Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > Right now there is no such feature (mostly because the engine is built with responsivity in mind), you'd have to extend the jump ability to add it.
    But feel free to use the support form to request it!

luigi7 likes this.
  2. luigi7

luigi7

Done, i needed it only for jump ability and it was easy luckily :)

reuno likes this.
  3. luigi7

luigi7

Another one o_O
    I can't make the jump blend tree to work properly: it works only going up, but when it goes down it does not play the right animation. The blend tree transition is based on ySpeed, like the one in your example. In the blendtree view, I see that the transition happens correctly when the character goes down and the ySpeed goes negative, but no animation is executed even if it's there and it works (in the SkeletonData plays correctly)
    I'm using spine, if it may help.

4. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > Do you think the issue is related to the engine?
    Doesn't the ySpeed update correctly?
    If it doesn't, is there any demo where I could reproduce the problem?

5. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno
    I am not sure but I don't think so, because ySpeed updates correctly. I can't repro the problem with your demo btw.
    I believe it could help having falling state/parameter too, just like jumping :) because I can't make it function with blend trees: it there a combo of parameters so that I can separate two states jumping/falling?

6. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > I don't think it'd be a good idea to multiply parameters when the data is already there.
    What makes you "falling" is up to you and your context, but a simple version of it would be not grounded and speed is < 0, you're falling.
    Feel free to add extra animation parameters if you prefer though, it's easy.

luigi7 likes this.
  7. CaptCollins

CaptCollins

@reuno Hey dude. Ive got an archery character that I need to shoot differently when in the air/grounded. Should I just make a different weapon entirely and switch to it when airborne? Or should I expand the original to just act differently when airborne? Just wanted your opinion on what you think would be easier, as im terrible with code.

8. reuno

reuno

@CaptCollins > Both would work. I'd recommend extending to add a different behaviour when airborne.

9. CaptCollins

CaptCollins

Cool thanks man, i'll give it a go!

reuno likes this.
  10. luigi7

luigi7

Adding more parameter would take me too far from the idea: I adopted corgi to gain time and use robust code, and more parameters means fit some code along with corgi .... so only if I can't do any other way - like for the delay question.
    If anyone could be interested, I did it usign jumping for going up and jumping+ySpeed for falling, starting the jump state from idle/walk/run... and not from anystate.
    Thanks for the help ;)

reuno likes this.
  11. MoFaShi

MoFaShi

Hi, I found a problem(or maybe a bug), at line 262 of MMHealthBar.cs, the _finalHideStarted set to true but it is not set to false in other places. this caused the monster cannot display the HealthBar after respawning.

12. reuno

reuno

@MoFaShi > Indeed a bug, fortunately it's been already reported and fixed for the upcoming v6.6. Thanks for reporting it!

13. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Hi there. Quick question, is there a build-in mechanic on the engine, that the character can have a Mario like "skidding", (stops running in one direction, and turning to another one). Example: In Super Mario 1, when you are running to your right, and if you make a turn to your left, the character keeps the inertia the right for like, 0.5 seconds, before turning to the left? If it doesn't have it, where should i start making this ability?

-----

Edit, I kind of got it working, playing with the values on Corgi Controller, but still would appreciate your take on how to manage, skidding (changing directions inertia move from Mario), on the animator.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  14. crom1979

crom1979

Hi, I'm having a lot of fun playing around with the corgi engine. first question I have, how can I make enemies collide with each other? Do I have to do it via the AIBrain and target layer? DamageonTouch on the same layer doesn`t seem to work. thx

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  15. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > Right now there isn't, and it's something I'd tackle by either extending the controller to add it at its core, or by creating a new CharacterHorizontalMovement ability that would keep track of inertia.
    @crom1979 > That depends on what you mean by collide with each other, really. If you want them to apply damage to each other, that's a setting on the weapon. If you want them to change direction on collision, that's via your AI action. You can't have them stack on each other, if that was the question.

