Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

In the scene corgi2d mesa2 where the character follows the other, is there an option to switch characters in this scene? Swap the player for each other? p key doesn't work in this scene or is it just to show following?

2. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > No, that's just a follower. Nothing preventing you to add swap to it if you want though.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  3. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Hello. I have a death animation, but I want this animation to stay in the scene without falling. The problem is that if I don't disable collision off on death my player kills the enemies in the scene. And if I deactivate the collider it falls and I don't have his animation. How can my player not fall off the scene and keep it on the floor collider without having an effect on enemies? Thanks

upload_2020-4-20_15-35-18.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  4. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > You can see an example of a death animation setup on the RetroCorgi demo character. I don't believe it kills enemies after death. If the issue persists, again, don't hesitate to use the support form and provide repro steps, I'll have a look for you.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  5. ouraf

ouraf

@reuno just to be sure: Are all the tutorial videos in the moremountains channel still up to date or are there some that shouldn't be followed anymore?

6. reuno

reuno

@ouraf > There are definitely some that may be a bit outdated, but aside from a few details it should be ok.
    You'll quickly notice if that's the case :) Don't hesitate to let me know.

ouraf likes this.
  7. mike000mike

mike000mike

Does Corgi Engine contains "Nice Vibrations" and "Nice Touch" ?

8. jendrikb

jendrikb

Hi,
    I purchased the Corgi and the Top down engine. Awsome work - thank you :)
    Is it possible to export the included Inventory System and the MMFeedback from Corgi or Top down? When I try to export the demo scene Unity wants to export a lot more as I would expect is nessesary (dependencies switched on).
    I´d like to use MMFeedback in another project where I don´t use Corgi. Do I have to purchase it seperatly?

Thanks for your help!
    Jendrik

9. reuno

reuno

@mike000mike > Yes.
    @jendrikb > MMFeedbacks is its own folder and assembly, just grab it. I don't use Unity's export option (it's very buggy), so I wouldn't know about that specifically. In general I wouldn't recommend splitting a library, there isn't much to gain from it, what's not used won't get into your build anyway.

10. Mixa1985

Mixa1985

It seems to me that "Nice Vibrations" are not included in this asset (as well as TopDown Engine).

Me too got confused which assets to buy, so researched into "package content" folder on asset store.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  11. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Hi again. How can I apply a horizontal force to the character glide? I want it to fly faster sideways.
    Edit: I add this on CharacterGlide.cs
    // if we're gliding, we apply our force
    if (_gliding)
    {
    _controller.SetVerticalForce(VerticalForce);
    _characterHorizontalMovement.MovementSpeed = (velocidadeXGlide);

}
    }
    It work. But i don't know if the best option.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  12. Muppo

Muppo

No, as @Mixa1985 said, Nice Vibrations is not included on both engines. Included assets are Inventory Engine, Nice Touch and MMFeedbacks, among other MM tools.

13. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Hi there couple of questions

1- Is there a way to set "Special Death Animations" within the engine.
    For example, if my character falls into a pit with spikes, then Impaled death animation is played. Or if I kill an enemy with Weapon A, it has Death animation A, but if the enemy is killed with weapon B, Death animation B is played.
    2- Is there a method to do a Charge attack, like, Link unleashing the spin attack by holding a button and releasing it, or Megaman doing a mega buster?

Thanks!

14. daniloamf

daniloamf

Is there a way to change world gravity instead of using gravity zones?

15. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Hello again. Can you add an animation after stomp on the enemy? Instead of the jump animation add my own animation?

16. reuno

reuno

@Mixa1985 > You're right, I read this question too quick :) @Muppo got it right.
    @piccolodmq > I think I already answered you via email.
    @daniloamf > You can change it on the CharacterGravity ability
    @hemersonkla > Yes, if you implement it you can.

Mixa1985 likes this.
  17. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

@reuno How can I disable the ability permitted by script?

18. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > Using the aptly named PermitAbility(bool) method. You can learn more about that specific method in the documentation.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  19. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

- Is there a way to set "Special Death Animations" within the engine.
    For example, if my character falls into a pit with spikes, then Impaled death animation is played. Or if I kill an enemy with Weapon A, it has Death animation A, but if the enemy is killed with weapon B, Death animation B is played.

