Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Tycellent > Usually you tweak your animation and movement speed so they match.
    There's no system reading your sprite's feet position and adapting speed to that if that's your question. I have to admit I don't know of any game that does that, usually you solve that at the animation level.

2. Tycellent

Tycellent

Ahh not a problem. I wasn't too sure myself where it would lie but it's all good. Thanks again for replying so fast!

3. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

The slope is exactly 45º.

i made a new project, imported Corgi Engine from the Asset Store, created a auto-build player character and my character still not jump in a straight floor. I think this is a bug.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  4. NappingStarGames

NappingStarGames

I bought the Corgi Engine and have seen the tutorials to make my own game. GREAT ASSET!!!
    I'm now looking on the 5.4 update tutorial on Youtube and found that the zipline is not in my asset. No scripts no prefabs.
    I've checked the version on my Corgi Engine and even imported again into a new project but still couldn;t find it.
    I've bought the Corgi Engine + Handcrafted Art - 2D Platformer Mega Bundle(link).
    Is there any chance that some features have been omitted in the Mega bundle?

5. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > Please use the support contact form if you think you've found a bug, and provide the requested info, thanks!
    @ckgames-admin > You probably want to read the first, highlighted item of the FAQ. If that doesn't solve it, please let me know using the support form, thanks.

6. Shekkles

Shekkles

@reuno thanks for the reply. I bough the engine last week and I've been playing around in it. Thank you so much for all the effort you put in.

7. wangyuxuan669

wangyuxuan669

First I need to say, I love this engine. It made me an artist to create a game.
    I am creating a multiplayer game. But I can't bring up the pauseSplash in the UI camera.
    And I also looked at THE HUNT level, Its pauseSplash can't be called out either.
    PS. I use joysticks as input devices.
    Is it where I don't understand? please help me and thank you so much.

8. hassonhamo3

hassonhamo3

found a solution yet ? I really want that rope system so bad

9. reuno

reuno

@wangyuxuan669 > That seems entirely normal, characters in the Hunt demo don't have a CharacterPause ability. You just need to add one to your characters to have them trigger pauses, as explained in the documentation.

10. wangyuxuan669

wangyuxuan669

Thanks a lot! This is very useful!
    But I got a new problem now. Today I open my project and run the StartScrern, the console tell me 'Scene 'LoadingScreen' couldn't be loaded because it has not been added to the build settings or the AssetBundle has not been loaded. ' I checked other levels, and all the scenes that need loading will report an error.
    But I followed the cue in the build settings to see but the LoadScene is been added.

11. reuno

reuno

@wangyuxuan669 > I've never seen that error in any other context than when a scene is not in the build settings. So it's probably the issue here as well. If the problem persists try doing a fresh install of the asset in an empty project. If you have more questions like these please use the support contact form, thanks.

12. Mindjar

Mindjar

@hassonhamo3 - I've integrated Rope 2D into Corgi - it's pretty straightforward.

13. hassonhamo3

hassonhamo3

it's good to hear that , how to get it and is it free ?

14. Mindjar

Mindjar

15. matttardiff

matttardiff

I've gone through this set up before.
    • Create sprite
    • Add MM Trigger and Collision script
    • tell it what I want it to do
    In this case, when the player enters the trigger I want it to play a specific animation.

I have the animation ready to go

On the trigger I created two slots, one for the animator.enabled and the other animator.play (string) and I place the name M88 Crawler Emerge in the slot as show in the picture

But as soon as I deselect the trigger and reselect, the name disappears as shown below.

I've tried just using the Animator.play (String) alone and with the Animator.enabled.
    It disappears every time.
    What am I missing?

16. wangyuxuan669

wangyuxuan669

Sure and thanks the repeat

reuno likes this.
  17. reuno

reuno

@matttardiff > There was indeed a bug in the MMTriggerAndCollision script in the last release. It's been reported around 50 times already, and fixed :) I had no idea so many people were using this helper. Don't hesitate to use the support form to report bugs, that way I can send you the fix directly. Note that the bug wasn't exactly what you're reporting, but it seems to work now, so I guess it also fixed this. The fix will be included in the next release of course.

18. Valathene

Valathene

Hi @reuno

I have been with Corgi since 2015, and finally came back to development,

Its been a long time and I want to get back into using Corgi,

I was wondering Is there a tutorial page or a video I can go to and learn about setting up a new project fresh not using corgi as a template or any of the demos and slowly building out the game,

I know you have all those YouTube videos and documentation but I cannot find a starting point and its got me mind boggled.

19. reuno

reuno

@Valathene > Well I guess the Contents of the asset and Minimal scene tutorials would be good starting points. And then pick whatever video focuses on what you prefer. The engine being an engine, and not just a reskinnable template, it's hard to make a video where you just "build the game", as it can build so many different games and gameplay styles. That wouldn't make much sense :)

20. matttardiff

matttardiff

@reuno
    Crap, yeah I immediately forgot about the support form.
    Won't happen again.