16. reuno

reuno

@squarelover > Thanks for your feedback! I don't believe a framework has much impact on whether a game is a hit or not. The talent of the teams and what they bring to the table is what makes a hit, rarely (if ever) the tech solution behind it.

17. luigi7

luigi7

Hello, trying to use the ComboWeapon I get this
    and can't see what I am missing.
    The code is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void Initialization()
    2.         {
    3.             base.Initialization();
    4.             if (_damageArea == null)
    5.             {
    6.                 CreateDamageArea();
    7.                 DisableDamageArea();
    8.             }
    9.             _damageOnTouch.Owner = Owner.gameObject; //  **** HERE LINE 65 ***
    10.         }
    I used the RetroComboSword as ref and RetroCorgi to be sure I was not missing anything big.

18. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > I just did a test in RetroAI, 6.5 on 2019.4.5f1.
    Steps : install the engine, open RetroAI, press play, pick up the sword right next to the character, equip it, use it. No errors, everything's fine.
    So I'll need a bit more info from you to be able to help, as it's never been reported either.
    Please use the support form and provide any context info that may help (exact version of Unity, of the asset, context to repro your problem, etc), I'll be happy to check that for you.

19. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

I usually never ask this, but is there a near future update coming? I am always checking around. Also I am considering on buying your top down engine.

20. reuno

reuno

NEHWind2 likes this.
  21. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Another quick question ( I figured the Inertia, Skidding, mechanic thanks to your advice), so now I want to make a Mario like item system. Lets say for simplicity, I am remaking Mario in the Corgi Engine. I know about the Hipster Bros demo, But I want the 3 stages, of the character, one where he is like Small Mario, (one hit and dead), Big Mario with no power ups but one hit and he transform into Small Mario, and third one where he is Flower Mario, One hit he turns into Big Mario.

I was thinking of tweaking the Switch Character system and applied to a Item, (like the Mushroom item from Hipster Bros Demo). So for example Small Mario, touches the mushroom and becomes Big Mario, and then Make a third item, that makes Big Mario or Small Mario to Fire Power Mario.

How would you suggest making this type of character?

22. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > It's quite specific, so I'd create a dedicated manager to handle this. Tweaking the switch character system would likely also work.

23. mk7gwc

mk7gwc

hi new question.

about One Way Platforrm.

I only want to disable the actions that go down below this, where should I change?

PS
    I had a problem with MM Feedbacks last time, but it was my misconfiguration.Sorry.

24. reuno

reuno

@mk7gwc > I'm not sure what you mean by "actions that go down below this". If you mean preventing jumping down from a 1-way platform, there's an option for that, it's called CanJumpDownOneWayPlatforms.

25. reuno

reuno

Good new everyone, v6.6 of the Corgi Engine just landed on the Asset Store. With 105 new features, improvements or bugfixes, it's the biggest update to the engine ever (also the biggest More Mountains update ever).

It doesn't include some of the new features I had planned for it initially, but instead I wanted this update to focus on quality of life, to be a better foundation for what I plan on adding on next. This update introduces features, like the ability to split abilties and AI brains/actions/decisions over multiple objects, or the new Weapon inspector, that will make it easier to scale your game. And as usual, it also fixes all reported bugs to date.

Here are the full release notes :

