Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Granted, I do not own your asset but I see this sometimes on quite a few Unity assets sold on the Asset Store. Unless I am mistaken, all the things included in an asset uploaded to the Unity Asset Store falls under the same license, unless you specify differently and then you get an extra link near the buy button with the new license. This is presumably so that it will be easier for people buying assets to know beforehand which license the asset falls under, and if it is the standard Unity Asset Store license then they know they can use it for their project without worries. Which means that legally I think you can't forbid people from using your visual and audio assets in their Unity project. I am not trying to undermine you or anything, just bringing this up for your consideration.
    Then again: I am not a lawyer.

Oh, and your asset looks nice - plays very good which IMO is the most important part of a platforming engine/framework/addon :)

2. reuno

reuno

@Brainswitch > That's a good point, and you're most probably right.
    I honestly don't really care what people do with the asset.
    The music is copyrighted though (it's my band's), so whatever the Store's rules, I guess it has precedence.
    And my point was not really on the legal side, again I won't sue you for using a sprite :) I just meant if you're serious you should use and create your own visual assets. But again that's just my opinion, do whatever you want with the asset :)

3. DBG

DBG

hi how can i do mobile android controller please help me

4. reuno

reuno

@DBG > Well if you're asking how to have mobile controls on Android, that's pretty easy, all you have to do is set your build target as Android, and this should enable mobile inputs and add mobile GUI buttons. I suggest improving on them though, the ones included are really for demo purposes.

5. nadams00

nadams00

Hey @reuno! Excellent work on the project! I've purchased it and absolutely love it. Looking forward to seeing that multiplayer version, of which I'll end up purchasing as well once it's ready :D

I do have a question, I was wondering if the game can be modified to play like a "beat 'em up" style game, sort of like the Scott Pilgrim game or Castle Crashers though with the current character controller? Mostly looking to make a 4 player game in that style and love all the other features this kit has to offer, just need the ability to move up and down in faked perspective. If it's possible to add this as a feature that'd be wonderful but if you have any tips or pointers on how to go about doing it that'd be great too!

I was also wondering if the multiplayer version would have local multiplayer as well as networked? Call me old fashioned but I still love local multiplayer and was looking to implement it in my game.

Thanks so much for all your hard work so far!

6. reuno

reuno

@nadams00 > Glad you like the engine :) Feel free to write a nice review on the store !

And these are two very good questions.

The local multiplayer is coming, but in the "regular" corgi engine, not the multiplayer one, as it won't depend on the network part, which, come to think of it, should be the name of the separate asset. The value of the "Network" version will be how it handles synchronization and interpolation. Local multiplayer is relatively easy to add right now if you don't want to wait. In previous releases I've paved the way for that. The main idea is to have two playable characters, each with a different tag (or any way to address them), add new inputs (two ways to jump, etc...) and have the Input Manager direct orders to each player. That's the basic idea. It's in my todo list, not sure when I'll get to it, but as the coming 1.5 introduces new playable characters (actually 4 new playable characters), maybe it's the logical follow up :)

The beat'em up would probably be tricky. That would imply a lot of changes to the collision detection system. Plus handling stuff like a character walking in front of another for example would mean changing a lot of things. I think it'd be easier to start a different project. I'm sure a lot of the Corgi Engine's code would be of use, but the controller itself would have to be almost entirely rewritten.

7. nadams00

nadams00

Thanks @reuno! That's good to know, and I'm really excited to see the 4 new playable character integration! I'll play around with the multiplayer idea you mentioned for now and see what I can come up with. Also, would the "Network" version scripts be able to be applied to the standard Corgi engine should I choose to add network ability later or is there a focus on keeping the two separate?

The beat'em up thing isn't a deal breaker, but would be awesome. I haven't found a suitable kit on the Unity store yet and wasn't sure if this would work well for that or not. If you were interested, you'd probably have the market cornered if you ever were looking for another project after Corgi 2D, lol!

