Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. halagame

halagame

.... can believe the support is that fast, thank you and your reply definitely answered my question!

Alexflame108 and reuno like this.
  2. reuno

reuno

@halagame > Glad I could help!
    To anyone else who may wonder how to do that, simply listen for MMDamageTakenEvent, it contains all the info needed to do that.

javi_unity402 likes this.
  3. luigi7

luigi7

Done, it has a funny effect :)

ryzeonline and reuno like this.
  4. andrin2020

andrin2020

@zero_equals_zero. I have made it work but you can not use stacked cameras. It is a current limitation of the URP. You have to choose between stacked cameras for the UI or 2D lights.

ryzeonline likes this.
  5. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Thanks for your answer – What version did you use? Could you briefly write down the steps you did?
    I tried two times now and I can not get it to work - The materials are all off - even though I prepare them and make sure the correct one is in the files / assets. My camera remains at 'base'. However the moment i drag in the URP(2d lights enabed) profile in the graphics slot the scene goes blank – I can only see the UI in game - but when I press play there is nothing.

I tried two times with a fully new and blank project – each time the same results
    While it is odd to me that other projects converts in a snap. I am not sure what I do wrong so that a corgi project does not work. Moreover – I have openend a 5 year old 2d project (non corgi) and did the same steps and now have 2d lights.

Not saying the corgi engine has something to do with it – but I found it strange not to be able to convert it,

6. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Holy, @Muppo that looks super well done. I love the lighting and art style.

Kickstarter page and trailer look pretty sweet too, there's a GDC talk by Derek Lieu & Dana Trebella (I believe) that may help with further marketing efforts if you haven't seen it.

Also, I think I found a minor typo: "AAterna Noctis aims to unite the best of", but no biggie.

(P.S. Have you played 'Gris' ?)

7. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

@reuno Hello!

I'm running into a snag with the character gravity ability. When I turn on the gravity zone, my character works as expected. But the AI does not. It flips itself into the tilemap. Any clues as to what I can do to fix this issue? I'd like both character and AI to work the same way.

8. reuno

reuno

@Kellyrayj > Without knowing how you did the setup of either your character or your gravity zone, it's really hard to tell what's wrong here.

Just dropped a RetroBlob in the RetroClouds demo scene (the only change I made was remove the spiked that usually sit at the bottom of that gravity zone), it works as expected.
    If you put the dude outside of the zone initially it will even get into it and get sucked to the ceiling, as you'd expect.

upload_2020-4-1_15-20-43.png

If the issue persists, please provide more details about what exactly you're doing via the support form, thanks.

9. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks for a quick reply. I figured out the flip issue the moment I posted it. The blob prefab is the one from the first demo. The pivot of the AI is at the bottom of the sprite, while the pivot of the player was in the center. I've moved both sprite and box collider down a unit and that fixed the issue.

However, I'm now running into a problem with the avoid falling. When we are upside down, the blob shakes back and forth. while being right side up, it moves as expected.

10. reuno

reuno

@Kellyrayj > I'd recommend trying what I just showed you, it'll likely work, that's the recommended setup.
    If the issue persists, again, use the support form and provide more info :)

11. Muppo

Muppo

Thanks @ryzeonline !
    All the commercial topic is out of my scope but I'll pass that info to the person in charge. Thanks again.
    Also typo fixed. They should have let me check the text before publishing, I smell this errors.

Of course, we on the team have played GRIS. I love the aesthetics, enviroments and music, it's a piece of art. Unfortunatelly I didn't enjoy that much the gameplay, I feel it lacks of challenge.

ryzeonline likes this.
  12. adler_tj

adler_tj

Hi @reuno
    I would like to know what player / project settings do you use, recentlly i started using the corgi engine to develop a mobile game, when i tried to build it it was very laggy, literally unplayable, since it is a pretty simple project it shouldn't be happening, to test if the problem was with my project, i builded the demo scene that the asset disponibilize, and it also was laggy (when i downloaded the demo scene directly from the play store it wasn't lagging at all). Just to make sure it wasn't my phone, an Asus Zenfone 5, i also put my friend to test it and it was also laggy, so any ideas about this? Maybe my project settings are messing up with everything, and i'd like to know what you have used before.

