Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Hi, first of all, thanks for the great work, its amazing!

I'm trying to add a Pause Button to de HUD (UICamera), but when the level starts, the button is not interactable, and i don't know why!!
    I had a similar problem in the StartScreen (adding a button instead of pressing the jump button, because i prefer to not have the HUD in the MainTitle), and i solved it deleting the fadeOn wich comes when the game starts).
    But in this case i am lost.

Thanks for the help.

2. reuno

reuno

@Juaks > I've added buttons for mobile, or for the Network version, and never had any particular issue, and seen quite a few people adding buttons here and there using this asset. There's even a post just before yours quite heavy on the buttons :)
    When it comes to that, it's really a Unity issue, nothing to do with the engine.
    Without more information, it's really hard to know what your problem could be :)

3. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

woow look great the multiplayer corgi online vídeo.!!!!
    Hi @reuno! based on what network you will release the multiplayery?

Regards,

4. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > The Network version of the asset is based on Unity Network.

Jkc_dev likes this.
  5. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno might ask why Unity Networking? think it is gone leaving behind that solution because problems(lag, 32 player limit) and the new networking base as ulink, photon, etc

6. SIV

SIV

This looks amazing !!!
    I wonder if you can restrict characters to be selected with one player only ? mean once a character is selected it become disabled and cant be selected, like this it will not be confusing during the game :)

Also what about 2vs2 ?

And oh another thing, dont you think that the camera should have a zoom out limit ? or no zoom out at all ? imagine you are playing it in average/small mobile device, and the camera is zooming in/out many times, it will become annoying dont you think ?

Keep up the good work :)

7. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > The Network asset will run using Unity Network, as we aim to provide an "out of the box" experience to our users, so they can create a game without investing in a third party SDK.
    Of course, if you want to, you'll be able to extend the library to integrate one if you want. The whole network codebase is grouped into specific classes that can be very easily extended.

8. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@reuno > Thanks, you enlightened me xD
    The problem i had was that the Fader kept active at the start of the level, doing the buttons not interatables.
    Thats because i dont want see the buttons at the StartScreen, so i need to set them active at the start of the level, but the fader sets active first, so i added the line (LevelManager.cs, after fade in)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUIManager.Instance.fader.enabled = false;
    and it solved my problem.

Have you thought about adding functionality to save and load the process of the game?

9. reuno

reuno

@Juaks > Yes, that's on the roadmap. Don't have a precise ETA for that feature, as usual, but it's coming.

By the way, I'm working right now on fixing a few (really) minor bugs and consolidating stuff here and there.
    It won't be a major upgrade, and most of the new stuff will be under the hood, but it should make things easier and more robust for you in the long run :)

10. csotomon

csotomon

Hi @reuno, i need to simulate house stairs, for that I created a game object with an edge collider and assign the onewayplatform layer.

When the character is close to the game object automatically gets on the platform.

This is a video with an example.

11. reuno

reuno

@csotomon > that's not surprising, that's the expected behavior with an edge collider. If you want stairs, you'll have to code them, or wait until they get included in an upcoming release, they're on the roadmap. In any case, I'm afraid that's not gonna work that way.

12. csotomon

csotomon

But this works well on older versions of your engine.

I think it stopped working when you changed prime31's code.

13. reuno

reuno

Yes, changing code has consequences, but the engine is way more robust now. It was actually a collision bug that caused this to "work" before. It's fixed now.

That was not the proper way to do it anyway, I'll implement better stairs later, as announced. Send me a MP or support email with your invoice number and I'll be happy to discuss it further with you if you need help.

14. csotomon

csotomon

This is not a priority for me. I'll wait for new releases.

15. reuno

reuno

Alright :)
    One thing you can try in the meantime is to just have a slope at the angle of your stairs, and trigger a "climbing stairs" animation when the player's on it. You'll probably still have that glitch at the top of it, but you can add a script similar to what I did for the ladders to avoid it.
    Your game looks really cute by the way!

16. csotomon

csotomon

Thank U, I'll show U the game when this stay in a most advanced level.

I founded the origin of my problem, and this consist is that the rays cast start from the center of the character to the bounds plus and offset, and when the edge collider collide whit the vertical rays casting this automatically sets a _newPosition.y value.

Why do you do that?. I think that is most efficient the rays cast form the player boxCollider's bounds.

17. reuno

reuno

@csotomon > Well because in my opinion this is what proves to be the best solution with all sizes of characters, and it best suited my purposes. Of course, feel free to change it if you want to, it's very easy to change.

18. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Hi,

Great asset. How can I:

A) Make it two (or more) player?
    B) How do you put tiles on your pixellevel? Do you use any asset to help you put them in specific places like Rotors Tile System?

Thanks.

19. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

One more thing, I've tried to make a new scene with your asset and make a level from scratch but I constantly get null references from GameManager's Player reference. I think problem is I'm putting my player(s) in the scene and start the game and you instantiate them with your LevelStart checkpoint?

20. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > Hi, glad you like the asset.
    A > This features is coming in a future update. You can either wait for it or implement it yourself. I won't explain here how to do it, it's not really complicated but it's not exactly short to explain.
    B > I just placed them next to each other using Unity's scene editor, no plugin involved. You can of course use any tile plugin of your choice, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    And about your last question, the errors you get are quite normal, that's because that's just not how it works. You should have a look at the beginner's tutorial :

21. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Thanks for the quick reply!

It didn't occur to me to check for a video because I've read an old post of yours saying that there is no video (at that time obviously).

About the two player mode, is there any way I can just make it work with a hack or something? I'm under a deadline for a two player versus mode game.

22. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > Well you just have to code it. No magical hack I'm afraid.

23. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I've attached a Wired Xbox 360 controller. How can I enable it in the engine to make it work with the controller?

24. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > Well if you're on PC it should work by default, as the asset already includes bindings for xbox360 controllers. If it doesn't, it's like in any other Unity project, project settings > input. If you have more questions, please send me a DM with your question and invoice number, it's easier for me to follow that way.

25. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, any news about the multiplayer asset?

Regards

26. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > The network version should be released within the next 2 months. We're aiming for a polished product, so it takes quite a lot of time to make it bug proof.
    In other news, I'll be releasing 1.5.1 this weekend if all goes well. Lots of bugfixes and little tweaks!

27. arkhament

arkhament

Everything else PM to me if you are interested in my Network Solution Multiplayer(Obs: is not CorgiEgine code redistribution) that you can add separately to CorgiEngine Asset to make it multiplayer without the Unity Network :).
    I dont use the Unity Network because have the Client/User limit but i think is very good solution too.

Now i have implemented:
    1. Facebook login.
    2. Leaderboard.
    3. Animated UGUI.
    4. Perfect Network Sync.
    5. Character selection.
    6. Create Room(with name, players limit(min-max)).
    7. List Room (name, number of players).
    8. AutoLobby.
    9. Player Name.
    10. Player Score.
    11. Who kill who(name).
    12. Camera - Tracking Players like smash bros(2D and 2.5D).
    What next?
    I think to create something like characters stats with updates or something like that. i don't have very clear what next but i'm thinking in maybe something like that. :)

I will make a new video soon, this is the old video:

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  28. TeaAndBiscuits

TeaAndBiscuits

Great asset! Just bought this now, version 1.5, it runs very jerky on my Nexus 5 when moving (everything blurry), and the controls seem very very small, is there a way to enlarge them?

29. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > Again, really good job, thanks for sharing :)
    @TeaAndBiscuits > The mobile controls included in the asset are derived from Unity Standard Assets. They're just placeholders. Of course you can enlarge them, like any other GUI element. In any case, I suggest you replace them with better ones, more suited to your gameplay.

30. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I was checking out your great asset and I was wondering how your importing spine charcters. I happen to own spine and a few months ago I was using the spine runtimes to get them in. How does your system do the importing?

Exeneva likes this.
  31. reuno

reuno

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks for the NFO :) Also I noticed that in the demo that sometimes the character falls through the first slope on the first level? I was wondering if that was a fixable issue. Beyond that it looks like the best platform kit I have ever seen in Unity.

33. reuno

reuno

@SoloChristian > Yup, I fixed that issue already, gonna release a bugfix upgrade this weekend hopefully, along with a lot of other fixes. And thanks a lot, I'm glad you like the asset :)

34. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello,
    Id like to buy your asset but I have some questions (sorry for my english!)

In http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit the plugin of Unity crash when I try to start your demo. The demo at this link works: http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/html/
    As I read on previous post, maybe the problem is the video card ?
    I have Mac Mini Core i7 with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    My question: your asset will work with my Mac (on my Unity) ?

