Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > Not without modifying the scripts, no. But if you extend the CharacterHandleWeapon class and just override input detection it's quite easy to implement. You can look at the very simple CharacterHandleSecondaryWeapon.cs class to see an isolated example of exactly this (with just one key input instead of two).
    I suppose input dedicated assets like Rewired have a built in option for that.

2. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

I managed to do it exactly like what you mentioned, a dedicated Key for the uppercut melee attack instead of the UP + E key. Will look at what "Rewired" is.

Will look at how the ChracterHangleSecondaryWeapon,CS works.

3. xpachin

xpachin

xd:p:D

4. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Another Question, I set up and enemy to throw a grenade-like projectile, that is working ok. The problem is I cannot find the place to change the layer, or option for the explosion, to affect the player like I do with other types of weapons.

Thanks!

5. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > That's setup on the grenade's damage area itself.
    If you have more questions please use the support form, thanks!

6. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

will do thanks!

7. reuno

reuno

8. KOPEW

KOPEW

@reuno Yo! Is there any info abou next update? Approximate date at least, or any "killer-feature"?)
    I can't wait, my body is totally dry, it needs a new doze of Corgi)) I'm kidding, never rush, you're making a complex sandbox with infinite possibilities to create Dreams (c) of each of us! Thank you)
    And I think that here will be always a tons of messages witch needs to be sended at support, but you know, forum it's such a thing, where you will run with your question at first... It's like "internet-human nature") Or because it's more easy way, default. So don't be angry, please) Your mental helath is more important than somebody tech problem!
    Keep rokin'!

9. reuno

reuno

10. Ma_Pi

Ma_Pi

Hello reuno, first of all : thank you for this great asset. Loving it!
    Quick question - i tried to use the rooms system, but my game uses perspective cameras so the 2d confiners don't work.
    Is it possible to use the room system with perspective cameras? can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance!

11. reuno

reuno

@Ma_Pi > Yes, it's possible. All you'd have to do is unplug the current Collider2D on your Room(s), and uncheck ResizeConfinerAutomatically, like so :
    upload_2020-3-3_21-43-35.png

Then on your Room's virtual camera, instead of having it setup for 2D, like in the example :
    upload_2020-3-3_21-44-15.png

You'd select Confine3D as the mode, and link your BoundingVolume there (that field would appear in place of BoundingShape2D).

12. reuno

reuno

13. bambamyi

bambamyi

This is the error I get when I run any demo project... I installed it correctly and packages are installed correctly... any idea please?

upload_2020-3-4_16-5-29.png

14. reuno

reuno

@bambamyi > That's never been reported, and I can't think of anything that could cause this.
    I find it weird you'd get these errors in any demo as they seem very situational.
    Please use the support form and provide more info (Unity version, asset version, exact steps you took to install, etc), I'll try to solve this for you.

15. bambamyi

bambamyi

Thank you for quick reply. I am using 2019.3.3f1... could this be causing issues?

16. reuno

reuno

@bambamyi > No, the engine runs just fine on 2019.3.3f1 :
    upload_2020-3-4_19-50-16.png

17. bambamyi

bambamyi

So I can confirm that on 2019.2.2f1... everything is fine...

Now the question is... when will you support 2019.3.x?

Thanks!

18. bambamyi

bambamyi

19. reuno

reuno

@bambamyi > As shown in my screenshot above, that's already the case.
    As explained in the documentation, all you have to do when running 2019.3 is update one package, that's all.

20. bambamyi

bambamyi

ok I got it work on 2019.3.3f1! I just imported it incorrectly. Thank you very much!!

21. reuno

reuno

@bambamyi > I'm glad it's working now, thanks for letting me know!

22. NEHWind2

NEHWind2

Hey everybody!

I wanted to stop in and say that my second Corgi Engine powered game is complete and I wanted to share it with you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1248520/Entertainment_Hero_2/

It's a sequel to our first game but it's much, much improved over its predecessor! It wouldn't have been possible without Reuno's hard work and very patient help over these last few years. Thanks so much, Reuno!

If anyone would like a download key let me know and I'll get one to you!

