Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

O righty just did that :)

2. cficara

cficara

Hello!

Simple question: I'm looking for a way to make physics objects react to corgi bullets. Example: bullet collides with box, box flies backwards, naturally.

I added a new game object, a circle collider, to my bullets. Didn't work as expected. Bullets die, but physics objects teleport to a position nearby?

Is that possible in the engine? Thank you!

3. cel

cel

just started playing with this and I'm just wandering if it is possible not to have the camera follow the player, just wait until it reaches the end of the screen on the right, then position the camera (maybe with a transition) showing the player on the left of the screen. so basically no scrolling, just snap from screen to screen?

currently using the 3d camera

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  4. reuno

reuno

@cficara > The engine is not physics based, that's its main feature. You can of course build that on top, but you'll have to implement it. Adding a circle collider will not be enough though, you'll have to use the physics2D API to pass forces on impact.
    @cel > You may want to look into the Rooms system (https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/rooms-system.html)

5. ElMessi

ElMessi

Is this engine appropriate for a side-scrolling game where you can also move vertically a little? Like in Streets of Rage or River City Girls.

6. reuno

reuno

@ElMessi > No, it's not. It's a platformer framework. Streets of Rage or RCG are beat em all (a subgenre of top down action games), but they're not platformers. There's almost no overlap in terms of core mechanics between both genres.

7. EarlyDarkEntertainment

EarlyDarkEntertainment

Hey guys if your character is falling through the ground after they touch a platform try turning off Stick to Slopes

8. jasss

jasss

Hey there, I am getting a strange error after uploading to the latest version of Corgi.
    For some reason, when I try to fit the box-collider 2D to fit my character I need to bring the collider up half-way on the player meaning that half the body goes under the ground, As when I drag the collider down to match the feet the character will stick in place and not move. Any idea? -- The enemy AI, is built upon the RetroSwordsmen .. Everything else is working perfectly

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      862.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. reuno

reuno

@jasss > The way colliders are setup on characters hasn't changed in years, so I'm not sure what your issue may be. Without actual data and values it's hard to tell what your issue may be. I'm thinking wrong sprite pivot point / other centering issues. That's why it's always best to separate model and logic/collider, as explained in the documentation. That gives much more freedom and control. I'd recommend doing things that way instead. If after that your issue persists, don't hesitate to provide me with more info, I'll be happy to have a look and help you fix it.

10. KOPEW

KOPEW

Oyo!
    Can I create a moving temporary platform out of the box? Like in classic Rayman where you jump on a platform, it flyes up/sides/down and then just dissapear. Do I need destroy triggers?
    And can I create a controlled moving platform (yep, like in Rayman, playing rn))? When you jump on a plat and if you stay at left side - it moves left; middle - straight up or down and etc.
    I can't check it right now and asking because of this(

11. reuno

reuno

@Cunny-Lang > These are very specific behaviours, but you'd have at least a base to work with. You can have a platform move on contact, and you can have timed destruction/disabling, that'd handle the first use case.
    And you can have script controlled platforms, and from there adding colliders on the left/right to pilot it would be fairly easy.

KOPEW likes this.
  12. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Hello. First time doing a platformer with attacks (usually my builds just have a typical Mario attack hard coded to the player controller) and I'm loving the engine as I don't have to build scripts from scratch and skip right to customizing, but I'm having a slight issue with Weapon parameters. It's a beautiful system and works great while on the ground, but when jumping the animator plays the first frame of the sword attack animation but goes right into falling or jumping, even though the jump states are interruptible and the attack states are not. The transition conditions for these mid-air attacks are "[weapon]start" is True and "Jumping" is true. The transition is also coming from "any state" to a "Jump Attack" node. I tried making the transition comes from the Jumping state as that's what would make sense to me but it didn't work. During gameplay the animator is fine and it goes to the jump attack state, but it just keeps getting overridden by the jump state for some reason and when falling forget it, nothing's interrupting that even though interruptable is clearly checked.

I suspect it's a timing thing with the sprite-less weapon. The attack animation happens at frame 6 and is 10 frames long. I'm able to somewhat solve this issue but making frame 1 be the actual time the attack sprite appears, but that's not really solving the problem.

Now I'm sure Reuno is tired of typing "it's a unity animator setup issue, not a corgi issue" so I do apologize as this is a much more complex tree than I'm used to and to be totally honest, it's my first tree with interruptions. What's really weird is that the secondary weapon on my character works just fine, but that's a projectile weapon and has it's own sub-state while shooting! I only did that because I needed the character to keep aiming the gun for a few seconds after firing. The melee attack (the one that keeps getting interrupted in the air) should be super quick.