I didnt ask this question via email :)

20. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > Oh, my bad then. You'll have to admit that the wording was pretty similar then.
    I don't think I've ever seen such a coincidence :)
    upload_2020-4-25_8-27-59.png

21. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

it works. =)

22. Bagazi

Bagazi

Will the new unity input system be implanted in Corgi Engine in near futher?

cjackcandy likes this.
  23. haozee

haozee

Hi,

I tried to do a import today but realize that I am importing v6.2.1 instead of newer versions v6.3 or v6.4.
    What should I do?

24. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > If and when it comes out of preview, in a production ready state, then yes. It's been "new" since 2018, and is still not good enough.
    @haozee > First I'd recommend reading the first item of the FAQ, the one with a warning sign and a "please read this" mention : https://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-contact#faq
    If the issue persists, don't hesitate to use the support form and provide more info (it's just above the FAQ).

Bagazi likes this.
  25. haozee

haozee

Dear @reuno,

Thanks, sorry about it. I thought the PLEASE READ THIS was referring to the whole FAQ section and I couldn't find it.
    But on looking closer, I didn't realized the white text behind it was a question. Sorry about it.

26. reuno

reuno

@haozee > You're not the first person to report this, I've changed the colors a bit, hopefully that'll help. It seems that in my quest to have everyone read this item I went a bit too far :)

27. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Hello. I know this is not the place but I have a doubt that I didn't find an answer on the net. How can I flip my player on the ladder like when I walk?

28. Cambesa

Cambesa

Can you use the "public virtual void Face(FacingDirections facingDirection)" from Character.cs? This worked for me when implementing sliding from slopes.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  29. Cambesa

Cambesa

Is there any documentation on what the corgi engine debug lines mean and where to find what's causing them? When I hang on a rope with my player, I see the darker blue lines growing slowly until reaching the floor, then the position/rotation of the character seems to be influenced by that.

I think the aqua/cyan colored line means gravity, which is also growing alongside the darker blue lines which seem to mean the raycasts. Where can I find associated code? I basically want to limit the raycasts and gravity when the character is hanging on the rope so it does not get influenced by them.

All in all, I'm trying to make a character ability class that extends the CharacterLadder.cs and has suport for moving ladders aka ropes. Can you tell me what to keep in mind for this? I don't know a lot of the underlying processes of character abilities and CharacterLadders so not sure what's everything I need to patch/take into account in order for the following features to work:
    -Switching to ladder animation which plays when moving and stops when not moving
    -Climbing up/down relative to the rope segment orientation
    -Don't keep trying gravity/raycasts down
    -No ladder platform required
    -Edge collider instead of box collider

What I have now:
    When colliding with rope segment:
    - Parent character to rope so the character moves along with the rope physics.(can be replaced with other ways of moving when the ladder system works)
    - _movement.ChangeState(CharacterStates.MovementStates.LadderClimbing); // <- does not change animation

Notes:
    -Nothing seems to call the function AddCollidingLadder() and RemoveCollidingLadder() from CharacterLadder.cs, how would I properly use these methods?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  30. reuno

reuno

@Cambesa > These are raycasts gizmos. You can search for raycast calls in your IDE to find where they come from.

Cambesa likes this.
  31. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Hi there, I got yet another question.

I am trying to make a melee weapon that is only, activated when I press 2 buttons instead of one, as an example, I press the Up key and the E key (for attack), and I get the character to make a different attack than just if I press the E button (attack button). I know this is not implemented in the engine, I was adding something like this logic, to meleeweapon.cs
    1. if (GetButton("KeyOne") && GetButton("KeyTwo") {
    2. UpAttack= true;
    3. }
    4. if (doJump) {
    5. //Do Attack, addforce etc...
    6. //Then turn bool off
    7. doJump = false;
    8. }
    Any tips on how to make it happen?

32. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > Extend the CharacterHandleWeapon class, it handles input, the weapon doesn't. You can learn more about how input works in the engine in the Input section of the documentation. In this case simply extending the ability will do the trick.

33. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

thank you!

reuno likes this.
  34. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

what is the difference between gameObject.SetActive (false); and Destroy (gameObject); ??

35. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > One of them disables the object, the other destroys it.
    It's usually better to not destroy stuff, disabling is cheaper.
    You can learn more about it online, it's really not something that is specific to the engine, just regular Unity :)

ShakalXKla likes this.
  36. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > Yes, it does, that's what I said. You probably should check out the link I pointed you out, you'll learn more there.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  37. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

yes. Thanks again.

reuno likes this.
  38. xagarth

xagarth

Hi @reuno,

I've been using Corgi Engine for a while and it's been a blast.
    However, I wanted to add more enemies to my scene - around 50 - and I can see that performance drops drastically.
    With 50 corgi controllers in a scene FPS drops down below 10, reducing raycast don't help much.
    Do you have any tips for having number of opponents in a scene?

To reproduce, simply take MESA1 from corgi 6.3 and duplicate Blob 50 times.

Cheers,
    X

39. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > That depends on a lot of things, and the first thing to do would be to determine what your bottleneck is.
    Profiling would help with that. If it's visuals, then any Unity optimization trick applies. If it's CPU, then maybe the way you created your enemies might need some rethinking. The advanced AI system is for advanced behaviours (as the name implies). If you've got 50 enemies, in a platformer, that may not be the best approach, that's usually something you'd handle with simpler scripts (some examples of that are included in the engine). Alternatively, you can lower the brain's clock, or disable enemies that are out of sight, only enabling them when your character gets close. These are just some of the many strategies you can adopt.

40. xagarth

xagarth

Thanks for ridiculously fast answer.
    I don't think it's visual. I think it's something in corgi, not sure if ray-casting (disabling helps, but breaks the system), or frequent updates.
    Disabling what's away was my first thought. I might go with this approach.
    I was wondering however, as all enemies require corgi controller would there be any way to still have them "Corgi", but more performant?

If i disable corgi controller on all 50 blobs, frame-rate bursts to 200+.

I've got big levels, thus that number of enemies. But yeah, if overhead is too much I might just disable them.

reuno likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@xagarth > Sure, less raycasts, picking the lower expensive settings, all that would help (disabling safe mode, etc).
    Making sure you keep your collision matrix as clean as possible would also help.
    You'd get the same kind of issues if you had 50 active physics based enemies roaming around, with settings as precise as the ones the Corgi Controller gets you. It'd likely be worse.

xagarth likes this.
  42. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Why RetroPushableBlock It does not work in the retroadveture1? The player passes by without anything happening.

43. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > Once again, please use the support form from now on, thanks.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  44. khrysller

khrysller

Hello @reuno. I am thinking about to get the corgi engine because I wanna do a platform game but i need to following mechanic for a 2.5d platform...when the player turn a corner the camera follow... basicly all of my levels will be around a shape... a cube, a sphere with platforms... so the behavior is like in 00:11 in this video:

Can you confirm if it is possible to do that and if there is examples on the engine for this scenario?

thanks

45. reuno

reuno

@khrysller > No, that's not possible. Gameplay is strictly 2D, assets can be 2D or 3D.
    You'd need to be doing all computations in 3D for this to work, and wouldn't be able to use the 2D colliders anymore, which would impact performance significantly.

treekus and khrysller like this.
  46. masak

masak

@reuno Hello, I want to make a cutscene by using unity timeline. But player and AI move freely. What is a best solution to stop them moving? gameobject.SetActive(false)? LevelManager.FreezeCharacters()? thanks

47. reuno

reuno

@masak > Both would work. I'd recommend temporarily disabling your actual Characters, and replacing them with actors, then switching back

48. andrin2020

andrin2020

VS 2019 Mac stopped recognizing MoreMountains.Tools and many others MoreMountians references as of 2 days ago. Has anyone else noticed this? It will see MM.CorgiEngine and .Feedbacks but not .Tools, .InventoryEngine or .Interface. I have verified they are listed in the references folder of the solution but when I try to include then in a script I get a namespace error - "Tools does not exist in the namespace MoreMountains? I don't believe I changed anything in VS.

Any suggestions? I have tried reinstalling VS 2019 without benefit.

49. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > It's hard to tell without any info regarding your context, but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're on 2019.3.12f1. If yes, then it's a known bug Unity introduced with that version. Rolling back to .11f1 will solve your problem. If the issue persists, please use the support form and provide more details.

andrin2020 likes this.
  50. Freezey45

Freezey45

Hi, This engine looks awesome.......

I am close to buying it to develop my next game, taking most of the hard work out of it.

A key mechanic of the game is the ability for the main protagonist to change abilities/powers on the fly. This would alter the players resistance to taking fall damage.

I need to know if it is possible to easily add a fall damage system to the engine? I have look on various sites on the internet but was unable to find out.

Thanks in advance
    Troy