- Adds new ways to build characters, by letting the user split the logic components across multiple levels, both at the abilities and AI levels. This allows for easier management, as well as nice features such as realtime AI brain swap
    - Adds support for the "new" InputSystem, and two demos showcasing it, one single player, low setup required, and an event based multiplayer one
    - Adds a new AI Action, AIActionMMFeedbacks, that lets you play a target MMFeedbacks when performed
    - Adds a new AI Action, AIActionUnityEvents, letting you trigger any event via an AI Action
    - Adds the MMRandomBoundsInstantiator, which lets you spawn random objects within a mesh's bounds on demand, by the quantity you want and optionnally rescaling them
    - Adds MMObservable, a new class that lets you listen for value changes on other classes in a performant manner
    - Adds a ctrl/cmd + L shortcut to lock/unlock the current inspector
    - Adds the SwapBrain AI action, that lets you swap the current brain for another one
    - Adds the RetroBlobWithAGunBrainSwap example enemy, that showcases both how you can separate abilities and brain from the top level of logic, and how you can use the SwapBrain action to swap between 2 or more radically different sets of behaviours
    - Adds an example of separated abilities for a Player character in the Brobro demo scene
    - Adds the AbilityNodeSwap ability, that lets you swap an entire set of abilities on a character for another, at the press of a button. Adds an example of it in the Brobro demo scene.
    - Adds recoil and feedback hooks on use, hit, hit damageable, hit non damageable, miss and kill to all weapons (some limitations apply, on a per weapon type basis, but that's the general idea)
    - Adds the CharacterAnimationParametersInitializer component, that lets you auto create animation parameters used by the engine on a target animator, to avoid having to add them manually.
    - Adds an example of a repositionable mobile joystick to the MMControls demo scene
    - Adds an example of a mobile swipe zone to the MMControls demo scene
    - Adds the HitscanWeapon class, a new type of weapon that instantly damages its target.
    - Adds the MinimalHitscanGun prefab, an example of a Hitscan weapon (best used by a Rectangle demo character)
    - Adds the WeaponAutoAim component, that you can add to a Weapon (with its WeaponAim set to Script mode), and it'll auto aim at the specified targets, providing there are no obstacles between the Weapon and the target
    - Adds the HitscanGun prefab to showcase both hitscan and auto aim. It's available for pickup in the FeaturesWeapons demo scene
    - Adds almost entirely refactored MMProgressBar, a complete progress bar system, now more performant, less costly, with new SetBar methods, optional interpolation, hide and show methods, better inspector, text options, speed or duration based, increasing and decreasing delayed bar support, event hooks (on bump, increase start / stop, decrease start / stop, radial bar support, coroutine based architecture instead of Update, and a dedicated demo scene, MMProgressBarDemo
    - Adds selector dropdowns to AIBrain, letting you pick Actions and Decisions without needing to drag and drop them
    - Improves the behaviour of MMHealthBars to allow for easier disabling/enabling
    - MMTimedActivation can now operate on frames (and not just time), and can now activate individual monobehaviours as well as gameobjects
    - Adds an option to ButtonActivated zones to allow for button interaction and auto activation, allowing for example for auto activated dialogue zones where the user can still press to get to the next dialogue line
    - Adds an option to SurfaceModifiers to only apply their force(s) when their target is grounded.
    - The CharacterAutoMovement ability now supports gravity zones
    - Adds spring mode to MMFollowTarget
    - Adds options to every abilities' inspectors to specify states (both movement and condition) from which the ability can't be triggered. Useful to prevent a dash from executing while Idle or Swimming without a line of code, for example.
    - Adds a DashAuthorized() bool method to CharacterDash, letting you define specific rules more easily in extended methods, and improves that check.
    - AIBrain's ResetBrain method now also forces an initialization of decisions
    - Adds a public method to AIBrain to reset it to its initial state from any class
    - Adds new public methods to the CharacterSwitchManager, to force switches regardless of input, and to force a character switch to a specific index
    - Adds an option to Weapon to set a force while the weapon's in use. Adds an example of that to the RetroComboSword
    - Adds UpdateModes options to MovingPlatformFree
    - Adds a ResetPath method to MMPathMovement, which allows for zipline reset for example.
    - Adds an option to CharacterFly to stop flying on death
    - Adds options to CharacterDash to limit the amount amount of consecutive dashes to a certain amount, and define how dashes left should get reset (grounded or time based), and adds atomic methods to test conditions and reset dashes
    - Adds an optional cooldown to button activation
    - Adds an option to CharacterHorizontalMovement to flip on direction change (on by default, which was the default behaviour so far, but can now be turned off)
    - Adds a method to CharacterHorizontalMovement to set the air control base input value externally
    - CharacterWallJump now modifies the base air control input value
    -Adds an option to CharacterHandleWeapon to have the weapon aim control the facing direction of the character (so if you're walking left but aiming right, you're facing right). This transitions nicely to your previous facing mode (usually movement direction) if you unequip an weapon
