Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Cubed2Infinity > As I said in the review system, don't hesitate to contact me via the support form if you need help. Putting a bad review on a platformer asset because you don't know how how to create a UI slider may not be the fastest way to get help.

polyconvex and ScourgeGames like this.
  2. Bagazi

Bagazi

Decision that checks two things at once , I can understand it ,but I am confused about " two states ", I already had different states via the example ,

3. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > I meant two states instead of the one you (probably) currently have handling that decision. Just split it into two new ones.

4. McCoonna

McCoonna

You said you were going to add it to the to do list in another post back in December of last year.

I'm asking again, please, ANYONE, can you explain how to get a Unity UI slider to work with the SoundManager script? Pretty please with cherries, sprinkles and whatever else you want on top! Like step by step please, because I am not a good coder lol, I straight up suck at it. My brain just isn't built for abstract computer languages. But I try my hardest! Trust me, on my "things to do" list, hiring an actual coder is at the top of my list as soon as I can afford it!

I'm not understanding how to "change the volume floats directly" from in game, only seeing the ability to adjust the sliders in the editor. Like I stated above, I don't see any handler scripts for a slider, and when I attempt to reference the SoundManager script directly from an On Value Change action in the UI Slider the only option I get is Monoscript > string name. No matter what value / string I enter, nothing happens. Again, you don't have a handler script for sliders like you do for toggles. So how am I supposed to reference the floats in the SoundManager script!? Make my own handler script? Because that's what I've been trying to do and can't seem to... I. am. not. a. coder... although I try my hardest.

Even if I wanted to just go with the On and Off toggles, if I try to copy those from the Corgi Start scene to any of my scenes or make them prefabs they just become completely inoperable. Even if I make the AudioSettings object a prefab the toggles still just sit there all static like. I can prefab the whole popup and the AudioSettings toggles still become static while other buttons work fine. Even when I reattach the toggles at the On Value Change actions they're static. I have the SoundManager script attached to my GameManagers object just like you do and everything. Besides this issue my game compiles and runs without error just fine. So right now I can't get any sound options to work unless I go completely outside of the Corgi engine with a simple little YouTube tutorial script, but then it's not tied into all the Corgi engine stuff. Trying to watch others' tutorials just doesn't work; they're setups and yours are COMPLETELY different so it's been impossible for me to customize your scripts OR make my own that work with yours. And again, I'm not proficient at coding, it's the whole reason why I'm relying on Corgi in the first place. Perhaps a tutorial video on game menus using the Corgi engine would be beneficial because I'm not the only person that has asked about this, and I know I won't be the last. You have 2 scene tutorials but neither go into detail regarding pause / settings menus, and the Managers tutorial doesn't cover it either. None of the preview games you made have a settings menu in them except for the Start Scene, and that only has the audio toggles and doesn't even cover graphics options (which I figured out for the most part on my own).

This is really frustrating. All because I want to give the player the ability to adjust their volume, sheesh.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  5. reuno

reuno

@Cubed2Infinity > As I said, please use the support form and I'll be happy to help.
    But you'll have to understand that you're not the only person asking for features. The todo list is 800+ items long now. I try to push new updates regularly, and features get prioritized based on the amount of requests they get. Yours is extremely specific, didn't get many requests (less than 10 as far as I can tell, compared to the 2000+ of the top item on the list right now), and isn't really specific to platforming, which is what the asset focuses on. I'm happy to help, I pointed you at the exact API you have to use, if that's not enough and you need more guidance, again, please use the support form, like everybody else. But again, shouting at me or putting bad reviews is really not the way to get help.

I can't fix the fact that you don't know how to code something. And I get that it's frustrating. But I can help provide guidance if you want, and will be happy to.

6. Ponpanpin

Ponpanpin

Hello @reuno, first of all thanks for your great work!

I am struggling with the issue of setting up a multiplayer inventory for my level. I tried to set up a simple multiplayer scene and add an inventory to each of my playable characters which worked fine. But is their a solution to create an item which can be picked by all of the players and add to their specific inventory but only once? like "first come first serve" for a item picker? Since you have to set up ONE special inventory to the item picker by default and so the item is not accessible für all players. Hope you can help me...

7. reuno

reuno

@Ponpanpin > There's no example of that right now, and it can't be built out of the box, you'll need to implement a new picker class that looks at who exactly picked the thing and sends it to the correct inventory, instead of the default one specified on the item (or any other implementation of your choice of course). That's already on the todo list, I'll add your vote to it.