21. reuno

reuno

@matttardiff > No problem at all. Drop me a line if you want the fix before the next release :)

22. Quinn221

Quinn221

Question for all you Corgi users. I noticed that the character switch will not switch the current weapon. The weapon will be visible in the weapon display, but you will not be able to use it. Have any of you used the character switcher with weapons? If so, how did you work around it so the weapon will also switch.

23. reuno

reuno

@Quinn221 > Calling ChangeWeapon should do the trick. I'll add that to the next release as an option, good idea!

Kelgand and Boom_Shaka like this.
  24. Quinn221

Quinn221

@reuno that would be great! Thanks

25. SDC1235

SDC1235

26. reuno

reuno

@SDC1235 > You can use any character you want as long as it works in Unity.

27. HCrowley

HCrowley

hi

i bought this way back in 2015, but i got sidetracked by other projects, so i've only just got round to using it in anger (on a small prototype castle-vania-em-up)

i've been plugging away for a week or two now, with the help of the documentation and the extensive examples, and so far i've been able to get round any of the obstacles i've encountered, apart from this one thing:

my player character uses a melee weapon attack. that's all set up ok and working fine. press Attack, swing the weapon, kill the things... EXCEPT:

if the player rapidly switches direction while moving and, while doing so, presses the Attack button, then the attack is successfully triggered, as expected, BUT, the corresponding attack animation doesn't play

i've twiddled around with all the variables exposed in the inspector, for the player, and for the weapon, but i'm guessing that the problem goes deeper than that, probably at the animation level. however for the life of me i can't think of any other avenues to pursue to fix it, so any suggestions would be more than welcome

28. reuno

reuno

@HCrowley > Wild guess without more details of course, but it's likely just an animator setup issue. Something (and by that I mean another transition) is preventing your attack animation to play. You'll want to tweak your transitions conditions and settings so that it doesn't happen. Usually it's mostly exit time and interruption conditions, but depending on your setup it could be something else. I recommend reading Unity's documentation about animators to learn more about it. If the problem persists please drop me a line on the support contact form.

29. NappingStarGames

NappingStarGames

Thanks for your reply:)
    I've read the highlighted item that you've mentioned. Found out that the Corgi Engine 5.4 requires Unity 3.4 or more but my Unity Engine was also 3.4.
    The Unity Asset Store only shows "import"
    I tried upgrading Unity version to more recent version(now I have 3.12) but still don't have the zipline.
    Thank you.
    I 1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  30. HCrowley

HCrowley

@reuno you may well be right, but i've reduced the player to the barest minimum of functioning components, i've reduced the animation controller to just idle, walk, and startMelee, and i've reduced each of those animations to just a single frame of animation, and it STILL exhibits the same behaviour (no matter how much i fiddle with transition conditions and settings)

i'll bang on for a while longer, but i may have to use the support contact form at some point, because this is preventing me from moving forward with the rest of the project

31. reuno

reuno

@ckgames-admin > As I said in my previous reply, please use the support contact form, I'm gonna need more info from you to be able to help.
    @HCrowley > You can use the debugger to easily make sure the chain of events happens in the right order. If it doesn't, please let me know. Changing the duration of your animations probably won't solve the issue though, as I said, it's likely a transition issue, not an animation one. The length of the animations doesn't factor in transitions really :)

32. NappingStarGames

NappingStarGames

Is it possible to use two AI Decision Distance To Target in one AI character?
    One for tracking players while patrolling and one for checking if the player is on effective range to hit melee attack.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  33. reuno

reuno

34. reuno

reuno

@ckgames-admin > The email you used to contact me (jjhhrry2@gmail.com) doesn't exist.

35. matttardiff

matttardiff

I'm asking this question from the perspective of someone that does not program. The Corgi Engine gives me 80% of what I need and until I can hire a programmer for A Crooked Heart, I have to accept my limitations.
    The animation is not a cycle.

Is there a way to trigger an action more than once using the MM Trigger and Collision?
    My setup on the object i want to use as the trigger
    • OnTrigger2D
      • Character (under the Runtime dropdown) Animator.bool enabled
      • Character Animator.string "animation name"
    • The object with the trigger is set to trigger.
    The trigger works once and plays the animation I ask for.
    So, when I enter the object, it'll trigger the animation.
    When I leave and try to enter it again, the animation does not play.

As long as I know there's a way to do it without writing a script.
    If not, I'll try to figure something out.

I also tried OnCollision2D but that doesn't fire at all.
    The Collision2D issue is most likely not a bug and instead me fumbling around in the dark.