Thanks again, you've been a great help! Keep up the wonderful work! :)

8. nadams00

nadams00

Oh, and I just left a nice review for you in the store as well! ;) Hope it helps!

9. reuno

reuno

@nadams00 > Thanks for the review!
    The Network version won't focus on complete compatibility in its first versions, but as it's based on the same scripts, a lot of stuff will be easy to switch from one asset to the other.
    And I've always been a huge fan of beat'em up games, so yeah, sounds like a great idea :)

10. fbbgo

fbbgo

hello,
    I bought the asset, I have touch input problems.
    unity version : unity5
    iOS version : IOS 7.12

some touch input is not works.
    up , down , jump, dash etc...

jetpet, left , right fire is works

can you give me some advise?

11. reuno

reuno

@fbbgo > hard to tell with that little info. Do you have any issue in "desktop" mode (keyboard or pad) ? Have you done any changes or is this not working straight out of the box ? Do you have any error ?
    Anyway, as mentioned in the documentation, the mobile controls are based on Unity's standard assets cross platform inputs, and are provided "as is", more as a mean to demo the mobile capability of the engine, rather than as a production-ready mobile controls. I strongly suggest replacing them with your own (or with those of a dedicated asset, whatever works best for you).

12. fbbgo

fbbgo

hello,
    yes, desktop is works well.
    ok, I'll try... add my own control

other problem is below.
    after building IOS version, building is successful.
    but console outputs error.
    !((!IsPowerOfTwo(width) || !IsPowerOfTwo(height)) && !IsNPOTTextureAllowed(mipCount > 1))
    I reopen project can't solve the problem, so I must re-import package.

13. fbbgo

fbbgo

hello,
    above problem is solved. It is control problem.
    I add my own control It works ok.

I tested in my iPad mini2, the character behavior is not smooth(but pc is ok.).

14. snake77jt

snake77jt

If you dash and hold down the left and down arrow key at a sharp corner, the character will fall through

15. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > Yes, as mentioned already, this is fixed in 1.5.

16. reuno

reuno

Good news you guys, I'm done with the 1.5 update code.
    I still have some stuff to do, like updating the documentation, release notes, stuff like that, but I think I'll submit it tomorrow.
    I wanted to create a small video tutorial to go with it. Something basic, probably a "how to start with the Corgi Engine".
    To those of you who've played with it already, was there something in particular that you found hard to understand ?
    I'll try and focus the video on this kind of stuff.

17. snake77jt

snake77jt

the only thing i was confused on at first was with the creation of new weapons, also you should mention not to add the corgi character in your scene because once you hit play, the prefab would spawn in and there would be two glitchy characters in your scene.

18. snake77jt

snake77jt

How would i go about adding a skull sprite where the character has died. And it would stay in that position untill the scene has been finnished.

19. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > Well it's pretty simple, just instantiate a skull prefab at the player's position the moment it dies.

20. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@reuno i saw your new video and played the new demo of Corgi Engine 1.5 and i made a ("near" ready to go) roadmap:
    "These scripts are based on my own "3D Collider" Platformer"

Mr. Reuno, start a Patreon/KickStarter thing so people can help you achieve your goals.

jetpack pickup (Sample .JS Script Attached)
    jetpack fuel
    gun pickup (Sample .JS Script Attached)
    gun ammo
    teleporter (Sample .JS Script Attached)
    time based score (Sample .JS Script Attached)
    star based score like Super Mario 64 (Sample .JS Script Attached)
    level select screen (Sample .JS Script Attached)

key and chest (chest open and drop a star / fuel / blue key / red key / ammo)
    lift n drop crates ( activate a door putting a block on top of a in-level button)

ropes (2D Rope System by Temo Kokiashvili @temo_koki )
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17722

inventory system
    achievements
    ledge hang/climb
    jumpthrough moving slopes
    castlevania like stairways

2.5D support
    spine integration
    more demo levels and tutorials
    and much more...

