Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Fronne

Fronne

This asset is a GREAT piece of ART, well done!!! I purchased it just two minutes after seeing the vid...
    First impression of the engine is awsome, I don't need it for my current project but could not resist the temptation...
    I noticed you sell Personal Work, is it possible to buy some digital art to use them for sprites or anything?

Great job, I'm impressed...

Jkc_dev likes this.
  2. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

In C#, 0.1 is the same as writing 0.1d, so it is a double and not a float.

3. fenderjag10

fenderjag10

No joy so far with this :(

4. reuno

reuno

@Fronne > Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like the engine :) It's not possible to buy digital art (from me) to use in your game right now, but that's a good idea, I hadn't considered it. I'll think about it.
    @fenderjag10 > What happens if you redownload the asset, and build one of the default levels ? Still not working ?

5. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@fenderjag10 - i had a similar problem, is the GameManager's bool "CanMove" enabled when you run the game?

6. fenderjag10

fenderjag10

Think i have found the problem, the gameManagers prefab appears to be getting deleted from the scene once the scene is built. Any ideas how to fix this? Juaks, the bool is enabled, thank you.

7. reuno

reuno

@fenderjag10 > I guess I'll just ask again : what happens if you redownload the asset, and build one of the default levels ? Still not working ?

8. fenderjag10

fenderjag10

sorry reuno, it appears to be working ok with the included levels, but once i start building my own scene it's not having it. As far as i can see the game manager is being deleted, thus not letting the character move.:confused:

9. reuno

reuno

@fenderjag10 > Well then it's most probably something you're doing when "building" your level.
    Have a look at the MinimalLevel scene. As the name implies, and as explained in the FAQ, it has everything you need to build a level the right way. Just use that as a starting point and you'll be fine.

10. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@fenderjag10 - ok i had the same problem, but only sometimes.. It happens to you in all the levels? In my case it happens when i don't build the TitleScreen level, but building the TitleScreen and loading the other level, the GameManager doesn't dissapear, a weird thing yes xD I think it's a Unity bug rather than CorgiEngine.

v1.5.2 it's available to update! Thanks reuno!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  11. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

Hello I just purchased your engine v1.5.2 and I find it very well done and documented :) I am happy with what Ive found so far and can't wait to try everything in it.
    I do have a bug I guess where I used the basic level to try my own animated character.
    What is wrong is that whenever the level starts the character is spawned on the top right of the level bounds and falls till it disappears to reappear on the start checkpoint.
    my question is how are the checkpoints managed and how to set their priority over others and how to define the starting point?

I can send you my test scene if necessary.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  12. reuno

reuno

@JAKAMY > you should probably have a look at this video :

If you still have the problem after that, please send me an email through the Unity support email along with your invoice number and I'll try and help.

13. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

I did use the tutorial to decide my purchase. Through debug Ive found that if the UI camera is disabled the character doesn't start at the starting point.
    Thanks

14. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

For anyone interested: when you get the character to run and keep pushing the run button but release the direction button, the character keep playing the run animation while standing still.
    in order or have it go back to idle Ive added another check on the line 77 of the input manager script:
    from
    if (CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButtonUp("Run"))
    _player.RunStop();
    to
    if ((CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButtonUp("Run"))||(Mathf.Abs(_controller.Speed.x) < 2))
    _player.RunStop();

the float value 2 is the value used in the engine's characters animators to check that the character isn't running anymore but It doesn't get used.

cheers

15. reuno

reuno

@JAKAMY > Yup, that's a bug indeed.
    I wouldn't recommend your solution though. Don't get me wrong, it'll work, but InputManager, as the name implies, should only handle input. Instead you should change that in the animator, whose role is to handle, well, animations.
    That can easily be done, by replacing the "running" condition from run to walk by a speed check. I'll include that fix to the next release for those who can wait until then. Thanks for spotting it :)

JAKAMY likes this.
  16. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I've modified the asset to work with InControl, will it help if I upload it somewhere?

17. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > Well I'm afraid you can't do that. You can't redistribute the asset, even for free, so please don't.

18. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Of course I won't distribute the asset, just wanted to share my modifications to allow plugging in InControl. Also made edits to make the Corgi engine multiplayer friendly. Surely it's not as good as your edits but then again.

19. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > I understand, but still, it's against Unity's terms and conditions.

20. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I think I didn't make myself clear. I meant to provide a cross over code that if you have InControl separately, you could switch to it and that would make Corgi work with InControl, rather than what it currently has.

21. reuno

reuno

I get it. If it's like a new class it's ok. As long as it contains some of my code, it's not ok.
    If you want to keep discussing it, please send me a PM.

22. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

you feel like you're really paranoid sometimes @reuno.
    With a small part of the code(perhaps not even a small part) will not harm you, but rather will benefit you and your asset.

At least let him send you the code to add to the next update, I think putting another thanks to your Readme file with his nickname @UnbreakableOne would be nice. After all his contribution will make more solid and strong to your Asset.

Shows your charisma as a seller my friend.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  23. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > Well I'm sorry if I sound paranoid. I have to deal on a daily basis with people who've pirated the asset and who ask for support. Most of the time they have downloaded a modified (and badly modified) version of the asset. I can't even help them, as I don't know what changes have been made. I also have to deal with people stealing my stuff and putting it on Greenlight, Google Play, Apple Store... So yeah fun days. So hopefully you'll understand that I'm trying to keep the asset as easy to use as possible for you. Adding support for an asset that is most certainly great, but that I didn't know until yesterday won't make the asset easier to grasp for a beginner. It'll make it more complicated. However, if someone wants to contact him and discuss it directly, go ahead. I just don't want the codebase uploaded somewhere. Really if we could just focus on making games instead of discussing what I should/shouldn't do sometimes...

Jkc_dev likes this.
  24. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

It all depend on the culture we inherited.
    I remember while studying in Orleans Uni in France that one of my professors kept projecting slides while teaching that we had to write by hands quickly while he was teaching as he only gave us an emptied copy of the slides. I asked him for a copy of the full slides and he said no way! you should have copied what you could while he was teaching. doing so of course undermine the course absorption rate... anyway I pressured him and he said he doesn't want others copying his work!
    My previous bachelor was in the US so imagine my cultural shock :p cooperation and sharing of knowledge is what built the internet. And it can be done in a way that respects the copyright owner. For example in this case only sharing inherited classes and details to work with the Add-on.
    My take is that I enjoy working with this engine and recognise the hard work the author spent on it. How it is extended is his decision and I respect that. As for not sharing copyright code as a game developer and game player I say it's a must.
    Cheers

25. reuno

reuno

@JAKAMY > As I said, "only sharing inherited classes and details to work with the Add-on" is completely fine with me. Sharing the whole, modified asset is not.

JAKAMY likes this.
  26. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

When an objects enters into the player, some part of the code causes the player to separate them and makes the player jump up (probably to make it avoid and escape the inserted object).

I need to make a certain player check something and if it was not true, do this behavior and if not, ignore it and let it get into the player.

How can I achieve this behavior?

If it's too much hassle, please tell me where in the code causes the player to jump up to escape the collision.

27. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > You can't just remove the part that makes the player "jump up". That's the whole collision system. Well of course you can remove whatever you want, I just mean collisions won't work anymore.

What you'll want to do instead is disable the object's collisions if it meets your requirements.

28. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

Yes I had this while implementing wall climbing and top corners climbing. Just made it keep a micro distance between the boxes when climbing over the edger corners to avoid my character shooting to the stratosphere.

29. ajdrew81

ajdrew81

@reuno Can you incorporate fall damage to this asset? Or point me to which script I should edit to achieve this? Also could you add flying enemies?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  30. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

This is a very good answer, I want to know too please @reuno..

31. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Create a fly path and set the gravity to fly.

@reuno - can you explain what have you changed to fix the problem with the moving platforms? Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    ajdrew81 likes this.
  32. ajdrew81

ajdrew81

Thanks for the tip! I am going to create a new AI with this behavior.

33. JAKAMY

JAKAMY

This is what I did as a temporary solution today till we get a fix in the upcoming updates. Its very rough but do get the job done for what I need at the moment for the gameplay
    For not being able to jump on an upward moving platform:
    -in CorgiController script. inside the method CastRaysBelow() I replaced the check //if (hitConnected) by
    if ((hitConnected)&&(_externalForce.y<=0)) this way you still jump. but it doesn't include the moving platform velocity (maybe fix it later if needed).

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Mr-Stein likes this.
  34. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@JAKAMY - thanks, but @reuno has fix it in the 1.5.2v, i've found it in CorgiController script.
    Thank you.

35. reuno

reuno

@ajdrew81 > Not too sure about fall damage, it's very easy to implement but pretty specific, so I'm not sure I'll include it. Flying enemies are also pretty easy to do with everything that's already in the asset. As @Juaks said, you just need to assign it a fly path.

To all : I've tested shortly the asset with the new Unity release, 5.1, and have met a few bugs. I'd recommend not updating right now if you can wait for the fixes. Not sure yet what's causing them but hopefully I'll have a fix online this week.

36. reuno

reuno

Alright, I found what was causing issues with the new Unity release, 5.1.
    If you've updated to that last version and are having weird glitches, set your character's rigidbodies "Interpolation" parameter to none. That should solve it. I'll include that change to the next release.