Boopity, Grafos and javi_unity402 like this.
  23. reuno

reuno

@NEHWind2 > That's great, thanks for sharing this!

NEHWind2 likes this.
  24. Zaden1

Zaden1

Thanks for this I am in that exact position. I am converting my current project to use this engine but i really was looking forward to the URP and had the same issue. I gonna try and implement your workaround.

ryzeonline likes this.
  25. Boopity

Boopity

Hey all!

I'm having a strange issue with the virtual cameras in a Room-based scene. Camera shake doesn't work as long as multiple virtual camera objects are enabled. The solution is to either disable the virtual cameras which obviously isn't practical, or to duplicate the virtual camera objects and assign those duplicates to their rooms, tho that only works until I reload the scene.

I'm confused because the camera, level, and room settings are all identical to those in the RetroVania scene. I built the scene by following the room tutorial exactly - perhaps there was one setting mixed in there somewhere that's causing a conflict, but I'm not seeing it. Unity version is 2019.2.9

Was just curious if anyone had similar issues, cause I'm stumped.

26. reuno

reuno

@Boopity > Do you have impulse listeners on all your virtual cameras?

27. Boopity

Boopity

@reuno - I do, all set to default channel mask with 1 gain.

28. reuno

reuno

@Boopity > Does the shake work in the demo scene or do you have the issue there as well?
    Have you tried comparing your cameras with the ones in the scene?
    If the issue persists I'll need more info to be able to pinpoint it, please use the support form if you can't find any difference.

29. Boopity

Boopity

Yep, works fine in the demo scene and both the virtual cameras and the main camera are identical from what I can tell.
    I'll dig around just a bit more and then take this to the support form :)

reuno likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just pushed v6.3 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store.
    It brings with it pressure pads, the ability to grab, carry and throw objects (on pressure pads, but not only), as well as improvements across the board, the latest (and massive) MMFeedbacks update, and fixes for all known bugs to date.
    I hope you'll like this new update as much as I do!

Here are the full release notes, as usual, expect a few days of validation before the update hits the store :

- Adds a pressure pad system, letting you trigger actions when stepping on something, and an example of that in the RetroPush demo scene. The system also support non-character objects triggering the mechanism.
    - Adds the DoubleSpriteMask, an additional way to handle masking between Rooms, that uses two MMSpriteMasks and alternates between them for seamless transitions.
    - Adds the CharacterGrabCarryAndThrow ability, that lets your Characters grab any GrabCarryAndThrowObject, from any specified direction, carry it around with different modes (parent, follow), and throw it with optional recoil. Adds two examples of such objects in the RetroPush demo scene. You can of course combine this with other abilities or features, to open pressure pad controlled doors for example. The ability comes complete with animation parameters and MMFeedbacks slots
    - Adds an example of a mobile inventory button in the Retro demo scenes (click on the weapon slot in the top right of the screen to open the inventory)
    - Adds a CurrentRoom boolean to Rooms
    - Adds air control settings and an option to prevent flip while in the air
    - Adds update modes options (process on update, late update, fixed update) to ParallaxElement
    - Adds support for multiple controllers to Surface Modifiers
    - Adds an option to CharacterHandleWeapon to force a scale reset on weapons when equipped (true by default)
    - Adds finer trigger options to moving platforms
    - Adds an example of a character that starts in the scene, grounded, in RetroPush
    - MMSpriteMasks can now operate on unscaled or scaled time, and now have a scale multiplier setting
    - Adds enter and exit feedbacks slots to all ButtonActivated classes
    - Adds a new phase to the Teleporter sequence, BetweenFades, where the character teleport now happens. This may have an impact on your teleporter transitions, especially if you were using tweens and not instant teleport, and may require adjusting the sequence delays.
    - Adds support for gravity inversion to AIActionPatrol and AIWalk
    - Adds latest version of MMTools and MMFeedbacks
    - Adds an option to Rooms to automatically enable on entry / disable on exit a list of associated game objects
    - Rooms now require a Collider2D
    - Adds a safe frame to the pause button
    - Adds individual cooldowns for x and y force applications of SurfaceModifiers, for complete control over how frequently forces get applied and increased consistency
    - Adds assembly definitions covering all engine scripts and all libraries included in the asset
    - Adds AddComponentMenu entries for all classes that were missing one
    - Fixes a typo in the PickableAction class' menu attribute
    - Fixes a bug that would cause walk speed to not be reset properly when jumping from a crouch state with crawl disabled
    - Fixes a button prompt bug that could result in fades not running properly
    - Fixes a bug that would let a character with crawl prevented to move from a crouch state by releasing the run button
    - Prevents the Welcome Window from losing its banner when its script is moved to another folder
    - Fixes a bug that would cause the Room's "resize confiner automatically" to not work correctly when unchecked
    - Clears obsolete component warnings on a few cameras
    - Fixes a few minor weapon bugs
    - Removes useless dependencies from the PackageManager manifest
    - Adds a missing null check in CharacterJump's EvaluateJumpConditions method
    - Fixes a bug that would cause rooms cameras to not initialize properly when arriving via a point of entry
    - Removes a deprecated component in the LoadingScene
    - Fixes a bug that would cause CharacterFollowPath to keep trying to follow its path on death
    - Fixes outdated APIs in the character abilities documentation
    - Enables the Rectangle prefab's crouch ability, which was mistakenly disabled by default with the last update.
    - Fixes a bug that could cause erroneous ground detection in Pushable blocks
    - Fixes a bug that could cause a character to end up stuck in the wrong state after jumping into a Teleporter
    - Fixes a bug that could cause button activated zones to not exit properly under a certain option combination

