Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Creotronic

Creotronic

reuno likes this.
  2. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I cant get them to work, I will email, you with some pictures, of what I am doing, with the support form, to try and see what I am doing wrong :(.

3. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

So the Feedback documentation is a little limited and wanted to ask here. I'm trying to do a simple "set active" feedback on a weapon in use, when the player hits the weapon button. State on hit is set to inactive, state on play is set to active, and set state on stop is inactive.

For some reason the game object is staying on screen. Am I missing something here in the logic of the states? I tried mixing it up different ways but can only get it to not appear while in use.

Do I need to set another feedback with a set active component on a weapon stop feedback to cancel it out? That's the only thing I can think of right now but I had to leave my workstation for the day before I could try it.

4. reuno

reuno

@NonhumanStoltz > The documentation (https://feedbacks-docs.moremountain..._1_feedbacks_1_1_m_m_feedback_set_active.html) covers all the fields of that feedback, I'm not sure what else to add, but please let me know!

That said, there's no "state on hit", there's "state on init", which (see doc above) defines whether or not we should alter the state of the target object on init. Same goes for play, stop, etc.

For example, in the following example, that MMFeedbacks contains a SetActive feedback. When played, that feedback will turn its TargetGameObject, Main Camera, to inactive (as its SetStateOnPlay is true, and the selected state is Inactive).

upload_2021-3-2_20-54-0.png

As I do not know what you're trying to accomplish, or what behaviour you expect with that weapon, it's hard to tell how to set things up in your context, but that's how that feedback works, hopefully that'll help.

5. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Thanks for the response! Sorry, meant state on init, which I assumed meant initialize. I'm trying to make a game object with a sprite render appear and then disappear. It's a melee weapon too, which probably makes a world of difference in context.

As for documentation, I was referring to the "Animations, Explosions,...." bit. Particles are a bit advanced for me that's why I'm going with this more basic function first and then play with particles. I understand Feedbacks are more recent of an update to the corgi asset so I didn't mean to sound ungrateful there and do apologize for that. Tbh a breakdown of each individual feedback like how you have in animation parameters would be hella awesome since that's what makes games fire.

6. reuno

reuno

@NonhumanStoltz > There's a breakdown of each feedback at https://feedbacks-docs.moremountains.com/list_mmfeedbacks.html, and a demo of each and every feedback is included in the asset (and on https://feedbacks.moremountains.com/), I'd recommend checking it out, it showcases them all.
    Now if you want your weapon to disappear (and I assume remain usable) then you'll want to target its renderer, and enable/disable that. Setting the Weapon itself active/inactive is bound to cause all sorts of issues, I wouldn't recommend it.

NonhumanStoltz likes this.
  7. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Oh that's perfect!

reuno likes this.
  8. jasss

jasss

Hey there,
    Is it documented anywhere on how to set up the Star point score system?
    I am using the Mesa1 demo, and would like to set up the star counter such as the one on Retro Adventure

9. reuno

reuno

@jasss > Stars in the RetroAdventure demo scenes use a simple script that sends a CorgiEngineStarEvent when picked. The RetroAdventureProgressManager listens to that event, and updates a simple counter.

I'd recommend replicating such a system to handle your own progress and its specifics. You can learn more about it in the documentation : https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/save-and-load.html

10. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Is there any way I can have the player character spawn an AI character for a limited time and then die? Not like Lost Vikings where you switch control of characters or change the character model, but (and correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology here) instantiate a prefab and then it dies. You'd essentially be spawning minions to do the fighting for you while you jump around avoiding fire.

