Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@jdcbautista > Ah that'd make a lot of sense. It does impact projectile speed and movement speed.
    In what demo were you testing that though? There shouldn't be one with both abilities active at once.

2. jdcbautista

jdcbautista

It wasn't in any of the demos, so you're probably right there shouldn't be one. I just dragged the space-corgi-spritesheet prefab onto a blank scene and started tinkering from there, so it was an oversight on my part.
    Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks for taking time to test it on your end! :)

reuno likes this.
  3. reuno

reuno

@jdcbautista > Alright then! But yes, with that many abilities, I've run out of buttons on gamepad, so there's a bit of tweaking to be done in the bindings if you need certain combinations :)

4. Cambesa

Cambesa

Sorry for not being clear. I want a way to let's say, switch to a character you click on. Not one that is either sequential or random. Let's say you have 4 characters, A, B, C and D, and you're currently playing A. Then you can click on either one of those others and switch to that specific character. That's not possible with the sequential or random approach.

5. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > No, indeed, the sequential option would go A then B then C, while the random would hop from A to C to A to B (or another random order).

That's why I pointed you at the documentation of the method that lets you target a specific index, which you can also test straight from the inspector via the DebugCharacterSwitchToTargetIndex button.

6. Cambesa

Cambesa

I just downloaded the newest version but there is no SwitchCharacter method where you can pass an integer in the CharacterSwitchCharacter class. Only one coroutine that either switches random or sequential. I can not find the ForceSwitchcharacterTo method either like described in the documentation.

7. reuno

reuno

8. Veritas

Veritas

This isn't necessarily specific to Corgi Engine but Unity is driving me nuts. With 30+ scripts on an object (usually characters with AI brains) Unity un-collapses everything when you hit play or deselect the object. This is infuriating since you need to (WAY too often) scroll to the bottom when messing with AI brain stuff. Is there a workaround to making everything collapsed by default when there are loads of scripts or am I just stuck having to collapse all components every time?

9. reuno

reuno

@Veritas > This is indeed unrelated to the engine, and likely a bug in your specific version of Unity, never encountered this myself. I'd recommend reporting it to Unity.

This is with 40 components on a single object :
    https://imgur.com/a/T94aRF0

10. liquidsht

liquidsht

Hi Reuno,
    Thanks for the reply, I am playing with PixelRogue now, I can pick up the items but the items dont seem to save after i exit play mode? I used a new project with no other assets, and latest version of Corgi and Unity2020.1.6.

11. reuno

reuno

@liquidsht > Without details it's hard to guess what you may be doing wrong.

Here are steps following the explanations in the documentation, they seem to work fine :
    - fresh install of 2019.4.18f1 (2020.x is a mess)
    - import Corgi Engine v6.7
    - open the PixelRogueRoom1 demo scene
    - using the arrow keys, move over the coin and an apple
    - open your inventory, notice you've got a coin and an apple
    - move to the next room using the door at the top, to trigger a save event and a transition to a new scene
    - in the next room, open your inventory, notice it's unchanged
    - exit play mode, enter again, open your inventory, notice it's still unchanged

If your issues persist, please provide similar steps via the support form, thanks.

12. mk7gwc

mk7gwc

hello
    I have a question about melee attacks.
    Is it possible to attack downwards from the air? No such setting was found in the melee component.

13. Cambesa

Cambesa

I'm running Unity version 2020.2.1f1 so that must be it. The latest corgi version is see in the package manager is v6.7 - January 06, 2021 but if I open the readme I read: v6.2.1. Would you recommend to download it through an older unity then copy it manually into the current project? It even states "currently downloaded v6.7" in the package manager.

14. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > I'd recommend checking the issue I linked you to, it'll explain your problem. It also contains a link to one of the threads on this forum covering the problem, where people share workarounds (looks like clearing your download cache would be the first thing to try). My recommendation would be to not use 2020.x, as it's riddled with bugs at the moment.

Cambesa likes this.
  15. Cambesa

Cambesa

Thanks for the help!

reuno likes this.
  16. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

set the damage area offset to a negative y value?

reuno likes this.
  17. Veritas

Veritas

Darn, thanks!

reuno likes this.
  18. mk7gwc

mk7gwc

I'm sorry, I will supplement.

If make a downward attack, you can certainly solve it with Offset, but I want it to exist separately from the left and right attacks.

For example, I want to generate a downward attack when I press the crouch button and the attack at the same time.

19. reuno

reuno

@mk7gwc > At the moment that's solved by having separate Weapons (a Weapon in the context of the engine defines an attack, not necessarily a weapon). You could have multiples Weapons for a single sword. The combo weapon is a good example of that.

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  20. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Hi,
    I am trying to install the AI Brain Extension from Bitcave but it cannot find the class AIActionSetLastKnownPositionAsTarget in Corgi Engine. I can see it in the documentation, but it is not available in my package download from Asset Store. Is there something I need to do to have it?