But again, love the product, I've testing almost every other component minus the inventory system related ones and it works amazingly well, I just remember in the tutorials there was a note about timing stuff with weapons and wondered if this is it. It's a ninja gaiden type of platformer so these sword animations really can't be interrupted for precision attack sake.

TL;DR I just need to know if this is a Corgi weapon component issue or Unity Animator issue.

Edit: Also this is my first post ever on Unity forums so that was a very awkward hello in hindsight lol.

Attached Files:

13. RobbinLeung

RobbinLeung

How to create a box2d for a 3D character in Unity2019.4 ?
    "the collider did not create any coliision shape ......."

14. reuno

reuno

@RobbinLeung > Colliders are created in the same way for all models (2D, Spine, 3D, etc). All you have to do is press "Add Component" and add a box collider 2D.
    @NonhumanStoltz > I'd say this indeed looks like a transition issue. One easy way to pinpoint that is to look at your animator's parameters at runtime. Do their states get correctly updated? If yes, the engine is doing its job, and you need to work on your transitions. If however, Jumping isn't true when you're in the air (or that sort of things), then it could be a bug, and don't hesitate to report it! I'm not aware of any issue with any animation parameter at the moment, but it's always a possibility :)

15. Askins

Askins

Just thought of a nice feature that might be worth adding, after playing around with the Room Cameras it'd be cool to be able to have a feature whereby the virtual cameras can change depending on if they enter a collider, which might be useful for boss encounters (the camera might go from a follow-player camera to a static wide camera for example). I realise this is possible with Cinemachine but it might be nice if it can be incorporated into the Rooms system too perhaps (though I need to still play around with it to see if this might be possible already)

reuno likes this.
  16. reuno

reuno

@Askins > That's indeed already possible with Cinemachine. I don't see that as related to the Rooms system (unless I'm missing the point), and should already be possible.

17. Cambesa

Cambesa

What can I do about the problem that at one specific character, the _inputManager is null? I blocks handling the input of this character but if I switch back to another character, the controls work again.

18. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > Hard to tell without any details about how you've setup your scene and characters. I'd say it's likely because you're missing a corresponding InputManager in your scene, maybe?

19. NonhumanStoltz

NonhumanStoltz

Turns out it was a little of both. I had a delay on the weapon and the jumping parameter was on true during falling. The character works beautifully now. Thanks!

20. reuno

reuno

21. Cambesa

Cambesa

That's the weird thing, the other characters are in the same scene but are working

22. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > Then maybe your PlayerID is wrong. Again, without any info regarding what you may have done, these are wild guesses :) If your issue persists, please send repro steps via the support form and I'll have a look.

23. Cambesa

Cambesa

It seems that on game start, the PlayerID is being set to 2 for some reason even though it's Player1 but simply with a different character to play. I'll look for the code that does that because that does not make sense.

Edit: Found it, The Level Manager had two scene characters and the fact that the 2nd was the character where the input wasn't working, changed the input manager's player id to two. So you don't need to assign the 2nd character to the level manager. Only the first one and then switching works and it keeps it being the first player.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  24. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > As explained in the documentation or its inspector, the LevelManager will only auto assign IDs if you tell it to do so :

upload_2021-2-25_8-23-43.png

25. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

Is it possible to get the Corgi 2D (Character Prefab from 2D demo scene) To work with the mushroom from the hipster scene? I tried to find exactly what it is that makes the player grow, but can't seem to find the function. thanks

26. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > The growing is handled by the SuperHipsterBrosHealth (and triggered by the Mushroom class). Method name is Grow().

27. jasss

jasss

Hey there,
    Running into two slight-problems after importing the Corgi Engine.

1 - This one, isn't a game-breaker per say. But I am getting a weird glitch where if I build the scenes (From the example that you have set up that includes all scenes) When I play the Retro 2D level the hearts are not showing up. I can see the Jet-Pack UI, as well the player logo, but not the hearts.

2 - I Can see that the - Game Over - Scene is in the loaded build, But if the player dies no matter how many times. It'll not trigger that scene to play.

Any ideas? Thanks

28. reuno

reuno

@jasss > 1. There are no hearts in the Retro 2D levels, only in the RetroAdventure scenes.
    2. There's no GameOver scene, the closest would be RetroAdventureGameOver.
    To trigger it :
    - create a new project in Unity 2019.4.21f1
    - import Corgi Engine v6.7
    - open RetroAdventureCharacterSelection
    - press play
    - pick the RetroCorgi
    - pick Retro 1 : Clouds
    - walk up to the spikes in the middle of the level, jump on them
    - do that 5 times, notice you're redircted to the game over screen

If you have more questions, please use the support form and provide context info, thanks.