// If anyone feel good to get this done, just go ahead ._.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  21. reuno

reuno

@KeepTrying > Well I already have a roadmap : http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit#roadmap, and you'll be happy to see it already covers most of your suggestions :)
    I don't think I'll add more pickups for the moment. With the code I provide it's very easy to create your own, and creating a fuel pickup or ammo pickup can easily be done by changing only a few lines of code.

Edit : About the Patreon / Kickstarter thing, people are already paying for the asset, I don't feel too good about asking for more money. I know you may think I'm not going through the upgrades fast enough, and you may be right. But I've managed to release at least a new version every month since the initial release. Plus I try and keep the asset as stable and easy to build on as possible, so that's why a lot of work goes unseen, as it's spent refactoring / making stuff better. Sorry :)

KeepTrying likes this.
  22. reuno

reuno

I've just submitted v1.5! Hopefully you'll be able to play with it soon!

I think it's the biggest update so far. It fixes lots of little tricky things, improves a lot of others, and adds a lot of new content.
    Here's a video that sums up most of what the asset now contains :

I've also updated the asset's page over there : http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit

I'll post more details about the various new features of 1.5 here over the week.
    I hope you guys'll like it! Let me know what you think!

Exeneva, Mr-Stein and KeepTrying like this.
  23. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Thank you @reuno i'm really enjoying what i'm seeing, Corgi Engine is by light-years
    the most advanced 2D Platform Engine in UAS.
    As soon as i finish my 3D to 2D conversion i will add Corgi Engine in my pipeline.

reuno likes this.
  24. snake77jt

snake77jt

i would like to just say great job in this new update, it is way bigger than i expected it would be. The characters look phenomenal btw. 1 update per month is actually very frequent compared to most assets in which it would be updated every couple of months with little to no new features added.

25. snake77jt

snake77jt

You should advertise this asset more often because it already has a lot more usefull features than the upcomming " advanced 2d platformer" (which is going to release very soon), and it would bring you major funds.

26. p6r

p6r

Wow !!!
    What is not in this engine ???
    Fantastic job !!!
    6R

27. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno... this look AWESOME!!! mate being honest, i think the corgiengine with this update the value should be much more than $ 50(from art to the code), I never saw anything so well done in the Asset Store, again.. awesome..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  28. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

I'm not finding any major bugs with this update. The only things I noticed are small transparent with the tiling on the retro level, and if you jump too far away from an NPC that forces your character to stop, it won't let you continue the dialogue and will keep your character in a frozen state. The easiest way to replicate this bug is to simply perform a dash away from the NPC just prior to you talking to it.

29. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > I'm glad you like the update. Any idea how I could "advertise this asset more often" ? It's my first asset and I don't really know much about asset promotion.
    @p6r > thanks!
    @Mr.Stein > thanks a lot for these kind words :)
    @hodge_podge > Thanks for the feedback. The tiling thing is mainly my fault. I've relied on Unity "press v and drag your prefab" to position the tiles, I could have done a better job. It has nothing to do with the engine itself though. The NPC thing is a bug though. I'll fix it :)

By the way, one thing about the new characters I didn't mention so far : they don't have ladder climbing animations. The reason for that is that they're powered by Spine, and the current runtime doesn't allow me to have two different "skeletons" in the same character (or I didn't find out how). Anyway, just to be clear : no ladder animations for the new characters. Anyway, they're more examples of what you can achieve and how you can plug the Corgi Engine with Spine.

30. reuno

reuno

Alright, so let's talk about some of the features in the upcoming/submitted v1.5.

First of all, it's not really a feature, but you'll be happy to know that it works great in HTML5 : http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/html/
    It takes ages to compile, doesn't support gamepads and weighs a ton, but hey, at least it works.

