Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

I've just submitted v1.5.3. It's a minor release that includes the following :
    - fixes compatibility issues with Unity 5.1
    - fixes a bug that prevented from jumping when standing on an ascending moving platform
    - fixes a few quirks in the running animation of the spine powered characters

Note that this update requires Unity 5.1.

For the 1.6 update I think that's the only Unity version I'll support.
    Right now there are versions of the asset for 4.6.1, 5.0 and now 5.1. Maintaining all these versions is a lot of work and prevents me from adding new features. Plus from the emails I get it doesn't look like there's a lot of demand for these older versions.

As usual, expect a slight delay between that submission and the availability of the update.

GilwenGamer and Jkc_dev like this.
  2. Kanos

Kanos

Hi reuno.

Just bought the engine in the sale. Love it so far. Can we have a sneak preview of what will be in the 1.6 update :)

3. The_Least

The_Least

Hi, I'm thinking of getting this, but I'd like to modify the player controller so they can aim/shoot with the mouse while moving with WSAD. I'm guessing this would require a player made of multiple actors (legs, torso, arms/weapon). Would this be simple to implement, or would it completely break the current controller?

Something like this:

4. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

I second @The_Least suggestion, which ties into my next question, what kind of work would be required to get a bionic commando style swing arm working? I'm not necessarily asking for you to implement it but some pointers in the right direction in your code with your thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, if my levels are laid out procedurally, would your asset still work?

5. reuno

reuno

@Kanos > Thanks for buying the engine! I have a roadmap, you can see it here : http://www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit#roadmap As I've said many times, I focus first on having something stable, so bugfixes are always a priority. As for new releases, I never promise anything concerning the next releases before they're done, as I hate making promises I'm not 100% sure I'll keep. One thing I can tell you though : the next release will definitely include "bonus blocks" (think the question mark blocks in Mario), a preview version of them is included in the v1.5.3 I submitted last night.

@The_Least > That wouldn't break the controller if done properly. And you're right, breaking the character into multiple parts is the way to go.

@Intrawebs > The asset will still work with levels laid out procedurally, yes. All it requires is what's included in the MinimalScene (or MinimalLevel ? I forget) demo level, and that can of course be added procedurally. As for platforms, as long as they're properly set up (collider, layer...) you're good to go. Regarding the arm swing, it can be done, never given it much thought myself. There's nothing specific to the Corgi Engine there, I mean it's a feature you add, nothing (or not much) to remove/change in the actual system.

The_Least likes this.
  6. Kanos

Kanos

I guess based on the roadmap, if rope swinging is included at some point then you could modify that to make the bionic arm. There are other rope swinging assets out there that could be included as well perhaps.

7. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello,
    I just bought your Asset
    Really great work!

8. reuno

reuno

@Kanos > I've had a look at these assets and quite frankly if you're interested into rope physics, go ahead and buy one of these. If I ever implement rope physics it's gonna be basic, not as precise as what's already out there. Sometimes going for dedicated tools for specific, key features like that is the way to go.
    @xitpu > Well thanks a lot, glad you like it :)

9. codejoy

codejoy

Just got this asset. I want to now re-pipe my game to use this instead of the standard unity 2d physics. I think I can do this, and i don't think the trouble will be big. But I wanted to know if you were aware of any issues in it working with:

http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/

I use this for the tilemaps and plan to still use it, from what I can tell it shouldn't be an issue its all just collision boxes and layers.

Secondly I also use the slice sprite effects in this to do my own dialog box (a nice 8bit speech bubble one). Again I don't think I need to change this in corgi. I also use NGUI for a pause screen... though I like the simplicity of the Corgie one :)

Lastly: I really was targeting Ouya for this. I am wondering how the collisions are done and if it has more or less over head than standard Unity 2d physics collision etc. Hoping to get some performance not really using the unity2d physics engine anymore...

Right now the biggest modification I think I have to do is how the jetpack in my game works. Its like if you have a jetpack, or fuel and you tap the jump again on the second jump instead of a double jump you start jetpacking as long as that jump remains held down (again on the second jump). So you can jump, then jump again and if you got the jetpack or fuel you start to fly. I saw the InputManager and some other items I think I can retool to call the StartJetPack by checking the jumper of jumps in StartJump (if I recall the methods right). I hope so, if I could start using this in my game instead of the physics 2d engine the platforming would be infinitely tighter and I could finally have moving platforms :p

So hoping I can use this, if not the game still has charm and I can use this in the next game designed better cause of the possibilities this affords me.