    - Adds Weapon Rotation Modes to CharacterInventory, letting you add either an empty slot or the initial weapon to the weapon rotation
    - Rooms will now auto enable / disable their associated virtual camera on entry/exit
    - Adds a method to DamageOnTouch to bind a CorgiController to it at runtime
    - Points of entry now store the last requested facing direction
    - MMHealthBar's gradients now get initialized with default values on creation
    - Adds an option to MMHealthBars to nest drawn health bar under the instigator transform, useful when dealing with a ProximityManager for example
    - Adds a public SetAim method to MMAim
    - Adds an explicit option to Health to apply forces or not on death
    - Improves the way MMAim clamps values
    - Turns Character, CorgiController, AIBrain off while the timescale is 0 to avoid a tilemap collider bug
    - Improves the MMBezierLineRenderer, which now works in editor mode as well
    - ButtonActivated zones are now better at tracking multiple colliders
    - Reworks the way DamageOnTouch's damage taken knockback system works, adding new direction options
    - Improves the loading scene sequence
    - AIBrains now force an exit state on death
    - The AIBrain now calls EnterState on its initial state on Start
    - Removes now useless Update in LevelManager
    - Improves performance on ButtonActivated zones by removing an Update loop
    - AutoRespawn now resets AIBrains on respawn
    - Adds inspector groups to a bunch of classes for improved readability on long inspectors
    - Adds debug tools to the MMFlash inspector
    - The Health component now exposes the flicker color in its inspector
    - Weapon's PreventAllMovementWhileInUse is renamed to PreventHorizontalMovementWhileInUse
    - The Weapon inspector now refreshes constantly to display accurate state values
    - The CharacterPause ability now checks if the ability is enabled before pausing/unpausing
    - Adds a CacheAbilities() method to the Character class. Useful if you decide to add new abilities at runtime. It's recommended to avoid doing so, adding components at runtime is costly, it's best to enable/disable instead, when possible. When not possible, this new method will be useful.
    - CharacterJump.JumpAuthorized is now virtual to allow for extension
    - CorgiController now checks whether SurfaceModifiers are enabled before applying friction.
    - Fixes a few animation transitions on the RetroBoss model
    - Fixes a MMCooldown bug that caused wrong refill durations
    - Fixes a bug that could cause a falling character to go through a fast one way moving platform
    - Fixes a missing sprite bug in the SuperHipsterBros demo scene's bonus block prefab
    - Fixes a typo in the CharacterSlopeOrientation's inspector
    - Fixes a bug with the Bezier line renderer's loop
    - Fixes a typo in a comment of the Checkpoint class
    - Fixes a proximity manager frequency issue
    - Fixes a bug that could cause button activated zones to keep preventing jumps after exiting them
    - Fixes a bug that would cause nested object pools to not initialize correctly
    - Fixes a typo in AIShootOnSight's help text
    - Fixes a bug that could cause a character to climb a ladder without stopping when tapping quickly to start climbing and releasing instantly
    - Fixes a bug that could cause self-knockbacking objects to trigger errors when applying damage to non Corgi controller based objects
    - Fixes a CorgiController bug that could cause external forces to be evaluated incorrectly when no set force ability was present
    - Fixes a typo in AIActionMoveTowardsTarget's OnExitState method
    - Fixes an erroneous z coordinate on the RetroAI's Enemies container
    - Fixes a WeaponAim bug that would cause constrained angles to not be taken into account properly when the Character was flipped
    - Fixes a typo that would prevent debug draws from disabling correctly when using the Tools menu
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent combo weapons to pass animation parameters to other models when using the SwitchModel ability
    - Fixes a bug that would let combo animations continue when changing weapons at certain frames
    - Fixes a bug that could cause erroneous wall jump force to be applied when ShouldReduceNumberOfJumps was false.
    - Fixes a bug that could cause dialogue zones to not reset properly when disable after use was checked.
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent the GrabCarryAndThrow ability to grab objects horizontally from the right when facing left.
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent the crouch ability to be used on AIs in some contexts
    - Fixes a null ref that could happen when CharacterJump's ResetCameraOffsetOnJump was true
    - Fixes a bug that could cause AIs to keep shooting despite having exited their shoot state
    - Sound feedbacks now don't interrupt prefab mode anymore
    - Fixes inverted x and y in the outcome of MMMaths.DirectionFromAngle2D
    - Fixes a rounding bug in MMTime.FloatToTimeString
    - Fixes a bug that prevented SurfaceModifiers from keeping track of cooldowns correctly
    - Fixes a bug that would cause the Airborne state to be false when moving over a bottomless pit
    - The RetroCorgi's collider is now a bit narrower
    - DamageOnTouch's DamagedTakenKnockbackDirection field is renamed to DamageTakenKnockbackDirection
    - ButtonActivated's TriggerButtonAction method now requires an instigator gameobject as parameter
    - ButtonActivated's _collider is now renamed _buttonActivatedZoneCollider to clear ambiguities