13. reuno

reuno

@adler_tj > Probably nothing to do with your project settings. Performance in Unity (and in the case of the demos in particular) is bound to what you display. On low end phones like that especially, you'll want to keep your texture size low, drawcall count very low, etc. All the usual optimization good practices apply.
    To make sure it's not the engine that is limiting your performance (it isn't, guaranteed, the engine itself is super low footprint), simply use Unity's profiler.

ryzeonline likes this.
  14. adler_tj

adler_tj

@reuno Well, thanks, i will sure try looking for some more tips on optimization, i only thinked it was weird because on that lava level, i got 60 fps when downloaded directly from playstore, and got 10 fps when builded unchanged directly from the project folder

15. reuno

reuno

@reuno > There is absolutely zero difference between what you get from the play store and what's in the asset.
    Building for Android is the last thing I do before pushing to the asset store, you get the exact same thing, same project settings and all.

16. Ma_Pi

Ma_Pi

Thank you for your reply.
    I finally had the time to try your suggestion, it works!
    but now i have a problem with the cinemachine camera controller script.

if "follows a player" is checked, the virtual camera ignores the room's 3d confiner bounds.

If i remove the cinemachine camera Controller component and manually set the player character gameobject in the follow field on the cinemachine virual camera, the 3d bounds works.

is there a way to fix this without making my own custom version of Cinemachine Camera Controller?

17. reuno

reuno

@Ma_Pi > Well if you want a new behaviour for the camera controller, then yes, you'll have to modify it. Right now that class doesn't know about the changes you made, it works with 2D confiners, not 3D. You'll have to extend it to let it know you've changed stuff.

18. FalcoesFlamejantes

FalcoesFlamejantes

Hi, how can I set an animation to an object on player collision? Like I want my trampoline's animation to trigger when the player jumps on it. I used the animation feedback but its still not working, do I have to add any trigger function to the animator?
    upload_2020-4-3_0-57-37.png upload_2020-4-3_0-58-11.png

19. reuno

reuno

@FalcoesFlamejantes > You can use an MMFeedback for that, or you can simply do it like you would in any Unity project, that's really not something specific to the engine, just native Unity (create a class, detect collision, play animation, or update animator).

FalcoesFlamejantes likes this.
  20. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

All good, Muppo. Looks like you have a pretty good team, regardless :)

I agree, it truly is art, and also agree, the gameplay seemed to be lacking "something" :)

21. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

Hello, @reuno

Tried to use search but couldn't find my issue.

The problem is that when I press "Play" in Unity my character spawns as usual on LevelStart point, but when i make a build and launch it on my mac, when I start the same level my character spawns on checkpoint instead of LevelStart. What can be the problem? Can you advise me on what should i check?

Btw in some levels there is no such problem, but 3 out of 9 levels for some reason spawn my character on one of the checkpoints instead of LevelStart.

PS Solved!

I dont know why, but for some reason LevelManager did no load LevelStart by default, even though it was selected in the Debug Spawn option.

So I just had to change Checkpoint Attribution direction and Axis, so it would choose LevelStart point at the start of the level.

Have you faced such problem before?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  22. reuno

reuno

@Alexflame108 > No, I've never seen that before, I'd need more info to be able to reproduce it.
    But just to clarify, the debug spawn will only be used in editor, it's a debug tool, it'll be ignored once in the build.
    If that's what happened, that's absolutely by design.

23. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

Oh hello there, using "points of entry" between levels, How is the best way to have persistent Player health between scenes ?

24. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > Using the SaveLoadManager would be the easiest way, but you can also implement your own save and load mechanisms.

25. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

Thank you very much. I will look into it.

26. FalcoesFlamejantes

FalcoesFlamejantes

hi, Im not sure if I missed it but, does the trampoline have horizontal force? I can only jump up in the vertical axis

27. reuno

reuno

@FalcoesFlamejantes > I suppose you're talking about the Jumper class?
    If yes, as explained in its inspector, or in the documentation, it does simply apply a vertical force, but you can easily extend it to add a horizontal force as well if you want.

