Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

@reuno Thank you for the prompt reply. In regards to your response, as I have yet to be able to purchase this package and evaluate for myself, if I am understanding correctly it is not currently a feature to be able to specify a gravity on a per object basis but only through the use of these trigger zones?

In short, does the engine offer support that in setting gravity scale of -1 it is possible to simulate a character on the underside of a platform/ceiling and still function as intended? (E.g. walking, jumping, etc.)

2. reuno

reuno

@yearofthewhopper > Sure, I'll help. Can you send me an email on the support email with more info (what happens, do you get an error, etc...). Never heard of anyone not being able to run it, so I'm not sure what I can do here, but I'll try.

3. reuno

reuno

@lorenalexm > No, that is not yet possible. If you set the gravity scale to -1 for a player, it'll float in the air, and if it meets a platform/ceiling, it'll be stuck there, not walking upside down. It's possible to do though, and you could do it pretty easily by tweaking the existing code. I won't add it any time soon, it's a very specific feature.

4. reuno

reuno

LoDx likes this.
  5. reuno

reuno

A quick update to let you know the melee is now complete :

As is the multi direction shot :

Sorry for the crappy gifs.

LoDx likes this.
  6. awesomedata

awesomedata

- Would this work with Ferr2d's collision setup?
    - Does it support one-way slopes too?
    - Any way I can tell whether I'm on the ground, jumping, falling, or up/down/standing on a slope?

The first two features would make it a must-have for me. The third is just icing on the cake. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  7. ronime

ronime

Oooh, I like the melee. I might end up just using that in my project with the gun being a super or something.

As far as your gifs, I actually like the feel they give. I thought it was an actual render filter.

Loving the kit so far!

8. reuno

reuno

@awesomedata >
    - as far as I can tell on https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11653, this asset uses 2D colliders, so yes, it should work, no problem.
    - it does support one-way slopes. I said "one way platforms" but of course your "platform" doesn't have to be "just a platform". It can be a slope, or whatever you want.
    - Yes, there are states that tell you if you're on the ground, in the air, etc...

@ronime > thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it!

I've been working on the pause system yesterday, and I've even added a bullet time mode while I was at it. So basically in the next release you'll be able to add time control to your game (speed it up, slow it down on demand).

9. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno,
    sorry to bother you ; you have an PM.

10. joe90

joe90

Does this use tiles? Or is the level loaded in as one chunk?

11. reuno

reuno

@sefou > answered!
    @joe90 > Right now the demo levels use mostly small polygon colliders, but you could use tiles if you prefer. It works with any collider2D (boxes, circles, polygons...), so tiles are great if they're your thing.

12. sefou

sefou

Hello,
    for people distracted like me , when creating yours own platforms , add in Project settings/ Tags and layes : one new layer calling ,per example , "platform" . Use it for yours platforms.
    NB : Ferr2D work perfectly with Corgi engine. :)

13. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    Ferr2d uses edge colliders if I'm not mistaken -- so, what you're saying is that this works with edge colliders for one-way jumpthrough platforms/slopes too? Also, does one-way jumpthrough platforms/slopes work with multiple characters?

@sefou
    Is that tag idea regarding one-way platforms too, or just solid ones? If not, how would one set whether a platform/slope is one-way / jumpthrough using this engine? What is the process?

14. reuno

reuno

@awesomedata > You can use any kind of collider for your platforms. For one way platforms I recommend using edge colliders (as is already the case in the demo levels in the Corgi Engine).
    It works with multiple characters yes (I just gave it a try, and it works).
    To define if something is one way or not, it's handled using layers. You set all your 'normal' platforms on a "Platforms" layer, and your one way platforms on a "One Way Platforms" layer. Simple as that.

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This looks like a very nice platformer engine, thanks for making it. If you're looking for inspiration for more features to add, take a look at some of the old classic platformers, like 2d sonic, mario, zool, etc... lots of platformers on the Amiga, Sega megadrive, Nintendo consoles etc.

Does the whole level have to be built with colliders? Looks like your demo level is polygon based?

16. sefou

sefou

@awsomedata
    Fer2D uses both edge collider and polygon collider.But you can use Unity'edge collider : simply add it and uncheck collider in Ferr2D.

