reverse the gravity. That'll cause the character to move up and stick to the ceiling. Then you need to flip its appearance vertically, which can be easily done. Flipping the raycasting part can be done, but it's gonna be tricky and you could possibly break a lot of things. What I'd do is leave the raycasting part alone, and add some "inverted jump" mechanism, that would override the classic jump only when certain conditions are met (gravity inverted, colliding with a ceiling).

mimminito likes this.
  26. mimminito

mimminito

That seems like a better approach. My initial tests worked but jumping etc didnt work. Would be good to see if you get this working @Mr.Stein

27. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno it happens on my pcs (both beefy. one is an i7 generic the other is a gaming i5). It is strange once the freeze happens sometimes its like the physics were on a pause and they try to update. Like its lagging over the internet (I know its not but you know when a game plays 'catch up') and my guy will look like hes being forced down. It is very very odd. I am sure it has to be something I am doing or some setting I have in the project. Though i did build a new project and pull in the corgi from the asset store and I get this. it is in the editor, I am about to test as a full build to see if it does the same thing. Almost seems to happen most when the camera is in a zooming sort of transition.

I will update when I learn more on this... it is the only hiccup to corgi I have found so far and I am guessing it is purely related to my machine/setup. Btw your checkpoint code and system is genius and brilliant!

28. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > That is weird indeed, especially if it only happens in the editor. You can check if it's camera related easily, just disable the zoom, and see if it persists. I doubt that's the reason though, the camera zoom is really basic, nothing fancy here.

29. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno I agree I will check this. I did do a build of the straight corgi engine to a pc EXE and it seemed to run totally fine (silky smooth)....not sure. I will test on other pcs too. trying to do a build of my level using corgi but for some reason once built to .EXE the controls stop working... so cant move my guy. no idea why...works in editor in exe controls stop. Once i fix that I can test the rest to see if its just an editor problem and just on my machine.

30. codejoy

codejoy

stand by for some reason GameManagers is disappearing from my scene on start.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  31. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > Do you have the latest version of the asset ? (1.5.4) ?

32. codejoy

codejoy

Is there any way to see? I know I pulled the latest for the stand alone test. For my code base I am not sure, unless there is a way to tell.

33. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > the version number is written on the StartScreen scene.

34. codejoy

codejoy

1.5.2 is what I am on in my main game.

35. reuno

reuno

Alright. Well my advice, if you can, would be to update to 1.5.4, it fixes a lot of small stuff, and is way more stable.

36. codejoy

codejoy

Okay reloaded the scene, the game manager stopped disappearing, built to EXE and ran that 1.5.2 and it runs okay when not in the editor. So it seems to just lag when in the editor sometimes. No idea why. I will try on a different PC this evening and report back. Btw for the Rigidbody2d on my main character what do I want his Interpolate, Sleeping Mode and Collision Detection set to?

37. codejoy

codejoy

Do you have a change list of specific files touched. I was a bad bad programmer and started adding my tweaks to the main code base...couldn't figure out the proper way to do it where I didnt touch the main code base...

38. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > not very important but you'll be fine with none, start awake and discrete.
    Edit : and no file change list no, that's something I'm still working on. My advice would be to download the latest version in a new project and diff the files with your project's.
    If you have more questions, please send me an email or a MP, this is getting too long for this thread :)

39. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Hi Reuno,

Can I use this package to make a game like Super Mario or 2D Platformer like Mario?

Many thanks!

40. reuno

reuno

@Charlie_T > Well yes you can. The asset includes a lot of features you'll find in Mario games (obviously a huge inspiration), stuff like jumping, running, blocks that pop coins, enemies you can kill by jumping on their heads, ladders, jumpers, stuff like that. Have a look at the demo maybe, that should answer your question.

Charlie_T likes this.
  41. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Many thank Reuno.

42. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Hi Reuno,

When do you release new version?

Thanks

43. reuno

reuno

Charlie_T likes this.
  44. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello Reuno,

I modify your AIMoveOnSight script adding a public Transform variable to be able to check player approaching from different height, to able to move the enemy in vertical way
    This can be useful in case of enemy like spiders :)

I Hope this can be useful and added into standard corgi (in better way than I made)

ps. In your opinion how I could implement the back spider wire that extends ?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  45. CMeynard

CMeynard

reuno,
    Purchased your engine and extremely impressed. Cheers! I have already implemented Save/Load features and the transporter (I just call it a portal). What I wanted to say was your organization of the project and "correct" use of controllers / managers made this a piece of cake. Have you thought about the ability to swing and camera effects. Just some ideas for you. I am putting in a camera shake effect now and want to throw in swinging this weekend. Any new update.

46. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > For your back spider wire, I guess I'd use a simple line ?
    @CMeynard > I'm glad you like the engine and that the organization is to your liking :) Funny you added a portal, because that's one of the new features in the coming update. For your camera shake you might want to look at the one already included in the asset (it's in the camera script somewhere, and only (?) triggered when you dash vertically and hit the ground. Swinging/ropes is coming in a future update, but I haven't started working on it yet.

47. carmenkritzinger

carmenkritzinger

@reuno Hi there, having some trouble when the game is built - the camera doesn't appear to be following the player, all that is visible is the GUI and the sky, but everything else is out of view - sounds work, it sounds like everything is there, but can't see it. Doing something wrong? Thanks!

48. reuno

reuno

@carmenkritzinger > Well yes, you're probably doing something wrong. Please send me an email on the support email along with your invoice number and we'll sort it out.

49. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello reuno,
    I see into your Health.cs, Coin.cs... classes that you use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. gameObject.SetActive(false);
    instead of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Destroy (gameObject);
    There is a reason ?
    I am not an expert, but I think that If a enemy die or if I take a Coin is better use Destroy that unloads object from the memory and set reference to null
    SetActive should be used for object pooling of redundant objects (i.e. bullets)
    On low-memory devices or long games I think that, for 'one shot object', Destroy could help to prevent a crash.
    Thanks

50. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > Yes, there's a reason. That way you can respawn your enemies. Of course there are a lot of ways to do that, feel free to implement your own.

matteo-piccioni likes this.