28. FalcoesFlamejantes

FalcoesFlamejantes

Thank you for your reply, I'm not a programmer but I'll try to figure something out. Love your asset

29. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

@reuno,

Maybe it's a stupid question, but... why there is no search function on documentation page? Like why can't we search for keywords in all of the documentation? Cuz sometimes it's hard to understand where some features might be.

30. reuno

reuno

Alexflame108 likes this.
  31. FalcoesFlamejantes

FalcoesFlamejantes

@reuno
    HI, sorry for the number of messages but I'm really hyped with this asset and I've had a lot of time during the quarantine to try it out and with that is coming a lot of questions. So first of all I wanted the jumper function to work horizontally as well so I changed the Vertical to Horizontal as it sees in the image, however it only works on one side, left to right not in the opposite way plus only when I jump. What can I do to make it add force on both sides left to right and right to left and make it work While my player is jumping or not? Not sure if you are supposed to help with this kind of questions
    upload_2020-4-5_21-51-8.png ~
    Besides is the a way to make a Coyote time. You can still jump for a short time after leaving a ledge. like celeste?

Attached Files:

32. reuno

reuno

@FalcoesFlamejantes > Please use the support form for support questions, thank you.
    And maybe check the documentation first. You'd see there that :
    - you can look at the SurfaceModifier class maybe for your first item, it looks like you're trying to recreate it.
    - coyote time's already in, it's called JumpTimeWindow, on CharacterJump

33. FalcoesFlamejantes

FalcoesFlamejantes

Tnks and sorry for posting support questions here

reuno likes this.
  34. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

How can i put a animation on Damage receive but using a separate animation and feedbacks? I tried using feedbacks and animation object and trigger but not work. The animations not show. I want to put this animation apear in exactly damage point recevid.

35. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > As explained in the documentation, there's a trigger animation parameter for that : Damage. As its name implies, it gets triggered when your character takes damage.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  36. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Hello. Yes I made this a hit animation and put the trigger "Damage" anystate to hit animation and trigger Damage feedbacks animation. But nothing happens.

37. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > That's definitely not normal. I'd need more info to be able to help. Don't hesitate to use the support form and describe exactly how I could reproduce your issue, in any of the demo scenes, no changes made. I'll be happy to have a look.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  38. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

Could you add a simple attack like the Crash attack that kills the enemy with one twist and add a forward force to these things?

39. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > I don't know what you mean. What's a Crash attack? What are "twist" and "these things" in that context?

ShakalXKla likes this.
  40. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

oh sorry. Atack like Dixie Kong on donkey kong country series. she spins and kills the enemy.

41. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > I have to admit that's never been requested before. I'll add that to the todo list.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  42. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

I would love to redo the game donkey kong country 2 and 3 on unity. And its asset was the only one I saw that makes the engine just like the super nintendo game. But, I'm an apprentice. I don't know how to create or program the scripts for that. That's why I can only try to use what is available. Thanks.

43. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > Features get added based on amount of requests (mostly). If more people request that, it'll make it into a release eventually.

ShakalXKla likes this.
  44. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

@reuno

Hello,

I have tried to make character cling to moving platform (horizontal), however, when its side sticks to it and it starts to move, character falls down.

Is there a way to make that work properly?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  45. reuno

reuno

@Alexflame108 > Not with the wall cling, but you could use the Grip ability to do so, depending on what exactly you're after.

46. ShakalXKla

ShakalXKla

The enemy Bluerobot does not die by jumping on him but the bloob does. Where do I define if the enemy dies by jumping on him?

47. reuno

reuno

@hemersonkla > If you select the blob enemy you'll it has a Stompable component. As explained in the documentation, and as the name implies, it lets you stomp it. Please use the support form if you have more questions, thanks!

ShakalXKla likes this.
  48. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

Yeah, unfortunately, grip isn't exactly what i need, but it's still useful.

Another question, i tried to modify wind zone, but couldn't do anything with it. Is there any way to create a zone (within box collider), which pushes character to certain direction (like in Celeste)?

49. reuno

reuno

@Alexflame108 > Sure, you can look at the SurfaceModifier for reference.

Alexflame108 likes this.
  50. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

I can't believe I didn't notice that.

I tried treadmill but it only worked on surface because i didn't change its layer! Now it's working. Thanks!

However if you could make retrowind for all 4 directions sometime that would be perfect)