Then, one of the main new features (at least my personal favorite) is the dialogue engine :

It's a very simple one, and maybe even "dialogue" is a strong word. Let's just say it'll allow you to communicate with your player, and that's a start.
    It all starts with a boxCollider2D with a DialogueZone script added. The one in the example above happens to be over a character, but you can of course do whatever you want.
    Everything with a Player tag that will enter this zone will activate the DialogueZone.
    You can customize it quite a bit, as shown in the screenshot.
    You can decide that it's button handled, or that the dialogue will start automatically when the zone is entered.
    If it's button handled, you can have a "A" prompt pop over the zone, and on each dialogue box.
    You can decide if the player will be able to move once the zone is triggered, or if it will remain in place until the end of it.
    You can also customize various time variables (fades, duration of the dialogue boxes display...)
    You can decide to have a little down pointing arrow or not (basically do you want a speech bubble or a tooltip ?).
    You can set the background color and text color.
    And of course you can customize the text messages that will be displayed. The asset will automatically resize the bubble and center it all. It's up to you to decide where you want each line to end, as shown on the capture above.

I'm sure there's room for improvement but I've found it easy to use (the demo levels use these dialogue zones extensively), and quite fast, considering all the customization is done in the Inspector. I hope you'll like it!

captnflem likes this.
  31. snake77jt

snake77jt

for the lava tileset, did you just cut up a texture and used it as blocks?

32. reuno

reuno

I usually proceed the other way around, and this is true for all environments (well not the tile based ones), not just lava :
    - I open photoshop and draw semi random shapes with the lasso tool, black on white
    - when I'm happy with what I've got I import that spritesheet into Unity and create platform prefabs out of it
    - I test and test again, make changes when needed
    - when the platforms "work" as black shapes, I go back to photoshop and paint over them

I guess you can also go the other way and start from a texture if you prefer.

33. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@reuno Talking about "Asset Promotion", first of all, you need a better signature.
    Just like my :D

34. snowcult

snowcult

I'm keen to buy but just because I'm a cheapskate (not really, I've spent quite a lot of money in the asset store lol), I was wondering what the chances of this asset going on sale in the next month is?

35. reuno

reuno

@KeepTrying > The signature's a good idea, thanks!
    @ShinfoK > The chances of this asset going on sale this month are precisely 0%. And probably the same for the months after that :)

KeepTrying likes this.
  36. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I've bought this asset a while ago but only now I started working with it and in the past days I've been heavily modifying a lot of code.
    Now though that there seems to be a juicy update out soon I'm afraid I will have to go back and merge things by hand.
    Any idea if there is any easy way to not lose my mind when upgrading? it seems that if I just import the asset then the whole project will be affected.

Another thing: Is variable height jumping possible with the current code?
    I haven't actually changed that part of the code (mostly I messed around with the camera and level management) but right now my character does a fixed-height jump.
    I hope it's just some setting I have to change in the controller rather than having to mess with the code

37. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > You're completely right, upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5 will probably break stuff. As with most major upgrades, a choice had to be made between bringing new stuff to the table or leaving the project as it was. I'd like to say that's the last time major changes are made to the core of the asset, but I can't guarantee that.

If I were you, if you've already spent a lot of time on it and if your project already "works", I wouldn't upgrade for this project, and use the latest version on the next one. There's no automatic way to upgrade. And the difficulty will depend on your general Unity skills. The main thing that could cause trouble is the fact that I've had to rename a few folders.

About the variable height, since 1.1 (I think) you can set your jump heights to be proportional to the time the jump button is pressed. If that's what you're looking for, then it can easily be changed from the inspector (at least in 1.5, and I'm pretty sure it was also the case in 1.4). Look for a "Jump is proportional to the press time" checkbox in the Character Behavior Inspector.

MaddoScientisto likes this.
  38. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

Ah there it is!
    Because of clipping all I could read was "jump is p" so I had no idea what the checkbox actually did.