I'll buy this asset for mobile developing. Is the performance good enough to have a big and full level playable ?
    I think that the apk you link at the first post is too simple...you should make a tech demo as good as possibile the official demo that runs in http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/html/

My character (for example the fox of your demo) can have several weapons type (sword, shield, axe, spear...)
    My artis has to paint all frame of
    fox walking with axe
    fox walking with spear
    fox walking with gun
    fox running with axe..
    fox running with spear
    fox jumping with axe
    fox jumping with spear
    etc
    or with there is a better way to achieve this with your plugin ?

Thanks a lot! :)

35. reuno

reuno

@xitpu :
    1 > Yes, you'll just have to disable some camera effects (motion blur, mainly).
    2 > Thanks for the advice, but then the apk would weigh much more, and people would complain it takes ages to download. It'd still run smoothly. If you want to compile bigger levels and add more stuff in it go ahead, but I think as a tech demo the .apk as it is is ok.
    3 > It's a corgi, not a fox. And the way you create your characters has nothing to do with the asset, it's just regular Unity. You can take different approaches, in the asset (it's not a plugin btw) I illustrate how I do it with spritesheets and spine. You can also go the regular Unity mecanim way, maybe the easiest and most suited way for what you're trying to achieve.

36. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Thanks for answer, and sorry for the fox :(
    I think soon I will be your customer :)

37. reuno

reuno

I've just released v1.5.1.
    It's mostly bugfixes, but I threw in a few new features too.
    Here's the changelog :
    - adds vertical moving platforms
    -adds falling platforms : walk on them, they start shaking, after a customizable delay, they start falling (or going up, whatever you want). You can give them a try on the mountains level in the demo.
    -fixes a bug that could happen with ladders when having a tall playable character
    -fixes the "touch the ground" particle effect position on tall characters
    -adds a smooth movement option to the character behavior, that, if set to false, removes the interpolation for horizontal movement
    -fixes a bug that would cause the main character to fall through the ground when walking towards certain surfaces
    - prevents from triggering dialogue zones while jumping/dashing/being dead
    -updates legal mentions on the asset store
    -removed wall clinging permission on the pixel corgi
    -adds the sandbox level
    -fixes a bug that caused the player to be pushed fast to the ground when touching the ceiling in certain occasions

I've also removed the motion blur from both HTML5 and Unity Player demos, as it could cause trouble with some Intel GPUs. Hopefully now it'll be fine. To those of you who encountered this bug in the past, if you could give the demo another try and let me know how it went, I'd appreciate it :)

As usual, you should be able to upgrade within a week, as soon as Unity validates the upgrade. I hope you'll like it!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  38. snake77jt

snake77jt

what do you estimate the price for the multiplayer version of the asset

39. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > Not sure yet, it'll depend on the number of features it has on release.

40. snake77jt

snake77jt

are we not allowed to use any of the enemies in our commercial project? I am somewhat confused when you stated "characters".

41. reuno

reuno

You can use the enemies. Characters only means the "main/playable" characters.
    Again, the enemies are placeholders, I strongly advise you replace them with your own, better res, better animations, etc... I know I wouldn't use them as they are in a commercial project.

42. reuno

reuno

43. Algebra3

Algebra3

This is an amazing asset. Thanks for all the continuing hard work and new features in 1.5.1. The vertical and dropping platforms are great additions.

44. VolLuminatio

VolLuminatio

Hey @reuno,

The new package I downloaded from the asset store appears to be of an older version (pre-1.4) since the other playable characters and many new package contents are missing. I have tried deleting the package and re-downloading it. Is it possible the wrong version was uploaded or something strange on my end?

Also thanks for the great work!

45. snake77jt

snake77jt

@VolLuminatio it is something in your end because i have downloaded the new update about 2 days ago

46. VolLuminatio

VolLuminatio

Turns out I had to update my Unity. Strange that the asset store of the previous Unity version was giving an older version of Corgi Engine.

47. thedreamer

thedreamer

any news for 2.5D? I wait for 2.5d support

48. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno, the version in the store say is the 1.4.1 after download, and when you install that is the version.

49. snake77jt

snake77jt

You have to upgrade to unity 5 to get the new update. @Mr.Stein

50. reuno

reuno

@davespjut > Thanks a lot, glad you like it :)
    @VolLuminatio > No, it's not strange, that's just how it works on the asset store since Unity 5 (at least). You have to have a version equal or superior to the version used by the asset creator to upload the asset. In any case, it's always better to have the latest version of Unity.
    @thedreamer > 2.5d is still planned, not sure when it'll be released yet.
    @Mr.Stein > As @snake77jt said, your Unity version is probably outdated.