10. MattyWS

MattyWS

Hey, I purchased both Corgi and Ferr2D and while I know it's not really your fault or your job to make sure different assets are compatible with Corgi but I was wondering if you were aware of an issue where if you push against a wall and jump, you go through the wall. It may not even be Ferr2D, it could just be something I'm doing wrong but I've only just started and I'm using pixel-corgi character for the moment while I setup. The wall collision works if you're just walking into it, it's jumping that is an issue. =) Link to asset below;

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11653

11. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > well that's a lot of questions :)
    I've never tried 2DToolkit myself, but I know people have mixed both and didn't report any issue.
    1 > Exactly, just collision boxes (2D) and layers. You can see an example of a tile based level in the asset. It's called pixel level or something.
    2 > I don't see why that'd be a problem. Really the only thing that could "break" the corgi engine is messing with physics, collisions, etc. With GUI you're pretty safe.
    3 > As far as I know and from the tests I've made, raycast collision detection was faster than 2D physics, and more accurate, which gives (in my opinion) a better feel to the game. As for the Ouya, I don't know enough about that platform to tell you what the better choice would be, I'm sorry. I'll be interested in your feedback on that, and if it doesn't meet your expectations and if you were specifically targeting that platform, let me know and I'll refund you.
    4 > Yes, the InputManager will be where you'll want to do these changes on the jetpack. Should be pretty easy, just count your jumps :)

@MattyWS > Hi. Well that's weird, people have been mixing Ferr2D and Corgi for a while now (never given it a try myself) and nobody complained (and what you're mentioning seems pretty game breaking so I guess they would have). Does that bug happen on the Corgi Engine's demo levels as well ? If not, it's probably something you're doing. All walls/platforms need to be on the Platforms layer, and have BoxCollider2Ds (or other colliders, like circles or capsules or whatever).

12. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Just bought and downloaded 1.5.3. The mobile controls don't do anything on my iphone 5s when I install the sample on it. Also, tried unity remote 4 on the iphone 5s & ipad mini retina while running the sample in the editor. No dice. I can see the mobile controls but tapping on it on the phone doesnt yield anything. Wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Followed the instructions on turning mobile support on via the menu in unity.

Note i'm using Unity Pro 5.1.0f3

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  13. reuno

reuno

@Brock Bondo > Hi, sorry you're having problems with that. But as mentioned quite a few times in this very thread, or on the asset's page (www.reuno.net/corgi-engine-the-best-unity-2d-platformer-kit) :
    Note that the asset includes demo controls based on Unity's standard assets cross platform inputs, for demo purposes. Feel free to replace them with better ones.
    You can download an apk of a demo level to get an idea of how it runs. I've tested it on a few devices without a problem, but I won't be held responsible if it breaks your phone.

I focus on adding platformer features to this platformer engine. The mobile controls are here so you can test how it runs on your phone, but they should be replaced with better ones, as these default, Unity provided ones seem to have issues on a lot of devices. If for some reason you thought you were buying an asset focusing on mobile controls, I'm sorry you were misguided and I'll buy a bigger sign to warn people, and I'll be happy to refund you, just drop me a line.

14. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Hey, not my problem man. If you don't care about this part of your code, they why should I care to report any bugs or issues. Now I'll go buy something to deal with the mobile controls and guess/hack how to connect it up with your code. Whatever is preventing your code to work on ipad/iphones is probably a simple fix if it worked before....

15. reuno

reuno

@Brock Bondo > Well maybe I wasn't clear. It's not that I don't care about it, it's just that it's Unity's code, standard assets. It's just here as a placeholder. Of course you can get/code a better one, that's exactly what I encourage people to do :) Let me know if you have trouble plugging new/better controls, I'll be happy to help.

16. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Ah, yes that makes more sense. I'm testing out the unity plugin Easy Touch 4 now.

17. MattyWS

MattyWS

I'm hoping to get controls similar to Limbo in so I guess I should be looking into something like Easy Touch as well. >.<

18. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

So, looks like to turn on your Jump Button.... just type in the word "Jump" in the Name field of Button Handler on the left shown in gold. And also select the ButtonHandler.SetDownState/SetUpState dropdowns which got disconnected and currently reads <Missing...>

19. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

The Update() statement inside the InputManager Singleton method is not firing all the time for iOS. It even exhibits the same symptom in the editor after doing a Build+Run on an ios device and then hitting play in the editor.

I can get the minimal scene to run in the editor fine if I close Unity and reopen. But then after build+run on the iOS device, it's jacked up again in unity editor runs and iOS.

Since it doesn't fire up the Update() statement, maybe we need to move the update statement outside the singleton?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  20. reuno

reuno

@Brock Bondo > InputManager's Update gets fired all the time on all the iOS devices I've tested. Are you testing on the demo levels or on a modified version ?
    The fact that it's a singleton doesn't/shouldn't affect the Update() being triggered. It has nothing to do with it.
    I'll be happy to help if you get more issues, just send me an email on the support email.

21. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Oh, I just created a blank unity project and reimported your package. It runs fine on iOS devices without modification. I think upgrading unity versions must have done something earlier on my computer to break things. It must not have had anything to do with your package.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. Thanks for making this package!

22. reuno

reuno

@Brock Bondo > Glad you figured it out :) Let me know if you run into other issues.

codejoy likes this.
  23. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

Is "CharacterBehaviorPermissions.WallJumpEnabled" implemented? Couldn`t find any mention in the code

24. codejoy

codejoy

I finally got to testing Corgi to see if it will work replacing how I am doing things. So far I couldn't be more happy. You are right, works with my tilemap and tk2d stuff. You are a pretty good coder and some things are brilliantly done. No interference with the GUI (that question was asked cause I know yours does some gui things but yes works great. It is amazing that the projectile stuff is in there too. All I have to do is really swap my graphics out and add some code to handle my special projectiles (i.e. ice freezes enemies etc). I am hoping that goes smoothly, I haven't looked at the AI controllers yet.

I will put up my review on the store proper but so far my review is: I wish I found this a year ago saving me a year of tweaking stuff to feel better but not great. I like what I see so much I decided to bite the bullet and gut all the work I did on character control and replace with Corgi.

I have some specialized things I am hoping I can fit in very well things like:

Weapon shots do different things.
    I have three types of jetpacks! This actually will wire easily I think. Already got the main one almost feeling like my original one but better... also I would mostly like your input on what I asked earlier:

I already almost got the jetpack working under one button, but there must be some private variables i'm not accounting for. In the InputManager I have this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     if (CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButtonDown ("Jump"))
    2.         {
    3.             if (!_player.BehaviorState.InDialogueZone)
    4.             {
    5.                 if(_player.BehaviorState.NumberOfJumpsLeft>0)
    6.                     _player.JumpStart (); //was just this line
    7.                 else
    8.                     _player.GetComponent<CharacterJetpack>().JetpackStart();
    9.             }
    10.         }
    12.         if (CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButtonUp("Jump"))
    13.         {
    14.             _player.JumpStop();
    15.             _player.GetComponent<CharacterJetpack>().JetpackStop();
    16.         }
    And I just set on the character controller numberofjumps to 1. This works right! I jump and if I hit it again it starts to jetpack, but "fizzles" i.e. I gain no altitude holding the jump button down. So I think the GetButtonDown does not work like I think it does?

So close and how well this works out of the box, this is one of the last hurdles before just having to rewire up my animations and super custom stuff with my own graphic for the dialog box (a 8bit looking speech bubble).

25. reuno

reuno

@vicenterusso > No, you're right, I missed that one. Pretty easy to fix, I'll include a fix for that in the next release.

codejoy likes this.
  26. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > I'm glad you like the asset and happy to read you managed to make it fit into your project :)
    As for the jetpack, your code looks good to me, that's probably how I would have done it too. Not sure what makes it "fizzle". Hard to tell without looking at your whole codebase (and I won't I'm afraid, don't really have the time), but I'd have a look at CharacterJetpack.cs if I were you. There are a lot of checks at the start of JetpackStart(), maybe one of these doesn't pass for some reason. Debug.Log (or even better, CorgiTools.DebugLogTime) is your friend.

27. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno is there a way to retrieve the fall speed? for fall damage etc?

28. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > Well yes, if you look at the code or the doc, you'll see that the CorgiController class exposes a Speed Vector2. That's what you're looking for.
    Also (and this goes for everyone), if you have other questions, first have a look at the code/doc, then please send me an email on the support email along with your invoice number. Makes it easier for me to track conversations. Thanks.

29. The Mearl Mansion

The Mearl Mansion

Hello every one !!! I bought the Corgi engine a few months ago and since have been building my own 2D platformer utilizing this great set of tools. So far I love it; The CE has really let me focus on making the kind of game I want to make.

@reuno - thank you for making such a great product.

