Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. neptoonism

neptoonism

On the topic of 2019.3 and URP compatibility, I think it's simpler than we think. I did a fresh project using the URP template using 2019.3.2f1, imported the latest version of corgi, then installed '2d pixel perfect', 'cinemachine', and 'post processing' via the package manager (and also '2d tilemap editor' since that's needed for editing levels - not required to get the project to build). I just selected the latest version of each.
    I then updated the Universal RP package to 7.2.1 - it supports camera stacking albeit a little differently than it was in the past (each camera has a choice of 'base' or 'overlay' for 'render type'. Documentation about camera stacking for URP 7.2.1 is here - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nes.universal@7.2/manual/camera-stacking.html
    By using the new camera stacking, you don't need to remove the 'camera' or the 'camera flare' elements.
    The camera component of the UICamera prefab should be changed so the 'render type' is 'overlay'. Now you need to drag the 'Regular Camera' into the 'Canvas' 'render camera' inside of the UICamera prefab. This has to be done in each demo scene you intend to build. Edit - actually just go into the 'Regular Camera's 'stack' setting and add the 'UICamera' to it - no need to change the canvas.
    As for upgrading materials, it seems you only need to do that for the 3d demos, which have a special toon shader on them that can't be upgraded to URP. Changing the shader used by every material in demos/corgi3d/materials to the 'speedtree8' one makes it so they render.
    Whatever way you do it, hopefully it's not too much work - just know that corgi engine is capable of using URP just as well as it does with the old render pipeline.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    ryzeonline likes this.
  2. reuno

reuno

@bingbing642 > Yup, camera stacking has been added recently, so that's one less issue with URP.
    The engine itself will work whatever the render pipeline (simply because it doesn't do any rendering). :)

3. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Thank you so much for the extra clarification and instructions, @bingbing642 , greatly appreciated, I finally got URP+Corgi working, so I'm kinda scared to try your new method lol, but next project I build I'll definitely use it. :)

4. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

Am using URP and the only necessary fix to do, is just to change the UI camera of the demo scenes to overlay. Then select just the normal camera and add the ui camera to the stack category. (by the way, some of the particles of the scenes doesen't show right with URP, something about shaders, just to know). This is the only issue i had in URP.

Aaaand i know that this doesen't belong here, but currently am tryin to search some programmer with corgi engine, to extend the code in some of the areas, Ai, animation etc. Here is a link of some footage:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VacuumGame/

It's not about to promote or make spam, it's just that is being hard for me to find someone to work with Corgi. If anyone is interested pm me.
    Thnx.

KrisuGo, KriYorDev and ryzeonline like this.
  5. neptoonism

neptoonism

@marcarasanz You are 100% right, forget what I said about changing the canvas to render on 'RegularCamera' - just change the 'UICamera's render type to 'overlay' and add it to the 'RegularCamera's stack. This is how camera stacking is intended to work on URP 7.2.1 and it's working perfectly.
    @ryzeonline You might want to create a fresh project and give it a try, this technique is way less intrusive than the steps we took before URP 7.2.1 and it's native 'camera stacking' was available.

I modified my earlier posts so they mention this native solution, now it's trivial to import corgi engine into a new URP project.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    KriYorDev and ryzeonline like this.
  6. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

So I noticed a common answer to my CE questions was "See the examples in the demo...", but I found the demos tricky to navigate, so I spent a day itemizing each demo-scene for each useful game-techniques it contained.

Now I have an easy reference sheet of examples in a GoogleDoc for when I want to create something in Corgi.

It's not perfect, and since I'm new to Unity I may have got a few wrong, but I figured I'd share it, in case it helps others: https://smarturl.it/corgiref - Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks so much @marcarasanz & @bingbing642 - I'm thrilled URP 7.2.1 is now natively supporting camera-stacking. I'll give it a shot :)

7. andrin2020

andrin2020

Anyone else having difficulty with the Gizmos not showing up? They used to show up fine now I am on 2019.3.5 with Corgi 6.2.1 and I can not get them to show up reliably. I have checked the Gizmo drop down menu on the editor and it appears to be set up correctly.

Thoughts?

8. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

I'm not sure, but if you're going to use the newest Unity build, it's probably worth experimenting with the newest Corgi Engine as well (6.3) -- perhaps they'll play nicer together? Test in a new proj? Just a thought.

9. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

@ ryzeonline very usefull, thank you mate.Check out the feedbacks and the key operated zone, they are nice tools.
    @
    andrin_man
    Sometimes i have problems too. It's just the gizmos, or are you having problems with the transpose and rotation gizmos too? Try to check z position of gameobjects if you are working on 2d ortographic, that might help.

ryzeonline likes this.
  10. andrin2020

andrin2020

It is just the gizmos. The tools show up fine. Even the Unity Gizmos (BoxCollider2D...) stopped showing up.

11. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > It's a known Unity bug, sometimes changing your layout helps. Unrelated to the engine I'm afraid.

12. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

I tried what you said, but even after changing the UI camera to 'Overaly' it wouldn't allow me to add it to the 'Regular' Camera's stack: ""the renderer used by this camera doesn't support camera stacking"

I googled solutions and they suggested changing a line in ScriptableRenderer.cs to 'true', so I did that too. No luck. It might be because I'm not on the newest version of Unity... but oh well, I'm sure they'll work all the bugs out of URP eventually, for now, I'm good with your 'old' solution :) Thanks again guys!

13. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

@ ryzeonline I think you may need to specify in the "renderer" option in the cameras select 2d renderer. If you don't have it, and you just have universal pipeline renderer, try to create one. Then you must select the Universal renderer pipeline and in the inspector on top of it, you can add that 2d renderer file in. (do the same in edit/project settings/graphics , select 2d renderer there too). If you don't know how to create it just google it's simple. Anyway, this feature of camera stack it's not available in all 2019.3 versions i think, so try to update to the newest version. Am using 2019.3.2f1 and it's working.

ryzeonline likes this.
  14. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Still, I do have a 2D-Renderer asset created, and added it (through the inspector) to my Universal Pipeline. I did upgrade my project to the latest Unity 2019.3.5f1, so I'll give it another shot and update y'all later :)

15. vorokoi

vorokoi

@ryzeonline @marcarasanz Adding the overlay camera to the stack would be the right approach, except 2D renderer isn't supported in URP 7.2.1

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nes.universal@7.2/manual/camera-stacking.html

ryzeonline likes this.
  16. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

@reuno

Hey!

Thanks a lot for the update, that is just what i needed!

"- Adds a pressure pad system, letting you trigger actions when stepping on something, and an example of that in the RetroPush demo scene. The system also support non-character objects triggering the mechanism."

Can't find it in the scene. Can you help me plz?

I really need this. I also tried to search for prefab, but couldn't find it.

17. reuno

reuno

@Alexflame108 > It's to the right of the start point.
    If you don't see it, you might want to make sure you're running v6.3.
    Reading the first, highlighted item of the FAQ might help.

18. Alexflame108

Alexflame108

Thanks for quick reply.

I was running corgi on 2.2f1, that's why i didn't have it. Thanks again!

Anyway, does anyone else have a problem with exporting a project to IOS with unity 3.3f1 and upper?

19. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Strange issue, would love some ideas...

I created an inventory. It works great so far. At least... it does when I play it in the editor.

When I create a build, I press 'I' and the inventory pops up, and I can navigate/interact with it. And when I press 'I' again, it disappears from the screen, as intended.

But then all keyboard input is ignored/frozen. I can't move my character, or press Esc to bring up the pause screen. The only thing I can do is press 'I' to make the inventory appear.

I tried toggling 'Input Only When Open', but the problem still occurs in all my builds.

The inventories work fine in the demos, so it's something I did for sure, but I'm not sure where to look and would rather not rebuild the inventory from scratch -- anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

20. reuno

reuno

@ryzeonline > Please use the support form and provide repro steps if you need help with an issue, thanks.
    This could be due to way too many things.
    If you don't want to do so, I'd suggest using debug tools to track your input chain to see where it blocks.

ryzeonline likes this.
  21. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Thanks @reuno : ) I didn't want to bother you with another support request so I figured I'd mention it to users of the forum and see if they had any pointers first. :)

Reactorcore likes this.
  22. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Regarding using URP with Corgi engine, I had a couple of questions. First is in regards to particles. In a number of the demos, particles aren't rendering properly. Switching to the URP/Particles Unlit shader doesn't seem to work properly. Which shader should I be using?

Second, I was wondering if the MMFeedbacks system works with the Volumes that URP uses for boost processing. I can't quite figure how to make that transition from PPSv2 to the URP system.

Thanks!

23. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > There are new feedbacks to support Volumes, they're included in v6.3 of the engine. They're not in the demos, of course. They'll be the day URP becomes production ready.

24. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Thanks! I didn't realize the URP wasn't yet production ready. Will this update include materials for the URP as well?

25. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > Officially it is. In my opinion it's not. I'll add support for it if and when it becomes better. Right now it's impossible to manage and maintain.

ryzeonline likes this.
  26. pabikog

pabikog

I have this error when updating corgi engine :(

Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMTween/MMTweenType.cs(17,28): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MMTween' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

pls help

27. pabikog

pabikog

@reuno pls help me :(

UPDATING.... 6.2 to 6.3

Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMTween/MMTweenType.cs(17,28): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MMTween' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMTools/Tools/MMTween/MMTweenType.cs(14,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MMTween' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

28. pabikog

pabikog

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.06.37 PM.png

29. reuno

reuno

@pabikog > As mentioned on the very first page of the documentation, you'll want to remove the old version of the engine before updating to a new one, just like when updating any library. Next time please use the support form, thanks.