Ponpanpin likes this.
  8. FDGSundae

FDGSundae

Thanks for fixing this, @reuno. I appreciate it. :)

reuno likes this.
  9. hassonhamo3

hassonhamo3

@reuno is there anyway i can change camera target during play mode ? example
    i want to make an action and i"d love to focus on it when it happens , so when the player enter 2d collider the action starts and the camera change its target , and when the action ends the camera change the target back again to Player

10. reuno

reuno

@hassonhamo3 > If you're using Cinemachine you can just have multiple virtual cameras and switch priorities between them. If you're not, the CameraController's got a SetTarget method (at least in v6.1, can't remember when I added it but it's recent-ish).

11. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

https://answers.unity.com/questions/882164/create-a-slider-which-refers-to-a-value-in-another.html

I hate to sound like that guy, but I'd recommend starting with some beginning tutorials before trying to create a complete game. You don't need to be a "pro coder" to do it, but you have to understand the basics (like referencing and setting variables).

You might also get a faster response on the Discord channel, but remember that people are working on their own projects and may not have time to show you how to do something.

12. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey Reuno, Awesome work with the constant updates and this is still one of the best value purchases I have ever made. Having used the asset since the early days and not being much of a programmer it is now at a point where I barely have to do any coding at all. I still do not regret any time spent problem-solving my own desired functionality, but hey, this is game development so understanding Unity a bit first and getting into some basic coding is essential unless you are able to connect with either an experienced artist or game programmer. Keep up the great work!

13. reuno

reuno

14. SupremeSmash

SupremeSmash

This asset is AWESOME - having so much fun with it

Is it possible to open a chest/door from the inventory

15. reuno

reuno

@SupremeSmash > You can implement any action you want when an item gets used, so yeah, it's doable to have it open a chest or door when used. You can look at the inventory engine's documentation to learn more about how to create your own items.

SupremeSmash likes this.
  16. SupremeSmash

SupremeSmash

Nice one :)

17. Quinn221

Quinn221

18. Quinn221

Quinn221

If you plan on extending anything in the Corgi, you should learn the basics. Tons of free resources to learn, spend a few weeks learning, trust me it will go a long way.

19. kdgalla

kdgalla

20. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hi @reuno,

Thanks for your fantastic asset again. It worths every cent spent on it.

Could you add an option to Handle Weapon that disables attack/shooting when character is in freeze state on to do list?

21. Boopity

Boopity

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to create a modified object pooler that revives inactive game objects with health components. However, my tiny non-coder brain is struggling to figure out how to reference the health of game objects in the pool. My attempts to reverse engineer similar code from TimedSpawner aren't working out. Alternatively, I'm open to other options - I'm just trying to create an enemy that spawns other enemies as an attack (so TimedSpawner is out). Everything works except for the fact that previously killed enemies will spawn already dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

22. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

The "Spawn" function will revive their health if they have it, so you shouldn't need to reference their health components.

It's a protected function, however, so you'd have to make it public to reference it from other scripts. Start with the TimedSpawner and disable/bypass the timer (if you review the code, you should be able to find it in the comments).

23. SupremeSmash

SupremeSmash

I added Crouching and Crawling to the Jump script to not allow jumping in these states, it works but i was wondering if this is the correct way to do it?

Code (CSharp):
    2.             if ( !AbilityPermitted  // if the ability is not permitted
    3.                 || !JumpAuthorized // if jumps are not authorized right now
    4.                 || (!_controller.CanGoBackToOriginalSize() && !onAOneWayPlatform)
    5.                 || ((_condition.CurrentState != CharacterStates.CharacterConditions.Normal) // or if we're not in the normal stance
    6.                     && (_condition.CurrentState != CharacterStates.CharacterConditions.ControlledMovement))
    7.                 || (_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.Jetpacking) // or if we're jetpacking
    8.                 || (_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.Dashing) // or if we're dashing
    9.                 || (_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.Pushing) // or if we're pushing
    10.    [B]             || (_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.Crouching) // or if we're crouching
    11.                 || (_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.Crawling) // or if we're crawling[/B]
    12.                 || ((_movement.CurrentState == CharacterStates.MovementStates.WallClinging) && (_characterWallJump != null)) // or if we're wallclinging and can walljump
    13.                 || (_controller.State.IsCollidingAbove && !onAOneWayPlatform)) // or if we're colliding with the ceiling

24. Boopity

Boopity

@SupremeSmash If it works it works, but yeah it looks fine to me. Tho keep in mind that you might have to re-write that code if the jump script gets overwritten in an update. I'd make a note of any changes you make to base scripts so you know what to re-do if there's an update.
    @Boom_Shaka Thanks for the response! I might be missing something here, but I'm not sure Spawn is the right path because of its other 'baggage,' namely the actual spawning. I forgot to mention this in the original post, but I'm currently using a weapon to spawn the enemies. Basically just swapping out a projectile for an enemy. Might not be the smartest way to do it, but it works well with feedbacks and AI. That's why I figured that putting Revive in a modified object pooler would be the way to go.

javi_unity402 and SupremeSmash like this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@javi_unity402 > Sure, I'll add that to the todo list right away
    @SupremeSmash > If it works for you it's the correct way :) I don't see anything wrong with your code.