And the included MMFeedbacks release notes :

- Adds a brand new demo, featuring (almost) each individual feedback of the asset, in isolation, as well as in a few combinations. That demo is also available directly on MMFeedback's website.
    - Adds the Pause feedback, that lets you pause a MMFeedback's feedback stack to delay the start of the next feedbacks in the sequence
    - Adds the Holding Pause feedback, that will wait until all the feedbacks above it have finished before starting a pause and then proceeding to the next ones
    - Adds the Loop feedback, that lets you replay all feedbacks that preceed it from the start, a loop start point or the last pause
    - Adds the Loop Start feedback, that lets you determine a point of origin for your loops (and add an optional pause to it as well)
    - Adds post processing volume auto blender feedback, letting you pilot a blender that will control the weight of a PP volume over time
    - Adds auto blender and auto blender feedback for URP
    - Adds URP bloom feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP chromatic aberration feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP color adjustments feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP depth of field feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP lens distortion feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP motion blur feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP panini projection feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP vignette feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP white balance feedback and shaker
    - Adds URP global volume auto blend feedback and shaker
    - Adds the AudioSourceVolume feedback and shaker, to control an AS's volume over time
    - Adds the AudioSourcePitch feedback and shaker, to control an AS's pitch over time
    - Adds the AudioSourceStereoPan feedback and shaker, to control an AS's stereo pan over time
    - Adds audio filter distortion feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter high pass feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter low pass feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter echo feedback and shaker
    - Adds audio filter reverb feedback and shaker
    - Adds Camera Field of View shaker and feedback, letting you control a camera's FoV over time on demand
    - Adds camera orthographic size shaker and feedback
    - Adds camera clipping planes shaker and feedback
    - Adds clipping planes, field of view and orthographic size shakers for Cinemachine
    - Adds Cinemachine Transition feedback, letting you transition from one virtual camera to another on demand
    - Adds "copy all" function on MMFeedbacks, to copy all feedbacks at once and paste them in another MMFeedbacks
    - Adds AutoPlayOnStart option to MMFeedbacks
    - Adds specific controller targeting to MMFeedbackHaptics
    - Adds remap to position, rotation and scale feedbacks
    - Adds better post processing volume autoblender
    - Adds better sequencer editor panel
    - Adds remap options to the ShaderController
    - Adds support for RawImage to the ShaderController
    - Adds a better conditional inspector to the ShaderController
    - The ShaderController can now be safely enabled/disabled
    - The ShaderController now has a global setting to revert to initial value on end (after a one time, when it gets disabled, etc)
    - MMFeedbackFlicker can now target shader properties by name
    - Adds additive mode to the Scale feedback
    - Adds ToDestination mode to the Scale feedback
    - MMFeedbacks inspector now shows a progress bar when playing a feedback
    - Adds ToDestination mode to the Position feedback, letting you move the target to an additional offset on every play, additive or not (instead of animating values along a curve or from A to B)
    - Adds the ToDestination mode to the Rotation feedback, letting you rotate to a specific rotation in either world or local spaces
    - Changes the way the Rotation feedback works, increasing its reliability and fixing issues on weird edge cases. AnimateX now rotates on the X axis, AnimateY on the Y axis, and AnimateZ on the Z axis
    - Adds remap, enable/disable support, ToDestination to the FloatController
    - Adds more position options to InstantiateObject and ParticlesInstantiation feedbacks
    - Adds ResetTrigger option to the Animation feedback.
    - On the Bloom shaker, default threshold amplitude is now 0
    - Adds a OnStateChange delegate to MMStateMachine to listen to state change events locally
    - MMFeedbacks now forces a reset of all feedbacks on PlayFeedbacks()
    - Improves null string comparisons.
    - MMFeedbacks' debug view is now available outside of play mode as well
    - Adds better inspectors to all PostProcessing feedbacks and shakers, with ranges and cleaner sections
    - The "add new feedback" list is now alphabetically sorted
    - Feedbacks now display their duration and Timing info in the inspector header directly
    - Feedbacks now display a small category based color bar on their left
    - Adds AddComponent menu entries for all feedbacks and tools
    - Removes useless requirement on MMOrbitalCamera
    - Fixes a bug in how Float and Shader controllers would add to the initial value
    - MMBlink now requires a -1 repeat count for infinite repeat (instead of 0, which now simply plays once)
    - Fade events now require that you specify a MMTweenType
    - Reorders feedbacks in a few categories, and adds the Renderer and Transform categories

31. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Thank you! Corgi Engine deserves top position in Asset Store.

ryzeonline and reuno like this.
  32. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Did you have success? I followed @bingbing642 's instructions carefully, but the Corgi UI still won't show in my URP project. (I'm using the latest CorgiEngine 6.3 and the latest stable Unity in case that matters.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: I figured it out!

These are basically a repeat of @bingbing642 's steps from page 125 of this thread, but for clarity, this is exactly what I did to get Corgi Engine's UI working well with Unity's Universal Render Pipeline:

STEP 1 - INSTALL PACKAGES
    In Unity 2019.3.3f1...
    -Corgi Engine 6.3
    -Post Processing 2.3.0
    -Cinemachine 2.5.0
    -2D Pixel Perfect 2.0.4
    -Universal RP 7.2.1

STEP 2. INSTALL URP
    -I followed the official Unity tutorial for 'Upgrading An Existing Project to Universal Render Pipeline.'
    (Note: It kind of worked, but I also had to follow a 2D URP Upgrade Tutorial from Sykoo on youtube.)

STEP 3 - FIX PREFABS
    I tweaked each 'camera' pre-fab. (ie: the Blue 'MinimalCameraRig', 'MainCamera', 'UICamera', etc.)...
    3A. MinimalCameraRig:
    -I made sure to OPEN the pre-fab.
    -I completely REMOVED the 'Flare Layer' component.
    -I exited the pre-fab.

3B. UICamera
    -I made sure to OPEN the pre-fab.
    -I completely REMOVED the 'Flare Layer' component.
    -THEN I completely REMOVED the 'Camera' component.
    -While still inside the UICamera pre-fab, I selected the 'Canvas' GameObject and then expanded the 'Canvas' component to see it's options.
    -There, I changed 'Render Camera' to 'Regular Camera' (or to 'None' for some scenes)

STEP 4 - TOGGLE
    My scene editor camera/objects *disappeared* when I did this. To get it back I:
    -Clicked the Toggle SkyBox, Fog, & Lighting Effects button icon-dropdown, and toggled 'Post Processing' off.