37. aibolit

aibolit

Guys, could you give me a hint. What is difference between this asset and Playmaker? Is it sensible to compare them at all and which one is most useful in terms of development of comparatively simple 2d platformer games?

38. anmm

anmm

Is multi-player on the roadmap? Any idea when it might get released? I have an idea for a 2d platform capture the flag style game and would love to use this as a starting point.

39. reuno

reuno

@aibolit > Well I'll let others answer that one, but I don't think Playmaker and the Corgi Engine have much in common. I've never tried Playmaker myself, but I don't think it's a 2D platformer engine.
    @anmm > Yes, multiplayer is still on the roadmap, and, as previously announced, it'll get released when it's done.

Jkc_dev likes this.
  40. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @reuno, can you tell us what include the multiplayer? I mean is a versus, capture or keep the flag, coop?

41. reuno

reuno

@Mr.Stein > So far the demo will revolve around a deathmatch like versus thing.
    But as for the regular Corgi Engine, the value doesn't reside in the demo gameplay, but rather in the support classes. The asset will solve sync issues, and provide a strong basis for your own rules. So from there creating a capture the flag or whatever floats your boat will be quite simple.

TheValar likes this.
  42. TheValar

TheValar

Playmaker is a is a visual scripting tool. It lets you program games without knowing how to write code basically. Corgi is a set of scripts and assets forming a template/toolkit for making 2d platformers so they're serving two completely different functions.

reuno likes this.
  43. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Does anyone have any problem with the Moving Platforms after the fix? Now i cant jump when the platform is going up =S

44. reuno

reuno

@Juaks > I can see how it can happen in some cases. I'll include a fix for that in the next release. Sorry about that.

Jkc_dev likes this.
  45. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Hi!
    Sometimes when I respawn (checkpoint) the character falls through the floor, does someone have this problem?
    I've tried setting the checkpoint higher, but sometimes it doesn't works =(

46. fightingfaders

fightingfaders

Hi Juaks! I am also having this problem after porting my game to android (nexus 5). It works fine with the pc build but I noticed the same thing happing on mobile, I also tried the same fix i.e. moving the checkpoint object up some times to the top of the level bounds : ( with no real success. My theory is that it's a drop in frame rate that causes this bug do to the fact that the player when killed simply drops down on the y axis(does not actually remove the player from the scene and reload it). I feel that on the frames that spawn the player back to the checkpoint position, the player has fallen so far down on the y axis or that the frame rate has slowed just enough that it doesn't make it back to checkpoint position. Just my theory I don't really know for sure but it would be great to hear a fix from the dev. Making the checkpoint system work with a collider trigger rather then a vertical y position would be a great help to level design as well, give the option to create levels going vertically or from right to left with checkpoints.

Jkc_dev likes this.
  47. reuno

reuno

@fightingfaders, @Juaks > very good theory, and very good solution. You're right on both counts.
    The engine is tailored to provide the best solution in most cases, while trying to keep it simple for beginners. Obviously, if for some reason you know you're gonna meet drops in frame rate or stuff like that, you need to tweak accordingly.

48. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

@fightingfaders thanks!! Yes, i'm working on Android too, and I also had problems with the checkpoint system trying to put checkpoints in different parts of the level like you talk.

49. TheValar

TheValar

@reuno I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and am thinking about finally picking up the asset with the current sale going on. Wanted to ask about the legal restrictions you posted here and on the store page
    1) What exactly does this encompass. Does "All Characters" mean all playable characters, enemies, and followers?
    2) Obviously the asset was approved, but are these legal restrictions even allowed? They seem to conflict with the Asset Store End User License Agreement

At the end of the day I would probably want custom art assets in any game I made with this but even so, I want to be sure I know exactly what I'm buying before I buy it :D

50. reuno

reuno

@TheValar > "All characters" in this case means "all playable characters" (I should change that, you're right).
    Well as you say the asset was approved, and as far as I know I still have the right to copyright stuff.

In any case, I added this legal stuff because I had to handle a lot of people who just pirated (in most cases) the asset, compiled it, and published it without a single change to the Play Store, Apple Store, Greenlight, etc... And in some cases under my name, or calling the game "corgi engine", or pretending they created the characters, etc... Sometimes the "game" was bugged, or infected with a virus, stuff like that. It's damageable to me and the asset, as it creates confusion. That's the reason for the legal stuff. Plus the placeholder characters included in the asset won't get you very far, they include a bunch of animations but you won't be able to create new ones from that. They're just placeholders. And that's just my opinion but if you're at least a little bit serious about games, you'll probably want to include your own art.

I hope this answers your question.

TheValar likes this.