I think I can do a rough custom code for it but not sure, and that'd be a really awesome ability to have even though it's probably super niche.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  11. reuno

reuno

@NonhumanStoltz > It would indeed be as simple as instantiating AI prefabs (and optionnally killing them after a while I suppose). And while it'd be fun, you're the first person to request such a thing in 6 years, so you're right, it's super niche :)

12. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Well I feel both disappointed and honored.

reuno likes this.
  13. Muppo

Muppo

That's something easy to do with feedbacks already, simply as reuno stated. Give it a try :)

14. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Oh I didn't think of that! Thanks, I'll try it out this week.

reuno likes this.
  15. yano_123

yano_123

16. reuno

reuno

@yano_123 > No, it's there alright. What version are you on? You can check that in the readme.

yano_123 likes this.
  17. yano_123

yano_123

Ah, its my fault. I updated corgi engine v6.5 to v6.7 and I can download the MMFeedbackDestroy.cs now.
    By the way, I also checked topdown engine v1.10.1, there is no MMFeedbackDestroy.cs, right?

18. kava_4

kava_4

Hey @reuno. Im getting CS1p61 error on AIActionSwapBrain('AIBrain' does not contain a definition for 'ResetBrain'), AutoRespawn(Same AIbrain) and GUIManager ( 'MMProgressBar' does not contain a definition for 'SetBar' )

19. reuno

reuno

@yano_123 > It's not in TDE (yet), it will be in the next release though. You could grab one and put it in the other in the meantime, it'd work.
    @kava_4 > In what context are you getting these errors? Is that in a fresh install? If yes, what version of Unity? What version of the engine?

yano_123 likes this.
  20. kava_4

kava_4

@reuno unity 2020.2.6f1 and the 6.7 version of the engine. I just imported the engine into a new empty project. on LTS version everything is ok. i'll stick with it

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    reuno likes this.
  21. reuno

reuno

@kava_4 > I suppose something may have gone wrong with 2020, it's got a lot of issues with the package manager at the moment. Your errors seem to point at that (parts of the classes not being there). Usually emptying the asset store cache fixes the problem. Sticking to a more stable version of Unity (2019.4) is safer :)

kava_4 likes this.
  22. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

Hi there, i am trying to combine Proximity Managed, with a child object that is a TimedEnemySpawner. So only when I get close to the Proximity Managed, object it stars spawning objects. Somehow it doesnt, work. I can make them work wach on its own Proximity Managed enemies that appear when I am close, and vanish when I am not around, and also have a spawning objects, point that makes enemies forever. Here is a picture of I have it setup. Somehow it doesnt do anything when I am close it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BaZacosmWU7fPsFGcz9Jb5JCHXEjEl6e/view?usp=sharing

23. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > Not sure what your issue may be, your image is not enough to tell. Repro steps in a demo would help.

Here's are some steps that I've just tried and that seem to work just fine :

- in a new install of Corgi Engine v6.7, in Unity 2019.4.21f1
    - open the MinimalPerf demo scene
    - create a new empty game object, position it at -30,-5,0, call it SpawnerContainer (note that it's not mandatory to create such an object, but I'm trying to stay close to your case)
    - on that object, add a ProximityManaged comp, set its Enable and Disable Distances to 30
    - create an empty child, add a TimedSpawner component to it, and a MMSimpleObjectPooler component.
    - on that last one, set the GameObjectToPool to BlueRobot
    - press play, notice the spawner is inactive and not doing anything, get close to it, it'll start spawning robots, move back left, it'll stop (of course it's a weird setup as the ground disappears and thus the robots fall, but that's just an example to show it works)

24. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

--

Thanks for this! I was missing the MMSimpleObjectPooler. Sorry about that!

25. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > You had one in your screenshot so I didn't think that could be it. I'm glad it's working now though!

26. xuldark87

xuldark87

Hi! I just recently got the Corgi engine and trying to build a twitchy 2d platformer,

I ran towards a problem where if the player jumps up towards or fall against a tile collider corner (edge)
    the player rebounds as if it was a bumper,
    and if by any chance after the first reboun you fall on another corner edge the velocity multiplies and so on.

Ive tried to soften the edges of the collider so its more round but still doing the same.
    I tried to replicate the situation on the demos and it seems it doesnt happen.

