Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v6.6 : ability split, recoil, hitscan...]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. SRx734

SRx734

Hi, first of all thanks for this great asset. I have a question: I checked interruptable in the character and the weapon, when the character was hit, the weapon did enter the interrupted state but the attack was still going. So what should I do to make taking hits actually interrupt the attack(like disable the hitbox, play a hurt animation...)? And if I want the character to get stun after taking hit(like disable movement and weapon usage), do I need to add a new state to the statemachine? If so, could you please explain how to do that?

reuno likes this.
  2. AndyZeng

AndyZeng

I have the same problem.:(

3. reuno

reuno

@AndyZeng > As I answered the initial question back then, no, it doesn't only work on player death. Make sure you don't destroy your object on death though. Feel free to use the support form and explain what exactly you're doing, I'll be happy to help you.
    @SRx734 > Right now all the interrupt state does is "turn off" the weapon (as defined in the TurnWeaponOff method). You can change what happens in the interrupt state (playing a new animation, etc) by extending the Weapon class (or one of its child classes), and overriding the CaseWeaponInterrupted method. No need to add a new state to the state machine for this.

4. Veritas

Veritas

Can you add a template for new feedbacks and AI Decisions/Actions? It'd be nice to be able to right click -> create new feedback in the project.

reuno likes this.
  5. reuno

reuno

@Veritas > I can definitely add that to the todo list. I have to admit I don't use that specific workflow much, that menu has become a monster in recent versions of Unity, I usually create classes from Rider/VS directly.

Veritas likes this.
  6. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

I wanted to see the MMProgressBarDemo scene from the new v6.6 but I was unable to find it.
    Am I missing something? Package Manager does say my version is 6.6.

Thank you!

7. reuno

reuno

@KriYorDev > What version of the engine are you running? You can double check that in the readme.

8. MVascon

MVascon

Hello Reuno.
    First of all, I would like to thanl and congratulate you on a excellent job on the Corgi Engine.
    I am having troubles with attaching the weapon to my characters hand. I have his weapon's position transform on the Weapon Attachment, but everytime, the weapon goes to the root of the model.
    I have tried many alternatives to correct this problem but nothing seems to work.
    Do you know why this is happening? Any suggestions? Thanks

9. reuno

reuno

@MVascon > I don't know why that'd be the case, as long as you set the WeaponAttachment in CharacterHandleWeapon, your weapon will attach there. I'd recommend looking at examples in the demos (the Soldiers prefabs in the Hunt demo for example). If the issue persists, don't hesitate to send repro steps to your issue via the support form, I'll be happy to have a look for you.

10. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

I believe it was just a bug. Readme was v6.5 despite the PackageManager stating it is v6.6. I re-logged and the Update button was shown again and now it works. Love the radial bar's animation.

Great update!

reuno likes this.
  11. luigi7

luigi7

Hello, some Input questions.
    1 - I'd like to make Player1 to be controlled in differents and separated ways, let's say a couple of keyboard layouts and a joypad layout, but I don't want the user be able to use every possible input in every moment, just to make him select from a menu and then be forced to use that particular layout: if he selects 1st layout let's say he will shoot using only "c" key and not any other key, just to say.
    2 - I'm adding a number of variants of CharacterHandleWeapon, binding everyone to a different input or combination of inputs: I'd like to change some input name to call mine easier instead of using diving or dashing names to do different things.
    I see that corgi relies on InputManager and MMInput, so I guess it's all there what I should extend.
    Could you point me a smart way to code 1 and 2 without touching or breaking any other corgi mechanism? Thanks :)

12. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > 1. That's completely outside of the scope of the engine. I'd recommend using Rewired for this, or any other solution.
    2. You can create your own entries, and you don't have to use the InputManager if you don't want to, simply poll Unity's input API.

luigi7 likes this.
  13. luigi7

luigi7

I barely know that by name, does it fit well with corgi?

14. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > They provide an integration for it, yes. That was just a suggestion though, there are plenty of other similar systems out there, and you can of course build your own if you prefer.

luigi7 likes this.
  15. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno on Rewired docs about corgi

Requirements:
    • Corgi Engine v4.0 (No future version compatibility is guaranteed.)
    • Unity 5.6.7f1+

16. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > From the feedback I got, many people seem to use both and seem happy with it. As I said, that's just one option amongst plenty.

luigi7 likes this.
  17. Askins

Askins

I have a feature request based on the Zipline feature, it'd be cool if you were able to jump onto any point of the zipline and traverse down from the point you touch the zipline. Pretty much like how it works in the Tomb Raider (2013) game where you can just leap and know you'll hit it, would be a pretty nice feature I think. I imagine it'd be a bit tricky to implement considering how the Zipline currently functions but it'd be cool if possible nonetheless!

reuno likes this.
  18. reuno

reuno

@Askins > That's a nice suggestion, thanks!

19. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

I would recommend Rewired for all projects - it's worth the effort to learn and, if you time it correctly, you can get it at 50% off.

You have to be familiar with Unity's input system, but, once you are, it's easy to integrate into any project - you're really just swapping out managers....and that's something you'll have to do with any input system, whether it's from the asset store or you build/extend it yourself.

luigi7 likes this.
  20. andrin_man

andrin_man

I am having an issue with the player character when walking off a platform onto another one. If the platforms are overlapping in the x axis or there is a short vertical distance between them the payer snaps to lower platform rather than falling. The issue seems to be related to the length of the downward raycast that is checking for the a platform. I can see the ray gizmo in the scene view and if a adjust the platforms to extend just beyond the ray things work as expected as it does if a leave a small gap between the platforms in the x axis. I can not find a way to adjust the length of that ray. It is currently extending downward about 2.5 times the height of the RetroCorgi player character that I am using for testing purposes. It appears as though this ray is calculated based on the size of the BoxCollider on the player character in the CorgiController script. Is there a way to adjust the length of this raycast in order to correct the player behavior? Or is there something else I am missing?

21. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > Please use the support form and provide steps to reproduce your issue (ideally in any of the demos, no changes made), I'll be happy to check it out. Right now I'm not sure what ray you're referring to (there are quite a few).

22. luigi7

luigi7

I've been lured to InControl as it's simpler and I have it already from an Humble Bundle, but I see rewired it's way more adviced. Plus, I tried and it's perfectly integrated.
    Anyway thanks for the advice: not sure what to use yet, but it' always apperciated to have opinions.

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  23. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Simple question, but somehow, I cant get it to work myself. How do I stop the camera from umping everytime the character jump. I am using MinimalRooms1 as an example.

So i want it to be like in Mario 1 in nes, where no matter where the character is in the screen the camera wont follow him.

----

Update I know that by default If I resize the level bounds to size I want the game to be, that does the work, but I is there other ways? For example to resize the camera movement to the size of the room?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  24. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > I'd recommend using the Cinemachine rig for that, and simply tweaking the dead zone to fit your needs.

25. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

26. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

Hi there, quick question. I am taking your RetroSwordsmanWithAGun, prefab, and just trying to swap it with some animations and sprites of my own, to test some things. But when I try to change the box colliders, so it matches the size of my Character, instead of walking normally, he gets stuck on the floor and flips forward and backwards. This happens to the RetroSwordsmanWithAGun prefab also if I dont do any changes. I have never experiene this before. I am on corgi engine 6.5, and have change many enemies, before and change the collider with no issues. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1my1XH8IZDiNxdkeO8qscI-djP7w-xB4C/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

27. reuno

reuno

@unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA > Without detailed steps about what you're doing exactly, it's hard to tell, but my first guess would be that you didn't change the length of the AIActionPatrol's Hole Detection Raycast Length. Setting it to 3 (or any other value coherent with your new y size) should fix the problem. Please let me know if it doesn't.

28. unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

unity_YoaP2NCvxCuybA

I basically changed the animator and sprites on your RetroSwordsmanWithAGun, and of course de box collider, and yes... that fixed everything! thanks!

reuno likes this.
  29. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hello guys!

Need some help with a feature. Using Corgi, what is the best way to trigger an animation related to kind of deaths?

For example: Our character is attacked by a zombi (death 1), but if is attacked by a vampire (death 2). It will also applied to mobs. If zombi receives a bullets from a shotgun (damage 1), if by a simple gun (damage 2).

Thanks in advance and keep going with our best dream.

30. reuno

reuno

@javi_unity402 > That'd require a dedicated system, there is no such feature at the moment.

javi_unity402 likes this.
  31. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Thanks @reuno. If I go deep with this, I will let you know

reuno likes this.
  32. xagarth

xagarth

Hey @reuno

AIShootOnSight.cs has a bug on line 79.
    If no players are yet present in the scene (enemies spawn before players) it will throw an error since LevelManager.Instance.Players [0] does not exist.

Also, i'm not entirely sure if this code make sense as it will only target player 0.

BTW, do you have *any* plans to introduce network multiplayer?

Bests,
    x

33. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > I'll look into that, thank you for reporting it. And yes, all AIs right now only take into account a single player, by design. They're easy to extend if you want to add multiplayer rules of course.
    As for network plans, considering the current state of Unity networking, I've put them on hold. Hopefully the situation will improve on that front.

xagarth likes this.
  34. xagarth

xagarth

Thanks @reuno !
    How about Photon networking? You have implemented PUN2 in High Road Engine, is that correct? What is your take on it?

35. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > While Photon is a great tool, this has turned into a complete nightmare. Too many users simply don't have the know-how and resources to do a network based game (it's by far the most complex projects), and completely underestimate the task, then complain that the engine doesn't have a magic "solve all my network related issues" button.

