Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno lol! yes I am on SVN now... so I might just stick with that and manually merge. You are def an excellent OOP programmer though, so many smart things done well in this. I already got the platform partrollings working. Good idea to check out the AIMoveOnSight.

2. dannydaboy1984

dannydaboy1984

i have try that but the dialog is only see in the play mode (pixel level) sorry i am a beginner

3. codejoy

codejoy

reuno likes this.
  4. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@dannydaboy1984 - you need to modify the messages in the Zone Dialog component of the GameObject that have it.
    For example: the Dude prefab have a Zone Dialog component, go there and you'll see the text messages.

5. dannydaboy1984

dannydaboy1984

on the pixel level there is a monster that say what when i hit the key i will change that text "Hello again little buddy"
    I can see it only when i hit on play (in unity) but the text its gone after stop and replay the game! Sorry i are a beginner and do at this time some testings!

Attached Files:

6. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Yes! Look at the Dude gameobject on the Hierarchy, do you see the DialogueZone component? Go there, and in the DialogueZone script are the texts that the Dude says.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    reuno likes this.
  7. dannydaboy1984

dannydaboy1984

i have the DialogueZone Script found but no text i see

Public void ChangeText.(string newText);
    {
    DialogueText..text = NewText;
    }

8. reuno

reuno

@dannydaboy1984 > Look at @Juaks's latest message. Look at the screen he posted, that's exactly what you want to do to change the text. No need to modify any code for that. Don't touch these scripts :)

9. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

10. dannydaboy1984

dannydaboy1984

i find it thank you

11. RichyK

RichyK

Hi all, I started a new project using Corgi (default target was PC), made a test level and all was good and then I changed it to target Android (and I don't want to have to change back and forth between the two as I'm targeting Android). I'd like to be able to use the keyboard within Unity (when targeting Android) as using a mouse on the mobile touch controls is a real pain, but then when I compile to apk I want to use the touch controls. Grrrr does anybody know how to accomplish that? It's hopefully just a checkbox somewhere, I don't know.

Richard

12. reuno

reuno

@RichyK > In the menu (file, edit...) there's a Mobile Input entry.
    Mobile Input > Enable : you get the mobile controls
    Mobile Input > Disable : back to keyboard/gamepad
    So yeah, no need to switch platforms.

This is specified in the readme by the way.

13. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I added a character that is bigger than your default ones. I've resized it's box collider 2D and moved the head collider accordingly but the character has sever collision problems, as it doesn't stand and constantly goes between jump and falling.

Is there anything else I should adjust when our character is different from Corgi ones?

14. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > There's a tutorial for that :

And as I asked you last time, if you have other questions like that, please use the support email, thanks.

15. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

We want more tutorial! :)

16. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni (and others) > what subject would you like to see covered in the next tutorial ?

Good news you guys, I've just submitted v1.5.4 to the asset store.
    It contains quite a lot of things.
    First of all, it requires Unity 5.1.1. I've removed all older packages, so now it's 1.5.4 or nothing. Maintaining all these versions (pre Unity 5, 4.6, etc...) added a lot of work, plus caused quite a lot of confusion to some people.
    As usual, expect a few days of delay before that submission and the availability on the Store.

Here's a list of what's new :
    - Adds bonus blocks that can spawn bonuses when hit from below. You can see an example of it in the Lava level.
    - Adds a tech demo on the Play Store
    - Adds a method + inspector checkbox to turn off Sfx
    - Adds a more detailed FAQ on http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit#faq. Please, please, read it before sending me an email.
    - Fixes a bug that caused the player to go through a moving platform on Mesa2.
    - Prevents the player from going through the ground when jumping down from a 1way platform and then dashing down instantly
    - Fixes a bug when jumping vertically to the edge of a block that would sometimes push the character back
    - Fixes a bug that could slightly reduce the jump height when jumping from a moving platform
    - Fixes a bug that could occur when jumping onto a 1way platform from below while not completely reaching its height, which resulted in the character being pushed up in the air
    - You can now use all characters in your game. Even though they're copyrighted, quite frankly, spending time explaining legal stuff to people took too much time, and I've got better things to do. So if you really think compiling an asset without adding anything original is the right thing to do, go ahead (as long as you've bought the asset, that is). Music and name are still copyrighted, and that won't change.
    - Fixes a bug that caused mobile controls to appear really small on some devices. Again, this asset is not about mobile controls. These are just placeholders, replace them with better ones, they're just for demo purposes. But now at least they should look ok on most devices.