@reuno

can you give settings of layers for one way platform and ladder.
    layer One Way Platforms don't work.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  17. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    Thanks for the heads up on that stuff! Those were my only true requirements for a platforming engine! :D

One final question though -- how does it handle slope speed? Is going up slopes instantaneous by default and is there a dampener angle or threshold that slows you going up (and even an angle in which the slope is no longer traversable?) where you might be able to check whether your character has reached it so that they can be forced to walk backwards back down it a bit like in Sonic and Mario 64 -- or into another state such as the Super Mario Bros 3 style slide) until the slope evens out? Or is all of this possible already?

I personally prefer slope travel to be tight and instantaneous (i.e. like most SNES games), but I'd like the option to have both styles (slopes like Mario 64 & classic Sonic vs. slopes like Megaman X and Metroid) if I desired, for a much wider range of gameplay styles. No need for Sonic's loop-dee-loops (that's just overkill), but the option to dampen speed at a sharp angle to the point of it no longer being traversable and being able to force the player back (or just stop him from moving forward) and being able to press down to send him into a slide state would be loads of fun.

Additionally, I'd love the option to just keep a constant slower speed up all slopes and a constant [slightly faster] speed down all slopes (regardless of the slope angle -- *except* for when the slope angle is too steep obviously), which would cover all bases of general 2D movement. This would be all I could ask for in a platform engine.

Just that it handles slopes at all is great, but if the Corgi engine somehow offers this stuff too, I'd recommend it to anybody! :D

@sefou
    Thank you for that! Makes it a lot more clear to me how to go about using it!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  18. reuno

reuno

@imaginaryhuman > Thanks, and yes I grew up with the games you mention, so these are my inspirations.
    @sefou > it's weird that you didn't get the layer parameters with the rest of the asset. Here they are (there are quite a few, and I recommend you respect the order/numbers, there might still be a few hard coded references to these) :

@awesomedata > you can define slope speed by tweaking a parameter (actually a beziers curve, Slope Speed Multiplier) in the inspector. There's also a max angle (Slope Limit slider). So you can even decide to walk faster on steep slopes if you want.
    No mechanism to walk backwards so far, as I personnally don't really like that in games, but that'd be easy to add if that's your thing.

19. thedreamer

thedreamer

do you have plan to support 3D? I want to make game like New Super Mario Bros

20. reuno

reuno

@thedreamer > That's planned, yes. You can already actually, by tweaking a few things.

21. sefou

sefou

@reuno
    work perfectly . I do not know why my settings layers are empty.
    Thanks. :)

22. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno

Sweet. That's good to know actually -- using a curve to edit slope speed is a great idea. :)

And yeah, I would suggest adding in the ability to start backwards (back down the hill) after the speed limit is reached while going forward while on a slope (while also reversing the animation or playing a different one) in case someone has a sonic-like character (or even a vehicle on wheels) they might want to use the "rolling-back-down-a-hill" physics for.

One last thing -- Could you make available a list of physics variables/states one can check for physics events? For example:

onGround
    onOneWay
    onSolid
    onUpSlope
    onDownSlope
    onMovingPlatform
    platformBelow (platform gameobject you're standing on currently)
    platformAbove (platform gameobject you just hit your head on -- think of super mario bros.)
    inAirUp
    inAirDown
    movingForwardInAir
    movingBackwardInAir
    movingForwardOnGround
    movingBackwardOnGround
    facingDirection
    isLanding (which is only true for a single frame -- i.e. to play a sound, etc.)
    isHittingHead (upon hitting head on solid ceiling -- which is also only true for a single frame)
    isCrushed (crushed by two solid blocks)

Those should cover anything a user would ever want to know. Maybe event systems could work there, but you could also build some events into the engine (i.e. let the user set what script to execute in the player containing the platformer controller when the platforming character "isCrushed" for example.)