SupremeSmash and javi_unity402 like this.
  26. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

@Boopity - Understood. Review the SpawnProjectile function in the projectile weapon script. You'll find several references to the next game object - that would probably be the best place to reset it's health.

The timed spawner script actually uses the same line of code to reference the next object as the projectile weapon script. If you take another look at the Spawn function, you should be able to find the reference to the object's health and add it to the projectile weapon script (create a custom weapon if you haven't already).

Boopity likes this.
  27. Boopity

Boopity

Ah, I didn't think to look there. But that did it - it was just a simple copy-paste job! Thanks a lot for the help.

@reuno It feels weird to request it because it's so simple, but what do you think about putting the revive function from TimedSpawner into the ProjectileWeapon script? It's super easy to do it yourself once you know what to do, but at the same time it seems like it's the only thing preventing projectile weapons from working with certain objects. No big loss if it isn't in, but I'm not sure if there's a reason for it to not be in. Maybe there are some complications that I'm not aware of.

28. reuno

reuno

@Boopity > I'm not sure I understand why it'd make sense to have a revive method in a ProjectileWeapon. I mean you can, for sure, but it doesn't make sense for 99% of users, and it'd be much more suited in a dedicated class. But feel free to request that via the support form though :)

29. barminski

barminski

I would like to add coins to the multiplayer. I don't need to put them in inventory. Just want the players to be able to grab them.

30. reuno

reuno

@barminski > Sure, what's preventing you from doing it?

31. mmntlh

mmntlh

Hey @reuno! I am using "Pro Camera 2d" plugin for unity and don't want to use the corgi engine camera controller, so there is a camera shake function I want to call when the projectile hits the enemy and I can't figure it out where I would put the code.

32. reuno

reuno

@mmntlh > There are already events being fired when getting damage (or dying), among others. Don't hesitate to check out the documentation (or examples) to learn more about them. Intercepting these events and triggering your shake would be the easiest way to go, but you could also extend Health and add that there if you prefer.

33. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno about dialogue system, do you have a plan about adding images near the baloon? It could be an easy way to reproduce a conversation using avatars and showing objects

34. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > No plans to do so, that's typically something that would need to be tweaked for each game specifically, that is not specific to platformers, and is already quite doable with very little effort (just extending dialogue zones to add a reference to an image and maybe alternate prefabs for directionality.

It's never been requested as far as I can tell (although there have been general requests for "better dialogues" without any specifics), but I can absolutely add it to the todo list if you want. It'll be very low priority unless there's a sudden massive interest in these (most people just request platformer specific features).

luigi7 likes this.
  35. Muppo

Muppo

About that topic. What about including images alongside text?
    - i.e.: a NPC tells player "Press (A) to jump" where (A) is the green A button

36. reuno

reuno

Muppo likes this.
  37. Muppo

Muppo

Didn't knew that @reuno
    Gotta give it a try, thanks!

reuno likes this.
  38. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Is it easy, in your asset, implement a parallax background?

39. reuno

reuno

EstudioVR likes this.
  40. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Buying today or tomorrow. Thank you

41. reuno

reuno

@EstudioVR > Don't hesitate to check the list of features and the documentation to learn more about parallax (and the engine in general) to decide if it fits your needs or not.

42. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Just bought ALL engines. All the best

43. luigi7

luigi7

Add it if you want, anyway i'll do it by myself if i'm the only one to ask :)

reuno likes this.
  44. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno is there a way to make a circle or curved path for a moving platform? Thanks for your time

45. Sofiel

Sofiel

Sorry @reuno, Another quick question, if I want an AI to glide or any other ability, should I go the ai brain route (ai action) or making a new ai behavior like the aiwalk?

Thanks again

46. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > Not "bezier curve" curves, but if you just add more points you can get pretty close.
    As for your AI question, both would work. If it's "just" gliding and doing nothing else, go the simple route like AIWalk. If there's gonna be more decisions and actions, go AIBrain.

47. Muppo

Muppo

Splines / Bezier curves as path would be the smoother way to move them around, tried this method myself some time ago but these are not really necessary if you do as @reuno said. Also it turns onto more control to do tweaks per node.
    My two cents.

48. Sofiel

Sofiel

Awesome! Thanks again@reuno!

49. Sofiel

Sofiel

Thanks for your insight @Muppo!

50. Svonsil

Svonsil

Hello! I am using Unity 2019.1.6f1. The problem is I can't see the Level Bounds they aren't drawn. So I can't normally work with level. I think it's not the Corgi Engine problem but if you know how to fix it please help me.

Attached Files: