Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. bravery

bravery

Hi reuno,

In the corgi engine feature list you mentioned in the player movement: "move along a path" , can you please elaborate on this one?

2. shredingskin

shredingskin

I just exported the prefab without dependencies, imported into a fresh corgi project, and the problem is still there, it still works but the error just bugs me.
    You can import that prefab and use it with a vainilla project. I'll send you a email with it.

Attached Files:

3. reuno

reuno

@bravery > Sure, there are basically two ways for a Character to follow a path : the AIActionFlyPatrol action for AI, and the CharacterFollowPath ability. That turns basically your enemies into moving platforms, moving along a path made of nodes. The cool thing is you can turn that on and off at will, making for fun enemy patterns.

4. shredingskin

shredingskin

I'm the only one that UICamera prefab broke the healthbar ?
    Using unity 2018.2.14, I just changed it to the retrohealthbar, this happens in a vainilla install of the corgi engine (just load a demo with the UIcamera.

5. reuno

reuno

@shredingskin > Again, please use the support email if you think you've found a bug, thanks. And please give more info, such as in what scene I can reproduce the problem.

6. LOGames

LOGames

I'm having an issue with the jump time window setting in the CharacterJump ability. I'm using the most current version available for 2018.2.

The way I understand it, this should allow me to stop a character from being able to jump after falling off a platform, unless they have more than one jump enabled. I can't seem to get that behavior. I've tried very small numbers and large numbers (.001 to 5 and a few in between) but behavior still seems the same as the default. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, or just not understanding that actual purpose of the setting.

Other than changing the jump height and jump time window the rest of the settings on Character jump are default.

7. reuno

reuno

To everyone who may have an issue with health (or jetpack) bars that don't appear (@shredingskin and others), it's my fault, I'll fix it in the next release. In the meantime, it's super easy to fix.
    Select the healthbar :
    upload_2018-10-30_20-2-38.png

In its inspector, click on the BumpAnimationCurve curve (or absence of curve), and in the window that opens select the flat one on the left :
    upload_2018-10-30_20-3-27.png

Apply the prefab, and it's all fixed.

@LOGames > I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. I just did the following test : fresh install, Minimal scene with that setup :

upload_2018-10-30_20-5-41.png

To the right you can see the CharacterJump component for the Rectangle playable character.

I've set the JumpTimeWindow to 1 (bit high, but you get the idea, .1f would be better), CanJumpOnGround (but it'd work with other restrictions as well), and only one jump. If I walk off my initial platform and jump within the first second, I can jump. If I set the JumpTimeWindow to 0, I can't anymore. So it's really a tolerance duration (expressed in seconds) during which you can still jump after leaving a platform. It's also sometimes called Coyote Time, or grace period. If the problem persists (or if you think you've found a bug, in general), please use the support email, thanks.

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  8. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

If I only wanted to use the Inventory System, but bought the whole Corgi Engine... which files should I import exactly?

9. reuno

reuno

10. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

So no editor etc. (that would potentially change the games input settings)?

11. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Input settings are defined in the ProjectSettings folder, not Editor. Again, you just need the InventoryEngine folder.

12. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Thank you,
    and reuno, you've always displayed a great deal of respect to me - but I read over these questions and a lot of it is "do a fresh install and use support e-mail". I will tell you, you have the best sidescrolling engine, but I have read in Dev chat rooms about how you make people almost feel "stupid" when asking questions about the Corgi Engine. I know you do your best.

13. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Ok, good for you. Not sure where that's coming from, why you post it here, and not sure I want to discuss that with you. Please try to remain professional, thanks.

14. still_alive_96

still_alive_96

In previous version, I noticed a problem, the logic of pushing-stuff in character's different gravity angle, and now the pulling-stuff added in the new version were very nice, but it had the same problem.
    In addition, I would like to ask when the gravity zone and point can increase support for pushable or pullable stuff.

15. reuno

reuno

@still_alive_96 > Yes, you're absolutely right, push/pull won't work in gravity zones, or on moving platforms. These are the current limitations of the system. If more people request these, I'll see what I can do, but for now it'd be quite complex to implement, and would have an impact on performance for everyone for what is actually a very niche feature.

16. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Hello!
    How to solve a problem?
    If character die in the water, the character respawn with parameters like in water.
    I understand if the Health component is Collisions Off On Death - true, then OnTriggerExit2D on CorgiController does not work.

17. reuno

reuno

@Prog-Maker > You should try upgrading to the latest version, that'd fix the problem.

18. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

Hi,

Been using the CorgiEngine for about 100 hours so far and I love the support. It has so many bountiful features.

I have been wondering, how can I make it so the RetroFallingPlatform object detects collision with the platform layer?

This is because I want this object to be destroyed as soon as it collides with any platform.

I tried implementing OnCollisionEnter2D and OnTriggerStay2D inside RetroFallingPlatform but neither methods is triggered when the RetroFallingPlatform falls down and touches any tile in the platform layer.

I do this because if the RetroFallingPlatform falls down into any enemy, it moves the enemy slightly.

Thanks!
    - EGA

19. reuno

reuno

@EGA > I think it'd be much easier to simply create another class to handle that, possibly with another nested collider of its own.

20. ryanzec

ryanzec

@reuno So I was looking through all the managers and did not see this but is there a way to change the the default Maximum Slope Angle for all game objects with a Corgi controller? Most Corgi Controllers are going to have the same maximum slop angle (that is different from the default) but if for some reason I need to change that, it might be a pain to find all the prefabs and stuff that needs to be updated.

As writing this, I think I might be able to make use of Unity's new prefab workflow (since I am running the beta for my prototype) and just have all prefabs that have a corgi controller derive from a prefab that has this "global" value so I will give that a shot however I figure I would ask if this is already built into the Corgi Engine as using a prefab for this use case seem hacky for some reason.

21. reuno

reuno

@ryanzec > I'd recommend writing a script that looks for all of these in your project and update them.

22. skayster

skayster

Hi, Reuno. Is there an existing way to add a different animation for ladder climb? I am hoping to use one animation for a ladder and one for a rope (which is essentially a different looking ladder).

23. reuno

reuno

@skayster > Sure, just create a new animator parameter and send one or the other based on the ladder's type you're on.

24. Muppo

Muppo

I'm trying to make music changes in some zones of the stage, something like the classic overword/underworld in every Super Mario game when he goes through a pipe. Have no success yet. It's there some component I'm missing or I need to write my own?

Just in case there is no way to make this out of the box, can I suggest it for a future release?

Thanks.

25. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > There is no such component, you'll need to create your own.
    I can add that to the list.

26. Muppo

Muppo

Don't worry, I think I got it this time. Was trying to make it as stand alone script but I can't access the AudioSource from Background Music so I did an override script and it's done.

Have no problem in sharing if anyone wants it, btw.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  27. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

Hello,

does anyone have an idea how I could make a pre-jump and post-jump animations? I am not used to tinkering with the engine yet, so no luck so far. I am using the RetroCorgiAnimator from the Demo.

An example desired results: I press the jump button. Character stops and does a PreJump anim for 0.5 seconds >>> RetroCorgiJumpUp and RetroCorgiJumpDown go as normal during the jump >>> After ground is hit, PostJump anim goes for 0.5 second >>> Idle loop...

Anything would be of help.
    Thank you!

28. luigi7

luigi7

Hello reuno,
    I am trying to hide and disable the character, move while disabled in a given position, then have it back but everything I try works if played inEditor and not in the build.
    Depending on the code I write, I have different effects but I never get the point of what I am missing.
    Making it simple, if I Hide() that way
    gameObject.SetActive(false);
    a Show() like this
    gameObject.SetActive(true);
    does not show the character on screen.
    I tried different things, like using respawnAt or more complicated things, but maybe I missed the straight way.
    Using unity 2018.2 and Corgi 5.0 if may help.

29. reuno

reuno

@kriyordev > The post jump animation is easy, just chain it in your animator. For the pre jump though, you'd need to extend the CharacterJump ability to add a delay before jump and trigger the pre jump animation.
    @luigi-freguglia > I wouldn't recommend disabling the character if you just want to hide it. You'll turn all the logic off. It'd be much easier to simply enable/disable the renderer, or use a shader for that.

30. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi all ! Great asset, having a blast learning its ins and outs. I am having a weird problem that I am not sure how to resolve. Even though I am able to add a custom 3d model and custom animations just fine, the original model is facing with its back towards me (basically showing me its back). When I add a Corgi Character controller, I can't get it to follow the transform Y value, it always spawns in its default position. Is there a way around this ?