30. Quinn221

Quinn221

Hey everyone, with the lock down in place whats everyone creating with the corgi? Also for those who don't know, Unity Premium is free for the next 3 months. Great time to lean more about coding and use this skills to extend the corgi! Even spending a few hours a week learning C# will make a big difference for those who are serious about creating a game.

ryzeonline likes this.
  31. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Hey @Quinn221 , nice to meet you, and what a nice message! You're the first person who's asked me what I'm creating with Corgi, and I really appreciate it.

I'm insanely new to Unity, coding, and Corgi, but I'm currently creating a tutorial level.
    My ultimate vision is a very unique and special platformer, and I'm using Corgi to prototype / proof of concept it before I bring 'real' devs on board.

I've tried to learn Unity/C# (bought a huge textbook, bought a skillshare course, bought a Udemy course, bought Corgi)... but *most* of the resources seem to be outdated or leave out important steps for a beginner like me.

It's ok though, I'm making progress, and am thrilled my tutorial level is already a playable, fun experience. Check it out here:

What are YOU creating with Corgi?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Quinn221 likes this.
  32. Quinn221

Quinn221

Looking good!

ryzeonline likes this.
  33. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Hi, Hope ya'll are safe out there.

Did anyone managed to get Corgi to work with the 2D lights render pipeline.

i followed the tutorial(
    ) to enable the Universal pipeline renderer and I clearly see the lights working in the editor.

Switching to the game view I see nothing. My camera is set to overlay as most blog posts suggest.
    The moment i remove the UniversalRenderPipelineAsset out of the graphics tab, I can see the game view again.

Everything is up to date
    Unity 2019.3.6f1
    URP 7.3.1 or 7.1.8 gives no difference

Is there a tutorial or step by step guide to make it work? I must be overlooking something? Thanks for your help

34. Bagazi

Bagazi

How to make enemy character as an obstacle? I mean hero character cannot passby character just by walking or running. I tried to set the enemy character' layer as Platform ,but that will bring new problem that hero character can jump on the head of enemy character..

35. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > That's not a feature of the engine right now, you'd have to implement it.

Bagazi likes this.
  36. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

You might be able to fake it by making it a pushable object and setting the push speed to 0

Bagazi likes this.
  37. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v6.3 : throw objects, pressure pads]

Those are my steps to get it working, but @reuno 's opinion is that URP isn't ready for use, and after using it for a few weeks, I agree. URP doesn't support 2D-Camera-Stacking, which is a major issue, so I stopped using URP.

reuno likes this.
  38. malenko_unity

malenko_unity

Bought the Corgie Engine on 3/17 to make my own Metroidvania type game for myself. Downloaded unity, imported the corgie engine and..........

There's no Retrovania Demo. Did I somehow screw up importing Corgi? Everything is a fresh install.

Attached Files:

39. reuno

reuno

40. malenko_unity

malenko_unity

Well, I guess I am too dumb to import it :(

That was the issue! Unity installed some 2018 flavor by default for some reason. I have the 2019.3.6f1 now and it looks like every thing is there. Sorry for the dumb question, but thank you for the speedy reply!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    reuno likes this.
  41. HeavyMetalBakesale

HeavyMetalBakesale

Hi @reuno ! Thank you for making this awesome engine!

I'm running into an issue and I was hoping you could help. I am setting my animations and opted to go for the method illustrated in the diagram on your website where everything is tied to "any state".

My issue is that I am unable to get the Jump animation to play when jumping while walking. The player does still jump but the walk animation continues to play. Upon checking the parameters while playing, I am noticing that jumping while walking is causing the Jumping bool to register as false in the animator whereas it registers as true when jumping from idle as intended.

Latest version of Corgi Engine (downloaded today)
    Unity 2019.3.6f1

Please let me know if you need any additional info. I am very new at this so I won't take anything personally haha.

42. reuno

reuno

@HeavyMetalBakesale > Don't use the any state pattern for this. Use a more standard pattern, as explained in the documentation. It'll give you more control to do what you're after.

HeavyMetalBakesale likes this.
  43. HeavyMetalBakesale

HeavyMetalBakesale

44. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno Hello, talking about the DialogueZone: I need one way dialogue, but changing the baloon target to simulate a chat between 2 gameobjects.
    Maybe you are implementing it anytime soon or should I extend DialogueZone?

45. reuno

reuno

@luigi7 > That's not something I plan to implement anytime soon, I'd recommend extending.

46. Muppo

Muppo

47. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > It's very impressive, thanks for sharing this!

Muppo and javi_unity402 like this.
  48. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Muppo likes this.
  49. halagame

halagame

My goal is to trigger an animation for the player when it kills a specific enemy
    I'm limited with coding, my first thought is to make a new class to extend the Health class, then override the Damage() or Kill() method
    But it doesn't work because the Damage() function is called elsewhere and the override Damage() function will never be accessed, can anyone give me some brief ideas or logic that how to implement? thank you

50. reuno

reuno

@halagame > I already answered you via email, 3 minutes after you asked it.
    No need to post your question everywhere :)