After hours and hours of testing, I think this is getting really stable, so hopefully you'll like the update. I've tried maintaining retrocompatibility as much as possible (don't think I've broken anything actually). I hope you'll like the update, and if you encounter issues, please let me know and I'll fix them as soon as I can.

And one last thing, if you like the asset and/or the update, please put a nice note/review on the Asset Store, it'll keep me motivated for future updates :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  17. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hi Reuno..
    here some tutorials I thought...perhaps some not directly related to the asset...but I am sure that will be usefull to help
    people to have the max from corgi engine

- You could show how add to your first tutorial character the ability to shoot

- The right way to extend classes to be safe during asset updating

- You could show how add a SPINE character and how to change attachment to show a weapon rather than other (for example sword and axe)

- Based on the many request in this thread you could show how to change the current input controls for mobile with custom controls

- The way to break a big level into smaller pieces...and the way to place and remove runtime pieces accordingly the position of player
    (but maybe this could be a feature request of the engine...)

Thanks

ToxicShade likes this.
  18. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

I really don't know why people have problems with that, i'm using mobile controls, i've changed them easily and they work perfectly xD

All you need is to read his documentation and know how the engine is made.

Att: a beginner in this videogames development world.

jprocha101 and matteo-piccioni like this.
  19. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

But AFAIK you are not following the Asset Store rules when it comes to special licenses (as in not the standard Unity Store license) - which I believe is providing a license txt file that will show up in the Asset Store page for your package as a link.

From the Asset Store Provider Agreement:
    Not trying to be annoying and irritating, I apologize for posting about this again but I am just trying to help.

20. reuno

reuno

@Brainswitch > Removed my initial reply that completely missed your point :)
    That's a very good remark. I'll add that licence.txt file to the next update. I didn't know about that, thanks!

21. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

I have again the problem with the moving platforms, that when you are going down the character doesn't stay in the platform, he stays in the air, jumping on the platform =S

22. iGameiDev

iGameiDev

hey reuno or at least anyone in the thread does anyone know how to change the button mapping to allow you to do the attack animations using the right analog stick i.e you do multiple different animation of sword attacks and say the analog maps certain points and plays the animations to allow the attacks I tried to work it out but couldn't get it to work not that great of a programmer mind you still learning .... just wondering if anyone has a idea of how I could implement it in with the corgi engine easier

23. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello,
    some mobile performance report

I try Android build of Mesa1 level for three different devices
    - One Plus One: No problem, all is fast and smooth
    - Nexus 2013: fast and smooth, rare frame rate drop but playable
    - Xperia P (Android 4.0.4): very choppy, playable but not good for playstore
    The point to consider is that Mesa1 level is not so big as should be a full game level..for this reason the performance could be even worse.
    Obviously this is more due to the heaviness of unity rather than corgi engine,
    but for this reason I think that potential release on playstore should be at least for 4.4 version of Android, to avoid bad review from older devices

From Corgi side I think that some countermeasure could be taken to make the engine lighter, for example:

While playing into Unity editor I can see that in #Scene view all prefabs, all logic, all components of the level is running at the same time, even if only a small percentage of the level is visibile.
    In yours opinion could be a good idea add logic into each script to make them go into idle state if they are too far away from camera ?
    Suppose to attach 4 'sentinel' object to main Player prefab...this sentinels object should be placed a N, S, E and W from Player, outside the main camera.
    Each script should only check 'Am I beetween player and sentinel ?' If yes the the script could go from idle to running state.
    This implementation could improve overall performance ?