--

One last thing to consider (assuming you haven't already) -- one might want to temporarily disable physics completely at some point (think how NES mario fell off the screen, going through solid platforms on his way up and down.) This can also be useful for teleportation or other special abilities too. Assuming a user can simply deactivate/reactivate the platformer-controller script through code without dangling dependencies somewhere else, this should be a non-issue, but Unity has a weird bug/feature/design-flaw that ensures it doesn't want to remember animation state parameters (and other stuff) when components get deactivated/reactivated through code (while at the same time, this stuff still persists if set directly through the editor -- go figure.) so I suggest taking this odd variable behavior into account (again, assuming you haven't already) because a user is likely to try to disable/re-enable physics (or the entire gameobject even -- which is where the animator/variable issues come into play most) at some point. So just something to consider -- I personally spent weeks trying to debug my code until I realized this was a Unity issue. So, to help you to avoid your users getting upset thinking it's a bug in your engine, you may want to ensure you account for this likelihood by making a "feature" to disable physics via a variable or something to compensate for this potential perception of 'failure' in your engine when a user tries to do it their own way (thus invoking the bug/feature/whatever by dectivating/reactivating stuff). People can truly be harsh these days, so to avoid having to say "it's all Unity's fault" and look like you're averting the blame to a little known Unity bug/feature/whatever, it's easier to just nip it in the bud.

-

Lastly, I just wanted to say, you've got an excellent system going on dude! Keep it up! To make sure you earn the most money you can from this, you might also want to mention the one-way platforms *and* one-way slopes in your Asset Store listing! I would have bought this long ago had I known about those! I've tried other engines and they burned me (i.e. they only offered flat static one-way platforms for example, instead of moving, angled one-way platforms). That's a major feature that sets your engine apart from the others, so make a note of it! :) That said, I wish you the best on this dude! Good luck! When I've got some money to spare, I will definitely throw some your way! ^_^

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  23. reuno

reuno

@awesomedata > I won't write the list down, but yes, you can check all these states.
    You can also already disable physics. That's what happens when you die for example, you can give it a try in the demo.
    I'll add the one-way slopes to the listing, thanks for the advice!

24. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

This looks amazing and pretty much exactly what I need for my game. Looking to purchase when the next update is out :)

25. sirius_002

sirius_002

Will buy this when it has chase AI enemies

26. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno
    Nice! You're way ahead of me! Go you! :D

And you're welcome!

Personally, as an artist, it's great to see such a well-rounded solution finally available for Unity! I've had to write my own tight-control platformer physics engine too many times since there just wasn't ever any modern engines available that fit all my criteria for a platformer. This is the first one I've come across in many years that does all I could ask -- and more!

So keep up the good work man! Can't wait to see what else you come up with! :)

playometry likes this.
  27. playometry

playometry

This looks completely amazing! My #1 request would be a dialogue system.

Keep up the fantastic work!

28. erpatton

erpatton

Wow, I am absolutely loving this!! Any word on when version 1.2 will be available?

29. cfkhanh

cfkhanh

Amazing engine, thanks @reuno
    I'm waiting for your update 1.2

30. reuno

reuno

@awesomedata > glad you like it!
    @playometry > it'll be in 1.3.
    @TheRealFuzz , @cfkhanh ,@erpatton > I've submitted the 1.2 update to the asset store yesterday. It usually takes less than a week for Unity to accept and update. I'll post here when it's released.

31. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno,

maybe you can publish your roadmap and approximately date . PLAYMAKER support will attract a lot Playmaker's users. Anyway , your engine is awsome.

Thanks

32. reuno

reuno

33. AndPoint

AndPoint

Hi. Can you help me. When I add new level 3. How to make the game form level 2 to level3. I use Gate to Next Level. But When I apply level3 to level name. All my scenses change to level 3. Thanks. I am new with Unity. I hope you can help me. Thanks

34. reuno

reuno

@AndPoint > Please send me an email using the support email and mentioning your order number and I'll help you out.

35. goranobradovic

goranobradovic

It looks like very comprehensive platfromer kit.

Two question:
    1. how you compare it with Advanced Platformer 2D (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15175) and 2D Platfrom Controller (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7381) especially having in mind announced Platformer Pro release (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWuUcW4o3hY9SWM1mDLM_A)
    2. are there any plans for more elaborate documentation or video tutorials? Something to show us how to start our our level from scratch?
    Thanks.