Then, for some reason my particles were still showing up as pink squares, so I had to:

STEP 5 - UPGRADE PROJECT MATERIALS TO URP MATERIALS
    -I backed up my whole project, in case the material-upgrade goes wrong...
    -Then I went to the 'Edit' menu on the top menu-bar, then 'Render Pipeline', then 'Universal Render Pipeline' then, 'Upgrade Project Materials To UniversalRP Materials'

TA-DA! Corgi Engine, with working UI-Overlay and upgraded materials... now working great in Unity.

Thanks so much to all the info in this thread and the Unity / YouTube Community who help explain things well.

Hope this helps someone :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  33. reuno

reuno

ryzeonline likes this.
  34. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Obviously Corgi Engine supports saving player data, but does it incorporate any system for saving data to thee cloud (for iOS titles for example)? If not, is there a recommended asset that is easy to integrate to do such things?

35. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > No, there's no such thing right now (I try to avoid implementing things that are too platform specific in the engine).
    I don't know of any asset that does that, I usually run my own solution when I have to. I suppose there are some good dedicated assets on the store you could use, but I can't give you a name :) I've heard good things about Easy Save but never tried it myself, and I don't know if it's got that specific feature.

36. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

My first Corgi Engine project is going well, but when my Character goes through a teleport gate from the demo level, the Cinemachine (mode: 'teleport camera') overshoots & seems to lose track of my character-- leaving him off-screen once the teleport is done.

I've adjusted Soft Zone, Dead Zone, Bias, Character-Speed, Teleport Delay, Confiner and as many components as I could think of with no luck.

Anyway, I'll keep at it, and P.S. I really LOVE the Corgi Engine, I never thought I could make a game, but my first day's progress is so great!

37. xiahvc_unity

xiahvc_unity

upload_2020-3-11_22-25-40.png
    upload_2020-3-11_22-26-23.png

After updating to a new version
    The following error occurred.
    Looking closely, I noticed that the assembly definition has changed.
    In this case, if i try to extend an existing script, it will not be recognized externally.
    upload_2020-3-11_22-27-58.png
    I found a lot of asdmdefs in the corgi folder. (This is known as splitting parts to speed up compilation.)
    How can I extend Corgi Engine's script in the future?

38. Muppo

Muppo

Something similar happens to me and others, Cinemachine somehow is not working properly with teleporters. It's being reported several times if I'm not wrong.

ryzeonline likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@ryzeonline > Please use the support form to report issues, and provide more info (Unity version, asset version, exact repro steps, etc), I'll be happy to have a look.
    @xiahvc_unity > It's hard to tell what you problem may be without knowing your exact context. But if you put your classes outside of the engine's assembly definitions, nothing changed. I wouldn't recommend editing the engine (or any library) or putting your classes within these assemblies, it's best to do things outside of them. This is not specific to the engine by the way, it's good practice in general :) If you keep having issues with this though, don't hesitate to contact me via the support form.

ryzeonline likes this.
  40. xiahvc_unity

xiahvc_unity

@reuno
    upload_2020-3-12_0-40-30.png
    I'm a bit slow to understand. (I don't know programming well)
    Can you explain it again?
    I will explain my situation.
    In previous versions of the update, I was using a Game Manager M script that extends the Game Manager script in the override folder.
    (The error didn't exist)
    After updating to version 6.3,
    My Game Manager M script no longer recognizes the GameManager script and can no longer be inherited.

In newly added assembly, to make my scripts work
    What should i do ??
    Which folder should I move my Game ManagerM Script to?

https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.4/Documentation/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html
    I have read this document but I have not understood it.
    Does this mean I have to move my script into the Corgi Engine folder?
    if so. Is there a way to write a script that extends the Cogi Engine script outside of the Cogi Engine folder and save the file externally in the Cogi Engine folder?

41. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Thanks so much @reuno , support form sent! (Sincere apologies, I failed to provide my invoice number, but am happy to do so if needed.) :D <3

42. reuno

reuno

@xiahvc_unity > Sure, I can explain more.
    Basically the "correct" (or encouraged) way of doing things is as follows :
    In your project, make a ThirdParty folder, import the Corgi Engine in it.
    Don't modify its classes directly (you may lose your changes when the next update comes), but instead extend these classes.
    Put these classes outside of the Corgi Engine folder, usually in a "Game" folder.

