Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

To be fair to Prime, his code was used without permission with the 3Dbuzz misunderstanding and
    he did hear Reuno out and offered him an option to salvage the problem.

2. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Am I correct in assuming that it is ok to use the purchased scripts as assets in a game you ship, but not to sell them as assets (even if modified)?

3. p6r

p6r

One word : BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

4. reuno

reuno

@inthemilkywat > hum, yes it does :) Maybe you still have the old version in cache ? Try refreshing the page. To know if you have the last version (I should really add a mention to it somewhere), you should see 4 1-way slopes in the top left corner of the first level (and a jetpack jauge). Edit : forgot your second question, sorry : I've never tried 2DToolkit myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The engine works with 2D colliders. As long as 2D toolkit works with that (and as far as I can tell, it does), it shouldn't be a problem.

@sefou > no, it's not normal, that's a bug. Well I know why it's doing that. As I said, I've tried with the new controller, and following the feedback I got here, to have the player really "stick" to the ground, to avoid glitches and all that. So to have it leave the ground you have to "authorize" the take off. I forgot to do that when climbing a ladder (I generally jump on them when I test, silly me). Thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix it soon! If it's a big issue for you right now and can't wait til the next release, PM me and I'll explain how to fix it.

@NAiLz > I'm glad you like the asset :) Yeah that wasn't really fun times. It's too bad because that tutorial was fine and the guy seems to know enough to do his own stuff. Why steal other people's work ? And why not mentioning them ? Weird and sad. To answer your questions, yes the save/load game feature is planned, but probably not too soon. You should keep working on yours, you'll probably be done before I start :) I'm actually working with a friend on a multiplayer version of the engine. It's network based, and he's doing most of the coding so I don't have much details. What I can say though, is that in order for him to be able to implement it, I've already made the necessary changes. The controller, the behavior, everything's independent, and you can already have various "players" in the same game. If you look at how the InputManager class works, you'll see that it's basically a remote for the player. You could easily just add more input and direct it to Player2. It's also in my todo list, but if you have basic code understanding, you shouldn't have too much trouble doing it.

@awesomedata > Yay, I knew you'd like it. I have spent a whole week end getting the slopes and 1-way slopes right just for you. Ok not "just for you", but all your feedback was a lot of help and motivation. I also think that version is superior in various aspects. Anyway, I learned a lot of new tricks building it, and I know how to go further with it now, so stay tuned for new fun stuff in the coming updates. I wouldn't say @prime31's code is rubbish though, although I've taken a different approach with this new one, his (through that 3D buzz tutorial, sadly) controller taught me a lot, and I'm grateful for that.

@hodge_podge > Yup, he's a nice guy!

@Daniel311311 > You are indeed correct. Feel free to use part of all of this code in a game (commercial or not), as that's the whole point, but you cannot repackage it (the whole thing of course but also an animation, visual asset or script) to sell it as assets.

@p6r > Thanks a lot!

And remember, give it some good notes and comments on the store and the next update will come sooner :)

5. dcrdev

dcrdev

Hi Reuno,

I have seen a lot of videos of the game, and i have a doubt... I am new to game programming and unity, but for what i see when you play it you can see a wide area of he scene, i mean, the player looks small... is in the asset any way to change the default ZOOM of the scene when playing_? thanks.

6. reuno

reuno

@dcrdev > The player looks small because I have a large screen and I like it that way, but you can of course change the size of your camera, of your player, of whatever you want, just like in any Unity project.

7. awesomedata

awesomedata

@reuno & @hodge_podge
    Ah -- I see. My fault on that one. Maybe I went too far with that 'rubbish' comment. I wasn't aware he was nice about it in follow-up. That C&D thing I saw was pretty over the top imo though, so it kinda upset me since that's the kind of thing one should do in a PM -- not in someone's main thread in front of everyone.

Anyway, I dug through my own share of tutorials when building my platform engine the first time too (I made several iterations of the Zero Engine's platforming script to include all the features I wanted). I originally put the guy who wrote the tutorial in the credits because his code helped me a lot to grow my knowledge to the point I could write the engine all by myself. I didn't credit him because I borrowed his code -- I wrote my own version and used my own ideas -- I just realized that it is because of him I had something to start-off with that I could expand upon and reiterate, and thought that anyone providing something like that for free, should have a simple thank-you in the subsequent versions if I still used any of their original concepts or ideas. Only after my design had evolved to a new form completely did I feel I had the right to call it my own.

That being said, I understand the original guy being disgruntled that his code was being used without permission, but even if he were cool with your use of his code/concepts/ideas (or cool that someone was nice-enough to share that knowledge in a tutorial form), this new version of your platforming engine was the way to go regardless. I can really tell you definitely applied what you learned -- and evolved from it -- because I didn't glitch through even a single wall! ;D

Despite being a huge fan of tight collision physics and generally pushing them to their limits (i.e. jumpthrough slopes and jumpthrough stairs), I like that you can finally, in good conscience, call this system your own! :) The amount of confidence that gives your customers is nothing to sniff at. It shows that not only are you capable, but that you're not some d-bag out there trying to drain the life out of people through their wallets! Not a bad thing at all if you're looking to make a little money from this. ^ ___ ^

8. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

I have tested this build a bit, there doesn't seem to be any major bugs. The only thing I could find was the player can still jump and jetpack when he is "dead", that he needs to be airborne (but we already know about this one), and there is a rare collision bug where the player can warp under a platform object if he jet packs directly towards a steep slope.

That's it for bugs I was easily able to replicate, I did run into this really odd bug where the player would drop down ALL platforms when attempting to crotch after interacting with a bunch of objects. I have no clue why this happened at all as I wasn't able to get the bug's behavior working ever again after a restart. I suppose it could be due to a strange ladder or hit interaction and with the crotch's smaller hitbox, but right now its an anomaly to me.

9. reuno

reuno

@hodge_podge > Thanks for spotting these. I've ran into some of these myself, I'll fix them. On what version of Unity are you testing ? I've upgraded to the latest Unity5 today, and I've noticed some weird things when crouching, that didn't occur on 4.6. Still not sure why, and my Monodevelop keeps on crashing since the upgrade, which makes things a bit complicated right now :) Again, thanks for spotting these, they'll be my priority once I get things running again.
    @awesomedata > Thanks a lot, it means a lot to me that the jumpthrough slopes and all are up to your standards!

10. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

I am using Unity 5 as well. I tried to see if I could find any issues with the crouching on my 4.6 install and I couldn't find anything. It seems like an issue caused from upgrading to Unity 5.

11. NAiLz

NAiLz

@reuno

Thanks for the fast response. I actually dug into the input code a bit last night and see how easy it is to implement multiple characters. I'm hoping to release the game I'm working on a little later this year so I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again for the great support.

12. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

Does Cori Engine plays well with Ferr2D?

Where can we expect Spine Integration? And rope?

13. reuno

reuno

@NAiLz > Great! I look forward to seeing what you do with it :)
    @vicenterusso > As far as I know, Ferr2D works with 2D colliders too, so yes, it should work. Haven't tried it myself though. Spine integration was almost ready, but with the release of Unity 5 we'll have to wait for the spine runtime update from the Spine guys. Don't know about rope, there's no date for it yet.

14. jaelove

jaelove

Love the kit Reuno :). Do you think you could possibly add a shield in a future update?

15. NAiLz

NAiLz

@vicenterusso I use Ferr2D. So far they play fine together so long as you're using the Corgi layers/tags.

16. sefou

sefou

Hi reuno,
    i have a lot of error messages ( file CharacterBehavior.cs) when i import Corgi v 1 4:
    I use Unity 5 0 0f4

Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/character/CharacterBehavior.cs(733,28): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Component' does not contain a definition for `enabled' and no extension method `enabled' of type `UnityEngine.Component' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/character/CharacterBehavior.cs(757,38): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.Component.renderer' is obsolete: `Property renderer has been deprecated. Use GetComponent<Renderer>() instead. (UnityUpgradable)'

Assets/CorgiEngine/scripts/character/CharacterBehavior.cs(757,47): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Component' does not contain a definition for `material' and no extension method `material' of type `UnityEngine.Component' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

NB: Corgi v 1 4 work fine with Unity 4.6 2f1.

17. reuno

reuno

@NAiLz > That's very good to know :)
    @sefou > Unity should convert your project. You get these errors because renderer has been deprecated (same thing for the collider). I'll upload a Unity 5 package that fixes this, but Unity5 should fix it for you when you import the project. Don't you get a popup asking for an upgrade on the files when opening the project ?