I hope you'll like this new version!

christougher, KOPEW, luigi7 and 5 others like this.
  26. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

@reuno You seriously deserve a position in Unity team.

Thanks again for your effort.

statrick and reuno like this.
  27. Galllaa

Galllaa

Hi, I love the engine it's one of the best in the asset store. I need help, can someone point me in the direction of how to stop shooting if im carrying a crate? Where and how should i call that i have a crate in the hand? Here is a gif and u will see what i mean.

Attached Files:

28. reuno

reuno

@Galllaa > You'd need to extend CharacterHandleWeapon to add an extra condition check to its HandleInput method. This check would have to look at the CharacterGrabCarryAndThrow ability's Grabbing boolean. If true, it shouldn't shoot.

29. Askins

Askins

Brilliant work on the update Reuno, stellar effort! I always love getting the Unity Store new release email notification and browsing through what's been updated, it feels like Christmas day.

Really appreciate the continued support man, it's incredible!

ZygoUgo and reuno like this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@Askins > Thanks, that's appreciated!

31. pjooren

pjooren

I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting, but while using the CharacterAbilityNodeSwap feature in the brobro scene, I'm noticing that if I'm facing right and shooting, then I press "P" to swap abelites, then walk left press "P" again, now when I shoot, I'm shooting behind the character. Is there some sort of direction update option I'm missing?

32. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno is there a way to implement such behavior: if I press shortly one button I get "ability 1" excecuted, but if I keep pressed the same button for longer "ability 2" it's excecuted instead. Like having the same button to produce light and heavy blows based on press duration.
    Then: is there a priority for abilities? if I put an ability before another, is the first computed before the latter?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  33. reuno

reuno

@pjooren > That looks like a bug. Don't hesitate to use the support form to report it.
    @luigi7 > No, there's no built-in way to do what you're after. Each ability polls input differently depending on what it needs to do. You can extend them to implement your specific rules if you want, that's what they're designed for. As for priorities, it's usually bad practice to rely on execution order in your code, which, in Unity, you can't control unless you force it (possible, but really not recommended). Depending on what you're after, delegates or events may be better design patterns.

34. andrin2020

andrin2020

I'm having an issue with the new InputSystemManager script. When I open the MinimalLevel_InputSystem scene the InputSystemManager script gives an error in the inspector "The associated script can not be loaded..." This is happening on a new project with a fresh import of CE 6.6. I have done this on two different machines using Unity 2020.1.10f1 and Visual Studio 8.7.9. Also, when opening the script in VS intellisense does not work in this script but does in others loaded in the same project.

35. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > Have you installed the new input system?