Thanks !

31. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno - Sorry I finally figured it 's been a mistake from my side involving a try...catch coded moths ago that I forgot. Same old story.
    Anyway I believe my question maybe interesting: is there a "best" way to completely disable a character, move it and then revive it without breaking anything, aside from hiding it?

32. reuno

reuno

@SpyrosUn > You probably need to nest your character, I'd suggest reading the documentation on how to create a character, it explains that in details.
    @luigi-freguglia > If it's a non playable character, disabling it and enabling it is fine. If it's a playable character, hiding it is the way to go. This is assuming the "move it" phase takes more than one frame, and you need it inactive or hidden for a while. Otherwise if you just want to teleport it there's no need for any disabling or hiding, just moving its transform will be enough.

luigi7 likes this.
  33. misanthropowitsch

misanthropowitsch

Please do so. Would love to have that. You´re going to add it to the repo?

34. Muppo

Muppo

You have it on PM. The repo belongs to @reuno, it's his choice.

35. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

Would love to check it out.

36. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > I'm absolutely fine with this being added to the repo :)

Boom_Shaka likes this.
  37. Muppo

Muppo

No problem. You got an email with it.

reuno likes this.
  38. Askins

Askins

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone on here is having the same problem as me in regards to the Jumper prefabs not being always consistent in its jump heights. For the majority of times the character jumps at the height specified in the Inspector, but every now and then it jumps at half the height and sometimes barely at all. I recorded a video showing the problem here

To reproduce, I added the main 3 Jumper prefabs (Jumper, Jumper and RetroJumper) into the MinimalLevel scene and set the jump to 5 in the inspector. The issue often happens when the character is going full speed left or right and also when it lands towards the edge of the prefab. Might take a few minutes of testing before it happens.

Just wondering initially if anyone has the same result as I'm not sure if it's just my machine, logging the speed.y in the SetVerticalForce void in the CorgiController doesn't seem to show anything out of the ordinary and I've tried a few different solutions with no success unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

39. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

You are talking about the Gameobject under which the model should go right ? (I believe it's called ModelController in the docs). I have actually read that and watched the video too, and have done it this way, but still it does not obey the transform. Maybe I missed something.

40. reuno

reuno

@SpyrosUn > Nesting (in this context) is the idea of having the model one level (or more) below the logic. There are multiple examples of 3D characters included in the asset, have you tried comparing your character's structure with them? As long as you nest your character one level below, there is absolutely nothing that will prevent you from having it face the way you want it to.

41. Muppo

Muppo

@Askins , it happens to me too on fresh instalations over several versions so, it seems it's that way by default.
    I didn't do anything to change this because I don't need it right now, tho.

42. reuno

reuno

@Muppo, @Askins > Interesting, looks like I need to look deeper into this then. Thanks for your feedback!

43. Muppo

Muppo

Sorry not notified this before, I thought it was by design.

44. Askins

Askins

Ah that's a relief to know it's not just happening on my machine then, thanks for testing it out. For what it's worth it wouldn't normally be an issue but I plan on having levels in the game where you jump between the jumpers so ideally the jumps will be the same height. Thanks again for your help, @reuno if you need me to test anything out regarding this just let me know

45. reuno

reuno

@Askins > I'll let you know, just need to figure out why I don't reproduce the issue :)

46. Bagazi

Bagazi

Hi, I used the component of Health..
    upload_2018-11-7_12-59-46.png

Is this DeathEffect gameobject will be released ? I didnot find the "Destroy" funciton ...

47. bravery

bravery

Hi,

Just wondering what is the best approach to implement a fire/water escape level? where the fire/water is progressing in the level and you need to move fast avoid obstacles before it reach you.

any ideas about the same?

48. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > Released? I have no idea what you mean. This line just instantiates a VFX, there's nothing to release.
    @bravery > A very easy way would be to use the one way level system and an auto moving object (basically a one line script) with a KillPlayerOnTouch/DamageOnTouch component on it.

49. Bagazi

Bagazi

I am wondering this Object should be destoryed after the vfx displayed? If many existed invisble vfx gameobjects will slow the game?

50. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > Just have your vfx auto destroy after emitting then. You can use the TimedDestruction class included in the engine for that, or if your object is using the ParticleSystem have it auto destroy on stop.