36. reuno

reuno

@matttardiff > No, there isn't. This class is just a very simple helper meant to bind stuff to Unity's native collider APIs :)

matttardiff likes this.
  37. matttardiff

matttardiff

Cool. That's what I wanted to know so I didn't waste more time trying to figure it out

38. HCrowley

HCrowley

yeah, i can see that the length of the animation probably doesn't factor into the equation, i was just trying to reduce the problem to its barest minimum. in fact i've reduced it even further, to a point where i've set up a test scene that isn't using the Corgi Engine at ALL, and i still can't get the stoopid animation to fire consistently

so, because i want to move on with the project (and my life), i've replaced the melee weapon with a firing one. that doesn't fix the underlying problem of the animation sometimes not playing, but it does at least mean that when the player presses fire, he gets some visual feedback that he's instigated an attack - which makes the absence of the accompanying animation not quite so glaringly obvious

reuno likes this.
  39. Glytchy

Glytchy

In my game I want the player to have 2 weapons equipped at once on different inputs, similar to the Megaman Zero series. specifically a projectile/hitscan weapon attributed to one hand and a melee(with combos) attributed to the other hand (though the animation with use both hands). Can a single CharacterHandleWeapon handle this scenario or will i need a second? If not, how would i set up the second CharacterHandleWeapon to handle the secondary weapon?

40. reuno

reuno

@Glytchy > You can use the CharacterHandleSecondaryWeapon ability for that, which, as explained in the documentation, does exactly what you're after :)

41. Glytchy

Glytchy

@reuno I seem to not be able to find a mention of this scripton the page for weapons, but now that I know it is an option I should be able to find a solution. Thank you.

42. reuno

reuno

@Glytchy > It's an ability, you'll find it in the abilities documentation (and of course in more details in the API documentation).

Glytchy likes this.
  43. Glytchy

Glytchy

@reuno That would have been my mistake then. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

reuno likes this.
  44. MousePods

MousePods

@reuno Hey! I am interested in your 2D Platformer asset. I simply want a tight controller that moves constantly to the right and when I tap, I jump.

Also will have the ability to change the player with a tap (this will be just turning off a sprite with its collider and turning another one on while the player controller is on the parent game object) so for example, I will have to change the gravity, move speed, jump height on the fly.

Example for above: root > player1 with collider / player 2 with collider / player 3 with collider. Player 1 gameobject will be enabled while the others disabled until I click switch. This wouldn't mess with your character controller, will it? Only thing I can think of is something to do with the collider if your using ridigbody2d.cast?

Also, for triggering, right now I just have a rigidbody2d with kinematic set so I can use isTrigger. Would I do the same thing with your asset? Just have the player controller script on the player and the Rigidbody2D set to kinematic?

Does your controller do this? (I am assuming it can but I have to ask as I have bought assets before and have been burned.)

Also, that is the only functionally I want. I don't want to bulk up my project with unneeded stuff. Is it easy to remove everything I don't need such as your advanced AI system, enemies, the inventory system etc...

Thanks! Can't wait to use it :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  45. reuno

reuno

@tobiasparrow > There's no built-in "move constantly to the right" (it's on the todo list though), but that's easy enough to implement on your side.
    You get many options to swap players at runtime, whether it's just appearance, or more complex full prefab changes.
    You also get triggers of course, using Unity's built-in colliders.
    As for removing stuff, it's doable at your own risks. If you know what you're doing it's relatively easy, although I'd advise against it, it's usually bad practice to strip libraries, the parts you don't use don't affect your performance or build size in Unity, so there's not much to gain from it aside from potential bugs.
    I'd still suggest you look at the feature list and documentation and decide for yourself if it's a good fit or not for what you have in mind :)

46. Stilghar

Stilghar

Hi, I have a question I can't find answered anywhere. I am using the Corgi Engine and from what I can see the wall jump requires the player to be first wall clinging (so pressing in the direction of the wall you want to wall jump from). The problem is that if you want to jump like in the gif (fast wall to wall jumps to go up).

corgi-walljump.gif

Going from a wall to the opposite requires changing directions in the controller very fast and it is counter-intuitive. So, is there a way for the character to wall jump when it is next to a wall but without the need to wall cling first?

47. reuno

reuno

@Stilghar > I would argue that counter intuitive in this context is debatable considering the amount of games that do it exactly like that :)
    But it's easy to fix, just extend the WallClinging ability so that the conditions for it are just based on proximity and not input direction to implement your specific rules, and you're good to go.

Quinn221 likes this.
  48. Muppo

Muppo

I tried myself to extend the ability to behave in a way it does only need to press jump button and player goes from wall to wall unless you stop clinging or jumping. Didn't success. I'm almost sure all I need to modify is lines 62 and 63 on the CharacterWallClinging script, just don't know exactly what to set there.

Also some other user asked about this feature sometime ago, can't remember if I voted for it or not but, I would love to see this in a future update aswell :)

PS: CreateNewPrefab.cs shows minor issues on console, Unity 2018.3.11f1

49. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > The "simple" wallclinging is on the todo list (has been for a while), but it's only got a handful of votes. I'll push it up a bit, it's really not too hard to implement, but it's easy to push in an update.
    And I've removed the CreateNewPrefab class altogether from the next update, it's useless anyway :)

50. Muppo

Muppo

Thanks @reuno.
    I'll try again a few days later, maybe I was just not enough focused on code lately.