18. sefou

sefou

@reuno ,
    it work fine now.Thanks. My bad , i forget clicking the popup. ;)

19. reuno

reuno

I've fixed a bunch of bugs today, I'll upload a Unity5 version tonight probably, that will include fixes for them all.
    From now on I was thinking of supporting only Unity 5 by the way. I honestly have no idea if that'd be a problem to anyone, so if it is, now's your chance to speak.
    @hodge_podge > I've fixed the crouch bugs, the ladder climbing one, prevented the player from shooting/dashing/etc when dead, but haven't managed to reproduce the "jetpack through a platform" bug. Could you take a screenshot or tell me the exact spot where I can reproduce it ?

20. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, I prefer if you can stay in version 4.6 please.
    I made a lot of changes over CorgiEngine second time and I think if you go to Version 5 i will need to make many more changes and that negatively affect me =/

Regards

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  21. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > I understand that, but on the other hand that would cut me from using the new APIs, and I don't think I want to miss on these. Post processing and all these look really yummy.

Edit : Out of curiosity, what's preventing you from moving to Unity 5 ?

22. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@reuno, I just do not think it will work properly with all my personalization, so I hope you can help/support me if I need help with that

23. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

Before you submit that fix, you should look into this collision bug more. I am simply holding move right and my jetpack key on this slope. Screenshot 2015-03-05 14.22.27.png Screenshot 2015-03-05 14.22.37.png
    As these screenshots suggests, what happened here is the player goes inside the object's geometry and then instantly gets thrown out to the bottom of the geometry once it is well inside. In this case he is thrown into the out of bounds area and is sent into the "dead" state. This bug is easier to replicate by lowering the jetpack lift rate on the player. This bug can also be done on a few other pieces of level geometry in the first sample stage.

24. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

Also, there is one bug where you press down when over a platform, or in the bottom of the water pool

25. reuno

reuno

@vicenterusso > that one is fixed already, thanks.
    @hodge_podge > thanks for the screenshots! I know why this happens. I'll fix it today if I find the time.

26. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

One other potential bug before I log off, if you jetpack while you hit a jump pad, your "boost" is instantly neglected since jetpacking overrides that value.

27. abatcat

abatcat

Hello very impressive work, do you have any plans for implementing a conversation system into your engine?

28. reuno

reuno

New release !
    I've just submitted v1.4.1. It's a minor update that adds Unity 5 compatibility, and fixes the following bugs :
    - fixes a bug when the player pressed down on a slope (caused by a change in Unity5 in the offset of animated collider2D)
    - fixes a bug that caused the player to jetpack through certain slopes
    - fixes a bug that prevented jumps in certain situations
    - fixes a bug that allowed the player to still shoot/dash/etc when dead
    - fixes a bug that prevented the player to climb up a ladder while grounded

To all of you who've spotted bugs, let me know if that fixes them for you.
    @hodge_podge > I don't consider the jetpack + jump pad a bug, that's the way I intended it to work, but I see what you mean. If you want to change that though, just change the way the jetpack defines its force. Right now it sets it, you'll want to add it. I don't like the feel of it myself.
    @abatcat > yes, it's on the list : http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit#roadmap

Edit : I've also updated the documentation.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  29. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

Excellent, I'm super glad to see you are making great progress and are making bugs a top priority. I really like how you made the weapon code a separate script. Do you think that you could add it on the road map to add the ability to easily create a contra style 5/3-way shot spread weapon and perhaps update the laser weapon to have a spread variable so that its direction can be more randomized? I very crudely added in the later (I simply added a bool for the feature, then a float on the projectile initializer to randomize its .y direction to my set float and did a simple Random.Range if my bool was true ). If time permits, I will take a stab at creating a shot-gun like weapon and post what I did (without spoiling the original script) if I do anything that others might find worthwhile.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  30. darkymdq

darkymdq

any tutorial !?

31. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

1.4.1 still has not been accepted on the asset store, so I can't test that on my own machine just yet. I have however tested the web build that is on the website and I am not able to find any of the bugs I have previously encountered.

The only thing slightly awkward is when you move to that on the far left at the very beginning of map 1. After you go up to the area that is above 45 degrees, you can still climb it very slowly and awkwardly if you tap the move left button.