Emme73 likes this.
  36. AltIvan

AltIvan

Is there are bug tracker (e.g. ala github issues) where I can keep an eye on current Corgi-Engine bugs and their timeline to fix?

I just found another bug where if you keep firing while grabbing a ladder the character keeps firing until you release the firing button (of course clicking the firing button from ladder does not start the firing)

37. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > Again, if you think you've found a bug, please use the support form to report it, and provide repro steps, as well as context info (Unity version, asset version), thanks. And as explained in the FAQ, I don't give ETAs. That said, the whole point of reporting bugs is that you can get a fix usually within a few days, most of the time within hours.

38. AltIvan

AltIvan

Like a good project manager I need to always know what bugs the software I'm using has (even if they take a day to fix or a couple of months), therefore posting them here lets others know what bugs I found and (hopefully) I can motivate others to do the same because given that you don't have an issue tracker publicly available posting the issues here is the best we (as users) can get, not only for the trackability of bugs but to gain knowledge of the areas where most bugs are likely to happen and other insights that could prove useful to create a top quality videogame with the engine.

BTW found another 2 bugs, enemies like to keep firing when another enemy obstructs their view while firing the player, and this led me to discover another bug, the visual feedback never stops even if the enemy firing it is far far away, video here:

39. reuno

reuno

@AltIvan > I don't think reporting bugs on a forum where almost nobody goes to anymore is a good way to manage a project. But feel free to disagree! Personally, I get 50 to 100 "bug reports" a day, and provide support to many studios and teams. And thankfully, most people provide context info and use the proper channels to do so, and that lets me provide them with quick and useful help, whether it's a patch or simply instructions on how to do things. This has let me deliver regular updates (51 releases over the last 5 years for the Corgi Engine), that always fix all reported bugs to date.

Also please note that not everything is a bug :
    - This specific AI in that demo simply has no decision in place to stop firing in that situation. That's not a bug, and you can modify it to suit your specific rules if you want to.
    - These AIs also don't have a decision setup to check if an enemy is obstructing their view. Likewise, you can implement that rule, out of the box, if you want to. And there's no rule in place to prevent that specific feedback based on distance, but that doesn't mean you can't have one if you want.

These are just simple AI examples, they don't do more than what they're setup to do. But the engine lets you add as many rules as you want, and if you need other enemies to obstruct your sight for example, that's built-in if you need it. And in cases where a feature is not there yet, you can request it, and I'll be happy to add it. If you need help with any of these, of course I'll be happy to show you how to do so.

As I've explained to you multiple times before, there is a support form, linked to a bug tracker, it lets me keep track of things, mutualize, and deliver fixes quickly. That's how bugs get reported. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but I won't be able to help you if you don't let me. I hope you'll let me :)

40. mike000mike

mike000mike

HI , i download the PC Demo and Run(https://reuno.org/upload/corgi-engine/corgi-engine-pc.zip)
    RetroAI Scene has low FPS 16
    Corgi Engine FPS.png
    Then,I use Unity open the RetroAI scene,the FPS is 16 too.
    Is there something wrong with my PC?
    My PC: CPU 3.5G Hz with 6 cores, 64G DDR3 Ram, 1080Ti 11G VRam, Windows 7 X64

41. reuno

reuno

@mike000mike > I don't know if there's something wrong with your PC, it's hard to tell, but 16fps feels very, very low for these specs. The next update will bring significant performance improvements on that front, hopefully that'll help on your machine.

42. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Windows 7 EOL'd in January....I recommend updating to Windows 10.

(just downloaded and got 70-80fps with a much weaker rig than yours)

43. mike000mike

mike000mike

I just test TopDownEngine Demo, about 150 FPS:confused::confused::confused:

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  44. reuno

reuno

@mike000mike > I tested RetroAI on an old laptop yesterday, got a strong 60fps. You may want to try on other computers. Could be a Windows 7 issue, I suppose.

45. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno > Hello, I'd like to have multiple kind of attacks, one per button, every button has its own different input: is it enough just to map every attack to a different CharacterHandleWeapon overriding HandleInput()? In this case, is every attack mutually excusive or I'll need some attack manager? Thank you

46. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > You can look at CharacterHandleSecondaryWeapon, and create more on that same model (Third, Fourth, etc). They won't be exclusive. If you want them to be, you'll need an extra class to handle your specific rules.

luigi7 likes this.
  47. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hello guys,

Question. What’s the best way to add a weapon item to a equipment inventory at runtime?

I have been reading the api documentation but I can’t make it work.

Thanks!

48. reuno

reuno

49. storkyplay

storkyplay

Hi, can you tell me where the save files are located by default? Just need to use Steam cloud...

50. reuno

reuno

unityunity