By the way, this is just a personal opinion, you should adopt a library-like approach in which the actual implementation just calls methods from the library making updating easy and mostly safe.
    I know it would be hard to refactor the code in such a way but I still think you should at least consider something like that

39. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > Yes, that's what I'm aiming for. I'm actually quite confident that most core classes have now reached a state that (hopefully) will allow for the addition of new features without breaking everything. But I prefer not to promise anything :)

MaddoScientisto likes this.
  40. magarcan

magarcan

Which is the script that draws the mobile buttons? I've been looking for it but can't find it.
    I've a problem testing it in my tablet, that buttons are huge.

41. snowcult

snowcult

Ah ok, well you can't fault me for checking :) I'll just buy now then. Sucks with the AUD/USD conversation rate atm though :(

Edit: Scratch that. I'll wait til the dollar is better. It's nearly $70AUD.

42. reuno

reuno

@magarcan > Buttons are not script drawn, they're nested inside the UI Camera (and hidden when targetting something else than mobile). You can rescale them like any prefab.
    @ShinfoK > That is indeed a bad conversion rate :(

magarcan likes this.
  43. reuno

reuno

Good news you guys, the Corgi Engine v1.5 is now available on the store!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26617

In other news, until today, there was a game using the asset on Steam Greenlight. It's been taken down today. Turns out the author had pirated the asset, and had basically changed nothing except the color of the little corgi dude, and called it a fox. It's a corgi. A cute little dog with ridiculous legs. Why a corgi you may ask. Well because my wife has one, and she wanted one in the asset. There she is (the dog, not my wife) :

Anyway, as I've said previously, you're free to use what's in the asset (except the music) anyway you want. I'll appreciate a mention if you use the main characters, but I guess I can't force you. I think it'd suck if you just did what that guy did, and changed nothing. It'd suck because that'd mean you're just claiming my work, but mostly because your game would be nothing more than what these demo levels are : tech demo levels. You're better than that.

That being said, I've uploaded an .apk of the lava level (and the start screen for some reason).
    You can get it over there : http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/apk/corgi-engine.apk
    Disclaimer : I've tested it on a few devices (and by "a few" I mean a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5). If it breaks your device, I won't be held responsible or buy you a new one. I didn't encounter any problem and so far the other people who've tested on mobile haven't raised any issue, other than the fact that the controls are not really good. And I agree, they aren't, this is really just for demo purposes, I suggest you implement your own, or get a good mobile controls asset, I'm sure there are plenty around.

Two last things :
    - if any of you have already created something out of the asset, I'd be happy to know (plus that would allow me to answer an enthusiastic "yes" to the people who ask me if anything's been done with it :)
    - if you feel in a nice and happy mood and like the latest version, a good note and review on the Asset Store will make my day!

captnflem likes this.
  44. snake77jt

snake77jt

Do you have and android developers account because there is a guy named reuno corp who also only post the corgi engine's demo levels.

45. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > Well no I don't. Good find. So that guy is just publishing the .apk, and with my name. What the F*** people. What the F***. I'll take care of this. I just wish I could spend that time working on new features instead of dealing with amateurs and thieves.

46. Dcapo8989

Dcapo8989

Just bought your asset today and it is honestly incredible. Everything on here is so useful and has helped tremendously. I was able to get something up and running in the short time that I've had this engine. However, I am having some small issues that I hope you can help me with.

I went ahead and sent you a private message so that my post doesn't take up the whole page!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  47. reuno

reuno

@Dcapo8989 > That is indeed quite a long post. Please send this to the support email, or via MP here, along with your invoice number, and I'll see what I can do :)

48. snowcult

snowcult

Indeed, our Dollar is incredibly weak right now. Oh well.

Cute dog, btw. But I have to say this... cats rule, dogs drool! :p

49. trizero

trizero

export to iphone , but the Buttons and Arrows not work ,player not move, unity3d 5.0.1 f1.

warn:
    Game scripts or other custom code contains OnMouse_ event handlers. Presence of such handlers might impact performance on handheld devices.
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

50. reuno

reuno

@trizero > hello to you too. Must be something on your part, I don't have that error and with that little information there's not much I can do. If you keep having this issue, please send me a message on the support email along with your invoice number and I'll try to help.