36. reuno

reuno

@goranobradovic > It's not my place to compare it with others. You'll have to compare the list of features or try the demos and make your own opinion.
    And yes there are plans to add more documentation. I'm adding in-code documentation as I go, and try to explain in greater length the parts that seem to be harder to grasp, according to the feedback I get. My goal is to provide a system that is simple enough that it doesn't require tons of video tutorials for you to start playing with it.

37. LNMRae

LNMRae

I just want to say this looks absolutely amazing. Quick question, I'm wondering how much tweaking would have to be done in order to use it as a 2.5d controller? I see in an above post that 3D support is planned ala The New Super Mario Bros. If that is still in the works this is an instand purchase for me.

38. reuno

reuno

@LNMRae > It wouldn't be too hard to tweak. To be honest the only thing preventing me from adding it right now is that I'm really bad at 3D modeling. If you have a basic knowledge of C#, you can do it in a few hours I'd say.

39. LNMRae

LNMRae

My programming knowledge is pretty dang awful, but this has been the most complete platforming kit I've seen thus far. If I can't figure it out, maybe I'll just switch over to using a 2D assets. I appreciate the quick response!

40. reuno

reuno

@LNMRae > I hope you figure it out! I'll get to adding 3D someday, but again, I'm much better at 2D.

41. reuno

reuno

Version 1.2 is now live!
    Here's a list of what's new :
    - collectible weapon upgrades : grab a power up and get a new weapon
    - different weapons : have your player shoot different kind of stuff
    - straight shot, 8 way shot, 360° shots
    - melee combat
    - new (and better) input management
    - jump down from platforms
    - time management (pause, bullet time, etc...)

42. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

hi reuno, can you add to you TODO list something like the Sonic 360 loop? Like this:

43. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Yup, added. Low priority though.

44. Jazoololo

Jazoololo

@reuno

This has to be one of the most amazing assets I've ever seen! :) You mentioned integrating Spine 2D control and I was hoping you could add it to the next todo list, as i'm really interested in using this asset for my next project.

45. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

nice looking asset,

question:
    did you ever added the multiplayer feature yet? or are planning to do so anytime soon?
    i would like to see it with default unity networking or an existing open source networking plugin so it will work for unity 5 and the new upcoming unity versions tho ie:
    massivenet went MIT open source.
    https://github.com/jakevn/MassiveNet
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/op...-networking-library-for-massive-games.273348/

46. reuno

reuno

@Jazoololo > Thanks! And yes, the Spine2D control is coming soon, not sure it'll be in the next update, but it's high priority.
    @GraphXCreations > Work has started on the multiplayer thing. I'm not sure I'm aiming for something this massive, but thanks for pointing it out.

47. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

please dont tell me is with photon cloud, please say no, it.
    photon cloud sucks you cant do authoritative setup at all.

if no massive net how about unity default networking but you be tideup to unity 4.6 only sine unity 5 has so far no more networking since they planning to add a new one later.

48. reuno

reuno

@GraphXCreations > I have not yet decided on a solution, no need to panic. So far I'm just testing stuff.

49. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

i see, well imo the best way is to use an free open source library, so everyone can use and not to be obligated to purchase,

the ideal will be unity default networking but the end of the road is unity 4.6, no more unity networking for unity 5, since they will add a new one later on, the current unity 5 betas have no default networking libraries, no more.

to be honest, photon cloud sucks, prone to cheats since no authoritative gameplay at all, if decide to use theyr standalone server , license is way too expensive. plus the library is so complicated and bare bone.

smartfox is also expensive, plus you need java skills to cod e the server.

i dont know, if you plan to only support unity 4.6 only, then go for unity default networking,
    it is simple, easy to use and it is free imo.

you got no other free choice :-(

unless you build your own networking library.

my recommendation is to use an existing library open source that you can freely distribute, and to use the same coding language used in unity, and that runs inside a unity instance to take care of the authoritative handling and server side collisions and physics etc....

just a suggestion.

cheers

50. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

wow. wow. wow. amazing. I wish it was 2.5D :) 5 stars ill buy it