Another (better) way to improve the performance should be: break a big level into smaller pieces...and place and remove runtime pieces accordingly the position of player

24. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

You should remove the post processing effects on the camera and it will run properly.. Remove the vignette shader and other effects like bloom... they are not optimized to work on mobile phones. Once you do that..it works normal. try it out

matteo-piccioni likes this.
  25. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Thanks,
    the performance are really improved even on my old xperia P

But in my opinion way to improve performance should always be searched and implemented, especially for big level

26. mattjbarbosa

mattjbarbosa

First off, great asset! I recently purchased it during the 2D sale. I was wondering if it would at all possible to use Fungus in conjunction with your asset? I would love to be able to expand on the GUI text options you've added to Corgi using Fungus. Lastly, are there any additional assets on the Asset Store that you or anyone else could recommend that compliment Corgi? Thanks again for an amazing asset!

27. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I think you should wrap all the Corgi code (like InputManager) in a properly named namespace.

28. reuno

reuno

Hey, v1.5.4 is available for download on the Asset Store. As I mentioned last time, it requires Unity 5.1.1.

@Juaks > That problem with the moving platforms, does it happen on the demo levels, without any changes ? Do you have v1.5.4 of the asset ? Does it happen on the online demo ? Because I can't reproduce it.

@iGameiDev > The changes you want to make are in the InputManager.cs class. It's a pretty easy change to do, you should look at the official Unity doc on how to bind keys/axes, they'll explain it much better than I would.

@matteo.piccioni > as @painkiller2007 rightfully said (and as mentioned in the FAQ), turn down the Unity effects if you find the game to slow on your device. As you said, it's a general Unity issue. The asset and the demo levels in themselves are already quite light. If you target slow devices, you'll want to decrease the size of the assets (backgrounds, stuff like that...). There are of course a lot of possible ways to optimize stuff, but that'd add a lot of complexity to the asset. But feel free to break big levels into parts and stuff like that, it doesn't hurt.

@mattjbarbosa > I had never heard of Fungus until you mentioned it. Seems like a great asset, but I have no idea how it works. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the engine, but in this case you'd have to replace the Corgi Engine's dialogues with these ones I guess. Trying to mix both seems complicated. And I don't have many assets to recommend. I try and code everything myself, so I've never tried any asset on the Store. I hear a lot of good of Control Freak, Uni2D and Ferr2D.

@UnbreakableOne > Yup, good idea.

29. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Also it might be a good idea to have some of the code ready to get extended, for example using "protected virtual" for methods to make them ready for anyone who might want to override them.

tive and matteo-piccioni like this.
  30. codejoy

codejoy

I couldn't wait and tried to add a push block already to the corgi engine (part of me ripping out old stuff in game and replacing it with corgi).

I thought I had a good plan of attack:
    My box has: Box collider 2d that is a trigger, a corgi controller and a kinematic rigid body.

I set the collisions up so it doesn't fall through the level and sits there.

The script below the idea was to see if the player is colliding with the box and if so see if its colliding on which side and that the player is moving the right direction. If that was all true the box would have its HorizontalForce set. Alas it seems the collision don't work like I think they should. The box's debug log says its colliding with the ground mostly, the Dude from the pixel example does walk and get a collision but if I hit it left or right with my character nothing happens it only detects a collision if I stand on top of it like im stomping it. This puzzles me as to why.

The game object also with a corgi controller that has a fun script called "CanPush":

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D collider)
    2.     {
    3.         Debug.Log ("Colliding with: " + collider.tag);
    4.         if (collider.tag == "Player") {
    5.             // if what collides with the object ain't the player, we do nothing and exit
    6.             var player = collider.GetComponent<CorgiController> ();
    7.             if (player == null)
    8.                 return;
    10.             Debug.Log ("Pspeed: " + player.Speed.x);
    11.             if(player.Speed.x > 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingLeft)
    12.             {
    13.                 _controller.SetHorizontalForce(1* Speed);
    14.             }
    16.             if(player.Speed.x < 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingRight)
    17.             {
    18.                 _controller.SetHorizontalForce(-1* Speed);
    19.             }
    20.         }
    21.     }

31. davii

davii

Hey Reuno, brilliant product! :)

Will this option be available any time soon? This is exactly what I'm looking for if it only had some sort of multilayer / player v AI option.

Also, in relation to your question on price. I'd say maybe an extra 50% for the multilayer / networking functions? $50 for the engine and $75 for the engine with networking? Seems fair for a great product.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  32. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > I'm afraid I won't have the time to give your code a try, I've got a lot of work these days. Send me an email if you're stuck.
    @davii > I'm still working on a few things for the multiplayer version of the asset. I don't like giving dates I'm not sure I can keep but it's coming within a few months.