How do i stop the collider corners sendind me into another dimension?
    Thanks!

27. reuno

reuno

@xuldark87 > If it doesn't happen in the demos, then it's likely an issue in your scene, or with your character (or both). Without any repro steps it's hard to tell what though. It could be a wrong platform/layer setup, incorrect raycast settings, maybe something else. If the issue persists, don't hesitate to use the support form and provide repro steps I could use to reproduce the issue on my end and see what the problem may be.

28. Zebbi

Zebbi

I'm experiencing some jitter when using unity's pixel perfect camera (stretch-fill mode) and corgi, is there a way of forcing the player speed to match integer positions so it doesn't have the jiggling look when moving?

29. reuno

reuno

@Zebbi > No, there is no such option.

30. Zebbi

Zebbi

What's the generally accepted method of solving this, just trial and error with the player speed?

31. reuno

reuno

@Zebbi > I'm not aware of any particular issue with character movement and speed at the moment, none have been reported. But I have to admit I don't know of many productions that use Unity's builtin pixel perfect solution, most people seem to be rolling their own.

32. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

Building a game off of the Retro Adventures Levels. (I simply re-did the scenes to fit my custom game keeping all of the main set-ups in the scene)... Level 1-5 is working good in terms of the Star Counter, however I'm now working on a Level 6 and I can't get the stars to work for this level although it collects them it just doesn't add it to the count.

These are the steps that I tried.

- Went into the Retro Level Adventure Selection Screen,
    - Duplicated the Level 5 , renamed it to fit the new scene
    - Went into the " RetroAdventureProgressManager " And set everything accordingly.

Any idea on what I could be missing while setting up new level? I duplicated my level 5 scene so that I could just test it out and that's when I realized it wasn't adding the star count

33. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > Unfortunately these steps are not enough to tell what you did wrong, they're too vague. What do you mean by "set everything accordingly"? What version are you on? What do you mean by "to fit the new scene"? Etc.

Here are repro steps I just took that work fine :

- create a new project in Unity 2019.4.22f1
    - import Corgi Engine v6.7
    - duplicate RetroAdventure3, name it RetroAdventure6
    - add that newly created scene to the build settings
    - open RetroAdventureLevelSelection, under the Content node, duplicate the RetroAdventureLevel5 node, change its ItemTitle's text to "Level6", on its RetroAdventureLevel comp, change scene name to "RetroAdventure6"
    - on the RetroAdventureProgressManager (in that scene and on the prefab), add a 6th scene, set its name to "RetroAdventure6"
    - press play, go through the levels
    - at the end of lvl 5 you get redirected to the level selection (that's normal, we didn't change the exit scene in that level)
    - play level 6, collect some stars in it, return to level selection, enjoy your newly collected stars :

upload_2021-3-19_11-0-2.png

34. Zebbi

Zebbi

I'm working with corgi and have gotten a lot of the movement working super well, but I'm just looking at hitscan weapons and there seems to be a lot of built-in functionality that I'd like to take advantage of. I'd like to recreate the Dangerous Dave style of gun control:

• Aiming at diagonal angles forces the player to stop moving whilst the diagonal angle is held
    • Firing whilst moving left/right stops the player during the shot, then they resume walking
    • Recoil movement to the player (which I see is built-in)
    • The hitscan fires a scatter of bullets rather than just one shot
    I'd personally also like:
    • The player can fire mid-air in the direction aimed
    • If the hitscan raycast hits the edge of the screen, a bullet spark is spawned there
    I think most of this should be simple, but some of it involves adjustments to the player movement, etc. I can code, so there's no worries with doing any or all of this myself, I just want to get a rough idea of the best place to start, ie: extending the hitscan weapon script or writing a new script from scratch that handles everything.

35. reuno

reuno

@Zebbi > Both would work. I guess extending the hitscan weapon would be the easiest way to implement simple mechanics like this.