36. andrin2020

andrin2020

Doh!

reuno likes this.
  37. SRx734

SRx734

Hi, first of all thanks for this great asset. I have a question: I checked interruptable in the character and the weapon, when the character was hit, the weapon did enter the interrupted state but the attack was still going. So what should I do to make taking hits actually interrupt the attack(like disable the hitbox, play a hurt animation...)? And if I want the character to get stun after taking hit(like disable movement and weapon usage), do I need to add a new state to the statemachine? If so, could you please explain how to do that?

reuno likes this.
  38. AndyZeng

AndyZeng

I have the same problem.:(

39. reuno

reuno

@AndyZeng > As I answered the initial question back then, no, it doesn't only work on player death. Make sure you don't destroy your object on death though. Feel free to use the support form and explain what exactly you're doing, I'll be happy to help you.
    @SRx734 > Right now all the interrupt state does is "turn off" the weapon (as defined in the TurnWeaponOff method). You can change what happens in the interrupt state (playing a new animation, etc) by extending the Weapon class (or one of its child classes), and overriding the CaseWeaponInterrupted method. No need to add a new state to the state machine for this.

40. Veritas

Veritas

Can you add a template for new feedbacks and AI Decisions/Actions? It'd be nice to be able to right click -> create new feedback in the project.

reuno likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@Veritas > I can definitely add that to the todo list. I have to admit I don't use that specific workflow much, that menu has become a monster in recent versions of Unity, I usually create classes from Rider/VS directly.

Veritas likes this.
  42. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

I wanted to see the MMProgressBarDemo scene from the new v6.6 but I was unable to find it.
    Am I missing something? Package Manager does say my version is 6.6.

Thank you!

43. reuno

reuno

@KriYorDev > What version of the engine are you running? You can double check that in the readme.

44. MVascon

MVascon

Hello Reuno.
    First of all, I would like to thanl and congratulate you on a excellent job on the Corgi Engine.
    I am having troubles with attaching the weapon to my characters hand. I have his weapon's position transform on the Weapon Attachment, but everytime, the weapon goes to the root of the model.
    I have tried many alternatives to correct this problem but nothing seems to work.
    Do you know why this is happening? Any suggestions? Thanks

45. reuno

reuno

@MVascon > I don't know why that'd be the case, as long as you set the WeaponAttachment in CharacterHandleWeapon, your weapon will attach there. I'd recommend looking at examples in the demos (the Soldiers prefabs in the Hunt demo for example). If the issue persists, don't hesitate to send repro steps to your issue via the support form, I'll be happy to have a look for you.

46. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

I believe it was just a bug. Readme was v6.5 despite the PackageManager stating it is v6.6. I re-logged and the Update button was shown again and now it works. Love the radial bar's animation.

Great update!

reuno likes this.
  47. luigi7

luigi7

Hello, some Input questions.
    1 - I'd like to make Player1 to be controlled in differents and separated ways, let's say a couple of keyboard layouts and a joypad layout, but I don't want the user be able to use every possible input in every moment, just to make him select from a menu and then be forced to use that particular layout: if he selects 1st layout let's say he will shoot using only "c" key and not any other key, just to say.
    2 - I'm adding a number of variants of CharacterHandleWeapon, binding everyone to a different input or combination of inputs: I'd like to change some input name to call mine easier instead of using diving or dashing names to do different things.
    I see that corgi relies on InputManager and MMInput, so I guess it's all there what I should extend.
    Could you point me a smart way to code 1 and 2 without touching or breaking any other corgi mechanism? Thanks :)

48. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > 1. That's completely outside of the scope of the engine. I'd recommend using Rewired for this, or any other solution.
    2. You can create your own entries, and you don't have to use the InputManager if you don't want to, simply poll Unity's input API.

luigi7 likes this.
  49. luigi7

luigi7

I barely know that by name, does it fit well with corgi?

50. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > They provide an integration for it, yes. That was just a suggestion though, there are plenty of other similar systems out there, and you can of course build your own if you prefer.

luigi7 likes this.