33. superdbop

superdbop

Hello,

I picked this up last week and I have to say, this controller is fantastic! Really great :)

I do have a few questions about the camera script in Corgi (I apologize if these have been asked before):

I'm making a pixel-style game and I'm looking to have a camera similar to the Super Mario World cameras found on this page: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ItayKere..._and_Practice_of_Cameras_in_SideScrollers.php

My questions are:
    • Is there a way to set the y-offset of the camera?
    • Is there a way to change which GameObject the camera is following?
    • Is there a way to use MoveTowards rather than SmoothDamp for camera movement?
    • And finally, is there a way to prevent the camera from moving in either direction?
    I'm still a Corgi newbie, so I wanted to ask before writing my own camera controller. I haven't dug too deep into Corgi's CameraController script yet, but my gut says this stuff is probably accessible via public variables or methods. But again, just thought I'd double check :)

Thanks for your help and keep up the great work! Corgi rocks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  34. dustingunn

dustingunn

There's many ways to fall through walls/floors. Jumping while pressed against any diagonal wall like this is a guaranteed fall-through:

You also zoom up a wall if you're carried into it by a moving platform, and sometimes fall through upslopes if you land on them while running.

35. reuno

reuno

@superdbop > Very good questions. Right now I'm afraid the answer to your 4 questions is that there's no built-in way to do that. All these features are relatively easy to implement, but no, there's no hidden inspector field or checkbox for these. They all sound like good suggestions though. Plus I had read that article a while ago and providing controls to replicate these cameras sounds like a great idea, I may add that at some point.
    @dustingunn > yup, noticed this, probably gonna fix it in the next release. To be fair I wonder if handling these cases is a priority, you don't see much walls at that angle in regular platformers (probably for the same reasons).

36. superdbop

superdbop

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to what you come up with for a future Corgi CameraController.

Take care.

37. rainbowrat

rainbowrat

Hi ho!

I recently stumbled upon quite a problem when exporting my current based-on-Corgi-Engine-Game: The character won´t move.

It all works fine in the Editor but as soon as I export it the character controlls don´t work anymore. I´ve asked several people but since there´s no error shown in the console, and since I haven´t changed anything that dramatic (basically just switching sprites) we have no clue what the problem could be. And of course, I have a deadline on Thursday...

Can anybody help me with this? I glady send a link to download the game via PM

Attached Files:

38. reuno

reuno

@rainbowrat > what version of the asset are you using ? you should use v1.5.4.
    Also I'm assuming you're targeting mobile devices ? Could you try and build the default assets so we can rule that out ?

39. rainbowrat

rainbowrat

I bought the package in June so it should be up to date. Download list doesn´t say anything about an Update.
    It´s aimed to be playable on Desktop, btw, so not mobile :)

One of my helpers found a solution minutes ago, he removed the GameManager Script from the GameManager Object, because "they´re destroying each other". I had the same export problem with the pre-made levels of yours as well, so it wasn´t because of my scene.

Weird, because the export worked in earlier builds.
    ( And we didn´t add anything but some item effects...)

It´s by far not the best solution but I hope I can get through my deadline at least :)

40. reuno

reuno

@rainbowrat > that's weird indeed, I'll look into it for the next release. Never heard of that bug before.
    I hope you'll send me a few pics of your game, it seems to look great :)
    Good luck for your deadline!

41. vvhh2002

vvhh2002

pls, try demo. just face to the rock which is near by 2nd CheckPoint and jump.

Attached Files:

• TT.png
      TT.png
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
  42. reuno

reuno

@vvhh2002 > If you look 7 messages above yours you'll see my answer to that.

43. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello,
    I'am using Spine to make my main character and I need to merge the (for example) 'sword' animation with the others (walk, run, jump, etc)
    To achieve this I know that I could use Spine runtimes, but I'd like to keep default character behavior logic
    For this way I decide to use layers...to overlay and overwrite animation across the whole character or to control animation on specific parts of the body
    In fact under Animator Controller I was able to play the animations merged in the right way but now I have to use SetLayerWeight into your script.