36. Creotronic

Creotronic

I'm currently fine-tuning the movement and am only missing two things:

- It seems as if it is possible to limit the directions a character can dash in, but I'm not sure how exactly that works. Can I limit the character to only be able to dash left or right and not vertically (up and down)?
    - It seems as if walljumping by pressing the direction away from the wall and the jump button at the same time does not work out of the box. Is there any way to do this or would that require custom code?

andreiagmu likes this.
  37. reuno

reuno

@Creotronic > "Only dash left or right" is CharacterDash's default behaviour. In its aim section, make sure AimControl is set to Off. As for walljumping, you can make wallclinging input independent (it's a checkbox).

andreiagmu and Creotronic like this.
  38. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Hey you two, wanted to say thanks for helping a noob out. Using the feedback system in conjunction with the inventory system I've made a solid minion system! Corgi truly is incredible.

The only real issue is ai patrol automatically heads towards the left. Might have to manipulate it in code or just make the minion walk forward indefinitely. Nothing too troublesome. The core gameplay loop is really coming together on my prototype and it plays fun as hell! Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@NonhumanStoltz > That's great, don't hesitate to share it with me when it's ready!

40. Creotronic

Creotronic

@reuno > Thanks for the fast response! The dash setting was exactly what I was looking for, I was just not expecting the player could still control left / right from the description of it. Works like a charm now.

As for the wallclinge / walljump, I prefer to require a button input for the clinge, so that the player can also cancel it by not pressing against the wall anymore. I'm looking for a way to have the player jump up the wall by pressing against the wall and jumping (which works) and have the player also be able to jump away from the wall (like, a "proper" walljump) by pressing away from the wall and jumping. The latter does not seem to work as it cancels the jump (or at least, that's what it looks like). There seems to be a custom coded solution to this described here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...t-recoil-hitscan.286289/page-142#post-6387060

41. reuno

reuno

@Creotronic > I'm glad it's working now, thanks for letting me know.

42. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

I have just released a pre-demo for my upcoming game The Scotian Fox.

One thing I can't seem to find out and it wasn't even something that I noticed until I Seen other's playing my game on YouTube. But for the Game-Over screen is there a way I can make the mouse visible? It seems that many are having to completely restart the game because they are unable to click the retry button .

The Scotian Fox : Early Demo by ScotianWolf (itch.io)

43. reuno

reuno

44. FeboGamedeveloper

FeboGamedeveloper

Hi, I would like my character when it sticks to a moving wall, it stays attached (like it is on a moving platform). How can I do?

45. LGHTHD

LGHTHD

I'm having the exact same issue (a few years later).

Renault, I already shot you a support email about this but maybe F1GHTOFFYRDMNS or someone else in the community can help me out too.

Unity version 2020.1.3
    Corgi version 6.5

46. reuno

reuno

@Amalfi-Prozen > that's not a feature of the engine at the moment, you'd have to implement it.
    @LGHTHD > I believe I answered your email already, if not, my answer to that initial question 2 years ago still stands :)

47. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

Is there a way to flip the wall-slide?
    I looked through the script but couldn't seem to find it, but I am trying to make it so that my character faces the opposite direction as it doesn't look good in-game for him to be sliding the way that he currently is.

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  48. reuno

reuno

49. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

How compatible is the infinite runner engine with the corgi engine? Since feedbacks and inventory engine works with corgi, does infinite runner compliment the same way? Can it be isolated to just specific scenes, i.e. character goes to a door in a corgi engine scene and then loads a scene in the infinite runner engine? For some reason I feel like this is a crossing the streams from ghostbusters kind of idea.

50. reuno

reuno

@NonhumanStoltz > No, they're two completely different systems, with nothing in common. They're not compatible. You could have a project where you go from a scene powered by the Corgi Engine to one that has nothing to do with it and powered by IRE of course. I'd recommend checking the FAQ for more details on this.