Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

Yeah, I guess so. Fair enough for me.

Also I realized I goofed/had a brainfart. I just remembered today one of the main reasons I uninstalled Unity 2019.1 was because Corgi Engine 5.4 was having errors in it, possibly not being compatible with it. I had totally forgot that until a few hours ago. It just hit me now that duh, Corgi 5.5 is actually now compatible with Unity 2019.1, so that problem is gone.

Sure there are a few other addons that haven't recieved an update for Unity 2019.1, but for the project I'm doing I think I have everything necessary to make it work in 2019.1, atleast for now, so I'm happy.

Thank you.

reuno likes this.
  2. reuno

reuno

@Reactorcore > There are many good reasons not to update to 2019.1 I suppose, but the engine itself isn't one of them now indeed :)

3. Askins

Askins

Hey Reuno, haven't been on the forums in a while but just wondering if you ever found a solution to the Jumper height bug I mentioned a few months ago? Did the input release have anything to do with the issue or was it something else that was causing it? Currently working on the design of my game atm so it's not an essential fix just now but just curious if you found what was causing the issue.

4. reuno

reuno

@Askins > Please use the support email, I don't remember what your issue was, I'd need more info.

5. krisss666

krisss666

Hello i'm currently encounter an unexpected problem.
    I use a ps4 controller:
    The problem is :
    the controller input JUMP make the player jump but the door script don't work (it seams the script failed to reconized i press jump button so it don't cancel the jump itself and don't confirm to open the door)
    But, the keyboard input JUMP make the player jump AND the door script works perfectly !
    I configured all others buttons like horizontal, shoot, inventory and all is working

Another thing: i remove the "space" key in jump unity input, so i can't jump anymore when i press space key.. but i can confirm the door open script with the space key.
    I thought the script check the unity JUMP input, but it seams it's not the case ?

thanks by advance to help me understand what is wrong here. i attached the input unity's JUMP

Attached Files:

6. reuno

reuno

@krisss666 > Please use the support email for questions like these, thanks.
    And as explained in the documentation, button activation (which opens doors, among other things) and jump are two different input bindings. They just happen to be bound to the same key (space) on the demos, as it's done in a lot of games.

7. MeeC

MeeC

Hello reuno, the documentation about the animations with spine says:

"You’ll then want to select the SkeletonData file, and drag it into a scene. Select the SkeletonAnimator option, and you should see your character on the scene."

But in the recent versions of spine unity runtime there is no SkeletonAnimator option anymore, the options are:
    SkeletonAnimation, SkeletonGraphic (UI), SkeletonMecanim.

In order to use unity's animator controller and corgi's states so that you can handle animations the SkeletonMecanim option is the way to go.

Maybe the documentation needs an update to also mention the latest options.

8. reuno

reuno

@MeeC > Thanks for reporting this, I've updated the animation documentation.

9. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Hello. I am creating a runtime platformer editor game similar to Mario Maker or Mega Man Maker and I am using a room system similar to the Metroid genre. I am attempting to use a Cinemachine virtual camera and confiner for this room system, however, I also have the Corgi Engine Camera Controller attached to my camera. This is causing errors and when I remove the Camera Controller it stops working entirely. I was wondering how I should approach this?

10. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > A virtual camera is a controller, so you don't want to have both at the same time, they are bound to clash. You'll find an example of a Cinemachine integration in the Corgi Engine Extensions repository, and a proper (or at least native) implementation is coming in a future update, most likely.

InfiniteGaming likes this.
  11. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Ok. Thank you very much.

reuno likes this.
  12. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Ok so I got it to work (sort of)... but now the camera doesn't move what so ever. This might just be a cinemachine problem not a corgi engine one. This is also just a cinemachine question, but I know you've used it before. How do I use instantiated prefabs as confiners. Right now I just add a new component with the room as the bounding box but it doesn't work.

13. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > From what I remember CinemachineConfiners can have their confiner set at runtime, I don't remember running into any issue with that before. You'd have better luck asking that to the Cinemachine people.

14. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Ok, thank you for responding so quickly and developing an amazing asset.

reuno likes this.
  15. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Hi, great engine! It makes the progress in the development a lot faster!