In your opinion, to be safe during update, how I could achieve this ?
    Could be a good idea add layer management into your asset for future updates ?

Thanks

44. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > Well in my opinion using the spine runtimes is the way to go. The only reason I didn't do it in the demo files is that their licence prevents me from doing so. Using the runtimes allows so much more stuff, I don't see any reason not to use them.
    If however you prefer not to, then I guess layers are the way to go, yes. I'm afraid I have not much experience with that though, so I may not be the best person to ask. It's very, very specific, and as I just said, I don't think it's the best way to use Spine, so I probably won't add that to the asset.
    As for how to be safe during update, in this particular case, I'd probably create a dedicated class that handles these changes based on the character behavior.

45. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Ok, I follow your advice
    Maybe it's obvious, but that's the way II made (maybe it can be useful to someone)

After importing Spine export in Unity:
    Right click into: xxxx_SkeletonData -> Spine -> Instantiate (SkeletonAnimation)
    Create a new script (really simple for now) like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class SpineController : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     #if UNITY_4_5
    4.     [Header("Graphics")]
    5.     #endif
    6.     public SkeletonAnimation skeletonAnimation;
    7.     #if UNITY_4_5
    8.     [Header("Animation")]
    9.     #endif
    10.     [SpineAnimation(dataField: "skeletonAnimation")]
    11.     public string runName = "Run";
    12.     [SpineAnimation(dataField: "skeletonAnimation")]
    13.     public string idleName = "Idle";
    14.     [SpineAnimation(dataField: "skeletonAnimation")]
    15.     public string jumpName = "Jump";
    17.     protected CorgiController _controller;
    20.     void Awake()
    21.     {      
    22.         _controller = GetComponent<CorgiController>();
    23.     }
    25.     // Use this for initialization
    26.     void Start () {
    28.     }
    30.     // Update is called once per frame
    31.     protected virtual void Update()
    32.     {
    34.         if (_controller.State.IsGrounded)
    35.         {
    36.             if (Mathf.Abs(_controller.Speed.x) < 0.1f) //idle
    37.             {
    38.                 skeletonAnimation.AnimationName = idleName;
    39.             }
    40.             else //move
    41.             {
    42.                 skeletonAnimation.AnimationName = Mathf.Abs(_controller.Speed.x ) > 0.6f ? runName : runName;
    43.             }
    44.         } else {
    45.             if (_controller.Speed.y > 0) //jump
    46.                 skeletonAnimation.AnimationName = jumpName;
    47.             else //fall
    48.                 skeletonAnimation.AnimationName = jumpName;
    49.         }
    50.     }
    51. }
    Then I add a public variable into your CharacterBehaviour.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public bool useDefaultMecanim = true;
    to enable or disable the UpdateAnimator method
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         if (useDefaultMecanim)
    2.         {
    3.             // we send our various states to the animator.      
    4.             UpdateAnimator ();
    5.         }
    After this you have to add (and configure) to your xxxx.prefab the standard Corgi scripts being careful to turn off the useDefaultMecanim

I hope this is the right way and that it can help someone

Corgi in your opinion could be a good idea to add the useDefaultMecanim variable to your package ?
    In this way everyone could implement a different anim controller without having to change the base classes

Thanks

46. reuno

reuno

@matteo.piccioni > That seems very good to me. And yeah, I'll add the useDefaultMecanim variable to the next package, hopefully it'll help people :)

47. reuno

reuno

@vvhh2002, @dustingunn and all of you guys who've encountered that "jump to an angled-towards-you wall and pass through the floor" bug, you'll be happy to know I've fixed it, along with other weird edge cases that could cause collision bugs too. I'll include the fix in the next release (sometime next month I guess ?). Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

48. mimminito

mimminito

We have purchased this kit for an upcoming project we are working on, and just wanted to say thank you! Its an amazing asset, well worth the money. Will post up screenshots if/when we can!

49. reuno

reuno

@mimminito > Well that makes me very happy :) And yes, please share screenshots, it's always a blast to see what you guys come up with. And don't hesitate to drop me a line if you ever run into problems.

mimminito likes this.
  50. mimminito

mimminito

Good to know, thanks. We are in the concept stage right now, looking into different animation tools for the characters, but once thats done we will start work on building a demo level.