Fed81 likes this.
  29. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

Hi Reuno

I was wondering if you have any of your minimal scenes or demo, one where there is only horizontal scrolling on the camera following the character. If not, could give me a quick example on how to do this, on a basic level. Think of it as a Super Mario Bros 1, level where the camera doesnt go up or down when the player jumps or goes into a higher platform, but it does follows the character right or left. Thanks,

30. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > That's something you can do natively with Cinemachine, using a confiner for example.

31. FeboGamedeveloper

FeboGamedeveloper

Hi, I have a problem when the player walks up a slope and jumps, the jump is much longer than normal, like adding the vertical force to overcome the slope, how do I solve the problem?

32. reuno

reuno

@Amalfi-Prozen > I'd need to know more about your issue. Please provide context (details are next to the form) and more info about how I could reproduce your problem via the support form, thanks.

33. FeboGamedeveloper

FeboGamedeveloper

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture.PNG

Ok, more details :D The terrain is the plattform layer.

34. reuno

reuno

@Amalfi-Prozen > I can't tell what your issue may be from these screenshots.
    So again, please use the support form (https://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-contact), and I'll need the info requested next to it, as well as written repro steps of how to reproduce your problem in a fresh install (ideally in any of the demos, no changes made), thanks.

35. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I mansged to work out somehow the problem, however I see the regular camera, kind of hovering slightly when the player moves, or stops walking, i think its zooming in and out really slow, but it looks weird on 8 bit style graphic game. I know this isnt probably something related to the engine itself, but what of the 1000 setting could that needs to be changed in the regular camera, in order to just to not zoom in or out, or hover when the player moves and stops.

36. Fed81

Fed81

Hi, Reuno, i study your asset every day and it looks more and more impressive. Sooo many nuances got covered, it's actually a true masterpiece! I will buy your TDE later for sure!
    Sorry, but for me the only weak is a very static AI. So I just want to ask if you consider adding new AI actions and decisions in new releases. I mean something like Take Cover, Ask (Go for) Help, Retreat, Defend, Group attack or you may be know it much better than me) and some AI decisions also. Just for making more action, you know.
    I read you are not taking requests for features, but it made me just wonder if this area in your near roadmap?
    This thing looks so complete and full featured I have nothing to add. Thanks!

37. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > I think what you're referring to is the Cinemachine camera noise that is setup by default in the demos. I'd recommend creating your own camera that suits your own needs, but if you want to repurpose on of the demos', I'd suggest disabling on the virtual camera.
    @Fed81 > Oh I am taking requests, I get a ton of them a day via the contact form :) That said I can't say I've ever had similar requests. These (take cover, retreat, defend) are not AI actions, at least not in the context of the engine, they'd be more like behaviours or attitudes, or archetypes even. You can already implement such behaviours using the AI actions and decisions included in the engine (Retreat would be something like if health is below X and enemy is closer than Y, then move in Z direction). I don't see any current limitation in that regard, unless I misunderstand the use case.

38. FeboGamedeveloper

FeboGamedeveloper

ok, I solved it by myself, i decreased the player movement speed (it was very fast). Probably with such high speed it ignored collisions and then created the big jump, I don't know, maybe it's a bug.

39. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

----
    You are right, it does work for the Machine gun, but it doesnt work for the rocket launcher, for example. So there is something else I should modify from the weapon itself, or just the "Character Handle Weapon", invert horizontal Aim option?

40. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > The rocket launcher's aim is driven by mouse position by default, that's why it aims wherever your mouse is pointing at.

41. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

Does it work with melee weapons?

42. reuno

reuno

43. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I am doing the obvious and just setting the "Invert Aim on Wall Clinging", and nothing. Sorry to pester you with questions, but wondering if something else should be done.

44. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > You've lost me. You were asking if mouse aim worked on melee weapons, now we're back on invert aim. If your issues persist, please use the support form, and explain what you're trying to accomplish, and what you're doing to achieve it.

45. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I am
    1- First question was about, weapons that fire bullets, (machine guns, etc). I tried replicating, that with your FeaturesWeapons demo, with some success.
    2- I am trying to use the same mechaninc "Invert Aim on Wall Clinging", on a melee weapon, but it doesnt work. There is no AIm or nothing like that here.

46. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > Yes, that seems normal, as you need a WeaponAim component to be able to reverse its aim. Add one :)

47. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

So, the weapon has a Melee weapon component and WeaponAim component, anything special on the weapon aim, component or melee weapon, settings?

48. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > No, nothing special, the reverse aim setting will reverse the WeaponAim's aim direction, that's all there is to it.

49. Creotronic

Creotronic

Maybe I'm not finding this in the FAQ or the documentation, but what would be the best way to update the engine in an existing project?

50. reuno

reuno