I would like to suggest a couple of features to the camera controller script:

1- A bool to the camera to follow the player on the x or the y axis. Example: If i disable the Y bool the camera only will follow the player in the x axis.

2- A bool to clamp the camera. If you cross a trigger the camera clamp the way you choose, only on x, only on y or both, bounding the player too. Just like in Guacamelee games. When the events are completed then we disable the camera clamp. A camera clamp in a wider way is good too, with the clamp boundaries larger than the player´s view.

I guess it is a good addition to the Top Engine too, games like Castle Crashers or Streets of Rage to this a lot.

Thx

Boom_Shaka and reuno like this.
  16. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > Thanks for these suggestions. These two features have been requested many times already, I'll add your vote to them. They have a good chance of making it into a future release soon :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Boom_Shaka likes this.
  17. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Ok, I have new idea and two questions.
    How were level bounds implemented?
    Can I replicate it to use as a camera controller confiner ONLY and have the bounds be generated with a composite collider?

18. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > Not sure how to answer this one. Look at the LevelManager's code and you'll see how it's implemented?

19. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

20. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Level bounds is a bounds not a collider so I don't think that will work.

21. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > You can easily create a collider based on Bounds if that's what you're after. If you have more questions related to this, please use the support form, thanks.

22. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Oh, i forgot a suggestion yesterday:

In the projectile weapo script it will be good if we can choose between two numbers so the Time Between Uses becames random in that range.

I modified the script to that, but it is also good this feature from factory.

Thx again

reuno likes this.
  23. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > Thanks for the suggestion!
    Do you have any example of a game that does that? While that's indeed easy enough to add, I'd like to avoid adding too specific features to the engine, that's just clutter after a certain point.

24. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Metal Slug games, the enemies there don't have a fixed fire rate. Guacamelee games when the skletons throw bones too. An unfixed fire rate is less previsible for the player.

25. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > In both examples that's the AI's rate of attack, not the weapon. The engine's AI system already allows you to determine the rate of fire of your AIs.

26. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Really!!?? I didn't know that! I tried to find that in the engine but i couldn't. Where it is? The AI Action Shoot does not have this option. :-(.

27. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero : State where you shoot > State where you wait > State where you randomly decide if you shoot or wait > State where you shoot (among the many possible layouts for such a pattern).

28. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Ok, i get it. It´s another aproach.

but the State where you randomly decide if you shoot or wait , i don't know if there is a ai decision script that decide randomly in the engine. But i will create one if it does not exist.

Thx.

29. RisingHigh

RisingHigh

Just wondering why you haven't set up a dedicated more mountains forums for all these questions?

Seems it could save a ton of time for you only having to answer once in many cases and would be an incredible resource for all customers. It's possible some questions I'd like the answer to have already been asked, would be awesome to see the answers.

As a beginner, it's often hard even to explain some issues - Whilst I've read through much of this thread many times, it's a pretty annoying experience. I'm sure you have your reasons but I'd love you to consider it.

Legionghost likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@tallesmaziero > It's called AIDecisionRandom :)
    @RisingHigh > There was a dedicated forum at some point in the past, didn't prove efficient. I've tried (and am always trying) many approaches, the one that works the best is the current one. Most people actually contact me via email, as recommended (this forum is only 1 or 2% of the requests I get, depending on what week you look at), and documentation is constantly updated to answer points that weren't covered, when that happens. Looking at the documentation and tutorials is the fastest way to get answers, using the support email is the fastest way to get help when facing a problem that isn't already answered in the documentation.

31. Mephialtes

Mephialtes

Is anyone else noticing that when a character is frozen. Its Condition State in the Editor under the Character script still says normal? Im wondering if this is just an issue on my end, or if everyone is getting this problem or maybe it is intentional.

Also I have noticed that when a Character is frozen, you are still able to move with inputs. It basically just cancel's the Frozen state. I can easily just deactivate the input to keep this from happening. But it seems to me that if the character is frozen, he shouldn't be able to be moved with the inputs either? Maybe this is intentional though.