So your whole folder looks like this :
    Assets
    - Game
    - - your classes go here
    - ThirdParty
    - - CorgiEngine

And then it's business as usual and you can create a class like this for example :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using MoreMountains.CorgiEngine;
    6. public class MyTestClass : Character
    7. {
    8.     public override void Freeze()
    9.     {
    10.         base.Freeze();
    11.         // DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT
    12.     }
    13. }
    @ryzeonline > Thanks for the detailed explanations, it's perfect. I'll let you know as soon as I have a fix for this.

ryzeonline likes this.
  43. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Happened to me also.

What I did to fix it.

Saved my game folder. Then, new 2D project from Unity Hub. Then import corgi engine from Asset Store. Finally, restore game folder.

I still got some errors on custom scripts, but nothing very tricky.

reuno likes this.
  44. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

I'm creating a tutorial-level for my first game.

I created a pickable item that I'd like to 'unlock' Double-Jumping for the player upon pickup.

So I attached a script that does this on Awake:
    void Awake()
    { Player1.JumpBehaviour.NumberOfJumps=2; }

But Unity-console gives me this error: "The name 'Player' does not exist in the current context."

I googled for a while... but I'm really new to coding / unity / corgi-engine and I'd love any help or a point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance all!

45. reuno

reuno

@ryzeonline > Hard to answer exactly without your context (without knowing what Player1 and JumpBehaviour are in your script), but I suppose that Player1 variable doesn't exist?
    In any case, you can find an example of a pickable ability in the engine already, PickableJetpack. It'd be pretty much the same thing for a double jump.

ryzeonline likes this.
  46. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

That's amazing, @reuno , thank you! Yes! Pickable Jetpack worked perfectly, and I adapted it for Dash as well. The only thing is, DoubleJump seems to rely on NumberOfJumps and doesn't use the same boolean 'permit' syntax:

I tried this...

_character.gameObject.MMGetComponentNoAlloc<CharacterJump.NumberOfJumps=2>();

But it said invalid expression, so then I read Unity Documentation & watched a bunch of YT videos on how to use GetComponent properly, and how to change integers on other GameObjects but they weren't super understandable for me.

Anyway, I'm close, and PickableDash works, so thank you! :D <3

47. xiahvc_unity

xiahvc_unity

@reuno
    Thanks for the detailed answer. The underlying error has been solved.
    However, as we play the newly added Retro Push demo scene,
    A new error has occurred.
    upload_2020-3-12_9-30-54.png
    upload_2020-3-12_9-31-11.png
    upload_2020-3-12_9-31-24.png

I want to try out new features.
    Please help me fix the error once more

48. reuno

reuno

@xiahvc_unity > Once again, it'd be much easier, and much faster if you could just use the support form for support questions. I don't know why you'd get these errors, they seem unrelated to the engine, looks more like a serialization issue. Without knowing exacly what you did, what versions you're on, I can't really help. My guess is you did something wrong at install, but it's really a blind guess at this point. Please use the support form and provide more info, I'll be happy to help you.

49. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

Thanks for letting me know, Muppo. @reuno tested it today and couldn't reproduce it, so maybe it's just my PC or my code, idk :) I'll keep exploring and see if I can solve it, if I do, I'll share my solution here for others :)

UPDATE: I recorded a video of me producing this bug in a completely blank Unity project (latest ver., Corgi 6.3) and uploaded it to YouTube if it helps:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  50. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

@reuno I bought Corgi Engine, and realized I need way more c#/unity knowledge, so I bought a book and I've been studying Unity all day... and I know it's probably not impressive to most people on these forums, but I finally figured out GetComponent, and got my PickableDoubleJump.cs to work! So happy!

This was the line that worked for me :)
    _character.gameObject.MMGetComponentNoAlloc<CharacterJump>().NumberOfJumps=2;

And in case it helps anyone else, I made a rough visual diagram of how Unity kind of works:

Wooo!

javi_unity402 likes this.