I was wondering if there are any folks out there who are familiar with using Adobe After effects to generate sprite sheets and then adding that Animation to a new character in Unity?

I found a JSX plugin (sheetah) for AE that I thought might generate good sheets. I can animated in 2D and 3D but am not familiar with the latest and best tools. The sheets look good but once I get them into Unity the sprites don't anchor to the floor correctly. I put my sheet into Photoshop and the saw that they were not lining up on the grid correctly. After hours of trial and error with this pug-in I am just not getting proper results. Needless to say I like the Photoshop + Illustrator -> After Effects -> Unity (Pipeline) for character animation. Family, I need a tool that gives me consistent animation results so I can continue to make this cool game. Please lend me your expertise.

Any suggestions on a good pipeline out of AE to Unity for good 2D sprites? If I am doing something wrong or animating incorrectly in AE please let me know. I'm need all the help I can get. This is a bottle neck because before I move forward with the environment art I need to get the main character animation finished.

Suggestions?

-Ryan

30. painkiller2007

painkiller2007

When you try to jump from a moving platform E.g. Horizontal moving platform in scene "Mesa1"... the height of the jump is considerably reduced for some reason. How do i make it so that the jump height is the same as that of when I'm on the ground ? It should be consistent ... Any suggestions to fix this thing ?

31. reuno

reuno

@painkiller2007 > You're probably using an old version of the asset. What version do you have ?
    Edit : Woops, forget about that, I can see what could cause that to happen. Will fix it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  32. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Yes.. that's what i was going to ask, it isn't fixed in 1.5.3v?

33. reuno

reuno

@Juaks > Different thing.

34. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hi reuno,
    I am using spine with your Asset
    My problem is that when MinimalLevel starts my player is 'floating' over the ground
    Into #Scene I can see that the problem are the vertical raycasting that are too long and they are under the feet of my player.

Where is the problem,
    I made a 'problematic' sprite into Spine or I have to 'move up' the raycasting in some way ?
    In witch way I can solve my problem ?
    Thanks

Edit: Problem was in BoxCollider2D, thanks reuno :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  35. reuno

reuno

@xitpu > Hi, I'll just repeat mysef : if you have questions/bugs, first have a look at the code/doc/video tutorial, then please send me an email on the support email along with your invoice number. Makes it easier for me to track conversations. Thanks.

36. GilwenGamer

GilwenGamer

I really appreciate the documentation you've done in code an in the doc's.

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, great asset. I purchased and and now checking it out. 1 question. How / where to change the dialog text? I can't find a tutorial nor anything in editor to change/edit it.

Where is the video tutorial that you mentioned earlier here?

Thank you

38. reuno

reuno

@Devision4 > In the inspector. You just have to select the Dialogue Zone and then there's a custom inspector that shouldn't need any tutorial. If you still can't figure it out, that code's fully commented, but I don't think you'll need it.

39. reuno

reuno

40. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Should be nice if in the inspector we could configure a (fixed) player response to make simple dialogs between characters.. Should be funny I think :)

41. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

lol, thanks now I found it :D

42. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Hi,

Trying to respawn players but their "BehaviorState" gets null. Any idea?

43. gleondiaz

gleondiaz

Greetings @reuno.

My cousin just bought the asset, I can just say that it is really amazing!, Excellent work there.
    I just checked the weapon feature, and I was wandering is there a way we could make the weapon don't shoot automatically?. I mean , auto shoot is very good for a machine gun but for another type of gun for example a pistol it would be great to fire the gun just when the player pushes down the button. It would be nice also to add a Charging feature too You know like megaman mega buster. ;):) The double tapping to dash would be nice too.

44. codejoy

codejoy

I don't want to speak for @reuno but I know he is busy... so I will give some hints. You would probably have to change two things:

InputManager and CharacterBehavior. Not much though, mostly you see how it counts the NumberOfJumps in the character behavior? you could implement the same idea for when the right or left button are pressed (with some brains in it to know if it is in the correct direction). Also keep in mind there are three different states of a button: Down, Up and "held". I sort of did something similar, in my InputManager I wanted a double tap on a jump not to double jump but instead to jetpack. The hardest one was making sure it would start on a double jump (thats a button down, up and down again) and then keep jetting while the button is held thereafter. Your double dash would be easier I suspect. really just have to add the data to count the dash counts with a decay so that if so much time has passed then you reset the counts of the dash.

I know this isn't code written out for you but it some ideas on how one might do this.

45. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno I have been clicking along in replumbing my code base to use the engine. It is going pretty well so far. Though I think I might be doing it poorly for future upgrades of the corgi engine, if it gets an update? and I am making my changes in /CorgiEngine to code like the InputManager, will this wipe out my changes if I get an update? I am looking forward to the push blocks, without it using a physics engine no idea how i would start that.

I have one other question: The ray casts that the Corgi Controller uses, it is what updates the _controller.State.IsCollidingAbove? I created some new AI scripts 1) to make some bad guys hug a wall and move up or down it (really extended the SimpleWalk). I also wanted it where the AI would stick to a platform and not go off it, I didn't see anything else so I created a AI Stick to Platform Walk script. It works great for my horizontal moving enemies, but I cannot figure out how to "look ahead" vertically to see if there is no more wall. Any hints, ideas where to start on making this works probably using the ray casts? I got it to work for horizontal enemies with a total hack. Adding it here:

Code (CSharp):
    1.       // moves the agent in its current direction
    2.                 _controller.SetHorizontalForce(_direction.x * Speed);
    4.                 // if the agent is colliding with something, make it turn around
    5.                 if ((_direction.x < 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingLeft) || (_direction.x > 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingRight) || (_controller.State.WasGroundedLastFrame&&_controller.State.IsFalling))
    6.                 {
    7.                     _direction = -_direction;
    8.                     transform.localScale = new Vector3(-transform.localScale.x,transform.localScale.y,transform.localScale.z);
    9.                 }

That works pretty well, you see the enemy go far off the platform before it turns around but its close any help to make this better would be great. Also my vertical moving enemies:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // moves the agent in its current direction
    2.             _controller.SetVerticalForce(_direction.y * Speed);
    4.             // if the agent is colliding with something, make it turn around
    5.             if ((_direction.y < 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingBelow) || (_direction.y > 0 && _controller.State.IsCollidingAbove))
    6.             {
    7.                 _direction = -_direction;
    8.                 transform.localScale = new Vector3(-transform.localScale.x,transform.localScale.y,transform.localScale.z);
    9.             }
    Won't avoid any gaps, any ideas on what to add to that if (hopefully without having to do anything to the CorgiController) would be great im out of ideas on this one.

Thanks again! This asset so far impresses me the more I continue to use it.

46. reuno

reuno

@xitpu > Good idea, I'll add that to the list of things to do.
    @UnbreakableOne > Does this happen with my respawn code ? If it persists, send me an email describing the issue along with your invoice number.
    @ToxicShade > @codejoy pretty much said it all. It's not exactly hard to do, you just have to change InputManager, have it look for double direction presses instead of the dedicated dash button.
    @gleondiaz > there's no such option right now, but these are all good ideas, I'll add them to the list. You can of course modify the code to remove the automatic shooting. Basically it all happens in InputManager. Or you can change the fire rate in the weapon's inspector. It's still gonna be auto though, just slower auto :)
    @codejoy > well yeah, an upgrade might wipe your changes. That's why ideally you'll want to implement your changes in new classes, that call the Corgi Engine's methods. I try and not change method names and preserve as much compatibility in each update these days so if you do that you're covered. And yes, the raycasts are what handle collisions, and update the various "colliding" states.
    As for your particular problem, yeah raycasts seem like a good way to do it. You can look at the AI script for the blob enemies. They detect the player using raycasts and move in its direction. That could be a good example for what you're doing.

gleondiaz and matteo-piccioni like this.
  47. codejoy

codejoy

@reuno thanks again. Just to make sure I don't mess this up. Is the preferred option then as you say to just make new classes. So if I wanted to modify the CorgiController to add a few booleans, I would want to copy that file as like MyCorgiController and add my extra data (booleans few methods) and then just use that on my GameObjects as a component instead of the Original CorgiController?

Or is there a better way through maybe somehow inheriting the class?

48. reuno

reuno

@codejoy > You could inherit, you could add another class to your prefab, I honestly haven't thought of a "best" way. My method when dealing with similar cases mixes a bit of all that depending on the scenario and what I'm changing. In all cases, my only advice would be : use version control (git or whatever you prefer). That way if I/you change something and then it breaks everything, you won't end up in the corner of your room, alone and crying forever.

KeepTrying likes this.
  49. dannydaboy1984

dannydaboy1984

Hello i have a question how van i change the text in the text dialogs?

50. reuno

reuno

@dannydaboy198 > Select the dialogue box, change the text in the inspector.