These two issue are very possibly related and are due to error on my part. Just wanted to confirm with others to help troubleshoot.

32. reuno

reuno

@JparrishAU > If you think you've found a bug, please use the support form to report them, I'll be happy to have a look. I'm not aware of any issue with the Frozen state, but there could be one. Please provide steps to reproduce in any of the demo scenes and I'll check it out.

33. Mephialtes

Mephialtes

Alright, I've looked up and down and I am not seeing the Support Email on the asset store page for Corgi. I see "Support Website" on the Asset page, but not the email... Sorry, Am I missing it?

Edit: Nvm I found it after clicking your Username.

34. reuno

reuno

35. RisingHigh

RisingHigh

@reuno - thanks and I super appreciate your reply. It's a real shame it didn't work out as the historical threads on even the smallest of issues would I'm sure be super valuable, especially for more 2.5d info - Anyways, thanks again.

36. reuno

reuno

@RisingHigh > 2.5D is handled in exactly the same way as 2D in the engine. It's purely a cosmetic difference. The engine handles 2D sprites, Spine animated characters, 3D models, vector characters, etc, all exactly the same way. That may be why you can't find specific 2.5D info, as it's all the same thing. Any line of the documentation applies to 2.5D (and 2D, and everything else).

37. christougher

christougher

Hi all, just figured I should post it here as well. For those who want/need Control Freak 2 touch controls for multiplayer I went through the mild tedium of setting them up... any problems feel free to ask :)
    CF2-Corgi-Players1-4
    Also available at Reuno's integrations site

38. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Hello! I am working on a UGC game and I have posted here before. This time it is completely different. When the player enters level edit mode I freeze all the characters
    Character.Freeze();
    And when I exit edit mode I unfreeze
    Character.Unfreeze();
    However the unfreezing is not working. (Note: all characters start frozen).

39. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > What do you mean exactly when you say it's "not working"? What happens?
    If the problem persists, please use the support form and provide more details, thanks.

40. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

The characters do not perform their actions (except the player because I never freeze him) like my shooting enemy doesn't shoot, my patrolling enemy doesn't patrol...

41. Psishe228

Psishe228

Hi, thank you so much for this great engine. I have a question with which I can not cope, unfortunately I am not too strong in programming. Is it possible to make the internal components of a corgi engine zipline similar to what it looks like in Rayman Legends? when i can jump onto any part of the rope and start to slide. Thanks for the answer!

42. reuno

reuno

@Psishe228 > It's possible of course, but would require some adjustments. I can add that to the todo list if you want.

Oakley-Mobile likes this.
  43. Psishe228

Psishe228

Yes, thanks, that would be great.

44. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

Turning CollisionsOff();
    and CollisionsOn();
    doesn't work. Neither does Freeze(); or Unfreeze();

45. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > as mentioned before, please use the support email if you think you’ve found a bug. Don’t hesitate to provide some form of details and steps to reproduce your problem. Just saying it doesn’t work is a bit too vague to be able to provide help. I’m not aware of any issue with these methods, they’re being used heavily across many abilities and systems, and apparently work fine. If you can send me more details about what exactly doesn’t work, I’ll be happy to take a look.

46. InfiniteGaming

InfiniteGaming

In my Scene I have some Tilemaps completely identical to the ones in the RetroMountains scene, however they are not working. Specifically BiDirectionalLadders and Hazards (and maybe OneWay, but I don't need that). It is not the result of my player character because when I play the RetroMountains scene with him it works fine. I figure it is an easy solution I just don't know where to look.

47. reuno

reuno

@InfiniteGaming > I suppose they're not identical, otherwise they'd probably work. But without any info it's hard to guess what the issue is here. I'd suggest comparing your colliders settings, layers, etc. Again if the problem persists, please use the support form and provide some details, otherwise I can't help.

48. Kiltres

Kiltres

is there an easy way to do multiple hit combos? ie using a sword, quickly taps attack three times, I want 3 chained animations/attacks.

49. reuno

reuno

@Kiltres > Yes, that's handled by the ComboWeapon class. You can learn more about it in the documentation, or check out the retro sword example.

50. Kiltres

Kiltres

thanks, ill check it out