32. reuno

reuno

@darkymdq > No proper tutorial yet, but there's a full documentation of all classes available, a readme to get you started, and all scripts are heavily commented. With all that, a tutorial ain't really needed, at least from the feedback I got so far.
    @hodge_podge > Yup, I noticed that one too. This and some weird jumps when walking up a slope are the 2 last bugs on my list. They're tricky but not really game blocking, so they'll wait til next release.

33. ksk_waqs

ksk_waqs

@reuno > When wait for the release of version 1.5? What will be added in this version?

34. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

35. reuno

reuno

@ksk_waqs > 1.4.1 has just been submitted a few days ago, it's not even published yet (hopefully it'll be validated by Unity soon). So I don't know when 1.5 will be released. When it's done, probably :) As to what will be in this version, I haven't decided yet, but have a look at the roadmap and it'll give you an idea.
    @Mr.Stein > Thanks :)

36. reuno

reuno

vicenterusso likes this.
  37. The_Daleatron

The_Daleatron

/edit

So i bought this it seems very versatile and im currently playing around in it, but im finding the lack of documentation on how to customize it troublesome, where do you read about customizing the raycasts and or setting up your character from a clean scene, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  38. 455224

Hey Reuno,

I bought your asset after seeing how complete and lovely it looked, with the roadmap being a big juicy plus for the future!

However, and maybe I'm missing something obvious here, I can't seem to find an easy way to remap the controls except for modifying the 'standalone' (I only intend to make this a PC game originally) the commenting in which doesn't seem very specific? I must admit my coding skills are quite basic, having only started a couple months ago, but are usually sufficent to navigate/modify scripts off the asset store, but not in this case?

Any pointers would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

39. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

No offense, but that kind of custom content can be very easily be made by a single developer. All you have to do is subtract from whatever variable you use for currency and switch the player's weapon to what he buys after a transaction. As for a different skin/character, all you have to do is change the current player prefab.

40. reuno

reuno

@The_Daleatron > Every class is commented. And there's a clean scene, called Minimal Scene, which contains all you need to start. Also, there's a readme file with instructions on how to start, and it also includes a link to a complete documentation of ALL classes. If you have a specific question, I'll be happy to help :)

@455224 > Controls are set as in any other Unity project, it's not something specific to this asset. I'm not sure what you mean by "the standalone", but controls can be set via Edit > Project Settings > Input. I hope this helps!

@ksk_waqs > Wow. "Very severely", really ? "A shop where you can buy skins" is not really the first thing that pops when I think "platformer engine", sorry. And as @hodge_podge pointed out, it's very easy to implement. There's already a points/currency system in place, with methods to add/remove money, methods for changing weapons, and changing the character's skin is as easy as replacing the prefab.

41. 455224

Ah, that makes so much more sense now! Everything I've done up to now, I've hardcoded the controls (guess thats because I'm still new to scripting!) so was looking for them there. Thanks for this!

42. NAiLz

NAiLz

Lol.. wtf is wrong with some people? You @ksk_waqs. Yup, you.

43. sirio21

sirio21

Hi! Any plan to add a rope system?

44. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

45. reuno

reuno

@455224 > You're welcome :)
    @sirio21 > Yup, that's planned.
    @hodge_podge > That's planned too. You mentioned it before and I've added it to my todo list (maybe not on the actual roadmap though).

46. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, I think something is wrong when you make a jump..
    Some times when you want to jump, the character make a mini-jump(and is not for the proportional key press)... I tried it in Unity 5.

by the way @reuno, what software you use to make your animated GIF image?

Regards

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  47. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, now i test in Unity 4.6, i got this:

- Ladders is not working at less you make a jump.
    - the problem of the mini-jump is not happening in Unity 4.6.

48. sefou

sefou

Yep.

Corgi ver 1 4 1 work perfectly with Unity 5 00f4.

49. reuno

reuno

Hi guys. I'm currently on tour in Spain for a week with my band, so I'm sorry if I don't reply much. I know about the jump bug. Usually happens when walking up a slope. I'll fix it when I get back.
    And I use spine and after effects for my animations :)

50. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno i mean how you generate GIF like this:

Have fun a lot in Spain mate.. :)