21. reuno

reuno

@jean-rodrigues > I'd start by making sure you're running the latest version of the engine (that'd be 6.7, you can check which version you're on in the readme at the root of the Corgi Engine). And then I'd check this post (and the few ones after that), as maybe you're running into the same problem. If not, I'll need to know what version of Unity you're on.

22. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Thanks, I will try this. I am indeed using Unity 2020.2.1f1 and Corgi v6.6 [according to the readme] (the package manager says it is 6.7 though).
    Even with Unity 2019.4 LTS, I cannot download the last version of Corgi Engine.

23. reuno

reuno

@jean-rodrigues > The readme is (always) right, the package manager is wrong, and quite broken at the moment (see the issue I mentioned). Revert to 2019.4.18f1, clear your cache, and you should be good to go.
    It's a very, very annoying Unity bug.

24. Veritas

Veritas

After trying to update unity to 2019 LTS then the latest 2020 version, I finally figured it out. Posting here for anyone who cares.

Apparently, when you right click the inspector "tab" and click "collapse all" Unity doesn't save the state of the component's "collapse". You have to manually go and collapse each component for it to remember the state. What an awful bug!

25. mk7gwc

mk7gwc

Thank you I'll try.

reuno likes this.
  26. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Hello, not sure what is happening when I have AIActionMoveTowardsTarget in AI Brain. It raises a NullReferenceException and dont understand why. If I exchange it for AIActionPatrol, no problem happens.

NullReferenceException happens here:
    public override void OnEnterState()
    {
    base.OnEnterState();
    >>>>> _characterHorizontalMovement.SetHorizontalMove(0f);
    }

The way that code searchs for CharacterHorizontalMovement on both classes is the same, and they are attached to the same game object (with all proper configuration).

Any clue?

27. reuno

reuno

@jean-rodrigues > Without any context info, or repro steps, it's hard to guess what your issue may be. If the problem persists, please use the support form and provide steps to reproduce your problem, I'll be happy to have a look.

28. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

Using the latest version of Corgi, And was just wondering if their was a way to use the " Level Selection " open one level, and lock the rest and unlock the other's as I progress through the levels. I know you can do it with the Retro Levels, But id like to use the level lay-outs of Mesa for an example

29. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > Sure, you can do so with any levels, the layout doesn't factor in that :)

30. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

Could you please give me a hint on how to go about doing that? Thanks in advance, honestly the coolest asset I've ever used!

31. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > As explained in the documentation, progress management is usually tailored on a per game basis, and it's unrelated to level layout.

But if you just want to have the layout of the Mesa1 demo in another one, that's extremely simple. Simply open the RetroAdventure1 demo level, drag the Mesa1 scene into its hierarchy panel, move the Mesa Level node into RetroAdventure1, then remove the Mesa1 scene.

You'll likely have to adapt level bounds, as well as change the LevelManager's DebugSpawn, but that's all there is to it.

32. pjooren

pjooren

I'm wondering if I'm missing something here, and maybe someone can help out with my problem. Hopefully it's something obvious that I'm just missing. I'm making multiple levels using the Rooms system, but I am also wanting to use multiple scenes. So I'm using the "Go to level entry point" to go to a Point of Entry in a room on a different scene. But when I go to that room the camera is no longer following my character, in fact it seems to go to the virtual camera with the highest priority, which is an issue if the Point of Entry is not in the room with that virtual camera. Also the room scripts doesn't seem to recognize the character and activate any of the game objects in the Activation List.

You should be able to recreate my problem by making 2 copies of the RetroVania scenes, Placing the GateToNextLevel Prefabs from the Minimal/Prefabs folder in different rooms in each of those scenes. Set up the Finish Level component of those gates to point to each scene, and then add those gates as Points Of Entry in the LevelManager. Am I missing an important step?

33. reuno

reuno

@pjooren > These are two independent systems at the moment. But don't hesitate to use the support form to request that feature and I'll add it to the next release.

34. SRx734

SRx734

Hi reuno, I'm having trouble with Perform Safety Boxcast. If I check it in the Rectangle prefab and build the minimal level scene, the character stucks for a random duration of time before it can walk on the ground platform(the walking animation is playing). Things works fine in unity editor. I'm using Unity 2019.4.11f1 with the latest version of CorgiEngine.
    By the way, I'm having FPS loss when holding down any key in play mode. Is this a problem of unity itself?

35. reuno

reuno

@SRx734 > I don't seem to reproduce that problem with a fresh install of v6.7 on 2019.4.18f1.

And no, holding down a key shouldn't cause FPS loss. How are you measuring that, and in what context? I'd recommend getting profiling data on this to get a better idea of what's happening on your end. I did a bit of googling and didn't find much (https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/3fgkh0/lagfps_drop_when_pressing_keys/ for example). Maybe that'll help! You could also try that in an empty project, to see if it's a general Unity issue on your end or something that only happens when using the engine.

If your issues persist, and if you manage to reproduce them in a fresh install of the engine, please use the support form and provide more info on how exactly I could reproduce them, I'll be happy to look further into it.

36. RobbieLiverpool

RobbieLiverpool

Really quick question, and I have searched the documentation, this thread, and googled around, so apologies if the answer is out there, I just can't find it:

Does Corgi Engine feature jump corner correction? Thanks.

Grafos likes this.
  37. reuno

reuno

RobbieLiverpool likes this.
  38. RobbieLiverpool

RobbieLiverpool

reuno likes this.
  39. brehiner

brehiner

Good day is the first time that I post here. and after read this post I see that the implementation of aim weapon is very confuse because I implemented an IK 2d Character but in the demos there is no one example even though you say this work. Please can you implement at least one demo example with a 2d ik model or where can I find information about this?

40. reuno

reuno

@brehiner > The engine doesn't do animation, Unity does (or Spine, or any other solution you use to animate/bind your characters). Typically, you wouldn't need the engine to attach arms to the Rectangle character. The engine takes care of rotating the weapon, your animation solution would take care of IK. Likewise, there's an example of 3D IK, and the engine doesn't do anything, it's all native Unity IK.

You can learn more about 2D IK using Unity's package at https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.2d.ik@1.1/manual/index.html

But sure, I can add that to the todo list. If more people request it, it'll make it into a release.

41. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

How can I use the Retro Adventures Corgi, and make it so that when he shoots it plays the animation ? I tried a few things such as following the same set-up as in the other animator (Corgi 2D) But to no avail. Thanks

42. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > I'm not sure what animation you're referring to, but how you setup your animator is entirely up to you, and separate from the engine (which just sends anim parameters). As a reference, the RetroCorgi is already setup to play weapon animations, namely the 3 sword attacks of the RetroComboSword, you can check how these are setup. I'd suggest checking how Unity's animator works if it's something that's new to you, it's good knowledge to have, that you'll be able to reuse on all Unity projects.

43. ScotianWolf

ScotianWolf

I have attached images to try and explain it better, Basically I want to use the Retro Adventure Character Controller , But I am trying to get it to "Shoot" When I call the shoot action from the Weapon Script. I can get every other animation replaced for my character, however I can't figure this shoot animation out. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

44. reuno

reuno

@ScotianWolf > I can't tell what you're doing wrong from these pictures, they unfortunately show nothing relevant.
    As I said in my previous message, I'd recommend looking at how the RetroComboSword is already setup, that's what you're after.
    And of course you can learn more about how weapon animation parameters work at https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/animations.html#weapon-animation-parameters
    If your issue persists, please provide (written) repro steps via the support form, I'll be happy to help you.

45. Fed81

Fed81

Hi, Reuno and everyone here!
    Can you, please, help me to make RetroCorgi character to shoot UpRight and DownRight? I made a pair of screenshoots...
    Can you give me full instructions what to do?

Attached Files:

46. reuno

reuno

@Fedor81 > the RetroMachineGun is already setup to let you shoot any direction you want using primary movement. Press up/right on your gamepad and you'll be able to shoot up right.
    If what you were asking was how to restrict aim to certain angles, I'd recommend checking the documentation, it explains it all : https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/weapons.html#weapon-aim

Fed81 likes this.
  47. SRx734

SRx734

Hello renuo, I'm having problems with stairs, but I'm not sure if this is a bug or can be avoided by some extra settings, so I'll post it here first.
    I tested it in the minimal level scene. Place a RetroStairs prefab on the ground platform, when the character stands close to the start of the stairs(but not on the stairs), add a small amount of upward force to the character(I'm using 10), it jumps up a bit and then can fall through the ground. I encountered this problem when my character was being shot by the RetroSwordsmanWithAGun. I'm using Unity 2019.4.11f1 and CorgiEngine 6.7.

Attached Files:

48. reuno

reuno

@SRx734 > As I said last time, please use the support form if you think you've found a bug, and provide exact repro steps, thanks. I'll need to know how you "add a small amount of upward force", and every step you take to reproduce this, thanks.

49. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I asked before, but I will request it again :) maybe someday, someone else could use a mechanic, like this. It would be awesome, if there is checkbox, in the inspector of melee weapons, that with the same action button (E for example), you could have a different, for your melee attack either pressing the UP or DOWN key + the action button. Example: So I press the action button (E) it would do a normal straight attack, in front of the player, but if you press the UP button and the action button (E), you do an upwards attack, (that you can define the area, of damage and other values), and if you press the DOWN button, and action button (E), you do a different, Downward, attack. (or whatever you setup your attack to be). Also, a mechanic, for a chaged attack, that if you press and hold the action button (E), for melee and range weapons, you could do a different attack (like Megamans MegaBuster, or a strong slash attack like links). Anyone, keep up the good work, you have been doing so far Reuno.

reuno likes this.
  50. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > Don't hesitate to use the support form to make requests, otherwise they won't get counted correctly :)